X -Where Twitter goes to die.

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Judge tosses Elon Musk’s case against hate speech watchdog in excoriating rebuke

A federal judge on Monday threw out a lawsuit by Elon Musk’s X that had targeted a watchdog group for its critical reports about hate speech on the social media platform.

In a blistering 52-page order, the judge blasted X’s case as plainly punitive rather than about protecting the platform’s security and legal rights.

“Sometimes it is unclear what is driving a litigation,” wrote District Judge Charles Breyer, of the US District Court for the Northern District of California, in the order’s opening lines. “Other times, a complaint is so unabashedly and vociferously about one thing that there can be no mistaking that purpose.”

“This case represents the latter circumstance,” Breyer continued. “This case is about punishing the Defendants for their speech.”
:snippity:
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/03/25/tech ... h-watchdog

The order: https://www.pacermonitor.com/view/DL7CJ ... d=tGE3TEOA
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I should avoid twitter before work.

Today I saw a guy talking about democrat-funded trolls attacking poor Devin Nunes, who was trying to be cute about "cherry picking." Then someone attacked the guy defending Nunes for not being MAGA enough, so therefore being a RINO. I looked the guy up as his profile says he's a doctor. He is--in Ireland. His medical license was suspended because he refused to vaccinate patients against COVID-19. Yep, this guy is not MAGA enough and is RINO.

That's the quality of conversation you'll get on twitter.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Apparently folks are now getting blue checks whether they want them or not -

Steve Vladeck
@steve_vladeck

What if … I don’t want one?

Bradley P. Moss
@BradMossEsq

Excuse me, why do I have a blue check mark?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Did someone start autocharging their credit card accounts :?: ;)

I bet some junior programmer made a snafu, do not let Elon near the source code :blackeye:
bob

Post by bob »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:22 pm Did someone start autocharging their credit card accounts :?: ;)

I bet some junior programmer made a snafu, do not let Elon near the source code :blackeye:
IIRC, Musk had said blue checkmarks could be discretionarily awarded (i.e., reinstated) to legacy accounts (i.e., those who had earned them the old-fashioned way).

In other words, Twitter is only now realizing that blue checkmarks are a badge of shame (because only chumps buy them, as pointed out by, well, everybody when Musk had instituted this change), so this is an attempt to restore their "value."

"Interesting" there's no way to now reject one.
Image ImageImage
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

GKRvXwEaMAAoRo8.jpeg
GKRvXwEaMAAoRo8.jpeg (46.15 KiB) Viewed 867 times
Image Image Image Image
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

No blue checkmark for me. It can't be because I have had the account since 2009 and have 27 followers, and around 17 posts (not including a few reposts). Yes, I counted them but it was not a difficult task.

As for replies, I guess if I take the 142 posts and subtract the 17 posts and the 5 or something reposts, I would get the number.

Nope, too lazy to bother.
101010 :towel:
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Lawsuit heating up in the case where a guy is suing Musk. It seems Musk posted some stuff on X without actually checking to see if it was true!
Elon Musk‘s erratic posting on X, formerly Twitter, has come back to haunt him once again as a 22-year-old Jewish man pursues a defamation case over tweets in which the tech mogul baselessly suggested the recent college graduate was an undercover federal agent posing as a neo-Nazi during a street fight between far-right groups. Musk’s excruciating March 27 deposition in the matter, which a judge ordered released to the public over the objections of the CEO’s lawyer, reveals the extent to which he has continually sabotaged both himself and the social media platform he owns.
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... 235000968/
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
raison de arizona

Rolodex wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:51 pm Lawsuit heating up in the case where a guy is suing Musk. It seems Musk posted some stuff on X without actually checking to see if it was true!
Elon Musk‘s erratic posting on X, formerly Twitter, has come back to haunt him once again as a 22-year-old Jewish man pursues a defamation case over tweets in which the tech mogul baselessly suggested the recent college graduate was an undercover federal agent posing as a neo-Nazi during a street fight between far-right groups. Musk’s excruciating March 27 deposition in the matter, which a judge ordered released to the public over the objections of the CEO’s lawyer, reveals the extent to which he has continually sabotaged both himself and the social media platform he owns.
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... 235000968/
Excellent article! For those without access to Rolling Stone…
Musk Admits He Doesn't Fact-Check Himself and Has Two Burner Accounts on Twitter
In a humiliating deposition his lawyer tried to keep under wraps, the CEO struggled to justify tweets that prompted a defamation lawsuit
APRIL 8 AT 5:00 PM

Elon Musk's erratic posting on X, formerly Twitter, has come back to haunt him once again as a 22-year-old Jewish man pursues a defamation case over tweets in which the tech mogul baselessly suggested the recent college graduate was an undercover federal agent posing as a neo-Nazi during a street fight between far-right groups. Musk's excruciating March 27 deposition in the matter, which a judge ordered released to the public over the objections of the CEO's lawyer, reveals the extent to which he has continually sabotaged both himself and the social media platform he owns.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.socialmediatoday.com/news/n ... ic/712242/
No, X Isn’t Seeing All Time High Traffic
Whether Elon Musk’s X (formerly Twitter) project is performing great or not, X is doing itself no favors with its repeated amplification of misleading, and/or incorrect, stats.

Today, Elon Musk pinned this post on his timeline, which purportedly shows that X is reaching new highs in traffic.
IMG_6325.jpeg
IMG_6325.jpeg (62.48 KiB) Viewed 666 times
But that’s not what this chart indicates.

First off, the chart, which has been sourced from SEO management platform SEMRush, displays website traffic only, and does not include app usage. Around 80% of X’s usage comes via the app, so this is only a minor fraction of X’s overall usage data, based specifically on visits to www.x.com (or www.twitter.com).

So it’s not indicative of overall traffic, and/or usage of the app.

But the bigger question about this chart, of course, is why X saw such a massive spike in traffic in April last year?

As I’ve covered previously, organic traffic to www.twitter.com, based on SEMRush’s data, went from around a billion per day, on average, up till April 5th 2023, to more than 2 billion just two days later, on April 7th. Since then it’s continued to increase, and is now up to an average of around 3 billion per day.

But nothing specific happened in April last year. So why the jump?

I asked SEMRush, and this was their explanation:

“Upon reviewing the report, there appears to be a misunderstanding about the organic traffic values. The spike observed in the data corresponds with an update we implemented. This update, executed on April 6th, resulted in additional data being incorporated into our metrics (that is the SERP Features). Consequently, this led to spikes in figures in our toolkit across all websites, not exclusively Twitter.”

In other words, SEMRush changed its reporting methodology to include SERP Features, the breakout panels in Google Search that show, among other things, X posts related to your search term.

So the jump in April last year is not reflective of a traffic increase for X at all, and is almost entirely linked to this update.

Which is also why this report doesn’t align with other third party reports that we’ve reported on, including:

Apptopia’s report, released in October last year, which showed that X has seen a 13% decline in daily active users since Musk took over at the app.
SimilarWeb, which reported that X has seen a 14% decline in mobile and web visits since September 2022.
AppAnnie’s 2023 “State of Mobile” report, which found that X’s monthly active user count declined significantly between 2022 and 2023.
Sensor Tower’s recent update, which showed that X usage has declined 18% year-over-year
Edison Research’s Infinite Dial report for 2023, which indicates that X has seen a 30% decline in usage, based on user surveys.
Indeed, X itself reported in November 2022 that it had 250 million daily active users, which is the exact same amount it reported again this month, which suggests that it isn’t seeing any major spike in usage.

It’s not necessarily losing traffic either, based on this. But the idea that X could have somehow tripled its web traffic, and maintained the exact same amount of overall users seems implausible.

Unless a heap of people stopped using the mobile app, and started using it on web instead. Which seems equally doubtful.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

So he IS censoring stuff, it's just a question of WHAT he is censoring. The free speech king.
https://english.elpais.com/internationa ... ments.html
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

Huh. They don't appear to want their products associated with Nazi bullshit. Go figure. Maybe Elmo will sue them, that's worked so well for him in the past.
Hyundai pauses X ads over pro-Nazi content on the platform
The move came after a Hyundai ad appeared next to antisemitic posts from a user who has posted pro-Hitler content.

The automaker Hyundai said it had paused its advertising on Elon Musk’s social media app, X, after a sponsored post from the company appeared next to antisemitic and pro-Nazi posts.

Hyundai confirmed the pause in a statement to NBC News late Wednesday and said it was taking its brand safety concerns to Musk’s company.

“We have paused our ads on X and are speaking to X directly about brand safety to ensure this issue is addressed,” Hyundai said in the statement.

Nancy Levine Stearns, a freelance journalist and X user, posted a screenshot Wednesday of a Hyundai ad running on an X account that often posts Holocaust denial and antisemitism. Stearns has written about brand safety on X for Hill Reporter, a progressive news site.

Joe Benarroch, head of business operations at X, confirmed the Hyundai pause in an email Thursday in response to questions. He said X was working with Hyundai’s marketers to put in place further brand safety controls.
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/ ... rcna148414
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

northland10 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:04 pm No blue checkmark for me. It can't be because I have had the account since 2009 and have 27 followers, and around 17 posts (not including a few reposts). Yes, I counted them but it was not a difficult task.

As for replies, I guess if I take the 142 posts and subtract the 17 posts and the 5 or something reposts, I would get the number.

Nope, too lazy to bother.
I 'have' a Xitter account from a looooonnnnnnnggggggg time ago (before it was Xitter). Not only can I not remember the password, I cannot remember the account name or what ever credentials I used to connect.

I think I created maybe 3 posts - all trying to complain to the SBS (an Australian public TV network) commentary crew that they continuously mispronounced the name of a Tour de France rider named 'Martinez'. I never got a response back, I'm not even sure it got anywhere the crew might have seen it - I could never figure out how the damn thing worked. Anyway this took place so long ago that I don't even think that Martinez is still riding.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

I recall you posted about that..
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

The only I see are for drop shipping, weight loss, supplements, psychics—sorta like National Enquirer circa 1975.
Dave from down under

Begging to be fined

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-20/ ... /103748930

In short: Social media giant X says it will not comply with requests from the eSafety commissioner to take down content referencing the Wakeley stabbing.
Owner of X Elon Musk called the commissioner the "Australian censorship commissar".
What's next? Government ministers say they expect social media companies to comply with Australian law and protect the community, and are prepared for a fight in court.
Social media giant X (formally known as Twitter) has claimed it could face daily fines of $785,000 if it does not take down content that references the stabbing of Sydney bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel.

Following the attack on Monday night, politicians from across the country repeatedly called on social media companies to take down any content that risked further inflaming rising tensions.

The office of the eSafety commissioner said it had "engaged" with major social media platforms in relation to the resharing and reposting of class one content that depicted "recent violence" in Sydney.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Suranis wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:00 pm https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1779935538490884130
Dexerto @Dexerto

Elon Musk confirms new users will be charged a “small fee” to stop bot activity on X/Twitter

8:11 PM · Apr 15, 2024
BUT... But.... but... doesn't he have such famed AI humanoids :?: Shireley she can be used to counter bot attacks :daydreaming: Or is the inhouse AI competence lacking some well paid members in the development department :think:

:twisted:
Dave from down under

Fight fight fight!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-23/ ... /103757040

The X owner says the footage should stay up because it doesn't breach the company's standards.

Musk also seems to forget that free speech doesn't mean it's free of consequences. Global tech companies might have long been able to influence governments of the day, but it is the law of the land, not his commercial interest, that determines what is legal and what isn't.

For Albanese and the broader Australian political class, this too is about standing up to "the man".

The government sees a political virtue in pushing back against Musk and his platform, which has repeatedly been found to foster a toxic discourse. They've determined that the spreading of a terrorist act is a bridge too far in the public's eyes.

Labor likely sees another use for this scandal. It's been threatening greater action against the social media platforms to curb the spread of misinformation. This unrelated scandal offers cover for advancing new laws against the tech giants.

It's little wonder Meta, knowing the threat it is facing, was so keen to be seen to have followed Inman Grant's orders. (Also, did someone say schadenfreude?).
raison de arizona

Huh. Elmo doesn't typically doesn't have any trouble pulling down things governments don't want. Compare. Contrast.
Under Elon Musk, Twitter has approved 83% of censorship requests by authoritarian governments
The social network has restricted and withdrawn content critical of the ruling parties in Turkey and India, among other countries, including during electoral campaigns

Since Elon Musk acquired Twitter in a tumultuous $44 billion deal completed last October, the social network has turned down very few requests for content restriction or censorship from countries like Turkey and India, which have recently passed laws limiting freedom of speech and the press. Although the billionaire owner of SpaceX and Tesla presents himself as a free speech absolutist, the social network he controls has bowed to hundreds of government orders during his first six months at the helm, according to data provided by the company to a public audit that tracks pressure from governments or judges on online platforms. The most recent example was the blocking of accounts critical of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, two days before the elections held in Turkey last Sunday.

In India, which is immersed in an autocratic drift that for months has been choking the media, journalists and critical voices, Twitter has also seconded government bans. To justify the consent, Musk said: “The rules in India for what can appear on social media are quite strict, and we can’t go beyond the laws of a country,” and in doing so put his staff at risk, he added. “If we have a choice of either our people going to prison or us complying with the laws, we will comply with the laws.” This justification came after Twitter removed content related to a BBC documentary that was highly critical of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, which was blocked in January by the Indian government.
https://english.elpais.com/internationa ... ments.html
raison de arizona

Interesting exit thread from Twitter's former director for civic integrity.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1783 ... e_vignette
Edward Perez @eddie1perez wrote: 1/ Two years ago today, on 4/25/22, Twitter’s Board accepted Elon Musk’s offer to acquire the company at $54.20/share.

As an ex-director for civic integrity at Twitter, I’ve watched what Musk has done since then.

And today is my last post on this platform.

I’m leaving.
🧵>>>

2/ TL;DR: After watching and tweeting dramatically less for the past two years, I’ve decided that (for me) even passive participation on this platform amounts to complicity in Elon Musk’s project of promoting anti-democratic values.

I will not have any part in that.

3/ Musk is a poster child for divisive racist, sexist, and plutocratic tendencies that undermine democracy’s commitment to equality for all.

No amount of hand-waving can hide what Musk is doing.

Destroying Twitter’s value is the tell: It’s not about the money.

It’s worse.
raison de arizona

Huh. Where is Elmo from, anyway?
evan loves worf @esjesjesj wrote: Weird that Elon wouldn't like Nelson Mandela's family. So strange. Wonder why that is. Curious. Hmmmm
Read Let This Radicalize You @JoshuaPHilll wrote: Twitter has suspended Nelson Mandela's grandson, as he's about to set off on the Freedom Flotilla to take aid to Gaza.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”