Another Shooting

Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

One dead, 9 injured at block party shooting

https://www.kait8.com/2024/04/14/one-de ... -shooting/
WYNNE, Ark. (KAIT) - One man is dead and at least nine people are injured from a block party in Wynne Saturday evening.

According to an Arkansas State Police news release, shots were fired around 10 p.m. near the corner of Williams Avenue and Martin Luther King Street where two victims were run over by vehicles at the scene.

Police said 27-year-old Varian Campbell, of Wynne, was pronounced dead at a local hospital. The victims are male and female, with ages ranging from 24 to 49.

Victims were transported to St. Bernards CrossRidge Community Hospital in Wynne, Forrest City Medical Center, and hospitals in Memphis, Tennessee, and Jonesboro.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

New Orleans police investigate mass shooting in Warehouse District

https://www.wdsu.com/article/1-killed-1 ... d/60495910
The New Orleans Police Department is investigating a mass shooting that happened outside a nightclub in the Warehouse District Sunday night.

The shooting killed one woman and injured 11 others just before midnight.

Those injured included six women and five men, according to police.

The shooting happened in the 800 block of South Peters Street outside the nightclub Republic NOLA.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Another Shooting

Post by raison de arizona »

R A W S A L E R T S @rawsalerts wrote: 🚨#BREAKING: Multiple teens have been shot as 500-600 teens were gathered at a park for senior skip day initially for a large water gun fight

📌#Greenbelt | #Maryland

Currently, multiple law enforcement and other emergency personnel are on the scene as multiple teens have shot at Schrom Hills Park in Greenbelt, Maryland. Police say between 500-600 teens were gathered for senior skip day, initially for a large water gun fight, when shots began to ring out. Officials are reporting that five teens have been shot, with critically injured individuals taken to hospitals
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Another Shooting

An accidental shooting death involving a toddler leads to two family members of the victim arrested
Officers have determined a child accidentally shot and killed a man at a home near the Ironwood Golf Course

Officers arrested two family members of a man from Gainesville killed in a shooting last month near the Ironwood Golf Course. Officers say the man’s mother and brother covered up the fact a toddler in his home accidentally shot him.

Officers charged Lawanda Wade, 50, and Quante Whitaker, 29, with witness tampering and child abuse in connection to the shooting of Bernard Carter III on March 24. He died in the hospital several days later. Whitaker is also charged with evidence tampering and perjury.

It was initially reported on March 24, that Carter entered his family’s home at Lewis Place Apartments on Northeast 15th Street and announced he’d been shot. Detectives asked the public for help finding the killer as family members claimed not to know how Carter was shot.

Detectives later received an anonymous tip and interviewed an eyewitness. They learned that a toddler living in the home had access to an unsecured handgun. The child grabbed the gun and it went off, striking Carter.

Officers say Wade and Whitaker, Carter’s mother and brother respectively, knew what happened and covered it up. They actively misled detectives for weeks about the death. The coverup prevented the toddler and two other children in the home from getting crisis-related services.

According to the arrest report, the suspects coached the children into lying about the shooting to claim it happened outside of the house. Eventually, the children revealed the truth.

The eyewitness told detectives that Whitaker immediately took the gun and hid it above the refrigerator before disposing of it. The gun has not been recovered. He then told the witness to wash the toddler, to remove the gunshot residue, detectives say.

Wade was arrested on Wednesday and Whitaker is not currently in custody.

Who knows that might really affect the kid when he gets older,” said Bob Centofanti, a neighbor. “It was preventable you know. You just had to put the gun where he couldn’t reach it or put a trigger lock on it. I mean they aren’t that expensive. Because guns are not something to mess with. They’re kind of bad.”
https://www.wcjb.com/2024/04/18/gpd-vic ... g-toddler/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Another Shooting

People lost their jobs over this guy getting charged! Good riddance!
Video: Dad knew AR-15 under his bed was loaded. His toddler found it

The FOX 5 I-Team obtained body cam video that sheds new light on the decision to charge a Gwinnett father in the accidental shooting of his son.

Three-year-old Salvador Osorio survived after he shot himself with an AR-15 while playing under his parents' bed. Two veterans in the Gwinnett district attorney’s office lost their jobs when they disagreed with their boss' decision to indict the father.

Even the Gwinnett police detective thought the father should not be arrested, writing "it is reasonable to believe Adrian thought the (AR-15) was unloaded."

Osorio also kept a shotgun and an AK-47 under his bed. Those were unloaded.

Managing Assistant District Attorney Courtney Spicer and investigator Benji Fennell wrote a memo to District Attorney Patsy Austin-Gatson, arguing Osorio should not be indicted for keeping the gun under his bed partly because "it cannot be proven that the subject knew it was loaded or who loaded it."

Spicer later resigned. Fennell refused to testify before the grand jury in the way Austin-Gatson wanted. He was fired and has since filed an appeal.

Did Osorio know he had a loaded gun under his bed? And is it automatically a crime in Georgia to leave such a weapon in a place where children might find it?

Yes. And no.
:snippity:
https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/video- ... r-found-it
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Post by Dave from down under »

Well obviously the responsible adult wouldn’t have left a loaded gun about!

So… obviously the three year old broke into the ammunition safe and loaded the gun and then shot himself!

No wonder the police and DA employees didn’t want anything to happen to the responsible gun owner :crazy:
raison de arizona

Another Shooting

Dave from down under wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:12 pm Well obviously the responsible adult wouldn’t have left a loaded gun about!

So… obviously the three year old broke into the ammunition safe and loaded the gun and then shot himself!

No wonder the police and DA employees didn’t want anything to happen to the responsible gun owner :crazy:
I may be mistaken, but it appears the argument being made is that he didn’t think the toddler could reach the AR under the bed, and therefore the gun was stored safely.
A second reason cited for not wanting to prosecute: Osorio may have thought no one could fit under the bed which sat lower to the floor than usual.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

Osorio: "I mean they have the clip there, but they never leave the chamber. I don't know. Maybe I forgot."

Detective: "So the AK, shotgun, AR, do you keep them loaded?"

Osorio: "I think the AR."
What does that mean? He kept clips with ammo next to his arsenal of weapons under the bed?
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Unattended under the bed maybe Loaded AR… no risk there… :shrug:
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

So the THREE YEAR OLD

Inserted the fully loaded magazine of the AR* into the rifle.
Pulled the cocking handle to chamber a round
Flicked off the safety
And then SHOT Himself.

The THREE YEAR OLD!!!

* pity he wasn’t trying to insert the AK’s magazine into the AR.
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Osirio might as well have pulled the trigger…

Perhaps he did.
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

What every 3 year old needs to be proficient in to be part of the unregulated militia
(Note if your three year old cannot load the AR-15, chamber a round and flick off the safety then a responsible adult can do it for them)

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Slim Cognito »

A second reason cited for not wanting to prosecute: Osorio may have thought no one could fit under the bed which sat lower to the floor than usual.
I'm reminded of that famous Jeff Goldblum quote from Jurassic Park, "Life finds a way.,,"
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Under a bed is not safe from a rug rat..

Just as on top of the cupboard..

I hate mens rae legislation for what should be matter of fact.*

Child gets access is not by fact safely stored.
Person with oxy cutter breaches gun safe is a defence against prosecution.

*state of mind should only be a factor with guns at sentencing
Sam the Centipede

Another Shooting

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Idiot question from more peaceful shores: I get shotguns and rifles* for hunting, and I get handguns for (imagined) personal protection, but why are people buying these expensive assault** weapons?

I don't ask that facetiously, I'm genuinely curious about their motivations, and what they actually do with these things. Are they effective /ideal/ok/rubbish for hunting? Do owners go to ranges and fire off many rounds for some sort of testosterone rush, perhaps with fellow lame-os?

(I recall Ye Olde Fogge Bowe followed a RWNJ cop?/sheriff? and we had a video of him shooting many rounds, perhaps into a river, and his teenage daughter declining disdainfully when he offered her a go at being an idiot; I forget the nutter's name.)

Assault weapons aren't cheap, you can't bake bread, mow lawns, solve crossword puzzles with them, so what are purchasers imagining when they buy them, and what do the proud owners do with them?

Surely some sociologists have asked the same questions? Have they found answers?
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Another Shooting

Post by zekeb »

Doncha know you can use that AR for deer hunting in SOME states? The calibre is too large for small game and too small for large game. It was designed to kill people and nothing else.

I have a .58 muzzle loader I used for re-enacting and a .22 air rifle I use for varmint control. The .22 works fine for rabbits that decide to dig up my lawn and it doesn't wake the neighbors. The muzzleloader hasn't been used for years and I'm trying to find a way to get rid of it.
Largo al factotum.
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

ARs and AKs and SKS etc are good for maiming and killing large numbers of people.

That is their reason for existing and why they are so attractive to far too many people.

Even if they don’t do it, they know they can do it, and they know that you know that they can do it to you and everyone near you.

The power of life and death are in their hands..
Suranis

Another Shooting

Post by Suranis »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:33 am Idiot question from more peaceful shores: I get shotguns and rifles* for hunting, and I get handguns for (imagined) personal protection, but why are people buying these expensive assault** weapons?
Fear.

The gun industry and the media works by making people feel unsafe. The gun industry wants you to buy more than one weapon, and more expensive weapons, so it makes you feel insecure. And that gun you have, it's just is not good enough.

All you need for "home defence" is a $200 shotgun. Its ideal for it. An AR assault weapon is not really useful in that kind of situation. But, Like Harley Davidson motorbikes they are marketed to people who have been hyped up full of fear as the thing to have.
Hic sunt dracones
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Another Shooting

Post by Frater I*I »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:33 am Idiot question from more peaceful shores: I get shotguns and rifles* for hunting, and I get handguns for (imagined) personal protection, but why are people buying these expensive assault** weapons?

I own an AK-74.

It's main use for me is going to the range to fire KD [known distance] firing.

The secondary use is for when the hillbilly rednecks I live around decide that it's time to kick off Civil War 2.0, they'll get to learn lesson one: Nobody gets to be Warlord of my neighborhood except me.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Suranis

Another Shooting

Post by Suranis »

An AK-74 is better at closer ranges than the AR-15. You know, home defence/warlord range.
Hic sunt dracones
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

At least 2 killed, over a dozen wounded in Memphis block party shooting

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fatal-memp ... =404619987
...In a late-night briefing, interim Memphis Police Chief Cerelyn "CJ" Davis said the shooting was reported at 7:19 p.m. local time at Orange Mound Park in southeast Memphis.

Officers arrived to find five people with gunshot wounds, Davis said. Two males died at the scene and three others were rushed to local hospitals.

Police later learned that another 11 gunshot victims were taken to area hospitals by private vehicles, Davis said.
raison de arizona

Another Shooting

This is a wild one.
10-year-old Texas boy confesses to fatally shooting a man in his sleep two years ago
The boy will not face charges because he was 7 at the time of the shooting and Texas law “states that a child does not have criminal culpability until they reach the age of ten years old.”

A 10-year-old Texas boy confessed to fatally shooting a man in his sleep two years ago, according to the Gonzales County Sheriff's Office.

Brandon O’Quinn Rasberry, 32, was found dead at the Lazy J RV Park on Jan. 18, 2022, in his RV in Nixon, Texas, about 60 miles east of San Antonio, the sheriff's office said in a news release this week. An autopsy determined that Rasberry was shot once in the head, and the manner of death was homicide.

The Gonzales County Sheriff’s Office said it became aware of the child's involvement in the shooting on April 12, when a principal at the Nixon Smiley Independent School District called to report the 10-year-old for allegedly threatening "to assault and kill another student on a bus" the day before.

"A Deputy was dispatched to the school to take a report and complete an investigation," the sheriff's office said in the news release. "When the Deputy arrived he spoke with school officials who informed the Deputy the child made a statement that he shot and killed a man two years ago."

The boy was taken to a child advocacy center where he was interviewed and provided firsthand knowledge of Rasberry's murder. He told investigators that he was visiting his grandfather on Jan. 16, 2022, at the Lazy J RV Park when he took a 9 mm pistol from the glove compartment of his grandfather's truck, entered Rasberry's RV and shot him in the head while he was asleep, according to the sheriff's office. He also said he discharged the pistol another time into the couch inside Rasberry's RV before leaving.

"When asked, the child stated he had never met Brandon, and did not know who he was although he had observed him walking around the RV earlier in the day," the sheriff's office said. "The child was also asked if he was mad at Brandon for some reason or if Brandon had ever done anything to him to make him mad, the child stated no."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/10-year-ol ... rcna148666
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Society Training killers from an early age.
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

At least he can be charged with his current deadly threats or is it just a standard Texan conversation?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Another Shooting

Post by northland10 »

I don't ask that facetiously, I'm genuinely curious about their motivations, and what they actually do with these things. Are they effective /ideal/ok/rubbish for hunting? Do owners go to ranges and fire off many rounds for some sort of testosterone rush, perhaps with fellow lame-os?

(I recall Ye Olde Fogge Bowe followed a RWNJ cop?/sheriff? and we had a video of him shooting many rounds, perhaps into a river, and his teenage daughter declining disdainfully when he offered her a go at being an idiot; I forget the nutter's name.)

Assault weapons aren't cheap, you can't bake bread, mow lawns, solve crossword puzzles with them, so what are purchasers imagining when they buy them, and what do the proud owners do with them?

Surely some sociologists have asked the same questions? Have they found answers?

It starts with the feeling of power and excitement from possessing and firing a weapon. If you are feeling weaker because you perceive others as getting ahead instead of you (women, non-white, etc.), weapons can fill in that perceived void (perception can feel very real).

Then comes obsession and addiction. Everything else to the contrary is blocked by the addiction filter.

And thus, we have the defenestration of logic.
101010 :towel:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”