A General thread for 2024 Presidential Elections

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

MTN presents the former guy speaking stupid stuff in Las Vegas and Nikki Haley taking him on.

Speaker: Ben Meiselas but keeping fairly short

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Saunders
On threat from Trump
And on getting behind Biden

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-29/ ... /103392856
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Joe Manchin Fires a Warning Shot, Says He Can ‘Absolutely’ See Himself as President: Biden WH Dominated By ‘Far, Far-Left Liberals'

Joe DePaolo
Jan 28th, 2024, 4:28 pm

Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) is sending up smoke signals that he is preparing to run for president — and taking shots at the White House in the process.

In an new interview with CNN, the outgoing West Virginia senator said he can “absolutely” see himself as president. CNN’s Edward-Isaac Dovere detailed the reasons why Manchin is becoming increasingly open to a White House bid:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/joe-manch ... -liberals/
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Marianne Williamson suspends presidential campaign

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/mariann ... =106693762
The author and speaker placed a distant third during Tuesday night's Nevada primary, earning just 3% of the tallied vote. President Joe Biden received 89%, and the option "none of these candidates" took 6%. Her decision to leave the race was first learned by ABC News earlier on Wednesday.

Williamson had continued her 2024 White House bid through the Nevada primary even as her campaign struggled with momentum and resources after the primary season got off to a chilly start for the candidate in New Hampshire. In the Granite State's first-in-the-nation contest, she received about 4% of the vote behind Minnesota Rep. Dean Philips' 20% and Biden's 66% through a write-in campaign.

Williamson did finish ahead of Phillips in the South Carolina Democratic primary on Saturday, however, placing above the challenger who has been considered Biden's most noteworthy opponent.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:24 pm Marianne Williamson suspends presidential campaign

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/mariann ... =106693762
The author and speaker placed a distant third during Tuesday night's Nevada primary, earning just 3% of the tallied vote.
"Author and speaker" is almost euphemistically kid. New age loon might be somewhat more accurate.

I am pretty good at keeping up on the news, and was only vaguely aware that she was in the race. She was practically invisible, compared to the last two elections.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Since this is a comment about both Trump and Biden and their ages I'll put it here.

Trump was sworn in when he was 70 years old. He was a lousy president at that age. Why would anyone think he would be better at age 78?

Biden was sworn in when he was 78 years old and has been extremely effective. He has shown that he can handle the presidency at age 78.

Just saying.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:04 pm Since this is a comment about both Trump and Biden and their ages I'll put it here.

Trump was sworn in when he was 70 years old. He was a lousy president at that age. Why would anyone think he would be better at age 78?

Biden was sworn in when he was 78 years old and has been extremely effective. He has shown that he can handle the presidency at age 78.

Just saying.
The corpse of James Buchanan would have do a better job then he did....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

'Own it': Kellyanne Conway urges Republicans to run on their anti-abortion positions

David Badashand
February 14, 2024

Kellyanne Conway, the Trump 2016 campaign manager and senior White House counselor, is urging Republicans in her party to embrace their often extreme anti-abortion positions and run on them in the November election. For some Republicans, those positions include total or near-total abortion bans, a nationwide abortion ban, and in some cases they include supporting homicide charges for women who obtain an abortion, even if an abortion is medically necessary to save the life of the pregnant woman.

Pointing to New York Democrat Tom Suozzi’s major win in Tuesday’s special election to fill the House seat of expelled Republican former U.S. Congressman George Santos, Conway claimed Suozzi had gone against his party on the border, by running on fixing it.

“Suozzi, instead of lying, like every other Democrat seems to be doing these days,” said Conway, a pollster and political consultant, on Fox News Wednesday morning (video below). “What did he do? He said, I better go against my party on the border. And he did it. Paid advertising, mailers, press conferences, public appeals. So he has shown the Democrats how to run on the border.”

“I think Republicans should do the same thing with abortion,” Conway declared. “Instead of being ostriches and pretending with their head in the sand, they should be peacocks and say, ‘Look, this is what it means to be pro-life in 2024, this is what it means to be pro-choice in 2024.’ And instead of hiding, own it, and message it. I think he did a great job with that going against his party. Let’s see how many Democrats follow suit.”

https://www.alternet.org/kellyanne-conway-2667281817/
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

When she's right, she's right. Make them own it.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Dean Phillips vows to keep going after significant campaign layoffs: ‘I’m not giving up’

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... press.coop
“I found it almost impossible to raise enough to do this campaign the way I want,” Phillips said. “And today, sadly, I had to announce layoffs to a lot of my staff members… amazing people who gave up a lot personally and a lot professionally to join this remarkable campaign,” Phillips said in a TikTok posted Friday to his X account, formerly Twitter. “And it was a really tough day for all of us.”

“But I made a promise to them and I’m gonna make it to you, I’m not giving up,” he added. “I’m gonna continue.”

In his X post, Phillips called on supporters to donate so he could stay in the race — claiming a majority of Americans believe Biden is “too old” and the GOP front-runner, former President Trump, is “to corrupt.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
tek

Post by tek »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:24 pm In his X post, Phillips called on supporters to donate so he could stay in the race — claiming a majority of Americans believe Biden is “too old” and the GOP front-runner, former President Trump, is “to corrupt.”
Unfortunately, Phillips is "too stupid"
IMHO, of course.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gov-sha ... =107320339
Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro, one of Joe Biden's top Democratic surrogates, on Sunday urged the president's other supporters to start putting in the work to reelect him amid worries over his prospects at the ballot box.

"Well, the race is close. But understand, the campaign hasn't really even joined yet," Shapiro told ABC News "This Week" co-anchor Jonathan Karl when asked why the early polls are so tight between Biden and former President Donald Trump in Pennsylvania, which is likely to be a key swing state in the election.

"This is the reason why we run races," Shapiro said. "And I would say to folks who are worried about the numbers: Stop worrying and start working."
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Republican Accountability @AccountableGOP wrote: Former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson on Trump comparing himself to Navalny:

“He can't accept the fact that Navalny gave his life for freedom. He tries to compare himself, which is a false comparison, and it's offensive.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

We've come full circle scott it's now repeating trumps insults

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

opinion
The US as defender of democracy won’t win votes. Donald Trump gets it, but Joe Biden doesn’t
Despite concerns about the state of the world, Americans have soured on their global policing role

Simon Tisdall
Sat 2 Mar 2024 18.00 CET

If Joe Biden believes his record as a world leader will help him get re-elected in November, he may have another think coming. His term began with catastrophe in Afghanistan, was thrown into turmoil by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, and is ending on a desperately sour note in Gaza. Add in US-China standoffs and a proxy war with Iran, and the old foreign policy hand begins to look decidedly cack-handed.

That was partly the message from Michigan last week, where younger voters used the Democratic presidential primary to signal dismay over Biden’s unstinting backing for Israel’s war with Hamas. For sure, he has gradually become more critical of Benjamin Netanyahu’s criminal clique – and is finally pushing a ceasefire. But his lethal, almost callous misjudgments following 7 October will not be forgotten.

Biden is not the admired foreign policy maestro he seems to think he is. Hundreds of US officials have publicly rejected his Israel policy. So have European and Arab allies, amazed he’s so out of touch.

In a pompous “urgent message” to Biden last week, the New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman warned, belatedly, that America’s global standing was plummeting alongside Israel’s.

“I don’t think Israelis or the Biden administration fully appreciate the rage that is bubbling up around the world ... over the deaths of so many thousands of Palestinian civilians, particularly children, with US-supplied weapons in Gaza,” Friedman wrote. This is hardly a fresh insight. Biden, deaf to – or careless of – fury overseas, clings to outdated thinking based on Israeli exceptionalism and entitlement. Sometimes the Atlantic seems very wide indeed.

Biden may be finally waking up to his Israel-related electoral peril. The 13% of Michigan Democrats who voted “uncommitted”, rather than for him, could spark a rolling, nationwide de facto boycott of his candidacy, starting with this week’s Super Tuesday primaries. Biden will surely win his party’s nomination. But his cause is tarnished.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-does-not
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Another excellent article by Jim Wright…
That 30% of Americans will reject

https://www.stonekettle.com/2024/03/no- ... qAu7aE&m=1
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I just voted in Minnesota’s primary. I know Biden’s going to win, but I had to make sure I voted against my idiotic Representative - Dean Phillips - who’s running against Biden.
bob

Post by bob »

Uygur isn't on the California ballot. :brickwallsmall:

Literally anyone can waste their vote by writing in an uncertified candidate's name.*

* :whistle:
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

I'm going to have to read that odious SCOTUS excretion to find out why it is constitutional for a state to block Uygur from the ballot, but unconstitutional to block tfg.

Not that I would ever vote for Uygur. I don't recall any enabling legislation from Congress to block his nomination though.

I may have missed it.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Minnesota Rep. Dean Phillips ends Democratic primary challenge and endorses President Joe Biden

https://apnews.com/article/dean-phillip ... cb616b9af0
U.S. Rep. Dean Phillips of Minnesota ended his long-shot 2024 Democratic presidential bid on Wednesday after failing to win a primary contest against President Joe Biden.

Phillips told WCCO Radio in Minneapolis that he was endorsing Biden.

Phillips, a 55-year-old multimillionaire who is among the richest members of Congress, built his White House bid around calls for a new generation of Democratic leadership while spending freely from his personal fortune. But the little-known congressman ultimately failed to resonate with the party’s voters.
MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:16 pm I just voted in Minnesota’s primary. I know Biden’s going to win, but I had to make sure I voted against my idiotic Representative - Dean Phillips - who’s running against Biden.
bob

Post by bob »

AP: Who is Jason Palmer? A previously unknown Democrat beats Biden in American Samoa’s Democratic caucus:
President Joe Biden was sweeping every Democratic contest on Super Tuesday — except for American Samoa.

He fell short there to a previously unknown candidate named Jason Palmer. Out of 91 ballots cast in the territory’s caucus, Palmer won 51 and Biden won 40, according to the local party.

American Samoa has been the site of quixotic victories before. During the 2020 Democratic primaries, billionaire Michael Bloomberg’s only win came in the territory.
Palmer now has more Democratic delegates than anyone not named "Biden" or "uncommitted."
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

"For completeness": Uyguyr's haul:

Minnesota: 721 votes (0.3%);
Oklahoma: 1,971 votes (0.2%);
Texas: 15,428 votes (1.6%);
Vermont: 696 votes (1.0%).

... for a grand total of zero delegates. :towel:
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://thehill.com/homenews/4514263-ce ... ntial-bid/
“The Young Turks” host, who was born in Turkey and is therefore not eligible to become president due to the Constitution’s “Natural Born Citizen” Clause, had attempted to launch a legal battle to gain ballot access across the country.

“Look, we needed a couple of miracles,” Uygur said in a “The Young Turks” interview later Wednesday. “This was an act of desperation to try to change the course of this campaign because Biden I was positive was going to lose.”

Uygur acknowledged that his legal battle found little success, but he said the stage is set for future naturalized citizens who choose to challenge the presidential requirement.

“I got caught trying,” he said.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “US President”