George Santos (R-NY) and his imaginative (but dishonest) résumé

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:14 am The few talking heads I saw (and maybe written here and there) were calling this election a "toss up."

Just shows how polls are so so wrong. Thank goodness.
They are unreliable.

I recall an on-air commentatory making a comment many years ago about pre-election polling. It was something like "the only poll that matters is on election day"
much ado

Post by much ado »

neonzx wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:28 am
Rolodex wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:14 am The few talking heads I saw (and maybe written here and there) were calling this election a "toss up."

Just shows how polls are so so wrong. Thank goodness.
They are unreliable.

I recall an on-air commentatory making a comment many years ago about pre-election polling. It was something like "the only poll that matters is on election day"
That has been around for a long time. I used the Google Ngram Viewer to search publications for the phrase "the only poll that matters" and found this in 1970.

That is from

Daily Notes (General Election).
Issue 17
By Conservative Party (Great Britain). Research Dept · 1970
Link

So they attributed it to Harry S. Truman.

ETA: Mother Jones seems to confirm this...

How Donald Trump Killed the Biggest Cliché in Politics
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

But the thing is, now we have the rise in fake polling whose only purpose is to skew the aggregate poll sites in the Republican direction.

That is why I'm yawning these days whenever anyone brings up polls on this board.
Hic sunt dracones
much ado

Post by much ado »

Suranis wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:34 am But the thing is, now we have the rise in fake polling whose only purpose is to skew the aggregate poll sites in the Republican direction.

That is why I'm yawning these days whenever anyone brings up polls on this board.
True, but why falsely skew in the Republican direction? That only makes their followers think they are doing better than they are. Does that really help them? It would seem to make Republicans more complacent than they should be and motivate Democrats to donate more and to go to the polls. Is there something in falsely skewing that actually helps them?
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

The junk polls from rogues like Rich Baris and his pals are intended to depress Democratic turnout, but as they saw in 2022, it did not work. They still won't, but they are so desperate for any good news they'll lap them up.

Until survey methodology catches up with technology, polls at best are predictive speculation. The place where they have the most trouble is turnout models. If the turnout is off, the whole poll will be off. I think that's what we saw in NY3. If they're based on historical models, they can be helpful for resource allocation. But we need to work on every race as though we're 10 points behind and leave the "unskewed polls" (remember that madness?) to the MAGAs.

2022 Election Losers.JPG
2022 Election Losers.JPG (52.67 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Belief that they are winning motivates Sturmtruppers
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

keith wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:54 pm I've seen enough.

Welcome to Congress Tom.
Don't hit your beer too early, we have seen in the recent past how the numbers suddenly swing overnight when the voting machines start to flip the votes and the loosing candidate goes phoning for missing votes ;)
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

I think it all comes down to money. If the polls show a race at 55/45, neither side spends. (I had a friend running for Congress and was doing well, however, the R's enticed the old Congressman to come out of retirement and run since the current one was under a criminal investigation, money to my friend immediately stopped coming in, he lost big time, so smart of the D machine, bad for my friend). So, the corporate media wants spending, therefore they want close races. And even if they are not close, they will talk them up as if they are close.
That's why the constant hammering on Biden's age versus the overwhelming amazing amount of crap on TFG.
It's all about the money and profits.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

George Santos puts former congressional colleagues in group chat to call them ‘f***ing idiots’
https://www.semafor.com/article/02/14/2 ... ing-idiots
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Oh dear, did the compulsive liar who thinks everyone else is stupid call everyone else an idiot? I'm sure there was weeping and gnashing of underwear at that circumstance.

I'm sure he apologised for being such a stupid jackass that he forced the republicans to throw his ass out, when they left Matt Gaetz in. So it was kinda his responsibility too.
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Santos hits Kimmel with suit over alleged misuse of Cameo videos, claiming ‘fraud’

https://thehill.com/homenews/4474792-sa ... press.coop
The former New York congressman filed the lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, suing the late-night television host for fraud, breach of contract, unjust enrichment and copyright infringement. ABC and Disney were both also named as defendants in the lawsuit.

Kimmel requested at least 14 videos from Santos on Cameo, a video-sharing website where celebrities sell personalized videos.

Kimmel submitted requests by giving “phony names and narratives.” Those requests were sent from “fake User profiles” made by Kimmel as part of a “fraud,” according to the lawsuit.

The late-night show “falsely represented” himself as multiple users when requesting Santos’ Cameos, according to the lawsuit which was first reported by The New York Post. Santos is seeking at least $750,000 in damages.

“Kimmel chose the personal use licenses for all the Cameo Videos with the intention to violate such licenses by broadcasting and commercially exploiting the Cameo Videos on national television,” according to the filing.

Santos’s Cameo videos were first featured on “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” in December, according to the lawsuit. It also says that Kimmel joked about being sued by Santos during a Dec. 11 episode of his late-night show.

“Could you imagine if I get sued by George Santos for a fraud,” Kimmel said at the time. “I mean how good would that be? It would be like a dream come true. So since I started buying his videos his rates went way up to $500 a piece. He should be thanking me for buying these videos.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Indicted Serial Liar George Santos Announces New Run for Congress During State of the Union

https://www.thedailybeast.com/indicted- ... etter%20PM
In typically dramatic fashion, Santos announced his run while President Joe Biden delivered his State of the Union speech.

Three months after former Rep. George Santos’ colleagues expelled him for a staggering array of alleged crimes and ethical violations, he has apparently decided that man cannot live by Cameo alone—and he wants his job back.

At least, Santos is officially running for Congress again, allowing him to raise money from the public and, potentially, spend it on his legal defense.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

I understand that CO-3 and CO-4 are up for a grab :twisted:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The NY 1st Congressional District includes the North Fork. :mad:

George Santos Seeks LaLota's Congressional Seat; Will Primary In June

https://patch.com/new-york/northfork/s/ ... cb4d8b4d76
Santos announced another run for Congress, this time representing the 1st District, where he plans to primary Republican incumbent Rep. Nick LaLota in June.

"After a lot of prayer and conversation with my friends and family, I have made a very important decision that will shake things up," Santos wrote on X. "Tonight, I want to announce that I will be returning to the arena of politics and challenging Nick for the battle over #NY1. I look forward to debating him on the issues and on his weak record as a Republican."

Santos begins the new campaign as his legal troubles are on the horizon.

He was charged with more than 20 counts including conspiracy, wire fraud, false statements, falsification of records and credit card fraud. Santos has pleaded not guilty.

A tentative trial date in federal court in Central Islip is slated for September, or two months before a potential general election for Santos. But he would have to defeat LaLota first.

"To raise the standard in Congress, and to hold a pathological liar who stole an election accountable, I led the charge to expel George Santos," he wrote on X. "If finishing the job requires beating him in a primary, count me in."

One of the 1st District challengers on the Democratic side is Nancy Goroff, a scientist, teacher and community leader from Suffolk County.

"This would be funny if it weren’t so serious to see George Santos and Nick LaLota fight to see who is more extreme," she said in a statement. "The reality is that both oppose a woman’s right to choose, have failed to lower costs for families, and care more about publicity than getting things done for Long Island families. Not to mention that neither actually lives in the district."

:snippity:

Santos' filing on March 7 with the Federal Election Commission shows his address as Alpharetta, Georgia.
bob

Post by bob »

Santos announced another run for Congress, this time representing the 1st District, where he plans to primary Republican incumbent Rep. Nick LaLota in June.
NY-1 is basically the eastern half of Long Island (and to the east of NY-3).

It is R+3 (but hasn't elected a Democrat since 2012).

LaLota, the incumbent, was elected only in 2022. LaLota was the first Republican to call on the House to investigate Santos, so this smells like payback.

I would guess that Santos can't unseat LaLota; but if Santos did, the general will be highly contested.
Image ImageImage
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

George Santos Says He Is Done With the G.O.P. (The Feeling Is Mutual.)
Mr. Santos said he would no longer seek the Republican line in a House race on Long Island, and planned to run as an independent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/22/nyre ... ndent.html
Mr. Santos made the announcement on Friday, after House Republicans made a deal with Democrats to avert a government shutdown, enraging far-right party members.

“The Republican Party continues to lie and swindle its voter base,” Mr. Santos, who has been charged with stealing from campaign donors, said in a post on X. “I, in good conscience, cannot affiliate myself with a party that stands for nothing and falls for everything.”

His declaration could, in theory, have an effect on the House race in the First Congressional District on eastern Long Island, where Mr. Santos had intended to mount a primary challenge against Representative Nick LaLota, a Republican and one of Mr. Santos’s fiercest critics in the House.

There has been little evidence that Mr. Santos had done much campaign work or fund-raising for the contest. Nevertheless, he said he would stay in the race and take his “Ultra MAGA/Trump supporting values to the ballot in November as an independent.”

If he does so, he could potentially draw some votes away from Mr. LaLota, which would benefit the undetermined Democratic candidate in a district that Donald J. Trump won by just under 2 points in 2020.

Even so, neither Mr. LaLota nor Jesse Garcia, the Suffolk County Republican Party chairman, seemed particularly concerned by Mr. Santos’s threat.

“George Santos is irrelevant to the electoral process,” Mr. Garcia said upon hearing the news, adding that the announcement was nothing more than a ploy for attention.

Mr. LaLota said in a statement that just as Mr. Santos’s expulsion had been good for the nation, his resignation from the Republican Party was good for “common-sense conservatives.”
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

This is as the kids say AWESOME.
The Republican Party continues to lie and swindle its voter base,” Mr. Santos, who has been charged with stealing from campaign donors, said in a post on X. “I, in good conscience, cannot affiliate myself with a party that stands for nothing and falls for everything.”
Convince me this isn't performance art of a kind.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:47 pm This is as the kids say AWESOME.
The Republican Party continues to lie and swindle its voter base,” Mr. Santos, who has been charged with stealing from campaign donors, said in a post on X. “I, in good conscience, cannot affiliate myself with a party that stands for nothing and falls for everything.”
Theater of The Absurd.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

noblepa wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:34 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:47 pm This is as the kids say AWESOME.
Theater of The Absurd.
More like DADA
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
raison de arizona

https://x.com/MrSantosNY/status/1778853496667668663
George Santos @MrSantosNY wrote: Today I would have showed up to work and voted unlike 13 members who didn’t bother.

And I would have voted Aye on the @RepThomasMassie amendment.

Funny enough Republicans who voted against the amendment coincidentally also voted to expel me… see why now?

These people HATE America and the constitution!

#FISA
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

https://x.com/MrSantosNY/status/1780392949542539725
George Santos @MrSantosNY wrote: Based on the amount of time Trump will spend in NY and the fact that the immigration crisis derived from the open border crisis has New Yorkers pissed…

If I were the dems I’d worry about NY come November…

Trump is back on the concrete jungle streets and people will be reminded he’s just like them and has walked in their shoes…

This sets up a perfect storm for a potential upset in the Empire State.

#TrumpTrial
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

he’s just like them and has walked in their shoes…

:doh: :rotflmao: :doh: :rotflmao: :doh: :cantlook:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:51 pm ......and has walked in their shoes…

After he stole them?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:54 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:51 pm ......and has walked in their shoes…

After he stole them?
And then made them buy the shoes back from him at inflated prices.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Cross post from Roger Stone.

Now, it might seem like a long shot, but I'm doing my best to promote this so please jump in to support: #TrumpSantos2024 :dance:

My bromance with Roger Stone continues (see Laura Loomer topic). Roger is now following me on X and we're pals. :lol:

Roger Stone @RogerJStoneJr
Who should Trump pick for Vice President?
2:15 AM · Apr 17, 2024

Luke Johnson 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious 1m
My vote is for you, Roger. You know what it takes to win. But if not, Devin Nunes. Matt Gaetz or Mike Flynn. Saw this about George Santos but he seems a little risky.

Trump Santos.JPG
Trump Santos.JPG (246.35 KiB) Viewed 201 times

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg

Return to “Current Politics”