💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Suranis

💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - "My Kevin" McCarthy "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, House Speaker /Clowns

Post by Suranis »

noblepa wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:17 pm TFG and his maga followers think that the US should not be involved in the world, unless the world pays us Him a lot of money.
Correction. There is no "us" in the Turnip's solid head.
Hic sunt dracones
Uninformed

💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - "My Kevin" McCarthy "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, House Speaker /Clowns

Post by Uninformed »

I suspect that if tfg had a free rein he’d expect most of the rest of the world to do what he says full stop.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Dr. Ken wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:22 am I see McCarthy is taking up a career in stand up comedy in his spare time
https:/ /twitter.com/atrupar/status/1771917809108254795
He wants his job back.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Uninformed wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:09 pm I suspect that if tfg had a free rein he’d expect most of the rest of the world to do what he says full stop.
Actually, he expects everyone to do what he says.

That was kinda my point. He thinks the world owes him. He doesn't understand that the world doesn't work that way.

As I said in my post, if you want to be a world power, you have to act like one.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

noblepa wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:58 pm Actually, he expects everyone to do what he says.
Agreed. I was alluding to my belief that not only would he not assist allies unless he got his way, he would also not shrink from using HIS armed forces against any “sh*t hole, third world” country that didn’t play ball - the USA’s economic might would achieve the desired results in many cases. Whether or not he would eventually get into a “p*sing contest” with the “strong” leaders he seems to respect is a fun topic, as is what he would domestically.

In some ways I think tfg does believe in “America First”, but definitely by might rather than right. He really doesn’t care about how rational people think the world should work. Fortunately I also think, despite the supposed poll results, that he will lose the election (but then I thought/hoped people wouldn’t vote for Brexit). That would leave mainly America to deal with the fallout; his antics have already done enough damage globally.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 0f28&ei=16
Going after the "Biden Crime Family" is costing House Oversight Chair James Comer (R-KY) and his family dearly — so he's passing around a figurative collection plate in the form of an email to raise support.

“I ask you to take the time to read this email in its entirety,” writes Comer, who along with Judiciary Chair Jim Jordan (R-OH), have been spearheading an impeachment inquiry hinged on the theory that Biden laundered international bribes through his son Hunter's foreign business dealings.
He got fact checked by WAPO. https://wapo.st/3vsXmeZ. Gift link.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Mike Johnson faces revolt by hard-right Republicans over Ukraine aid package
Some House members remain staunchly opposed to proposal and one of them has already threatened to oust the speaker

Joan E Greve in Washington
Mon 8 Apr 2024 12.00 CEST

House speaker Mike Johnson returns to work on Monday facing mounting pressure to advance a Ukraine aid package as well as the threat of an intra-party revolt if he does so.

The Republican speaker has indicated the House will take up the issue of Ukraine funding this week, as the chamber reconvenes after a two-week recess. But many hard-right members of Johnson’s conference remain staunchly opposed to additional Ukraine aid, and one of them has already threatened to oust the speaker, complicating the potential timing of a floor vote.

As the House adjourned last month, Johnson vowed that the chamber would soon “take the necessary steps to address the supplemental funding request”, which includes money for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan. The Senate passed a $95bn foreign aid package in February, but Johnson indicated that the House would consider an amended proposal when members return to Washington.

“We’ve been talking to all the members, especially now over the district work period,” Johnson told Fox News last Sunday. “When we return after this work period, we’ll be moving a product, but it’s going to, I think, have some important innovations.”

Those innovations might include sending money to Kyiv as a loan or redirecting Russian assets seized under the Rebuilding Economic Prosperity and Opportunity (Repo) for Ukrainians Act. But even those changes are unlikely to sway the most vocal Ukraine skeptics in the House Republican conference, such as congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia.

Before the House adjourned last month, Greene introduced a motion to remove Johnson as speaker in protest of the passage of a large government funding package, but she stopped short of forcing a vote on the matter. Speaking to CNN on Wednesday, Greene suggested she may soon push for a vote on Johnson’s ouster if he moves forward with a Ukraine aid bill.

“I’m not saying I have a red line or a trigger, and I’m not saying I don’t have a red line or trigger,” Greene said. “But I’m going to tell you right now: funding Ukraine is probably one of the most egregious things that he can do.”

Even as Johnson faces a challenge from the hard-right flank of his conference, other House Republicans insist the chamber must take action to assist Ukraine. They warn that further inaction, after months of ignoring the White House’s demands to approve more funding, will only embolden Russian president Vladimir Putin.

“We are at a critical juncture on the ground that is beginning to be able to impact not only morale of the Ukrainians that are fighting, but also their ability to fight,” congressman Mike Turner, the Republican chair of the House intelligence committee, told CBS News last Sunday. “Putin knows this. This is obviously an area where we cannot allow Putin to win.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... epublicans
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:13 am
Mike Johnson faces revolt by hard-right Republicans Putin caucus over Ukraine aid package
FIFT
101010 :towel:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

And all because a solid majority of the house favours the Ukrainian aid package.
Hic sunt dracones
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Please file a real motion to vacate. Then we can have another circus and hopefully this time the adults will just put in jeffries.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

It won’t be long before Johnson is begging them to toss him out on his ass.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Trump urges House Republicans to kill FISA bill, adding to headaches for Speaker Johnson

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/10/politics ... index.html
Former President Donald Trump is urging House Republicans to kill a surveillance reauthorization bill ahead of a key procedural vote on Wednesday, adding to headaches for GOP leaders who have struggled to build support for the legislation as it faces pushback from conservative hardliners.

“KILL FISA, IT WAS ILLEGALLY USED AGAINST ME, AND MANY OTHERS,” Trump wrote on social media. “THEY SPIED ON MY CAMPAIGN!!!”

Trump wading into the debate now is a major problem for House Speaker Mike Johnson and could imperil the entire bill, as some hardliners were already either critical of the measure or on the fence about it.

House Republicans have been fiercely divided over how to handle FISA reauthorization, putting pressure on Johnson to find a path forward amid competing factions within his conference. With the threat of a vote on his ouster looming, the Louisiana Republican’s every move is under even more intense scrutiny, and the speaker has once again found himself odds with his right flank over the surveillance law.

Johnson had previously announced that the House will take up a FISA reauthorization bill this week. The bill, titled the Reforming Intelligence and Securing America Act, would reauthorize Section 702 of FISA for five years and aims to impose a series of reforms.

In a sign of the trouble ahead for GOP leaders, however, at least one Republican, Rep. Matt Gaetz, has already said he would vote against a procedural vote expected Wednesday afternoon, which means Speaker Johnson can only afford to lose one more.

Authority for Section 702 was extended through April 19 as part of the National Defense Authorization Act.

Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act is a major and controversial law that allows warrantless surveillance of foreigners but also sweeps up the communications of American citizens.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:41 am Please file a real motion to vacate. Then we can have another circus and hopefully this time the adults will just put in jeffries.
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:23 am
Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:41 am Please file a real motion to vacate. Then we can have another circus and hopefully this time the adults will just put in jeffries.
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Not. Going. To. Happen.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

The death threats and abuse are not worth it.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Adam Parkhomenko @AdamParkhomenko wrote: BREAKING: Kevin McCarthy says he is not speaker because Matt Gaetz wanted him to stop an ethics complaint because he slept with a 17 year old
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:13 pm
Adam Parkhomenko @AdamParkhomenko wrote: BREAKING: Kevin McCarthy says he is not speaker because Matt Gaetz wanted him to stop an ethics complaint because he slept with a 17 year old
I've lost track, but I believe that the ethics investigation involving Gaetz is still active, is it not?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:13 pm
Odd that they are headlining this now, because moral authority Kevin McCarthy said this weeks AND months ago, and everyone immediately started talking about something else because their Twit Social media feds were filled with something, anything else.

Its almost as though Almost as though those people who control the narrative wanted everyone eyes elsewhere then, and NOW want to pull peoples eyes away from something else. But that would mean the Media are complicit and that would never happen.

https://www.newsweek.com/matt-gaetz-eth ... ow-1883021
Matt Gaetz Ethics Complaint Allegations—What We Know

Published Mar 25, 2024

By Tom Norton

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's motion to dismiss fellow Republican House Speaker Mike Johnson has reopened wounds between GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz and former Republican House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, with refreshed allegations that Gaetz sought McCarthy's help to quiet an ethics probe investigating his conduct.

McCarthy told CBS this weekend that the motion filed by Gaetz to dismiss him as Speaker had been part of a plan to shut down the ethics probe.

Speaking at a Republican conference on Sunday, amid the newest motion to dismiss a House Speaker, McCarthy said, "The one advice I would give to the conference and to the Speaker is: Do not be fearful of a motion to vacate.

"I do not think they could do it again. That was surely based on Matt Gaetz trying to stop an ethics complaint."

Asked by CBS News' Face the Nation, McCarthy claimed that Gaetz had previously told him to "do something illegal to stop the Ethics Committee from moving forward in an investigation that was started long before I became a Speaker."

:snippity:

"Matt's case was much different. It was about a personal thing that he had done, and that's what he was trying to get something illegally stopped ... .

"I think the Ethics Committee, it was purely Matt coming to me, trying [to get] me to do something illegal to stop the Ethics Committee from moving forward [with] an investigation that was started long before I became Speaker."

McCarthy has previously alleged that Gaetz's motion to vacate was motivated by the ethics probe.

"We all know it's the ethics complaint on Gaetz," McCarthy said in December 2023, according to reporting by The Daily Beast and The Washington Examiner. "He's doing everything to make sure it doesn't come out, and he doesn't care about anything else. People study that type of crazy mind, right? Mainly, the FBI."
Feel manipulated yet?
Hic sunt dracones
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:21 am Trump urges House Republicans to kill FISA bill, adding to headaches for Speaker Johnson

“KILL FISA, IT WAS ILLEGALLY USED AGAINST ME, AND MANY OTHERS,” Trump wrote on social media. “THEY SPIED ON MY CAMPAIGN!!!
At least he does not hide his only notification. "And Many Others" was only added to try and reduce the "all about me" whine.

He must of forgotten about the reauthorization in 2017:
01/19/2018 Became Public Law No: 115-118.
01/19/2018 Signed by President.
01/19/2018 Senate Presented to President.
01/18/2018 Senate Message on Senate action sent to the House.
01/18/2018 Senate Senate agreed to the House amendment to S. 139 by Yea-Nay Vote. 65 - 34. Record Vote Number: 12.
Yeah, cared about others then....
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

Somebunnies got the memo.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

northland10 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:19 pm
Volkonski wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:21 am Trump urges House Republicans to kill FISA bill, adding to headaches for Speaker Johnson

“KILL FISA, IT WAS ILLEGALLY USED AGAINST ME, AND MANY OTHERS,” Trump wrote on social media. “THEY SPIED ON MY CAMPAIGN!!!
At least he does not hide his only notification. "And Many Others" was only added to try and reduce the "all about me" whine.

He must of forgotten about the reauthorization in 2017:
01/19/2018 Became Public Law No: 115-118.
01/19/2018 Signed by President.
01/19/2018 Senate Presented to President.
01/18/2018 Senate Message on Senate action sent to the House.
01/18/2018 Senate Senate agreed to the House amendment to S. 139 by Yea-Nay Vote. 65 - 34. Record Vote Number: 12.
Yeah, cared about others then....
It is always about him, always. He never wanted to make America great, he wanted (and wants) to make everyone say he's great. He is a very dangerous, likely demented, malignant narcissist. The possibility that this completely characterless maniac may be president again is mortifying.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

House GOP erupts over “dysfunction” after hardliners kill vote

https://www.axios.com/2024/04/10/house- ... aucus-fisa
House Republicans' internal tensions reignited on Wednesday after a group of right-wing hardliners blocked a key federal surveillance bill from coming to a vote.

Why it matters: It marks more than a half dozen times this Congress that Republicans' right flank ran the party's legislative agenda aground by revolting on a standard party-line procedural vote.

GOP lawmakers plan to meet for a special conference meeting at 4pm, according to a one House Republican who predicted it will amount to an "airing of grievances with some angry people."

Driving the news: A group of 19 House Republicans — predominantly members of the right-wing Freedom Caucus — voted with Democrats to block the procedural measure, known as a "rule."

The underlying bill would renew Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), which allows U.S. intelligence agencies to conduct warrantless surveillance of non-Americans abroad.

But amid growing GOP skepticism of federal law enforcement and intelligence agencies, many Republicans pushed for substantial restrictions to protect Americans' privacy rights.

What they're saying: "Why would I want to tank the rule? Let's get it on the floor and let us decide," said Rep. Troy Nehls (R-Texas), a Freedom Caucus member who voted for the rule.

"This is dysfunction. Nobody can lead this place. Look at it. What have we ever been able to really get accomplished?" Nehls added.

Rep. Michael McCaul (R-Texas) told Axios: "It's my tenth term and I've never seen that before. We have to govern ... when I first came in, if you vote against the rule, there are consequences."

Zoom in: Even some Republicans who said they opposed or had serious concerns about the FISA bill denounced their right-wing colleagues' tactics.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

noblepa wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:58 pm
Uninformed wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:09 pm I suspect that if tfg had a free rein he’d expect most of the rest of the world to do what he says full stop.
Actually, he expects everyone to do what he says.

That was kinda my point. He thinks the world owes him. He doesn't understand that the world doesn't work that way.

As I said in my post, if you want to be a world power, you have to act like one.
He only understands vengeance. The World has, like former President Obama, laughed at him. So, he is desirous of burning it down any way he can. What he doesn't grok is that his "best buds", Putin/MBS/Kim, are laughing at him too.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
raison de arizona

Swalwell bringing the heat to Johnson and the Repubican't House. :boxing:
Brian Krassenstein @krassenstein wrote: Rep Eric Swalwell just said the following in regards to Mike Johnson, FISA and Donald Trump:

“Standing with Trump when it comes to national security means standing with terrorists.”

“Standing with Trump as it relates to Ukraine means standing with Putin.”

“Standing with Trump as it relates to the border means standing with chaos & disorder.”

I think my biggest reason to support FISA is that our enemies and adversaries would benefit significantly without it. I do feel that we could make it better and less risky for ordinary Americans though. I wouldn’t be opposed to changing a few things within the FISA courts.
raison de arizona

Moscow Mike to Putin's rescue.
https://x.com/JayinKyiv/status/1777993808929579240
Jay in Kyiv @JayinKyiv wrote: Mike Johnson doubles down on his service to Putin, refusing to meet UK delegation pleading to allow vote on Ukraine aid.

Putin has successfully frozen US congress as he has frozen so many other world bodies, by merely controlling a few key people.
Story: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... kraine-aid
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Current Politics”