Rest In Peace

AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

Tragic, but, sadly, inevitable. Especially once he disappeared into the gulag. RIP
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Rolodex

Rest In Peace

Post by Rolodex »

I was surprised that he was just in his 40s. So sad and awful.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by Slim Cognito »

Collapsed and died, eh? No comment on the bullet-shaped hole in the back of his head?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Rest In Peace

Post by Frater I*I »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:59 am Collapsed and died, eh? No comment on the bullet-shaped hole in the back of his head?
In Russia that's considered death by natural causes...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Rest In Peace

Post by RTH10260 »

Edie Ceccarelli, the oldest person in the US, dies aged 116
Born in 1908, Ceccarelli loved to dance and died a little over two weeks after her hometown threw her a huge birthday party

Maanvi Singh
Fri 23 Feb 2024 21.23 CET

Edie Ceccarelli, who was the oldest person in the US and the second oldest person on Earth, died on Thursday.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... t-american
Estiveo
Verified:

Rest in Peace - Friends of The Fogbow

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Rest In Peace

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Rest In Peace

Post by RTH10260 »

Iris Apfel, renowned New York designer and style icon, dies aged 102
Fashion personality who found fame in her 80s went from copywriter at Women’s Wear Daily to design authority whose projects included the White House

Chloe Mac Donnell
Sat 2 Mar 2024 10.26 CET

Iris Apfel, the interior designer and fashion tastemaker who found fame as an octogenarian, has died aged 102.

Apfel’s agent, Lori Sale, confirmed her death on Friday, and said “working alongside her was the honour of a lifetime”.

“She was a visionary in every sense of the word. She saw the world through a unique lens – one adorned with giant, distinctive spectacles that sat atop her nose. Through those lenses, she saw the world as a kaleidoscope of colour, a canvas of patterns and prints,” said Sale.

It is understood Apfel died at her home in Palm Beach, Florida, on Friday.

As an eminent authority on antique fabrics, Apfel consulted on restoration projects including work at the White House.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... e-dies-102
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'd never heard of her, but now I wish I had. She sounds amazing.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:29 am I'd never heard of her, but now I wish I had. She sounds amazing.
:yeahthat:
sugar magnolia

Rest In Peace

Post by sugar magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:33 am
Iris Apfel, renowned New York designer and style icon, dies aged 102
Fashion personality who found fame in her 80s went from copywriter at Women’s Wear Daily to design authority whose projects included the White House

Chloe Mac Donnell
Sat 2 Mar 2024 10.26 CET

Iris Apfel, the interior designer and fashion tastemaker who found fame as an octogenarian, has died aged 102.

Apfel’s agent, Lori Sale, confirmed her death on Friday, and said “working alongside her was the honour of a lifetime”.

“She was a visionary in every sense of the word. She saw the world through a unique lens – one adorned with giant, distinctive spectacles that sat atop her nose. Through those lenses, she saw the world as a kaleidoscope of colour, a canvas of patterns and prints,” said Sale.

It is understood Apfel died at her home in Palm Beach, Florida, on Friday.

As an eminent authority on antique fabrics, Apfel consulted on restoration projects including work at the White House.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... e-dies-102
Oh no!!!! I knew she wasn't in good health, but ....

I have often wished I had her vision.
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

Yeah, I know that this thread is more for famous people, but I'm going to post it anyway.

Our Washington State Patrol trooper tragically lost in the line of duty this morning has been identified as Trooper Christopher M. Gadd, a 27-year-old dedicated father, son, brother, and friend. His name was announced during a 1:30 p.m. press conference held in Marysville, which can be viewed here: https://youtube.com/live/-ZRiKbr8acs

Trooper Gadd was killed early this morning after being struck by a motorist on southbound Interstate 5 near 136th Street North in Marysville. He served two-and-a-half years with the WSP.

Trooper Gadd, 27, is survived by his wife, Cammryn, daughter Kaelyn, father WSP Trooper David Gadd, mother Gillian, sister, Jacqueline who currently serves as a trooper with the Texas Department of Public Safety, and many other family members, friends and colleagues.
Trooper Gadd is the 33rd member of the WSP to die in the line of duty in the agency’s 103 years of service to this state.

Trooper Gadd was born on Sept. 28, 1996, in Pasco, Wash. He graduated from Kentlake High School in Kent, Wash., before attending Green River College and Tacoma Community College, earning his Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT) certification. Trooper Gadd married his wife Cammryn on Jan. 11, 2020. The couple welcomed their daughter, Kaelyn Rebecca, on Jan. 31, 2022.

This promising young man began working for the WSP on Sept. 16, 2021, as a trooper cadet assigned to Grandview. He joined the 116th Trooper Basic Training Class (TBTC) on April 18, 2022. He successfully graduated later that year on Nov. 16 and was assigned to serve in Marysville.
While at the academy, Trooper Gadd received the Top Academic Award that recognizes the outstanding efforts of the cadet who attains the highest grade point average compiled in the more than 30 exams necessary for graduation.

“Chris’s passing is a devastating loss to his family – a family who knows all too well the risks of public service but still has offered that service with unquestioned valor and now, unfathomable sacrifice,” said WSP Chief John R. Batiste. “I can tell you that across the entire Washington State Patrol, every head is bowed, every knee is bent, and every heart is broken as we mourn this loss. To honor Chris, even in sorrow, we will go on. We will continue to serve. Because he did, we must.”

The WSP appreciates both the media and public’s honoring of the family’s privacy at this time. After consultation with the family, the WSP will make information available in the days to come on service and memorial planning.
We will never forget Trooper Christopher M. Gadd #927
:crying:
John Thomas8

Rest In Peace

Post by John Thomas8 »

Chris Mortensen, 72, long time ESPN NFL reporter:

"Mort was widely respected as an industry pioneer and universally beloved as a supportive, hard-working teammate," Jimmy Pitaro, chairman of ESPN, said in a statement. "He covered the NFL with extraordinary skill and passion, and was at the top of his field for decades. He will truly be missed by colleagues and fans, and our hearts and thoughts are with his loved ones."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/396 ... ies-age-72
RTH10260

Rest In Peace

Post by RTH10260 »

added:
Iris Apfel obituary
American interior designer, collector and stylist regarded as one of the great exotics of 20th-century fashion

Veronica Horwell
Sun 3 Mar 2024 18.01 CET

Iris Apfel was finally recognised as a great, original fashion stylist in her 80s, when the Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum in New York had a sudden gap in its 2005 exhibition schedule. Many curators knew Apfel, who has died aged 102, as a collector stashing away clothes, especially costume jewellery, both couture-high and street-market-low, so the institute asked to borrow some of her thousands of pieces.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... l-obituary
Estiveo
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
MN-Skeptic

Rest In Peace

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Eric Carmen, 74 -

MN-Skeptic

Rest In Peace

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Damn. I just listened to that song again. There are some songs which hit totally different when you've lost your spouse than back when you're in college.
sad-cafe

Rest In Peace

Post by sad-cafe »

yes
RTH10260

Rest In Peace

Post by RTH10260 »

Iron lung man Paul Alexander dead at 78: Lawyer who was paralysed after suffering Polio as a six year old and lived in an iron lung for 70 years dies
  • Paul Alexander contracted polio in 1952 and spent a lifetime in an iron lung
    His team confirmed via his fundraiser that he had died aged 78 on Monday
By JAMES REYNOLDS
PUBLISHED: 08:51 GMT, 13 March 2024 | UPDATED: 11:23 GMT, 13 March 2024

Paul Alexander, the man who lived in an iron lung for more than 70 years, has died at the age of 78.

A fundraiser for his healthcare confirmed Alexander, of Dallas, Texas, passed away on Monday without providing further details.

Alexander spent an extraordinary lifetime in the iron lung machine after contracting polio in 1952, aged six, which left him paralysed from the neck down.

Unable to breathe by himself, he relied on the machine to breathe for more than seven decades - even as new technologies became available.

But in spite of his physical constraints, Alexander achieved much as a published author, lawyer and avid traveller, remembered worldwide for his enduring positive attitude and smile.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -dies.html
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Rest In Peace

Post by northland10 »

Getting closer to a day when Polio is only history.

https://polioeradication.org/wp-content ... 240305.pdf

Other sources are things like water and sewage testing, i.e. finding the virus in the environment.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260

Rest In Peace

Post by RTH10260 »

from the German and European world of popular music of the Sixties
Hans Blum (23 May 1928 – 15 March 2024), also known as Henry Valentino, was a German singer-songwriter known for his distinctive musical style, which has been the inspiration of a generation of German musicians. His recordings include the hit single "Im Wagen vor mir."[1] He wrote and conducted three entries that represented Germany in the Eurovision Song Contest: "Anouschka" (performed by Inge Brück in 1967), "Primaballerina" (performed by Siw Malmkvist in 1969), and "Über die Brücke geh'n" (performed by Ingrid Peters in 1986).

Blum died on 15 March 2024, at the age of 95.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Blum_(musician)
Estiveo
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by Estiveo »

M. Emmet Walsh, 88, prolific character actor.

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/m-emme ... 235947723/
Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

RIP. I always enjoyed him.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

Former Senator Joe Lieberman, age 82, from complications of a fall.
John Thomas8

Rest In Peace

Post by John Thomas8 »

Return to “General Stuff”