Birding

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Birding

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Shout out to Fogbow’s very own Great Grey!!!!!

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/to-c ... ic-mirage/#

To Catch Voles Under The Snow, Great Gray Owls Must Overcome An Acoustic Mirage

New research into the weird ways snow distorts sound offers new hints about the extraordinary hunting strategies of a winter phantom—the Great Gray Owl.

From the Winter 2024 issue of Living Bird magazine. Subscribe now.

Perhaps no species of owl is as superbly adapted for hunting in snow as the Great Gray.

Found throughout the boreal forests of the Northern Hemisphere, Great Gray Owls dine primarily on small mouselike rodents called voles. In winter, voles retreat to tunnels deep under the snow—but that doesn’t stop Great Grays. Hunting from an exposed perch, an owl listens intently for its target, then swoops down from above, punching through the crust of snow with its long, powerful legs. Able to reach prey almost 18 inches below the surface of the snow, Great Gray Owls have been known to penetrate snow crusts thick enough to support a 175-pound person.

What hasn’t been clear, despite decades of research about Great Gray Owls, is how they do it—how do Great Grays hunt prey animals no longer than a ballpoint pen, which they can’t see, using only faint burrowing sounds more than a foot under the snow to guide them in plunging strikes with surgical precision?

Some intriguing new hints arrived recently via quirky research conducted by an unlikely pair of scientists. One, a California biologist who had spent most of his career studying the sounds made by hummingbird feathers, had long dreamed of working with owls; the other, a Canadian expert on owl field biology, had always wanted to study sound.

Close up of an owls face with round shape.
The Great Gray Owl’s facial disc collects and directs even the softest sounds toward its ears, helping the owl to pinpoint a sound’s precise location. Photo by Frank Sorger / Macaulay Library.
A little furry animal in the snow.
In winter, meadow voles move around in tunnels under the snow. Photo by Jim Duncan.
In their study, the researchers explored how Great Gray Owls use a set of finely tuned adaptations for gathering sound and localizing its source in deep snow. The Great Gray Owl’s facial disc, a bowl-shaped circle of feathers that frames its face, is the largest of any owl species, collecting and directing even the softest sounds from the environment toward its ears. And like other owls that hunt by sound, its ears, hidden under feathers, are asymmetrical. A higher ear opening on one side than the other enhances its ability to pinpoint a sound’s precise location.

To test the hunting-by-hearing capabilities of Great Grays, the researchers used an array of microphones buried under the snow to carry out a complex and unique set of experiments in the cold of Manitoba. Their research, published in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B in November 2022, uncovered new hints about the weird ways snow muffles and distorts sound—and the Great Gray Owl’s incredible ability to hear a vole hidden in the snow, which it turns out depends largely on the owl’s unique feathers.

Illustration of the details of an owl's feathers.
Feathers for Silent Flight. The combs and fringes on the edges of a Great Gray Owl’s wing feathers break up the air currents during flight, reducing the noisy turbulence that would otherwise be created by the flapping of wings. Graphic by Jillian Ditner.

[Lots more article and pics at the link!]
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Chilidog

Birding

Post by Chilidog »

someone had a good day yesterday

its good to see him doing this again

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/rhxFpw ... tid=WC7FNe
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Birding

Post by northland10 »

Chilidog wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:23 pm someone had a good day yesterday

its good to see him doing this again

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/rhxFpw ... tid=WC7FNe
:clap:
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Birding

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/cams/most ... bird-cams/
Most Watched Nest Cam Highlights From Bird Cams!

Since the project’s inception in 2012, the Cornell Lab’s Bird Cams have racked up hundreds of millions of views from fans in every corner of the world! Now that breeding season is upon us once again, we’re looking back at the most-watched moments from our nest cams, both past and present, in this video gallery. See if some of your favorite highlights made the list.

If you enjoy these moments from the cams, subscribe to the Bird Cams YouTube Channel.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Birding

Post by AndyinPA »

We have several eagles' nests in the area that I watch. This has not been a big year for babies. One pair didn't lay any eggs. One pair does have two thriving babies. The third, and my most-watched pair, laid one egg, but it cracked after a few weeks. It's surmised that it was never viable.

That's an interesting pair. The mom has been around for maybe ten years after the original mom disappeared. This mom then became the new mate to the original male, who has been around for about twenty years. Last year, he disappeared, and after a few months, the mom took a new mate. It's with the new mate that she had the single non-viable egg. Over the last few weeks, they think the older male may have returned (he had one very distinctive wing), and there's another male who has been around. It's an eagle soap opera around here.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10

Birding

Post by northland10 »

Spring has spring, the birds are here. Listen to them fighting.

There's some drama out back today and not just the sparrows. Goldfinches are having a snit.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Birding

https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/backyardwrens/
Carolina Wrens, House Wrens, and Bewick’s Wrens

A round bird with a down-curved bill, white throat and contrasting cinnamon belly
IMG_6363.jpeg
IMG_6363.jpeg (445.52 KiB) Viewed 479 times
Carolina Wren
Image: Jeff Hapeman | Macaulay Library

A round bird with a down-curved bill and thinly barred wings.
House Wren
Image: Braxton Landsman | Macaulay Library
IMG_6364.jpeg
IMG_6364.jpeg (163.98 KiB) Viewed 479 times

A round bird with a down curved bill, white eyebrow and a long tail
IMG_6365.jpeg
IMG_6365.jpeg (480.79 KiB) Viewed 479 times
Bewick’s Wren
Image: Michael Stubblefield | Macaulay Library

Wrens are charismatic, cavity-nesting birds that delight us with song when they appear at backyard feeders or make use of nest boxes. But they can make for very tricky IDs! These three common wrens are similarly brown and nondescript. Even so, there are a few helpful keys to make an ID. Check out our quick review below.

Wren Species Range Visual Clues
Carolina Wren Central and eastern North America Rufous-brown above with dark barring in the wings, pale cinnamon below
White eyebrow stripe and white throat

House Wren Most of North and South America Brown above with thin, dark barring in the wings and a pale throat. Drab gray-brown below.
No eyebrow stripe, or only a very faint buffy stripe
Smaller than Carolina and Bewick’s Wrens, with a shorter tail

Bewick’s Wren Central and western North America Gray-brown above, pale gray below
White eyebrow stripe

Have you got all of that? Put these clues to the test with Bird Academy’s SnapID tool and practice distinguishing among these three wren species. You can replay the quiz as many times as you want. Each time you hit “Play Again,” you’ll have new photo matchups to practice on. Just click “Start SnapID Challenge” to get started!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Birding

Post by RTH10260 »

Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Birding

Post by Shizzle Popped »

IMG_7657 1000.jpg
IMG_7657 1000.jpg (216.27 KiB) Viewed 406 times

We have a pair of Mallards come visit our feeders every spring for a couple of weeks. Ducks mate seasonally so that begs the question of which, if either, is the returning duck. They are fun to watch though.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
jemcanada2

Birding

Post by jemcanada2 »

There are some Great White Horned owlets in an Ecopark near me. Here are some photos my friend took last weekend. There were lots of photographers/birders set up with tripods and really good cameras to photograph the babies. We were worried about lots of hawks flying overhead but they eventually flew away.
Attachments
39B6532F-0AE7-4E32-8B64-AD320797B32A.jpeg
39B6532F-0AE7-4E32-8B64-AD320797B32A.jpeg (29.38 KiB) Viewed 399 times
DCE92243-257D-4A26-810F-CE534759B119.jpeg
DCE92243-257D-4A26-810F-CE534759B119.jpeg (496.99 KiB) Viewed 399 times
northland10

Birding

Post by northland10 »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:47 am IMG_7657 1000.jpg

We have a pair of Mallards come visit our feeders every spring for a couple of weeks. Ducks mate seasonally so that begs the question of which, if either, is the returning duck. They are fun to watch though.
Excellent photo.

This is the time of year I have seen ducks on top of the house next door, and even up in the tree branches. Nothing this year.

Jem's photos are also great.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Birding

Post by Shizzle Popped »

northland10 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:58 pm
Shizzle Popped wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:47 am IMG_7657 1000.jpg

Excellent photo.

This is the time of year I have seen ducks on top of the house next door, and even up in the tree branches. Nothing this year.

Jem's photos are also great.
I have to shoo them out of the yard periodically to let the dogs out. Evie, the pup in my avatar, will go after them and we’ve had a few close calls.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Chilidog

Birding

Post by Chilidog »

A certain young ornithologist i know has been posting a lot of bird pictures on his Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/jacob.wyco?mibextid=LQQJ4d
Tiredretiredlawyer

Birding

:bighug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Birding

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... tudy-finds
Noise pollution from traffic stunts growth in baby birds, even while inside the egg, research has found.

Unhatched birds and hatchlings that are exposed to noise from city traffic experience long-term negative effects on their health, growth and reproduction, the study found.

“Sound has a much stronger and more direct impact on bird development than we knew before,” said Dr Mylene Mariette, a bird communication expert at Deakin University in Australia and a co-author of the study, published in the journal Science. “It would be wise to work more to reduce noise pollution.”

A growing body of research has suggested that noise pollution causes stress to birds and makes communication harder for them. But whether birds are already distressed at a young age because they are affected by noise, or by how noise disrupts their environment and parental care, was still unclear.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Birding

Post by pipistrelle »

Doesn’t seem to impair the European house sparrows or starlings. :mad:
Chilidog

Birding

Post by Chilidog »

speaking of noise pollution….

i wonder if traffic camera systems can be augmented to catch cars with illegally modified and excessively noisy mufflers.

:oldman:
northland10

Birding

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:29 pm Doesn’t seem to impair the European house sparrows or starlings. :mad:
:yeahthat:

Last night, I couldn't hear the traffic on the busy highway because the house sparrows were making a racket. Some male house finches were helping but at least they have a pretty song.
Chilidog wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:30 pm speaking of noise pollution….

i wonder if traffic camera systems can be augmented to catch cars with illegally modified and excessively noisy mufflers.

That would be the blue Honda.

I am also so close to becoming a traffic camera for the white Audi that flies down my road at probably at 50 (it is a residential road).
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Birding

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Chilidog wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:30 pm speaking of noise pollution….

I wouldn't be opposed. We live a hundred yards or so off a fairly busy state route that leads to one of the prettier areas in the state. On nice weekend days there's a fairly steady procession of loud motorcycles and muscle cars with their radios at full volume on their way down to disturb nature. I don't understand it.

I have a tendency to visit places where nature is the focus off season. My experience is that having humans nearby nearly always ruins the outing. We met our son in Texas during July a few years ago and went to the beach one day. There were so many radios blaring different music near us that you couldn't hear the ocean at all.
John Adams
RTH10260

Birding

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Mega-rare’ bird spotted at Oregon’s Hug Point is first sighting in U.S. history

Chilidog

Birding

Post by Chilidog »

Imani is back at Montrose Point.
IMG_1926.jpeg
IMG_1926.jpeg (125.95 KiB) Viewed 184 times
northland10

Birding

Post by northland10 »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:31 pm Imani is back at Montrose Point.

IMG_1926.jpeg
Lovely photo. Lovely composition.
RTH10260

Birding

Post by RTH10260 »

Tiredretiredlawyer

Birding

Coooooooooooool!!!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Birding

Post by AndyinPA »

Wow!

Those are big birds. I got to have my picture taken with one with its wings spread in Peru.

Return to “General Stuff”