Bill_G, retired, affluence of effluent, and errata

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

BeastofBourbon wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:18 pm You make your own pierogis, Bill? DH and I just watched an episode of How It's Made about pierogis. Without the automation, it looks like a multi-person endeavor to do at home. Thank goodness for Mrs. T's.
They aren't that difficult. Mrs T's are good. Safeway has them all the time, and make it easy to put a dinner together quickly. And cuz they're frozen, you don't have to use the whole box. Make a small batch, and keep the rest for another day. I'm sure their taters are instant, not fresh. I had no shame serving them. :)

If you've had success making pasta at home, you're halfway to making perogis. The dough has to be strong enough to handle poking and stretching and boiling and frying, and still be tender enough to eat. Make your dough, and while it's resting, prep your taters. They have to be boiled, mashed, mixed with whatever else you're going to include (cheese, onion, cabbage, etc), and cooled off enough to work with your hands.

When the taters are ready, make one inch balls out of your dough, laying them on a sheet pan. You can pat them between you hands, or you can roll them out on the counter, or use a pasta press, or use a tortilla press. Put a dab of taters slightly off center, and then fold the dough closed working the taters to spread them out without squeezing past the seam. Pinch the seam closed, and move the dumpling to another sheet pan. Once you get the rhythm, you'll have them banged out quickly. Now you can freeze them, or start boiling them.

I put a dozen or so in a pot of rolling boiling salted water with a few drops of olive oil on top. Once the water starts to return to a boil, I turn the heat down, and put a lid on the pot. You want a low boil. You want the heat without the physical aggitation. This is where you'll find out if you got enough air out of the pockets, and thoroughly pinched the edges. It only takes a couple minutes. When they float fat side up, they're ready for the frying pan (which you've already heated up, butter melted, oil heated, etc. You were thinking ahead, and got this done).

Now you saute them enough to get some color. Everything is already cooked. It just needs a browning. Some people like them crusty. I like them tan. I have some chopped veggies (red onions, green peppers, shaved carrots), herbs and garlic ready. Once the perogis are in the pan, I add the veggies and garlic. The herbs (oregano, parsley, basil) go in last a minute before I take the pan off the fire. When the perogis and veggies are cooked as done as you want them, serve them up.

I eat them as they are, but if I'm getting fancy, I'll add some apple sauce, or sour cream, or plain yogurt, or a chopped sausage, or chicken, or carrots, cabbage, broccolli, whatever. The dumplings can be a main event, or part of an ensemble. Totally up to you.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I survived last night.

I did not try to keep up. It was a total Bacchus event minus the wine and orgy. Beer, weed, whiskey, weed, tequila, and weed. And weed. And French Dip with a jalapeno kick on some good Kaiser rolls. They kept it mild thank you very much. I added water to his au jus. It had a pepper sneak attack that crept up on you. It could kill off your gut flora and all your Tupperware in one dose. Forewarned is forearmed.

It's just a well they had it at their house. Bunches of their friends came over. Everybody brought something including their kids. The kids ruled the backyard. The Wommennen took over the back porch. The Mennenen took over the garage. Dinner was under control in the kitchen patiently waiting in crock pots for everyone to arrive.

The women were smoking dab - a super concentrated goo in a glass bowl heated with a torch. You huffed in a little bit of the smoke. The teeny tiniest of hits. BAMMO! I stayed away from that. The guys were breaking out their collections of bud in glass vials like they were showing off gold flakes panned from a stream. And like wine tastings, they claimed to detect notes of wood, chocolate, etc. I took tiny hits of that. I put my pre-rolls out, but we never got that far.

One grand daughter works at a weed shoppe up in WA. She gets a ton of free samples, and was handing out gifts to everyone. I'm stocked for the next couple months now. I got some Frosty Gorilla, Yuck Mouth, Cannaroo, Apple Mac Gelato, and some Sour Alien. All of them are >30% THC which means one hit will do.

I got there early so I could hand out teeshirts and loot before the crowds arrived. I also brought a thermos of coffee, some cran juice, beer, tums, tylenol, inhaler, blood pressure machine, pulse oximeter, and nebulizer. Just in case. My cig smoking got out of control, but I stayed at one beer, and a couple hits off the pipe. Water and coffee got me through the evening.

I became designated grampa corraling children for dinner, and diaper disposal guy when that time came. Got to meet new husbands from weddings we missed during covid. Caught up with a nephew and his fiance / future husband. Spent some time with DIL and her mother that lives with them now. One of her grown boys from her first marriage dropped in. I haven't seen him since before covid either.

And of course I got to meet their friends whom I've never met. One of them came in a camo hat, camo teeshirt, jeans, and desert storm boots - totally normal for Yamhill County. It turns out he has a drag queen act at Darcelles, works construction, married, two kids, and they're buying a house. See aforementioned diaper disposal duty. Welcome to Oregon!

Left at 8pm as parents with kids in tow were heading out. Made the goodbye rounds, and took it easy driving. I had plenty of coffee in me, and traffic was very light. No problems.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Sounds like a great time!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Sounds great! We used to have get-togethers like that when I was a kid--minus the weed. :biggrin:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I am really starting to get used to being retired. Considering making it a full time thing. Still pondering it. It will be two years in July since I "retired" but kept a part time status to support my legacy customers. And they've definitely needed support. The company still hasn't assigned new people to my accounts though. Okay. At some point the company will have to decide whether they want to keep what I built, or let my clients find another contractor. I don't know. Frustrating.

My sister, BIL, and college aged nephew will fly over from Boise at the end of April to drive Mrs's car back home. I don't have a use for it. I promised it to him In December. Took it to the Toyota dealer for annual service, new tires, brakes, etc. It's sat in the driveway since then collecting leaves, dirt, moss, and mold. Anything around here that doesn't move becomes fair game for Life. It's far enough along I need a professional car detailer to clean it up. A simple car wash is not going to fix it.

My standing rib roast Easter Dinner a couple weekends ago went well. It was a lot more sedate than the Bacchus affair my kids hosted. One of my retired golf pro neighbors headed to her kids for Easter leaving the other to join me. It has been years since she and I have sat in the backyard with adult beverages pondering the universe. We didn't have much chance for that. One of our new neighbors can talk the stripes off a skunk.

One neighbor's husband was visiting his family in Vietnam. So I invited her. She's vegetarian, but said she'd eat eggs and limited dairy. I made spanakopita, baked potatoes, peas, and a Ceasar salad with her in mind. There's a bit of a language barrier. She wasn't very chatty, but she seemed to enjoy herself. She brought me a freshly potted African Violet as a thank you gift a few days later. Mrs loved these. I will try to keep it alive.

The chatty neighbor moved in recently just before last Christmas. He married the school teacher's daughter while she attended UT Austin the last few years. She's seven months along (or so), and they came home to Oregon for Mom's help. He's a real Texan with family on both sides of the Rio Grande. And he's a history major still working towards his degree. He is a Force of Nature with knowledge on a broad range of topics. He and I were the last two people on my back porch until way after dark. He was quite entertaining when you get a couple hits of Gorilla Haze and some port in him.

I will be sure to introduce him to the house full of uni students renting another neighbor's house. They are all electrical engineering students from Africa attending OIT (Oregon Institute of Technology). I don't know if they will be a good fit, but they will be closer in age. I met those guys during the last bit of Winter in January when snow and ice actually accumulated for a couple days.

I was checking a shut-in senior I know on that street to see if he needed anything. The eng students were across the street making a valiant effort to clear their walk and drive with brooms and spade point shovels while wearing Nikes, shorts, and tee shirts. It was kind of like watching the Keystone Cops. They were slipping all over the place. I winced at their every step. I introduced myself, and then showed them the elastic crampons fitted to my boots. I made a quick return trip home to fetch some salt, a couple pairs of crampons, and some blunt shovels for the ice. We spent some time working together, and across the street at my shut-in senior's house.

I should host another dinner party with all these guys over. I'll find out who is staying for the summer, and who's leaving. Have a BBQ before they go. Baby should be here soon. We can celebrate the newest neighbor.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Keeping busy. :thumbsup: :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

PS - Though I have made no progress in the third bedroom, I have finished the pantry and kitchen cupboards. Mrs had so many high hopes to return to baking. Her cake period was a big hit at the shop. OMG. I think we all put on a few pounds that year. She moved on, but apparently longed for those days again because I found cartons ... yes, I said cartons ... of Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker cake mixes, brownie mixes, chocolate chip cookie and peanut butter cookie mixes. Some of them were BONUS SIZE! All with expiration dates in 2021!!

Well, that's not toooo long ago.

Plus! I found a tub of Glad-Ware plastic storage containers big enough to hold a dozen cookies easily. You can see where I'm going, don't you? With the oven at 375F, a dozen eggs, a carton of Darigolds finest two percent, lots of butter at room temp, and a stainless bowl and spoon in hand, I made cookies this week. It's been beautiful weather - a good time to open the wondows treating the neighbors to the sweet aroma of fat and sugar cooking.

And then giving them all away.

Great time to catch up with people.

Amanda has a new beau, and another bun in the oven. We joked what she would name it. Her other three kid's names all begin with L, but she's confident she can find one more. No point breaking tradition now.

Robert is recovering from another surgery. He's been in and out of the Veteran's Hospital for his TBI from Iraq. Doctor talk, drain, cranial, and pain are a big part of his Life. Chocolate chip are his favorite especially since I used milk instead of water. That makes them softer.

Jose wants to find a new dialysis center. The one he goes to is always busy, and he doesn't drive anymore. That limits his choices. He can't eat sweets anymore, but his grandkids can. His oldest daughter moved in with him to help. They're getting by.

Ken had another knee surgery. His almost totally bionic now. Both knees, hip, and one shoulder have been replaced. He knelt down a few weeks ago to pet the kitty, and couldn't get back up. Something blew out in his right knee, and it had to be replaced again. That's #3 in that leg. His Mrs is doing okay, and like Jose, their oldest daughter lives with them to help out. They are fond of the raisin spice cake. It's pretty yummy they said.

Carmen lives across from Amada, and is having trouble keeping up with the yard this year. Her son comes by occasionally, but it's not enough. She freezes the cookies for guests and grandkids when they visit.

The guys working on Carol's house thought I was a busybody at first, but no one turns down free fresh cookies. Nobody. The floors and kitchen look good. I hope it sells soon. Her sister has been doing a good job getting contractors in there to fix it up inside and out.

Moar eggs, milk, and butter are on this week's shopping list. I did make a good dent in one carton.
BeastofBourbon

Post by BeastofBourbon »

Glad to hear you're making use of your late wife's good intentions to connect with the neighbors. It's nice that you have a neighboring houseful of engineering students to chat with. But, it's sunny and warmer now, and we haven't heard anything about the garden, aside from late winter tilling. If you're in need of seeds, I'd be happy to send you a selection from my Grange's seed program.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:15 pm Keeping busy. :thumbsup: :bighug:
Y'all have been great letting me use this place as a sounding board. Thank you.

I'm trying to stay busy. Idle hands, devil's work, etc. Mostly it's my supply of give-a-damn is really low. I have to find something to pump it back up. Several people here have gone, or are going through, the same stuff I am. I've watched friends and neighbors go through this too. We each have our own way of coping.

When Mrs took an early retirement, she sat in a chair for the next year watching Netflix. Anything and everything else she just phoned in. A year later when she was ready to get out of the chair, she couldn't, and it was one thing after another after that.

I don't want to go out like that. So, I'm putting in the work, and hoping there are dividends.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

BeastofBourbon wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:31 am Glad to hear you're making use of your late wife's good intentions to connect with the neighbors. It's nice that you have a neighboring houseful of engineering students to chat with. But, it's sunny and warmer now, and we haven't heard anything about the garden, aside from late winter tilling. If you're in need of seeds, I'd be happy to send you a selection from my Grange's seed program.
Oh, Le Jardin. The dirt is still pretty wet, and the nights are still too cold. But it's getting planting time soon. I've turned it over twice. Incorporated the alfalfa and blood meal giving it time to convert and become useful. A big mole has discovered the side bed along the house where I put the toms because it gets the best/longest direct sunlight. Another mole has refound the veggie garden. I want to hammer mole fences in soon before the ground gets too dry, and not really looking forward to that task.

When, and if, we get together with Whatever4 this week, we can talk about seed.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

My, you certainly have an exciting life! :biggrin: :thumbsup:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

He’s fighting the MOLE PEOPLE!!!!!! :panic:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Foggy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:45 am My, you certainly have an exciting life! :biggrin: :thumbsup:
I know. It's totally awesome!

But, that's why I baked cookies. They help people open up and tell me how they are really doing. Then my problems don't sound so big to me anymore. In fact, my biggest problem, the one I'm currently trying to resolve - is where to find a good car detailer to clean up the Toyota for my nephew. It's perfectly awful looking right now.

You've got a father to worry about. Other people have babies on the way. The World never stops.
BeastofBourbon

Post by BeastofBourbon »

I've never heard of mole fence before. What does it look like? After battling the gophers and moles for my tomatoes last year, I decided exposing their tunnels was effective but too much work, so this year I'm trying castor oil mixed with dish soap and water in a spray bottle. The smell is a powerful repellant for them. There's a granular formula that you sprinkle on the ground and it seeps down into their tunnels. Very effective, but too expensive for me when there's a cheaper alternative.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

A mole fence is a series of fence boards driven deeply (18in or so) into the ground to isolate a bed. The boards will fail after a few years and need to be refreshed. You'll know when that happens by the fresh dirt heaves in the tomatoes. It's best to do this in Spring before planting while the dirt is still saturated.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

What I miss about my job that was almost like your job was the road trips. Driving to the remote mountain sites was almost like a company-paid vacation.
Largo al factotum.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

zekeb wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:02 pm What I miss about my job that was almost like your job was the road trips. Driving to the remote mountain sites was almost like a company-paid vacation.
Amen to that. We were paid to go four wheeling!
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

We had Goldilocks weather over the weekend. So I tackled Mrs' car myself. I started on Saturday, and finished yesterday. It was a lot easier than I thought. Some elbow grease, a couple Mr Clean Erasers, and a toothbrush got it done. It's bright and sparkely now. Ready for my nephew.

I'm heading to the Toyota dealer today to find out if the extended service agreement can be transferred to him. We bought a 2013 over the Turkey Day weekend of 2012. She put 19,000 miles on it. We paid for a 75,000 mile warranty. I couldn't find a time limit in the contract, but I could have missed something. I'm imagining them saying No because of the age, but I might be pleasantly surprised.

We shall see.

Gotta put together a list of restaurants for W4's visit this weekend. Beast of Bourbon may be there too. Google has pin drops all over downtown. Most of them I've never heard of. Jakes is still around (seafood). So is Hubers (American traditional menu). There are at least a half dozen McMenamins in the area. I should visit to see how bad the homeless jungle is before making any decisions.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Found 'em!

Those scissors that have been lost forever? They were under the washing machine. Actually the vacuum found them as it was sucking up dust bunnies. Recognized them right away. Mrs always thought I lost them, and I always thought she lost them. Who knows which one of us kicked them under the washing machine, but they've been there all along. They are finally reunited with their sister pair that have faithfully stayed waiting on the kitchen hook where they are supposed to be. Sounds like a country song (to-ge-ther a-gain, my teardrops are faaaal-lin ...)

I was cleaning out the dust bunnies after I pulled all the wet clothes out and drained the tub. It was too heavy to move with all that water in it. It's much easier to push around now. And yep, that motor is shot. Good thing Home Depot has a sale going on.

Mrs super power was keeping every receipt. Mine is organizing them in a file drawer. (See my last few months of going through her boxes of stuff) The sales order says we got the washer and dryer set back in January of 2004. So, these things are not quite drinkin age, but they're old enough to have kids and go to war. That's not a bad run. I can once again reinvigorate the durable goods sector of our economy a thousand bucks at a time. Just doin my part.

(rewind to earlier in the day ...)

I got a load of darks started, and thought to myself "that sounds funny" as the agitator got going. A half second later my nose said "uh-oh", and when I turned a cloud was forming over the washer. I fiddled with the circuit breakers for a half minute, then just got brave, and pulled the cord from the wall. It was a bit toasty in the hand. It took another minute to come up with a plan.

Being in a plastic tub rich environment, I knew exactly where to find something big enough to hold a load of wet soapy clothes, and not leak all over the place. Then I unreeled a garden hose, primed it with water from the garden faucet, locked one end down with hand sprayer, pinched the other end to keep the hose filled, dragged it into the mud room, dropped it into the washer tub, and then opened up the sprinkler out in the yard. It immediately siphoned just like I wanted. I spent that time disconnecting the hoses, and taping them up.

Once I determined the washer was a lost cause for today, I walked over to a neighbor that has offered to help in any way he could since Mrs died. He works Wed-Sun, and his truck was home. And as it turns out he just got the same GE w/d pair I was looking at. I got to test drive the washer. How about that. He's had them for a month. No complaints. I think I'll give them a try. The dryer still works, but it is the same age as the washer. We bought them as a set. Might as well get both, have them delivered, and the old ones hauled away.

Then I don't have to mess with that myself.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I feel for you as I had to replace washer and dryer in the last few years. Last week, the dishwasher crapped out, quietly flooding under the kitchen floor. I was able to get the dishwasher repaired. Unfortunately, the floor is a total loss, even if it took a day to prove it. Now, I just need a new kitchen floor. :cantlook:

I had just decided to give the new floors in the house a six-month wait, as I've just had all new siding, windows, and decks. I'm tired of picking out the products and having contractors in and out all the time, whether inside or outside. So much for my break. And I wasn't planning on replacing the kitchen floor.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Oh, warped floors are the best. Oh yeah. It's one way to keep people out of your kitchen.

So, I've loaded the dishwasher, and I'm going to run it. Wish me luck.

Then it's off to Home Depot to buy a new washer dryer set, and have them delivered next week. My dance card is all full up for this week.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Today's Calendar -

Pay bills
Move washer and dryer out
Clean mudroom
Dethatch the face
Meetup w Fogbowers downtown 5pm
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

You're going to dethatch just for a few Fogbowers???
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Indeed I am. I'll do my best to not look like a bear attacked. Plus I'm sporting my formal flannel**. Nothing but the best. Puttin the good foot forward ...

** Formal flannel may have been warshed as recently as last month, and always hung back up with other shirts, not wadded up in the laundry hamper before reuse.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

The second batch of famdamly is arriving this morning at PDX. I haven't seen my sister and BIL in several years. They are driving Mrs' car back to Boise for their boy child #1 to drive at college. It's a total chick magnet maroon 2013 Toyota Corolla with only 19000 miles. I had the dealer put new tires and brakes on it, and a give it a basic tune up. I cleared all her stuff out. Gave it a thorough bath. Scrubbed all the moss off it. It's ready to rock. It's leaving my driveway, and landing in theirs.

So, I invited all our local famdamly over for dinner tonight. I am making Gramma's chicken casserole and Ceasar salad. I have three people on the picky eater spectrum, and this is a menu that is safe for all three as long as I put the red onions for the salad on the side, use the smallest piece of garlic I can find for the dressing, and chop the trinity for the casserole very fine. The closer to molecular level I get the better. Sister will be on hand to ensure I do it correctly.

She has offered to help dig into the bedrooms storage rooms, make the dispassionate executive decisions necessary when sorting stuff out, and get some of it outta here. That will actually be very welcome. And we'll spend some time discussing my will, the lists, the banks, etc so my survivors have an easier time / lower impact.

And! While I have some help around, perhaps we can tackle rearranging the living room. As teeny tiny as Mrs got, she still enjoyed recreational house decorating. I'd leave for work, or some shopping, return, and find the place moved around. In early 2023 when she came home in a wheelchair, I gave everything a shove to make a path wide enough, and it's been that way since. It's time to spread it out, but make it so if it needs to be ADA friendly in the future, it will be.

Time to clean up.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”