The Media are the Goddam Problem

Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Secondly, do we think that people who present as believing in Flat Earth, or reptilian royals, or nanobots in vaccines, actually genuinely believe that, or rather they amuse themselves and their audience by imagining an alternative universe in which those things are true? Some of the images of the flat Earth and what lies behind Antarctica are very intricately designed, not something we'd expect from the stupid.
Exactly what I believe. I don’t argue, or even acknowledge their arguments most of the time. I can never get that wasted time back. Just by arguing, they win and go away laughing because they know they’ve wasted someone’s time.
I believe it’s like the wrestling “kayfabe”. It’s entertaining on one level to alter reality. However, on another level a certain percentage of people will actually come to believe the alternative.
On one level pro wrestling is interesting, because they are really good athletes, and have very good gymnastics. Similar to the imaginative renderings of “flat-earthers”
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I would like someone to do a recap of alllll the talking heads last summer who excoriated Bragg because "he shouldn't have been the first to indict". Because the case was the least of them. Because it wasn't as done a deal as Florida or Georgia or DC.

Once in a blue moon someone would point out that it wasn't like the timing of the indictments was being coordinated, but the mechanics of that were generally lost in the froth of complaints.

I'd like to compare what those talking heads were saying last summer with what they're saying now.

As a non-lawyer, I know waaay too much about the status of each of the cases. So much that it's mostly no fun listening to the talking heads anymore. They repeat shit (. They keep it as superficial as possible. They fear-monger. And above all, the second and third tier frequently get the damn facts wrong.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Can you believe this shite?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Sorry, I have eyestrain from rolling my eyes.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

Definitely Danny @SemperWry wrote: Fun Fact: When @Netflix was approached about running the film, they declined, saying that they wanted to remain "neutral" this election year.

Appeasing insurrectionists isn't neutral. Not wanting to anger the Trump cult isn't impartial; it's cowardice and greed.
Definitely Danny @SemperWry wrote: Trailer for January 6th documentary from Oscar-winning directors Sean and Andrea Fine, titled "The Sixth." Distributed by A24 on Amazon Prime in May.

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Decoding Fox News @DecodingFoxNews wrote: Charlie Hurt continues to promote the lie that Trump won the 2020 election.

"If they had just let Trump win."

Fox News has paid out $787.5 million in a defamation settlement to Dominion Voting Systems for promoting this lie. Smartmatic is also suing the network.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Nicolle Wallace knocked it out of the park in her first hour again.

Dealing with the truth that fuckhead is above the law. Right now. Discussing the attack on any and all of societies institutions, joined by powerful allies. Why does the justice system fail to deal with him as they would with anyone else? Great discussion.

This woman keeps me sane. :heart:
raison de arizona

:fuckyou:
CNN analyst warns of ‘civil unrest across the country’ if Trump jailed for gag order violation

CNN analyst Mark Preston said he thinks if former President Trump is jailed for violating the gag order in his hush money trial, there would be “civil unrest across the country” and it would help him in the polls.

Preston joined CNN’s Jim Acosta and others to discuss the possibility of Judge Juan Merchan putting the former president in a holding cell “for a few hours” after he has deliberately defied the gag order in the case, which was expanded to bar Trump from publicly attacking witnesses, prosecutors, court staff, jurors and the judge’s family.

“If that were to happen, first of all, I think you would probably see civil unrest across the country, certainly in some cities. That’s one,” he said, highlighted by Mediaite. “And two, politically, if I’m the Biden campaign, I don’t want to necessarily see him in jail, because that’s just going to get people more inflamed and more fired up.”
:snippity:
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4604 ... violation/

Pointless pontificating. They aren't going to put him in jail. He's a celebrity. They let you get away with it when you're a celebrity.

My predication? A modest fine and a strong admonition, "DON'T DO IT AGAIN, OR I'LL HAVE TO ASK YOU TO NOT DO IT AGAIN."
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Excellent, very long article in Politico.

The Petty Feud Between the NYT and the White House

I'm not going to try to pick out just a few paragraphs. I highly recommend reading the whole thing.
raison de arizona

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:57 pm Excellent, very long article in Politico.

I'm not going to try to pick out just a few paragraphs. I highly recommend reading the whole thing.
Sigh. NYT reaped what they sowed. If they don't want to play by the rules and decide to put official names to information given on background, then they don't get to play the information given on background game anymore.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

but her emails
raison de arizona

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:57 pm Excellent, very long article in Politico.

It's really worth reading. Every time I look at it I hate NYT a little bit more.
scary lawyerguy @scarylawyerguy wrote: Here's what a "free and independent press" looks like (star NYT reporter hamming it up with Trump in the Oval Office)
NYTimes Communications @NYTimesPR wrote: A free and independent press fills a vital role in a democracy. See our statement on @nytimes and our coverage of the president. https://nytco.com/press/a-statement-fro ... -coverage/
raison de arizona

Not everything is anti-semitic.
Waleed Shahid 🪬 @_waleedshahid wrote: "Iran has their military proxies like Hezbollah, and Iran has their campus proxies like these groups, like Students for Justice in Palestine, Jewish Voice for Peace." -Jonathan Greenblatt, Anti-Defamation League
Here are some of the Iranian operatives that were arrested:
Jody Rosen @jodyrosen wrote: The Anti-Defamation League wants you to believe that these elderly Jews—arrested in Brooklyn Tuesday night at the Jewish Voice for Peace "Emergency Seder in the Streets"—are Iranian operatives
raison de arizona

Hey, she fixed it!
Assal Rad @AssalRad wrote: The fact that they’re protesting against genocide seems like an important point
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

So last night I saw where CNN is reporting that the majority of Americans believe that even if Trump is convicted in his criminal cases he is still fit for office.

This is what happens when the media puts microphones in front of him to spew his nonsense before court, during breaks, and after court every single day. Just like in 2016 constantly giving airtime to every bit of nonsense this creep spews just has the effect of numbing everyone to the realities of this clown. When fully half our more thinks a man with 91 criminal indictments still qualifies as a legitimate candidate for President you know your country is headed for third world status.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RVInit wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:41 am So last night I saw where CNN is reporting that the majority of Americans believe that even if Trump is convicted in his criminal cases he is still fit for office.

This is what happens when the media puts microphones in front of him to spew his nonsense before court, during breaks, and after court every single day. Just like in 2016 constantly giving airtime to every bit of nonsense this creep spews just has the effect of numbing everyone to the realities of this clown. When fully half our more thinks a man with 91 criminal indictments still qualifies as a legitimate candidate for President you know your country is headed for third world status.
Sort of.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/25/politics ... index.html
raison de arizona

Read Let This Radicalize You @JoshuaPHilll wrote: The New York Times is choosing to remove the fact that many of these student protesters are Jewish.
Editing TheGrayLady @nyt_diff wrote: Change in Abstract

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”