Florida Man

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Florida Man

Post by keith »

I understand that labor force statisticians consider 3% unemployed to be 'full employment'.

It means that the available for work candidate pool is so small that you are not likely to find a suitable candidate to hire when you want to hire somebody - and when you do find someone you'll likely have to pay them more than you want to.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Suranis

Florida Man

Post by Suranis »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66733230

Florida man arrested after trying to cross Atlantic in hamster wheel vessel

Maritime Law applied!

For details on his previous attempt in 2021 - which wound up with him washed ashore 30 miles south of this departure position - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57983648
Hic sunt dracones
Gregg

Florida Man

Post by Gregg »

Suranis wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:01 pm https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66733230

Maritime Law applied!

For details on his previous attempt in 2021 - which wound up with him washed ashore 30 miles south of this departure position - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57983648
Sometimes I think they need to just let Darwin handle things.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Florida Man

Post by Maybenaut »

Suranis wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:01 pm https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66733230

Maritime Law applied!
From the article:
"My goal is to not only raise money for homeless people, raise money for the Coast Guard, raise money for the police department, raise money for the fire department," he told WOFL-TV in Orlando in 2021.
The Coast Guard spent way more money trying to keep this nimrod from dying than he could have ever raised for it. What an asshole.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Florida Man

Post by Foggy »

Feel the hamster, be the hamster. Wooooo. :doh:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Florida Man

Post by raison de arizona »

Matt Devitt @MattDevittWX wrote: #Florida man spotted boating with a half semi-truck, half pontoon recently in Big Pine Key. Doesn't get more Florida than that. Credit: Michael Yatsuk @WINKNews
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Florida Man

Post by p0rtia »

:faint:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Florida Man

Post by Slim Cognito »

Sadly, no.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Florida Man

Post by northland10 »

It looks like a thought-out build, which seems a little un-Florida Man. While not something I would do, I give em points for creativity in combining the shell of the tractor with an extended pontoon boat. There is the issue that the cab tends to block the view, so you have to be there to steer and not hit stuff.

I hope he found a way to horn functional.
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

Florida Man

Post by pipistrelle »

No Trump flag visible.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Florida Man

Post by Ben-Prime »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:35 pm No Trump flag visible.
The dangling truck-ticles must be under the waterline, too.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
sugar magnolia

Florida Man

Post by sugar magnolia »

There's a guy who lives on a "boat" in lake Maurepas, and has been there for years. It's the body of an old pickup with 2 bed shells stacked on top of each other. Look to your right as you go across the Manchac bridge and you might see him.
Suranis

Florida Man

Post by Suranis »

I know I'm probably weird, but I think it's pretty cool. Silly ya, but sod it, he's not hurting anyone and if it brings him a bit of happiness let him at it.

And He might not be a Trump Supporter. :eek:
Hic sunt dracones
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Florida Man

Post by neonzx »

Suranis wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:18 am I know I'm probably weird, but I think it's pretty cool. Silly ya, but sod it, he's not hurting anyone and if it brings him a bit of happiness let him at it.

And He might not be a Trump Supporter. :eek:
Oh he is a Trumper (even without the flags). Me in Florida kinda know these things. He might look pretty cool from across the pond though-- I get that.
Suranis

Florida Man

Post by Suranis »

Ya he probably is a trumper, but I have hope sometimes. :bag:
Hic sunt dracones
qbawl

Florida Man

Post by qbawl »

Yah, Trumper or not I find it if not cool at least impressive and entertaining. YMMV
pipistrelle

Florida Man

Post by pipistrelle »

It’s de rigueur for a Trumper to have a dozen flags and a tacky paint job.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Florida Man

Post by Slim Cognito »

Reminds me of when I lived at Lake of the Ozarks. There was a two-story mobile home. Yes, you read that correctly.

And when I say mobile home, I don’t mean modular, I mean old, single wide trailers. they drug them in on their own wheels, built a sort of scaffolding style exoskeleton, and voilà, redneck mansion.

Now that I think back, I believe it was two single wides on the bottom and one single wide on the top.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Florida Man

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Florida Man

Post by keith »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:17 pm Reminds me of when I lived at Lake of the Ozarks. There was a two-story mobile home. Yes, you read that correctly.

And when I say mobile home, I don’t mean modular, I mean old, single wide trailers. they drug them in on their own wheels, built a sort of scaffolding style exoskeleton, and voilà, redneck mansion.

Now that I think back, I believe it was two single wides on the bottom and one single wide on the top.
I know this is old, but my first high school girlfriend lived in an A-frame "mobile" home. It was a factory design, not an adhoc lets pile one on top of the other kind of job. It was weird at first thought, but once inside, it felt relatively normal.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Volkonski
Verified:

Florida Man

Post by Volkonski »

They came for Florida’s sun and sand. They got soaring costs and a culture war.
Florida has seen a population boom in recent years, but many longtime residents and recent transplants say rising costs and divisive politics have them fleeing the Sunshine State.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/econom ... rcna142316
Florida has had a population boom over the past several years, with more than 700,000 people moving there in 2022, and it was the second-fastest-growing state as of July 2023, according to Census Bureau data. While there are some indications that migration to the state has slowed from its pandemic highs, only Texas saw more one-way U-Haul moves into the state than Florida last year. Mortgage application data indicated there were nearly two homebuyers moving to Florida in 2023 for every one leaving, according to data analytics firm CoreLogic.

But while hundreds of thousands of new residents have flocked to the state on the promise of beautiful weather, no income tax and lower costs, nearly 500,000 left in 2022, according to the most recent census data. Contributing to their move was a perfect storm of soaring insurance costs, a hostile political environment, worsening traffic and extreme weather, according to interviews with more than a dozen recent transplants and longtime residents who left the state in the past two years.

“It wasn’t the utopia on any level that I thought it would be,” said Jodi Cummings, who moved to Florida from Connecticut in 2021. “I thought Florida would be an easier lifestyle, I thought the pace would be a little bit quieter, I thought it would be warmer. I didn’t expect it to be literally 100 degrees at night. It was incredibly difficult to make friends, and it was expensive, very expensive.”

Cummings expected she’d have extra money in her paycheck working as a private chef in the Palm Beach area since the state doesn’t have an income tax. But the high costs of car insurance, rent and food cut into that additional take-home pay. After six months of dealing with South Florida’s heat and traffic, she began planning a move back to the Northeast.

“I had been so disenchanted with Florida so quickly,” Cummings said. “There was this feeling of confusion and guilt about wanting to leave, of moving there then realizing this is not anything like I thought it would be.”

While costs have been rising across the country, some areas of Florida have been hit particularly hard. In the South Florida region, which includes Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach, consumer prices in February were up nearly 5% over the prior year, compared to 3.2% nationally, according to the most recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Homeowners insurance rates in Florida rose 42% last year to an average of $6,000 annually, driven by hurricanes and climate change, and car insurance in Florida is more than 50% higher than the national average, according to the Insurance Information Institute. While once seen as an affordable housing market, Florida is now among the more expensive states to buy a home in, with prices up 60% since 2020 to an average of $388,500, according to Zillow.

For Carter, who made the move in 2022 from Kansas to a suburb of Orlando for the weather, beaches and to be closer to her grandchildren, the costs began to quickly pile up. She purchased a manufactured home and initially expected the lot rent in her community to be $580 a month. But when she arrived she learned her monthly bill was actually $750, and by the time she left it had jumped to $875 a month. Along with the $9,000 in repairs from the armadillos, her car insurance doubled and Hurricane Ian destroyed her home’s roof on her 62nd birthday.
My mother and stepfather moved to Florida from Massachusetts in 1984. Then it was a mecca for retirees.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Florida Man

chris evans @notcapnamerica wrote: Hispanic restaurant owner Richard Gonzmart is a Republican who voted for DeSantis. Now he’s panicking because DeSantis’ new immigration law forced him to fire 19 members of his staff and pay a $500k fine because they are undocumented.
From miamiherald.com

It’s worth noting — he says he still supports Ron DeSantis and is “proud of everything he’s done.”
WTF Seriously 🇺🇲 🇺🇦
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Florida Man

AccuWeather @accuweather wrote: Florida man vs. alligator 🐊

Mike Dragich, a licensed Florida alligator trapper, used his bare hands to remove an 8-foot alligator that was wandering a busy area of Jacksonville, Florida, over the weekend. And he did it barefoot! ⁣

Do not try this on your own.
Gene Kooper

Florida Man

Post by Gene Kooper »

Well, that trick isn't all that hard OR dangerous. Nothing spectacular about doing it barefoot either.

One summer, many, many, many decades ago :oldman: I did that 5 times a day at the bottom of the hour. At the top of the hour I entertained the tourists by milking western diamondbacks. :boxing:

I usually approached the gator from the front. By sliding my hand along the sand, it wasn't able to see my hand get under its chin. Occasionally, a gator would get a bit too animated for that maneuver so I had to hold it by the tail until it relaxed before jumping on its back like Florida Man.

Ah, the good old days of being a simple, long-haired country boy trying to impress the ladies with my wrestling skills. I found that I had much better luck impressing the ladies with my 1964 Jaguar XKE convertible.

WOW!! I can't believe I had skinny legs once upon a time.

Wrestler2.jpg
Wrestler2.jpg (114.86 KiB) Viewed 102 times
raison de arizona

Florida Man

:jawdrop:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”