Toy doity boids sittin on a coib eatin doity woims
Along come Poil, the goil with the golden coils
And her boyfriend Hoib, the guy that woiks at the shoit factry
They saw those toy doity boids eatin them doity woims
And boy was they patoibed.
Sam the Centipede

Bragg Manhattan DA charges tfg? Hush money. tfg “INDICATED!”

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Yeah, but it's not disrespectful to mispronounce (differently pronounce?) ordinary words. Names, it can be.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrum ... 6380272121
We have a Rigged Judge, who is working for the Democrat Party and refuses to terminate this “case,” which should have never been brought by Soft on Crime Alvin Bragg. Judge Merchan should immediately removed, and the Appellate Courts have to take over. That also applies to Corrupt Judge Engoron, who knew I did nothing wrong, and still fraudulently fined me $500 Million Dollars while having no knowledge of Valuation, Finance, or in any way what he was doing. Same with Judge Kaplan, who allowed a woman, who I have never met (celebrity photo line does not count!), and know nothing about, to get a lawless judgment of $90 Million Dollars. New York Justice is in shambles, and only the Appellate Courts can save it. A Republican doesn’t stand a chance - This is not Justice.…

Page 2: This New York Cabal, run by Crooked Joe Biden’s White House, is a hit job on a Political Opponent the likes of which the USA has never seen before. For the Good of our Country, it must be stopped. The Crooked Joe Biden Witch Hunts have to be ended. REPUBLICANS IN WASHINGTON MUST TAKE ACTION!
Clip of Hannity and Jonathan Turley in the link if anyone wants to listen.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Tfg keeps insisting he knows nothing about E. Jean Carroll. He also keeps posting her cat’s name and her nickname for her husband to try to minimize his sexual assualt of her. :mad: :mad:
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

andersweinstein wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:10 pm Transcripts, transcripts, get yer red hot transcripts (by close of next business day) right here:

https://pdfs.nycourts.gov/PeopleVs.DTrump-71543/Transcripts/
Huh, still only first day up as i post this, but transcript format at link has changed from one pdf, conveniently downloadable and scrollable, to a $%^!*# one-page-at-a-time HTML presentation of transcript page images you have to click through to read.

chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

The transcript was a single pdf file last night.
andersweinstein

chancery wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:34 pm The transcript was a single pdf file last night.
Right, that's now gone and URL to pdf document no longer works.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

I'm guessing they decided they didn't want the material in editable pdfs?

Luckily I had opened up the pdf shortly after it was posted, so I was able to read it this AM with ease.

Take-aways--

I read through Merchan's jury instructions (don't judge me) and they were delightfully clear. I know they're well-worn, but I like to see the little distinctive touches.

- He's very against speaking objections. Just "Objection"; no one or two word descriptor.
- He spend a lot of words explaining how the jurors should treat their notebooks.
- On the other hand, no mention of lunch or break schedules.
- A little light on his role as explainer of law, but thorough on What is Evidence?

Pros Opening Statement

- Really well written--and if he was not reading it, he must have largely memorized it or have been speaking half from memory and half from note cards. My editorial eye found very, very few signs of extemporaneous speaking. A few annoying ands and evens

- Good opening, imo. The only material that wasn't directly related to the events of the case was a page or so spent discussing the Cohen issue. Perhaps not without coincidence, that section was the least effective.

def Opening Statement

- Neither memorized nor studied. It's annoying to read transcripts from people speaking extempore that have not been cleaned up, but I'm sure he made his points.

- For myself, I can't get past the fact that they're denying fuckhead had any involvement with anything other than setting up the plan with Pecker and then letting Cohen take over with little or no further involvement. Good luck with that.

- They pushing one of their favorite claims - that Cohen committed perjury (or admitted to perjury; it's hard to tell) in the Engoron trial. "He's going to tell you that he lied in court a couple of months ago" did not go over well. Ojb. Sus.

- All the sidesbars are transcribed. Yay!

- I blushed when I read in the tweets that Blanche was portraying fuckhead as a family man. I blushed harder when I read it in print. Just idiotic. Half of his mind must be on making the points fuckhead wants him to make, because this could not have gone over well.

Pecker One

- He's a really good speaker. He uses complete sentences jam-packed with content.

- On Day 2 of his testimony (no transcript yet), when he was talking about fuckhead the world's most eligible bachelor, and about how he wanted the stories he killed for two reasons, one to help fuckhead, and two to publish later if they turned out to be true, I kept thinking about Blanche's Family Man material. I'm sure the Jury noted the contrast between whitewashing and reality.

finis
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

The complete transcript in a single pdf is available on the Law360 digital docket for the NYC Trump prosecution:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ipt-042244

As for whatever persons are responsible for the change on the NYS Courts page,

:torches: :torches: :torches: :torches:
andersweinstein

p0rtia wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:42 pm :yeahthat:

That pdf itself just contained a sequence of page images in one document, so didn't support text search or selection to copy/paste an excerpt as text. But you could quickly scroll through large chunks to get to a bit you wanted to see.

This is such a new thing, maybe still evolving.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

andersweinstein wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:49 pm
p0rtia wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:42 pm :yeahthat:

That pdf itself just contained a sequence of page images in one document, so didn't support text search or selection to copy/paste an excerpt as text. But you could quickly scroll through large chunks to get to a bit you wanted to see.

This is such a new thing, maybe still evolving.
."

In fact, the pdf I read (sorry I closed the ta bwhen I finished reading) was searchable. I used the search function several time, notably to find all instances of "Objection."
realist

Post by realist »

chancery wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:46 pm The complete transcript in a single pdf is available on the Law360 digital docket for the NYC Trump prosecution:

Curious as to why the first page of the first day is page 817. Must be some sort of NY thing?
chancery, can you help me out here?
Image X 4
Image X 32
andersweinstein

p0rtia wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:01 pm
andersweinstein wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:49 pm That pdf itself just contained a sequence of page images in one document, so didn't support text search or selection to copy/paste an excerpt as text. But you could quickly scroll through large chunks to get to a bit you wanted to see.
In fact, the pdf I read (sorry I closed the ta bwhen I finished reading) was searchable. I used the search function several time, notably to find all instances of "Objection."
Yeah, my mistake, was going to delete that post. I am still finding it hard to simply copy chunks of text without selection going all over the place. But just searched for "frugal" in my downloaded copy and it worked. The bit I wanted to copy from opening statement:
Now, you will see evidence at t r i a l that Donald Trump was a very frugal businessman. He believed in pinching pennies. He believed in watching every dollar. He believed in negotiating every bill.
It's all over all of the books he has written.
He ran the Trump Organization with total control. You will hear testimony about his relentless focus on the bottom line.
But when it came time to pay Michael Cohen back for the catch-and-kill deal, you will see that he didn't negotiate the price down; he doubled it.
And he doubled i t so they could disguise i t as income.
And you will hear evidence that the Trump Organization was not in the practice of paying people twice what they owed for anything.
This might be the only time that ever happened.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

The pdf I just downloaded from Law360 supports text search. It also sort of supports selection/copy for pasting to a text document although it's awkward because the selection also picks up line numbers and other apparatus, which a properly formatted transcript ..., hmm, let's try something.

Aha! the awkwardness exists only if you are reading and working with the transcript online with your browser. If you download the pdf and open it up with a pdf reader (I use the Mac application Preview), selection on a single page picks up only the transcript and ignores line numbers. If you extend the selection over to the next page, however, it picks up the header and then starts including the line numbers.

I assume that the line numbers are a separate pdf object that would probably show up as a separate layer if the pdf is opened with Adobe Illustrator.

LAYERS!!!
LAYERS!!!
LAYERS!!!
LAYERS!!!
realist

Post by realist »

realist wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:06 pm
chancery wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:46 pm The complete transcript in a single pdf is available on the Law360 digital docket for the NYC Trump prosecution:

Curious as to why the first page of the first day is page 817. Must be some sort of NY thing?
chancery, can you help me out here?
In the document from the above link, over on the right-hand side there is a ink for the original pdf and it's fine and searchable.

2024-04-22 P.v Trump Transcript 042244
Original Document (PDF) »

Contributed by Frank Runyeon (Law360)

OCR: Tesseract
Image X 4
Image X 32
realist

Post by realist »

Never mind my query on the first page number being 817, I forgot about the voir dire for the 3.5 days is part of the trial transcript. :brickwallsmall:
Image X 4
Image X 32
bob

Post by bob »

p0rtia wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:42 pm - A little light on his role as explainer of law, but thorough on What is Evidence?
Judge often explain what the law is at the end, right before deliberations. I presume the concept is the jurors should be focused now on the facts (and deciding what they are), so they can later focus on applying the law to those facts.
Interesting. In "routine" cases (in some other states, at least), this often is not the case. Transcribed sidebars will help defendants with competent counsel, and hinder those with less so.
Image ImageImage
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

as The Guardian reports it:
Trump’s hush-money trial: National Enquirer publisher says he was ‘eyes and ears’ of 2016 campaign
David Pecker testifies about meeting with Trump and Michael Cohen in 2015 to discuss how he could help presidential campaign

Victoria Bekiempis in New York
Wed 24 Apr 2024 00.54 CEST

A former tabloid publisher testified on Tuesday in Donald Trump’s hush-money trial that he promised to be the “eyes and ears” of the 2016 presidential campaign, helped to suppress harmful stories and even arranged to purchase the silence of a doorman.

the remainder at https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... l-new-york
and before that
Skeptical judge and tabloid deal: key takeaways from Trump trial day six
Judge admonishes ex-president’s lawyer, and first witness confirms Trump enlisted National Enquirer for 2016 campaign

Hugo Lowell in New York
Tue 23 Apr 2024 20.53 CEST

Donald Trump watched the judge presiding in his New York criminal trial dramatically admonish his lead lawyer and hear the prosecution’s first witness confirm that Trump specifically enlisted the help of the National Enquirer tabloid to kill negative stories that could derail his 2016 campaign.

Here are the key takeaways from Tuesday’s proceedings in People of the State of New York vs Donald J Trump.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... al-day-two
andersweinstein

Next day's transcript (4-23) is up in the lame click-next-to-see-page-at-a-time-in-browser viewing format.
https://pdfs.nycourts.gov/PeopleVs.DTrump-71543/Transcripts/4-23-2024/

Wonder if Law360 will manage to post a single pdf?

I think it's eminently feasible for a programmer to whip up a script to download all the pages and concatenate them into a single pdf (perhaps use a different tool for second part). Saw one reply to the complaint tweet saying he did it for the first day's transcript (don't be fooled by date in filename, it's the 4/22 transcript). Maybe some folks will contribute that service for subsequent ones.

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

bob wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:37 pm
p0rtia wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:42 pm - A little light on his role as explainer of law, but thorough on What is Evidence?
Judge often explain what the law is at the end, right before deliberations. I presume the concept is the jurors should be focused now on the facts (and deciding what they are), so they can later focus on applying the law to those facts.
Interesting. In "routine" cases (in some other states, at least), this often is not the case. Transcribed sidebars will help defendants with competent counsel, and hinder those with less so.
This is incomprehensible to me. How does appellate counsel challenge something on appeal if the arguments of counsel and the comments of the judge are not memorialized?

Weird.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Trump is so screwed.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:06 pm
This is incomprehensible to me. How does appellate counsel challenge something on appeal if the arguments of counsel and the comments of the judge are not memorialized?

Weird.
Briefly touched on this with a couple of Judges and attorneys during lunch and they said it's because sidebars are considered off the record conversations and anything legal that was decided would be said when they went back on the record.

I'm counting on chancery to check in with his take on the reasoning though.
realist

Post by realist »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:06 pm

Weird.
When I was reporting in the state courts here all sidebars were taken down by me and were a part of any appeal transcript, inserted when they occurred. Now, they are recorded and it is optional on the part of the parties whether they are made a part of the transcript, and if they are, they are all done in a separate part of the appeal transcript, not inserted when they happened. No idea why the change. And I agree, I would definitely want them as part of the appeal record.
Image X 4
Image X 32
bob

Post by bob »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:06 pm This is incomprehensible to me. How does appellate counsel challenge something on appeal if the arguments of counsel and the comments of the judge are not memorialized?
If there's a chance to correct/augment the record, appellate counsel may be able to marshal a better "recollection" of what occurred at sidebar than what actually occurred at sidebar. Even if there's isn't correction/augmentation, appellate counsel could pitch an inference of what was said (even if it actually wasn't).

Whereas if the transcribed sidebar shows trial counsel whiffing, appellate counsel can only make so much lemonade (on appeal; the whiffing may be fodder for IAC).

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:47 pmBriefly touched on this with a couple of Judges and attorneys during lunch and they said it's because sidebars are considered off the record conversations and anything legal that was decided would be said when they went back on the record.
That is often said. It doesn't happen always in practice, however.
Image ImageImage
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Ahhhhh....

Just finished reading the Gag Order hearing. It lived up to all expectation. Not only did Blanche make a lot of weak arguments, he made what I think of as the fatal mistake of not actually answering the Judge's questions.

"Where's the post your client is responding to?" was a lovely refrain.

To which, no answer except verbiage such as "this has been in the news for months,"

Hope to have time to read or at least skim Pecker day 2 before we get to Pecker day 3 (and for once, I'm looking forward to the defense's cross!).

:popcorn:

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”