2024 Total Solar Eclipse

poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by poplove »

We had clear skies here in Las Vegas. We used the special glasses our local libraries gave out for last year's eclipse. I had CBS on to watch Y&R but it was preempted. Enjoyed watching the different views from various locations.
poplove

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by poplove »

Alan! (o2bnobx on Threads)
@o2bnobx
Here’s NASA winning Twitter with the Webb telescope.
Dr. Ken

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Walt Tuttle
Verified:

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Walt Tuttle »

poplove wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:55 pm
@o2bnobx
Not really from the James Webb. Think about it. Why would an eclipse happening in Texas also align with something in orbit well beyond the Earth?
tek

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by tek »

I suspect that was from a ground telescope in the path of totality.
Or AI.
Walt Tuttle
Verified:

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Walt Tuttle »

Reverse image search indicates a highly processed image from the 2017 eclipse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/extreamly_inte ... _2017_was/
Suranis

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones
Dr. Ken

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Kendra

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Kendra »

Bill Nye the Science Guy has been all over the media these last few days, but thought I'd share the days before he was what he is now. I remember watching him on late night Saturday TV after I think SNL. https://www.king5.com/article/entertain ... 68fc40897e
SEATTLE — Before he was Bill Nye the Science Guy, he was just a guy, working as an engineer at Boeing, when he happened to pop into a comedy club.

"They had a Steve Martin lookalike contest and I won," Nye said.

That led to a friendship with Ross Shafer, the original host of KING 5's comedy show, 'Almost Live!'

"I crossed paths with Ross at comedy clubs, and John Keister at comedy clubs, and so they said, 'Hey, do you want to help write for this show?' I started submitting jokes that weren't especially good."
Going OT, but one of my favorite memories of those early days was their poking fun at the Seattle weather guys and what in those days was so inept and inaccurate weather forecasts for snow. Times have changed.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by northland10 »

noblepa wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:12 pm In Vermont, some guy popped the question to his girlfriends at the moment that totality ended. I don't know if he arranged it with the cameraman or producer, but CNN got it on camera. He probably did pre-arrange it. It was pretty dramatic, because when totality ends, there is a visible flash of light as the moon recedes.

BTW, she said yes.
It would have been seriously embarrassing if she didn't.
101010 :towel:
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Greatgrey »

@o2bnobx
Impossible.

The JWST is outside the moon’s orbit, and cannot under any circumstances point at the sun.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
northland10

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by northland10 »

A colleague asked me if the birds were acting weird when it got oddly darker around here (not full though). I don't think I would be able to tell if they did or not. They act weirdly already.

- The house sparrows were acting like a roving gang of caffeined up teenagers, which is normal.

- The male house finches were singing with wild abandon as they have been doing for the last couple of weeks.

- A crow was harassing a hawk not far from my window. They do that, though I wish they had warned me so I could have gotten a great picture.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Kendra wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:15 pm Bill Nye the Science Guy has been all over the media these last few days, but thought I'd share the days before he was what he is now. I remember watching him on late night Saturday TV after I think SNL. https://www.king5.com/article/entertain ... 68fc40897e
SEATTLE — Before he was Bill Nye the Science Guy, he was just a guy, working as an engineer at Boeing, when he happened to pop into a comedy club.

"They had a Steve Martin lookalike contest and I won," Nye said.

That led to a friendship with Ross Shafer, the original host of KING 5's comedy show, 'Almost Live!'

"I crossed paths with Ross at comedy clubs, and John Keister at comedy clubs, and so they said, 'Hey, do you want to help write for this show?' I started submitting jokes that weren't especially good."
Going OT, but one of my favorite memories of those early days was their poking fun at the Seattle weather guys and what in those days was so inept and inaccurate weather forecasts for snow. Times have changed.
My favorite is this 1992 episode which was a sendup of "COPS," where he's patrolling the streets of Ballard, a neighborhood of Seattle. Back in the day, it was quiet and full of little old Swedish and Norwegian ladies. Today, all those little old ladies are long gone, and it's full of 5-story apartment buildings with lots of amenities and tons of trendy restaurants.

There is, however, a new crop of hip and feisty little old ladies in a couple of luxury assisted living places in Ballard, and my 92-year-old mother is one of them.

poplove

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by poplove »

Greatgrey wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:21 pm
@o2bnobx
Impossible.

The JWST is outside the moon’s orbit, and cannot under any circumstances point at the sun.
Reader added content:
This is an incorrect statement.

Webb’s protective sunshield is blocking the inner solar system from view. This means that the Sun, Earth, Moon, Mercury, and Venus will not be seen by it.

Details from NASA:
https://webb.nasa.gov/content/about/faq ... 20observed.
OP also corrected his source:
@o2bnobx
Normal
8%
Okay apparently the source I had was wrong, not Webb, still NASA FTW. Calm down folks!
Suranis

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Suranis »

And it was in 2017, not this one. It was released 2 months ago.

This HDR image of the solar eclipse in 2017 was recently released for the first time, and it shows one of the most detailed depictions of a solar corona ever taken. Image credit: Sebastian Voltmer
Edit, ok I was wrong, the Image is different. Still, cool image so I'll leave it.
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by AndyinPA »

We had a good view today on our back deck. We were at 97 percent. There were some clouds, but they were dispersed, and I'd say we saw 80-85 percent without clouds. Better than expected. Fairly early on, we heard a lot of barking. It was pretty awesome, and we saw a good bit of it pretty clearly. It did cool down slightly, but the birds didn't go completely silent, and it dimmed, but didn't get dark. All in all, it was a fantastic experience as we definitely saw a good view of the eclipse.

By the way, solar glasses degrade, so don't save them for the next time. If you want to get rid of them, you can throw them out, recycling the cardboard, but throw away the lenses. If you want to donate them, Warby Parker stores will take them. You can also find other places on the web that will take them, some affiliated with NASA or other groups. Donated glasses will be given to kids and people who can't afford them who are in areas with other solar eclipses coming up soon, like one in Latin America in October 2024.

I bought ten of them on Amazon months ago. I kept two, gave the rest to my daughter to share. My SIL took four of them to Erie with them, and my daughter gave one out at work, so I'll be able to donate at least seven of them.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by jez »

Watched the eclipse from the backyard with the roommate. We had the fancy glasses which were fabulous. Sadly, I wasn't able to take any pictures, but still it was cool. My nerdy little heart is happy. :lovestruck:
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
W. Kevin Vicklund

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Suranis wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:14 pm And it was in 2017, not this one. It was released 2 months ago.

This HDR image of the solar eclipse in 2017 was recently released for the first time, and it shows one of the most detailed depictions of a solar corona ever taken. Image credit: Sebastian Voltmer
Edit, ok I was wrong, the Image is different. Still, cool image so I'll leave it.
In this case, I think you were right. Same image, just mirrored and color shifted.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by keith »

Kendra wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:38 pm Just over at the top of the highest mountain in Vermont I think it was. One guy popped the question to his GF right when eclipse was happening.
Heck uva engagement ring
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Whatever4

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Whatever4 »

Temperature drop in Rangeley, ME during the eclipse.

IMG_2870.png
IMG_2870.png (92.48 KiB) Viewed 306 times
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
northland10

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by northland10 »

Whatever4 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:25 am Temperature drop in Rangeley, ME during the eclipse.

IMG_2870.png
Wow
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by bill_g »

We had thick cloud cover yesterday morning before noon PDST. You could almost look directly at the sun. My RayBan sunglasses allowed me to look at it, but the corona was still too bright to see anything besides a bright round disc. Doubling the RayBans with another polar filter fixed that once you found the best lens rotation position. Then the frown face / bite from the bottom was visible. A neighbor took a filtered photo with her iPhone confirming the partial eclipse for our lat/long.
Suranis

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Suranis »

MY EYES!.png
MY EYES!.png (70.76 KiB) Viewed 252 times
Hic sunt dracones
Kendra

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Kendra »

keith wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:36 am
Kendra wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:38 pm Just over at the top of the highest mountain in Vermont I think it was. One guy popped the question to his GF right when eclipse was happening.
Heck uva engagement ring
Indeed.
Mrich

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Mrich »

The red dot at the bottom of the total eclipse that some of us saw is explained here (the 2nd video on the page):

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/loc ... ar-eclipse

It's called a solar prominence, and it's unusual to see one during an eclipse. So those of us that saw it got a bonus!

Return to “Science”