Patagoniagirl

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
much ado

Patagoniagirl

Post by much ado »

So sorry to hear this.
sad-cafe

Patagoniagirl

Post by sad-cafe »

oh no

RIP
MN-Skeptic

Patagoniagirl

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I remember first becoming aware of Patagoniagirl's posting back on the OldFogbow. As someone who could not imagine traveling to the places she had lived, she seemed so adventuresome to me. And then I felt so, so bad for her when her son was in a terrible car accident and when she shared her Mister's final months. I looked back, and it will be eight years tomorrow that her Mister passed away.

I will miss her postings. :brokenheart:
Kendra

Patagoniagirl

Post by Kendra »

RIP.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Patagoniagirl

Post by raison de arizona »

She will be missed. :crying:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Whatever4

Patagoniagirl

Post by Whatever4 »

I spoke with her son Chris today. He said PG loved Fogbow and the boogle and spoke of us many times.

PG was born in Germany as a military brat. She joined the Michigan National Guard as a clerk and hated it, but subsequently joined the army and chose Germany as her posting. They assigned her to tank turret repair. Both sons were born in Germany, and Chris went on to join the military himself.

She met the love of her life Greg as a paralegal to his lawyer. Greg was a hot-shot attorney who made some case law in Florida before the wanderlust took hold of them. PG did most of the work behind the scenes, sending him off to court with a packet of papers and files and saying “now take this and kick some butt.”

She often posted on Fogbow about their time in Costa Rica, then Patagonia, then Panama, and finally back to the US (Florida) when The Mister, as she called Greg, got sick. His death 8 years ago was a blow she never seemed to recover from. She ended moving to Ohio to take care of her father and Aunt.

She was an artist in many media and played several instruments including piano and guitar. Her ashes will be split up, with part of them made into glass sculptures by one of her artist friends (for her sons), and the rest going to Florida to be united with Greg.

On Wednesday, she passed away peacefully at the hospice center that she had moved to.

That pretty dry recitation of her life feels far too inadequate to describe the colorful feisty dynamic woman we knew and loved here on The Fogbow and IRL.

I last spoke to her in December. Someone noticed she had put up a listing on Facebook Marketplace looking for a quilt made with Ohio blocks. I contacted her and she thought she had only 6 months left. She was at peace with the situation and wanted no pity. She sent some pictures that looked completely different from the vibrant woman we met at the Baltimore Meetup: she had seemingly aged 50 years.
Hey Mizz W4. Yeah. Seems shitty at first, but having a timeframe to work with is the only thing I have some control over. You know, that shit we all put off.

I only found out early this year that I had developed Cirrhosis. Then, in August, it blew up. So, it seems to have progressed quickly. I wonder why this is so ... Well, it is what it is, and I am more sad about what I can seem to do anything - stuff I like. I'm actually just fucking tired.

Thanks for checking in. I love you all.
So Godspeed, PatagoniaGirl. We loved the time we spent knowing you. I think Verbalobe captured all the feels exactly.
I learned a friend passed.
Her absence fits a unique
pattern as would anyone's.
The exact online forum where
we met, the two or three times
in person, the facebook glimpses
that grew more tenuous though
one thing was always clear: how
much she missed her own departed
love. Their life together had broken
every mold, camping for months
maybe years in the high Andes,
living love and loving life in a way
I doubt I could describe and tried
not to covet overmuch. But he
had gone not long before I
met my friend. I place scant
stock in spirits and afterlives
but if someone suggested my
friend and her soulmate are
reunited I'd be the last to
argue.
So Godspeed, PatagoniaGirl. We loved the time we spent knowing you. We’ll miss you and celebrate that in this random world, our lives entwined for an all-to-brief sojourn. :brokenheart:
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Patagoniagirl

Post by raison de arizona »

I like the glass sculpture thing, what a great idea.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Whatever4

Patagoniagirl

Post by Whatever4 »

BTW - Chris says he and his mom shared politics. He is currently wearing this t-shirt, which I’m sure PG approved of.
IMG_2817.jpeg
IMG_2817.jpeg (51.35 KiB) Viewed 392 times
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Patagoniagirl

Post by northland10 »

:crying:
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Patagoniagirl

Post by AndyinPA »

Thank you for posting this, W4. She always seemed like someone you would be privileged to know.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Patagoniagirl

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug: :brokenheart:
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Patagoniagirl

Post by Reality Check »

Thanks W4 for posting that. I didn't interact with her very much here but I wish now I had. She will be missed. :grouphug:
Fiascoist

Patagoniagirl

Post by Fiascoist »

:yeahthat: what a fascinating life and what great adventures she had. I wish her well in the next dimension, where ever it is.
realist

Patagoniagirl

Post by realist »

:W4" wrote: I contacted her and she thought she had only 6 months left. She was at peace with the situation and wanted no pity. She sent some pictures that looked completely different from the vibrant woman we met at the Baltimore Meetup: she had seemingly aged 50 years.
Seems we last spoke to her at about the same time. And I agree about the pics. If I had not known who they were I'm not sure I would have recognized her, but she was at peace with the entire situation.

I remember speaking to her as she was going through the medical tests and then the diagnosis. It was simply matter of fact with her, it is what it is.

It is true she never "got over" the death of her Mister. She wrote some beautiful prose about him and about their time together.

When my Mia passed away she was extremely helpful to me. We spoke at least twice a week for a year or so. Then periodically after that.

She and Mia shared a "special event" at the Baltimore meetup (which I won't go into here) but Mia and I and she and Mia spoke about it (and sometimes laughed about it) until Mia's passing and then PG and I would speak about it on occasion.

She indeed was a special and talented lady. She will definitely be missed.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Patagoniagirl

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Patagoniagirl

Post by bill_g »

Good eulogies W4 and realist. Thank you.
pipistrelle

Patagoniagirl

Post by pipistrelle »

:grouphug:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Patagoniagirl

Post by Foggy »

For some reason, I have been avoiding the forum for a few days. And now I know why. :(

Her death is a loss to the world, imho. Her flame will burn bright in the hearts of those who knew her.

I am terribly sad today. :cry:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Patagoniagirl

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:grouphug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”