Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

To my dying day I don't think I will never understand racism. I was born in 1957 at Walter Reed, raised in base housing as a military brat and went to a military elementary school with all the other military brats. I never personally knew anything about racism until I got to Middle school and I was shocked beyond words. I grew up on a street with pretty much every combination of races and ethnicities you can think of. We were housed by rank, not race and I’m here to tell you we had some awesome moms in our neighborhood who could dole out some REALLY good snacks!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My grandkids live in the middle of the city. They are minorities in school and their own neighborhood (not far from their schools) is more White, but definitely mixed. They don't give it a thought. A mixed Black/Spanish family just moved in next door. He's thrilled to have kids his age next door.

When my granddaughter was a baby, she was put in the closest good daycare to her mother's office. She was the only White kid there. We got a kick out of the fact that as long as she was in there (four years), she spoke with a bit of a Black accent.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Ruby Bridges: Racism Is A Grown-up Disease. Let’s Stop Using Our Kids To Spread It.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
23 Jan 2024 #ö

Author, civil rights activist and icon of American history Ruby Bridges shares personal details about her incredible act of bravery as a six year-old, and reminds us that children aren’t born with prejudice and hatred, they learn it from adults. Ruby's new book, "Dear Ruby, Hear Our Hearts," is available now
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Why can’t white America leave Black children’s hair alone?
A Texas school is punishing a teenager for wearing his hair in neat locs. How is this still happening in 2024?

Tayo Bero
Tue 30 Jan 2024 12.01 CET

A Texas court is set to decide next month if one of its school districts can continue to punish a Black teenager for refusing to cut his locs.

Since last August, 18-year-old Darryl George has been kept out of his regular classroom at Barbers Hill high school in Mont Belvieu while he served in-school suspension and faced other disciplinary action because of his hair.

According to CNN, the Barbers Hill independent school district forbids male students from wearing their hair in a style “that would allow the hair to extend below the top of a t-shirt collar, below the eyebrows, or below the ear lobes when let down”. George’s long dreadlocks, which he keeps woven together in a protective style on top of his head, supposedly violates that dress code.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... rimination
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

My (Yeti) brother's significant other, Dr. J, is a black woman who has had her hair in dreds forever. The number of white people, absolute strangers, who will come up to her and try to touch her hair without asking, or even saying a word, is amazing to me. This has happened to her all over the U.S. and Europe, even in academic settings. (She's currently a lecturer at Stanford, has been an adjunct professor at UCSF, Davis, & Berkeley, and a visiting professor at a couple different universities in Germany)

There seems to be this unconscious mindset amongst otherwise fairly normal wypipo that black people are objects. Almost like they're ⅗ of a person or something.

Because they're awesome, here's a pic of the Yeti & Dr. J being awesome.
Yeti_and_DrJ.jpg
Yeti_and_DrJ.jpg (119.93 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
Image Image Image Image
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Wow! The life that radiates from that awesome couple is wonderful.

Makes my damn day. :heart: :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I really don't understand the issue with braids (yes, I know, racism but I still don't understand them). I have even heard "needs to be natural" used, and yet, while I look at their teammates/fellow cheerleaders, I see a bunch who have bleached their natural color or spent a fortune on highlights (my "white" highlights are slowly coming in naturally).

The hypocrisy is amazing. I would much rather work with what they call "uppity blacks" than a roomful of entitled whites.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

compare the whitness

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The issue is that in their narrow worldview girls wear long hair (and maybe braids) but boys only wear short hair.

To paraphrase G.B. Shaw- They are barbarians and think that the customs of their tribe are the laws of nature.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:54 pm The issue is that in their narrow worldview girls wear long hair (and maybe braids) but boys only wear short hair.

To paraphrase G.B. Shaw- They are barbarians and think that the customs of their tribe are the laws of nature.
I get that this is being framed as a culture thing, but I struggle with that. If it was some white kid with a mullet… The same thing would happen to him. It’s really a Boys With Long Hair thing.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I'll take the counterpoint on white boys with mullets.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

The superintendent issue was with a boy's hair, but WOC wearing braids has been an ongoing issue for some folks as well including Northwestern University's softball team.

I myself never had anything close to a mullet. No never. Truly.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:54 pm The Crown Act? Never heard of it.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the- ... -in-texas/
Great article, totally forgot about that. Looks like it may slip through this loophole though:
In Texas, the CROWN Act left loopholes allowing bans on hair longer than two inches, which explicitly singles out and prohibits natural Black hairstyles like afros and dreadlocks on male students. By failing to bar restrictive policies on length and color, Texas’ version of the CROWN Act falls short of fully preventing race-based hair discrimination.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:07 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:54 pm The Crown Act? Never heard of it.

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the- ... -in-texas/
Great article, totally forgot about that. Looks like it may slip through this loophole though:
In Texas, the CROWN Act left loopholes allowing bans on hair longer than two inches, which explicitly singles out and prohibits natural Black hairstyles like afros and dreadlocks on male students. By failing to bar restrictive policies on length and color, Texas’ version of the CROWN Act falls short of fully preventing race-based hair discrimination.
Oddly enough, your previous comment about mullets reminded me of it. The argument all along has been that the rules are written to specifically exclude Black hairstyles and the mullets just got caught in the middle. Fortunately for the white guys, mullets were out of style by the time the Crown act was passed.
raison de arizona

They're just...openly racist. Nothing is taboo anymore, they are emboldened to just let their racism show.
► Show Spoiler
Jeremy Carl @realJeremyCarl wrote: 🧵

1/

#FanniWillis went to Emory School of Law, where the average LSAT this year was 168.

In her graduation year, approximately 14 African American women in the entire country scored over 170 on the LSAT. [emphasis in original]

And you can be sure they all went to Harvard and Yale, not Emory.

2/

Fanni Willis is what happens when affirmative action mediocrities are promoted far above their abilities.

Corruption and incompetence reign.

3/

As I documented (and @TuckerCarlson cited), of the first 97 Federal Judges confirmed by Biden, we had 22 black women and only five white men.

If you don't like DA Fanni Willis, wait until you see the Fanni Willis federal judiciary.
Acyn @Acyn wrote: Tucker: Out of 97 federal judges confirmed under Joe Biden, total number of white men.. five. Twenty two are Black women.
4/ I write about Biden's racist judicial appointments and the long-term consequences of them, in my forthcoming book, The Unprotected Class: How Anti-White Racism is Tearing America Apart- out in April and available now for pre-order.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Texas

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

As many of you saw, yesterday two police officers and a firefighter were killed in Burnsville, MN. That's the Minneapolis suburb just south of my suburb. The local NextDoor site is usually pretty good here, but last night someone posted, upset that the authorities hadn't released a picture of the suspect. Well, dang. You know exactly why they wanted to see what he looked like. So I pointed out the of course you needed to see a photo... how else could you superficially judge him? Most other posters were also pushing back on the original poster and I noticed that that thread no longer existed this morning. Thank goodness.

Of course you can find out all about the suspect on Twitter. Unfortunately, domestic violence doesn't respect wealth or color of skin. Domestic violence can occur anywhere at any time. Personally, I blame the abundance of guns for the loss of life in this case.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

the guy in question made news in 2021
UPDATE: Bigot Sentenced 8 Years For Harassing Black Neighbor

Indisputable with Dr. Rashad Riche
12 Dec 2023

Edward C. Matthews, 47, was sentenced to eight years in prison after unleashing a racist rant against his Black neighbor in New Jersey. Dr. Rashad Richey and Rickey Smiley discuss on Indisputable.
raison de arizona

https://x.com/LaurenWitzkeDE/status/176 ... 41816?s=20
Lauren Witzke @LaurenWitzkeDE wrote: A United Boeing 737 MAX suffers gear collapse after landing in Houston, Texas.

This is the THIRD plane this WEEK.

In 2020, Boeing announced that they would make hiring non-Whites the forefront of their company, even going to the extent of onboarding a “racial equality” committee board.

Airports are hiring / contracting diversity workers to run and manage safety inspections, and in one week they’ve had 3 inspection failures that could have resulted in hundreds of deaths.

These cases of neglect and laziness should be criminally charged as attempted manslaughter.
raison de arizona

The Daily Show @TheDailyShow wrote: America is not sending its best to Eagle Pass, Texas.
@michaelkosta
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Our now-weary bodies have held on’: 109-year-old Tulsa massacre survivors get day in court
Lessie Benningfield Randle and Viola Fletcher are asking the state supreme court to allow their historic lawsuit to proceed

Ed Pilkington in Oklahoma City
Wed 3 Apr 2024 14.02 CEST

The two remaining survivors of the 1921 Tulsa race massacre, thought to be the worst single act of white supremacist violence against African Americans in US history, attended a momentous hearing on Tuesday. The supreme court of Oklahoma considered an appeal in what is almost certainly the women’s final shot at reparative justice.

Lessie Benningfield Randle, dressed all in black, and Viola Fletcher, huddled under a mauve woollen blanket, listened intently as lawyers engaged in technical legal arguments for almost two hours. It was no small feat, given that both women are 109.

Mother Randle and Mother Fletcher, as they are known, were just children on 31 May 1921, when over a period of 24 hours, about 300 Black Tulsans were murdered by a rampaging white mob.

Forty blocks of the Greenwood neighborhood – so thriving at the time that it was dubbed Black Wall Street – were bombed from the air and razed to the ground.

More than 100 lawsuits have been filed over the years since then, seeking redress for the terrible events, which left 9,000 Black residents homeless and drove an entire community into destitution. But not one survivor has ever had their day in court until now.

In a joint statement before the proceedings began, Randle and Fletcher said that they were grateful that their “now-weary bodies have held on long enough to witness an America, and an Oklahoma, that provides race massacre survivors with the opportunity to access the legal system”.

They added: “Many have come before us who have knocked and banged on the courthouse doors, only to be turned around.”

The case, which was launched almost four years ago, calls for land and property that was destroyed or stolen to be returned to survivors and their descendants. It has been drawn out for so long that it has come too late for its third plaintiff, Fletcher’s younger brother Hughes Van Ellis, who died last October, aged 102.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... n-oklahoma
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

My friend is a travel nurse, and about a month ago she took a contract at a hospital in Hazard, KY, population <5000, <1.5% Black. She showed up for her 3 month contract and they saw she was Black. She shadowed another nurse for two 6 hour shifts and was sent home on the third day. It took them a couple of days to come up with a reason to break her contract, but she's now back home. Her forays to the grocery and just riding around checking out the town resulted in stares from children and adults, shitty looks from everyone, and some unconscionable comments from random residents. She's been a nurse for 30 years, ER, ICU, CCU and everything in-between experience, and they let her go because they "didn't think she could catch on fast enough" because of the "fast-paced environment" of floor care in this rural, redneck, racist hospital.

Fuck those people.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Sickening.

More than sickening that the current way of dealing with inequities is to pretend they don't exist.

cf MAGA.

Return to “Current Politics”