The View From Maybelot

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

Power’s back, and one of our outdoor cats, Ivy, has returned. Still waiting to see if White Mike makes his way back here.

:lovestruck: :dance:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

The View From Maybelot

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

White Mike is back! But we might have to call him Grey Mike for awhile yet.
IMG_8740.jpeg
IMG_8740.jpeg (82.31 KiB) Viewed 427 times
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

The View From Maybelot

Post by raison de arizona »

So sorry to hear of your loss, but so happy for you that it wasn’t worse! :bighug:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

The View From Maybelot

Post by AndyinPA »

On the critters :thumbsup: :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
qbawl

The View From Maybelot

Post by qbawl »

Frater I*I wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:02 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:59 am Talked to the insurance company yesterday. Everything will be covered. I’m supposed to hear from the adjuster today. We need to make a list of everything that was in the barn. There was quite a bit of stuff, but we’ll be able to do that.
Don't forget to include the Picasso... :biggrin:
And of course your one of a kind antique Lamborghini tractor!
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

Now that it’s dark we can see that there are still a few hot spots on the property - mostly glowing coals but a few small flames. The rain is supposed to start soon.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

The View From Maybelot

Post by keith »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:06 pm :snippity:

It’s going to start raining here at 10:00 pm, and we’re expecting an inch in the next 24 hours. That ought to help.
Doan wanna be 'that guy' , but...

The rain will hopefully help knock down a lot of the embers and internally burning stumps, but now you gotta pay attention to erosion and landslips caused by the rain since your ground cover is gone. You are already complaining about slides of loose rock held in place by the now gone kudzu.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

Don’t worry, I was already ‘that guy.’ We’re very concerned about landslides. Much as I hate the kudzu, it did its job. And it’ll be back.

It’s nice to hear the rain on the roof.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

The View From Maybelot

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, kudzu is pretty indestructible, and will be back. Keith is right, though, the rain will help with hotspots but might wash away a bit of uncovered soil.

Ol' Wifehorn and I are keeping our fingers crossed. :bighug:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

The View From Maybelot

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

We saw a snowplow drive by here a bit ago :?
pipistrelle

The View From Maybelot

Post by pipistrelle »

Kudzu control.

https://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/ja/ja_miller006.pdf

Yikes, it's still spreading. Oregon was mentioned...

I wonder if there's a native ground cover that could be planted now that would keep the kudzu from coming back, or compete with it.
sugar magnolia

The View From Maybelot

Post by sugar magnolia »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:47 am Kudzu control.

https://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/ja/ja_miller006.pdf

Yikes, it's still spreading. Oregon was mentioned...

I wonder if there's a native ground cover that could be planted now that would keep the kudzu from coming back, or compete with it.
Nothing can compete with kudzu, including ground covers and huge trees. It's illegal to plant in several states because it's so destructive. Almost half the vine is underground and even after being burned off or sprayed, one little tiny root or node left in the soil will result in a new takeover of the land. There's a reason it's known as "the vine that ate the South."
Thanks, Japan!
Maybenaut

The View From Maybelot

Post by Maybenaut »

We had the septic guy here this morning. The septic system and the underground fresh water cistern were damaged. The septic tank is plastic and needs to be completely replaced. The cistern is concrete. The guy said it can probably be sanitized and repaired. The plastic riser coming up out of the tank and the plastic manhole cover burned off, but the tank is otherwise OK, just full of dirty water.

The barn needs to be torn down and rebuilt. We might relocate it to a different part of the property.

Now the whole place smells like yesterday’s campfire.

If I could just get the insurance company (USAA) to return my calls. I was assigned an adjuster, who has me on ignore. I have yet to speak to her. The intake person said she would return my call within 24 hours. That was Thursday. I left a message Monday and yesterday. Crickets. Her voicemail has the name and extension of her supervisor. That will be my next call.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

The View From Maybelot

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:27 pm White Mike is back! But we might have to call him Grey Mike for awhile yet.

IMG_8740.jpeg
:groupdance: :mbounce: :bar:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”