Bill_G, retired, affluence of effluent, and errata

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Music for the evening - Blink 182 - I Miss You.

A note from my probate lawyer: We're done. Not even 90 days, and I'm through probate. Woohoo! That deserves some kind of celebration. I treated myself to some Love Teriyaki. By far my favorite teriyaki place. And good thing. The power went out a bit after I got home. Big Winds from the southwest are coming in, and we have branches down all over the place. So, I ate an early dinner while it was still warm.

Then I rustled up our candles and flashlights. Some of my efforts wading through her stuff was sorting it. All of this was in bags and/or boxes where you couldn't find it. So, she bought some more, and then some more. Clearing the shelves of post dated food made room for a tray of candles, flashlights, and battery packs. !! Whoa ... whaaa? Well damn. Look at that. I get to break it in so soon. Votive candles in jelly jars cast a warm glow. The megabright LED camp lamp does what it says (ouch). The mini flashlights are distributed to key locations. We are all about counquering the darkness.

I checked on a couple neighbors to see if they were candle cool too, and in fact they were. That's good to know. Looped down to the mailbox, and arrived in time to fetch today's mail as the postman drove off. It's all poli-crap except for one from Kaiser. Most of it was round filed before it came in the house. And surprise surprise we have power again. Well shoot. This little adventure ended before it began. There will be no anticipation of a quiet night.

Pooper Scoopers
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Our company patriarch, and my friend for the last 40 years, passed away yesterday at 94. RIP Duane.
20240321 avi Duane.jpg
20240321 avi Duane.jpg (5.33 KiB) Viewed 488 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm so sorry. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:26 pm I'm so sorry. :bighug:
Thank you. It was a long time coming. His body betrayed him a few years ago. It's a blessing for him and his family.

Here is the image progression from a fishing trip photo to the final drawing.
20240321_Duane image progession.jpg
20240321_Duane image progession.jpg (247.37 KiB) Viewed 482 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:( :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:12 pm:( :bighug:
He and his wife left a good legacy. They have three kids, eight grandkids, eighteen great grands, and so far one great-greatgrand. Every grandkid and several of the greats were my pet sherpa protege for at least one summer. They learned the business hands-on. Several continue to work for us, and many struck out on their own.

It was not unusual for my first task of the day to be a visit to their condo to look at a leaky faucet, a jammed closet door, a dead outlet, the ice maker, etc, and then call the right people to fix it. I drove them to doctor appointments, physical therapy, outpatient surgery, as well as trips through Oregon wine country, and salmon fishing. They never acted entitled. They were grateful for my help, and I was grateful for their trust. I was always glad to be there.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

My black suit is getting a workout this year.

Time to get ready.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

The Duane's Celebration of Life went well. A lot of people attended. It was held at the Waverley Country Club. In his day, Duane loved to golf, and the family are all members at Waverley. The course is listed on the PGA. It gets it's share of tour visits (according to my LPGA champion neighbor). The club is very private [emphasis on VERY]. So, I was surprised it was held there.

The Service was nice. I've never heard a pastor invoke Lazarus in a eulogy, but he tried. Duane's in an urn. No one was expecting a miracle. Open bar, and a slendid buffet after. Lots of catching up with family I haven't seen in decades, and well as colleagues from across five states. Lots of family friends too. Some I've met. Most I haven't. There were even some people I was surprised to see. I thought they were persona non grata, but I kept my mouth shut. I know better.

It's been over fifteen years since I've been there. We built and maintained their telephone system, the internet, the security system, the gate controls, the irrigation controls, the cameras, the satellite TV, the wall of screens in the lounge, and a number of other electron munching things. You had to arrive for service calls by 6AM, and be out of there by 10AM. That all stopped around 2008 with no reason given, and I didn't press the issue. Water under the bridge.

I fainted last week. We had some nice weather. I overdid it in the garden tilling, weeding, raking, trimming, etc. Came in for lunch, took a couple bites, and was fighting for conciousness. I spit out my lunch, tried to rinse, tried to stand up, tried to get to a phone, woke up on the floor. Rolled over, and practiced mindfullness to regain focus and clarity. I was able to sit up, and then stand up, and then start taking vitals. SpO2 good. Heart rate good. Blood pressure totally normal. Temp perfect. No numbness. No slurred speech. Symmetrical facial movement. Finger and leg dexterity normal. Took some aspirin, downed a few ounces of water, and took a nap. Reported it to the doc yesterday during my annual physical. We'll file this under WTFK, and move on. Doc said I should look into getting one of those senior alert things. I'm way ahead of her, but haven't made a decision yet.

The state tax refund came in. Woohoo. It's like getting a double pension this month. No plans to spend it yet. I'm still thinking about visiting Newfies this year. We'll see.

The famdamnly is coming to town today through the weekend. Getting to see nephews, grands, and great grands I haven't seen since before Covid, and some new inlaws I've never met. I have the tee shirts ready. Plenty to hand out. Should be a good time. I'll have to stay on top of my weed and wine consumption. I did find some mild indica to share.
► Show Spoiler

I've got house cleaning to do today. Gotta dig out some of Mrs' stuff I've giving away. Put out the garbage. Get some grocery shopping done. And check in with the kids.

Onward!
BeastofBourbon

Post by BeastofBourbon »

That's scary, Bill. I'm glad you didn't sustain any injuries. I passed out without warning and for no apparent reason when I was in my twenties at the Saratoga Race Track. Doctors couldn't find a cause, and it hasn't happened since, but really puzzling.

I'm glad you're having a long overdue family reunion this weekend. It sounds like fun, but don't wear yourself out.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I've had it happen twice, but know why. Once, in the hospital, after surgery. They gave me smelling salts, and I was fine. The second time at home by myself. I had been in the ER the night before with an ear infection and ruptured ear drum. I can remember the sensation, a loud sound (probably my head hitting the bathroom floor or wall as I fell), But I had no idea when I woke up how long I was out. Weird both times, but not an unknown cause.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I recall as I was going down, I told myself "this is happening - let's have a soft landing".
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

I’m a fainter. :faint: I’ve fainted on a school field trip, in the shower, on the toilet while having a colitis attack, in Macy’s, at the vet, after giving blood. People tend to panic. Except at the Red Cross: they’re used to people getting light-headed and/or fainting.

After years of this, I can tell it’s coming on when the black dots start on the edges of my eyes and my arms get clammy. Then I race to lie down and the dots go away. If I don’t lie down, everything goes away and I wake on my back with people staring down at me. :faint:

I’ve come close while walking across a field, making soup, on the subway, in stores, lots of time. Since I fainted in public, I’ve been to hospitals 3 times. Many tests. Nothing. At 16, the EMTs first thought was pregnancy. At 35, blood sugar. At 60, low blood pressure. Except it wasn’t any of those. :bored:

I told this to my grandfather once. He said I get it from my grandmother. She was a fainter too. She once fainted in church. “ :oldlady:, you pick the darndest times to do that.” :faint:
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I am also a fainter as was my Mom and is my twin. Mine is attributed to neurocardiogenic syncope now called vasovagal syncope. It scares the hell out of people. I have a warning also and must lie down.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Whatever4 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 pm I’m a fainter. :faint: I’ve fainted on a school field trip, in the shower, on the toilet while having a colitis attack, in Macy’s, at the vet, after giving blood. People tend to panic. Except at the Red Cross: they’re used to people getting light-headed and/or fainting.

After years of this, I can tell it’s coming on when the black dots start on the edges of my eyes and my arms get clammy. Then I race to lie down and the dots go away. If I don’t lie down, everything goes away and I wake on my back with people staring down at me. :faint:

I’ve come close while walking across a field, making soup, on the subway, in stores, lots of time. Since I fainted in public, I’ve been to hospitals 3 times. Many tests. Nothing. At 16, the EMTs first thought was pregnancy. At 35, blood sugar. At 60, low blood pressure. Except it wasn’t any of those. :bored:

I told this to my grandfather once. He said I get it from my grandmother. She was a fainter too. She once fainted in church. “ :oldlady:, you pick the darndest times to do that.” :faint:

Sounds like vasovagal syncope, which I've had since i was fifteen. The places around the world where I've had to hit the deck....
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 pm
Sounds like vasovagal syncope, which I've had since i was fifteen. The places around the world where I've had to hit the deck....
Bingo! :faint:
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Vasovagal Syncope (vay-sew-VAY-gal SINK-o-pee)

Good morning. That was interesting reading. Thank you.

The doctor was mystified when I described the event to her, and warned me to call the desk nurse the next time it happened ... if it happens again. But, she was also mystified by alpha gal testing (as recommended by Maybenaut). She had never heard of it before. Perhaps she will be doing some studying of her own.

Reading about known causes and triggers included standing for long periods, heat exposure, and straining. Well, I had just spent the morning doing the most physical work I've done in several months. Maybe even a year. When I climbed Council Crest several weeks ago, I anticipated it. I paced myself. When I had this fainting spell, I had spent the morning taking care of yard work that had accumulated for a couple years including moving the compost pile, tilling the whole veggie bed, and raking it out.

The compost pile is about a half yard of material - around a thousand pounds. It's been collected over the last year. I basically flip it over. New stuff on the bottom, old stuff on the top. One pitchfork at a time. Until it's done. Start a fresh pile where this one used to be. Now I can pull from this finish pile as I need fresh dirt or make tea to water with. Birds and critters love the finishing pile. All kinds of wiggly food in there for them. They will spread it out and flatten it left to their own devices. I restack every week, and maybe water it. The Zen of compost is to be one with nothing. So, it dwindles down a molecule at a time. While it does I get some exercise caring for it, and spreading it around.

I'm not Superman anymore.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

House clean enough. The kids decided it best everyone converge on their house instead. Moar room, and weather is supposed to cooperate. That means BBQ. Fine by me. I'll pack it all in the truck and haul it over. Once it leaves my house, it's gone. (big smile)

They gave me a shopping list of chips, beer, swiss cheese, and provolone. I suspect that means boychild is making his French Dips from something he smoked all day. He does pretty good at that. He hated school. He hated the service. Never went to college. Never found a job he really got into. Then he became an amateur botanist growing killer weed in his garage, an insane hyper-precise OCD weed farmer, made a stupid lotta money, bought a big ass house, built a deck that can party 30 comfortably, and taught himself how to be a pitmaster. God Bless America!

So, I got my shopping done. Safeway had everything I needed on sale. Plus they had bone-in ribeye roasts on sale for Easter weekend for $5.99lb. I bought an eight pounder. Considering inviting neighbors over for Sunday Dinner, not necessarily Easter Dinner. The golf pro ladies next door are not church people. I know they'll eat a rib roast, veggies, and a salad. The new neighbors are Islamic. Nice couple. They are in the middle of Ramadan, and are fasting until after sundown which is 7:30ish around here. I know this because I invited them over last weekend. I'll check in with them to see if they are interested.

OR!

I could feeze it and wait for another weekend.

OR!

I could invite the Russians instead. They are non-practicing from fundie families. They know the holiday, and definitely eat. They take my perogis every time I offer them.

Okay. Moving onward ...
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Sounds like a great weekend. Take care of yourself.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
BeastofBourbon

Post by BeastofBourbon »

You make your own pierogis, Bill? DH and I just watched an episode of How It's Made about pierogis. Without the automation, it looks like a multi-person endeavor to do at home. Thank goodness for Mrs. T's.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”