Keepers of the Oaf (Oath Keepers) Elmer Stewart Rhodes etc.

bob

Post by bob »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:06 pmSomeone said she's deep into conspiracy theories. Eh, so are a lot of people. Doesn't seem to stop them from being tried.
The could be just a pause in the proceedings, and not the end of them. The trial (or plea bargain) may yet happen.

JPC's point is good: The judge may foresee the defendant's arguing on appeal that the judge erred by not declaring her incompetent. So, in an abundance of caution and to protect the order, the judge orders a competency evaluation to ensure the defendant actually can stand trial.
Image ImageImage
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

northland10 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:41 pm
bob wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:51 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:49 pm But could her defendants come back with ineffective counsel?
Possibly; I wouldn't be surprised if they tried.

This mean she presently cannot stand trial. Presumably due to mental-health issues.

But her present mental condition does not necessarily impugn her performance in the past when she was representing others.
Those defendants would not be any of the January 6 folks. As best as I can tell, she has only one case in federal court where she was representing someone and that was Latinos for Trump in which she was joined by that goofball Paul Davis.

Currently, she is administratively suspended for not paying her membership fees in the Texas Bar. I assume that happened after the 2021 Latinos for Trump case.
I thought she was representing Rhodes (and possibly others?) until she conflicted herself out by getting indicted, so those guys all had to get new counsel. I might be misremembering, but I thought that’s what happened.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:53 pm I thought she was representing Rhodes (and possibly others?) until she conflicted herself out by getting indicted, so those guys all had to get new counsel. I might be misremembering, but I thought that’s what happened.
She never made an appearance for Rhodes in his Texas arrest proceedings and I cannot find even in a motion for PHV for SoRelle in Rhodes or Kelly Meggs cases in DC. She was apparently "general counsel" for the Oathkeepers and Latinos for Trump (among others) so that may be where the confusion rises. The reports I have read said that she was interim in charge of the Oathkeepers while Rhodes was on his sabbatical.
101010 :towel:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

northland10 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:09 am
Maybenaut wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:53 pm I thought she was representing Rhodes (and possibly others?) until she conflicted herself out by getting indicted, so those guys all had to get new counsel. I might be misremembering, but I thought that’s what happened.
She never made an appearance for Rhodes in his Texas arrest proceedings and I cannot find even in a motion for PHV for SoRelle in Rhodes or Kelly Meggs cases in DC. She was apparently "general counsel" for the Oathkeepers and Latinos for Trump (among others) so that may be where the confusion rises. The reports I have read said that she was interim in charge of the Oathkeepers while Rhodes was on his sabbatical.
That’s right - now I remember. She was general counsel for the oath keepers. I remember something about Rhodes sending her racy emails or something, then she took over leadership after Rhodes got arrested. Then she got arrested.

It’s hard to keep these people straight without a line diagram.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Calling from prison, Oathkeepers leader Stewart Rhodes predicts Trump will be indicted for J6, and lists the 4 charges he thinks he will be hit with.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kendra wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:44 pm https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/stat ... 7053877255
Calling from prison, Oathkeepers leader Stewart Rhodes predicts Trump will be indicted for J6, and lists the 4 charges he thinks he will be hit with.
:mrgreen: that puts me in my happy place.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Gifted.

Oath Keepers attorney is found incompetent to stand trial in Jan. 6 case
A federal judge on Friday found Kellye SoRelle — an attorney for the Oath Keepers and girlfriend of the right-wing group’s leader, Stewart Rhodes — mentally incompetent to stand trial as scheduled next month on charges related to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.

U.S. District Judge Amit P. Mehta of D.C. postponed SoRelle’s trial indefinitely, finding — based on reports by defense and government medical experts — that she was suffering from a mental disease or defect rendering her unable to understand the proceedings against her or to assist properly in her defense.

Mehta ordered the defendant to begin treatment near Junction, Tex., where she lives, while both sides searched for an inpatient hospital facility where she could be held for months to determine whether competence could be restored. The reports and the nature of SoRelle’s condition were not made public.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Hopefully she will get the treatment that she needs and makes a recovery.

Then stands trial.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

What Dave says. This was a twist I didn't have on my bingo card.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Judge orders OathKeepers lawyer & Jan 6 defendant Kellye Sorelle hospitalized for competency exam:

"Court finds by a preponderance of the evidence that Defendant is presently suffering from a mental
disease or defect rendering her mentally incompetent.."
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Now do trump.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:01 pm Now do trump.
“person,” “woman,” “man,” “camera,” “TV,”
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I'm not surprised. I think lots of people who believe in conspiracy theories and engage in conspiratorial thinking are schizophrenic, schizoaffective, or suffer from another mental illness that involves feelings of persecution. My family member who suffers from schizoaffective disorder has no problem generally appearing quite normal to coworkers and people she encounters in day to day activity. She was an accountant and then she managed a retail operation and nobody who worked for her ever knew of her illness. There is a huge amount of misinformation and misunderstanding regarding mental illness. One being that anyone suffering from a major mental illness sits in a corner drooling all day and can't hold a professional job. That is simply not the case. Many manage to hide their illness even without meds given that to the extent they suffer paranoia and feelings of persecution they often have no problem keeping that information to themselves quite effectively. Mostly because they don't trust people enough to actually reveal what they are thinking or experiencing. Stress often brings on the really bad breaks from reality and that is probably what is happening with SoRelle. I would imagine the idea of facing possibly ten or more years in prison would bring on the stress pretty quickly.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

All true.

But also, some people are just phucktwaddles.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
bob

Post by bob »

DOJ's appealing Rhodes' sentence (as well those for his co-defendants).
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

Justice Department appeals Jan. 6 prison sentences for Stewart Rhodes, Oath Keepers
Prosecutors are dissatisfied with the severity of the sentences handed down by the federal judge overseeing the case.
:snippity:
In a series of filings, prosecutors also signaled they were appealing the sentences — all delivered by Mehta, an appointee of President Barack Obama — of several other defendants convicted for their own role in Rhodes’ alleged conspiracy.

Many of Rhodes’ coconspirators faced sentences that similarly fell below the guidelines ranges for their conduct — in some cases by several orders of magnitude. Among those who, like Rhodes, were convicted of seditious conspiracy:

Florida Oath Keeper leader Kelly Meggs received a 12-year term; DOJ sought 21 years.
Roberto Minuta of New York was sentenced to 4.5 years; DOJ sought 17 years.
Joseph Hackett of Florida received a 3.5-year sentence; DOJ sought 12 years.
Ed Vallejo of Arizona received a 3-year sentence; DOJ sought 17 years.
David Moerschel of Florida was sentenced to three years: DOJ sought 10 years.
DOJ also appealed the conviction of two Oath Keepers acquitted of seditious conspiracy but convicted of conspiring to obstruct Congress:

Jessica Watkins of Ohio, who was sentenced to 8.5 years in jail; DOJ sought 18 years.
Kenneth Harrelson of Florida, who was sentenced to 4 years; DOJ sought 15.
:snippity:
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/1 ... s-00106040
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

https://twitter.com/VivianCreekmore/sta ... 07588?s=20
Becky Werner @bw71961 wrote: ~ Dems are calling on the Department of Homeland Security to detail what actions they've taken to weed out extremists within their ranks ~ More than 300 individuals are current or former employees of DHS ~ #FreshResists #ProudBlue #DemVoice1
pogo.org wrote: Hundreds of Oath Keepers Have Worked for DHS, Leaked List Shows
A leaked Oath Keepers membership list includes hundreds of individuals who said they have worked for Department of Homeland Security components.
Adam Cohen Lawyers for Good Government #DemCast Retweeted
Vivian Creekmore @VivianCreekmore wrote: How to phrase this?
Oath Keepers infiltrated the DHS & other gov agencies
OR
DHS, police depts, FBI, & other agencies are made up of white nationalists rightwing extremist groups?
#DemVoice1 #WisDems
Article: https://www.pogo.org/investigation/2022 ... list-shows
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I saw this on TWITTER (I ain't calling it X) and thought you'd appreciate the menace that is CHUCK SCHUMER.

This is by Rhodes' son Dakota Adams. https://dakotavadams.substack.com/p/kil ... arts-truck
Killing Chuck Schumer: Stewart's Truck Stop Fantasy

For one brief golden moment, a window of time that Stewart would obsess over for decades to come and may be ruminating over in his cell even now, newly elected Chuck Schumer came over the Representatives offices to visit someone and ended up alone in a public bathroom with Stewart Rhodes.

Stewart weighed his options for seconds that felt like hours, judging that he probably could slip behind Senator Schumer and get him in a rear naked choke before he could scream for help. Stewart had been in the military and trained afterwards with the forefront of BJJ in America, he could take Chuck. The question is whether he would be able to get away with it, and leave the scene of the crime without being positively ID’d.

While he struggled over this last point, Chuck Schumer finished his government work and left.

The sense of lost opportunity would settle into Stewart like an ember and smolder for years.
shannon
Verified:

Post by shannon »

Is she a seditionist? Yes.
Does she deserve to be in prison for 8.5 years? HELL YES.

However, that should be a woman's prison.

Trans Jan 6 rioter is begging Marjorie Taylor Greene to get her into a women’s prison

https://twitter.com/J6ssicaWatkins/stat ... 45909?s=20

She don't seem to get it. While the people she's begging for help from might think she's a "hero" and "political prisoner" for being a J6 seditionist, they also hate her for being transgender and think she should be in a mans prison FOR being trans, if not dead.
Mad Geoscientist GRADUATE STUDENT in Training
Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

Let me know if Kellye Sorelle has her own thread. I think she deserves one.

Anywho, she was arrested but determined incompetent to stand trial. As of November 27, 2023, she was assigned to Federal Medical Facility Carswell to be restored to competence. FMC Carswell is a medical unit is a BOP facility for female inmates with mental health problems.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 5.22.39 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 5.22.39 PM.png (32.97 KiB) Viewed 524 times

The weird thing is that her account tweeted twice on January 4:

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 5.30.29 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 5.30.29 PM.png (51.88 KiB) Viewed 524 times

Is it possible to tweet from within a federal mental health lockup?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/oa ... d020&ei=25
A few months ago, a “mental disease or defect” temporarily barred Oath Keeper attorney Kelly SoRelle from facing trial for charges related to the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, but now her mental competency has been restored after an evaluation by the Bureau of Prisons, a federal judge has found.

U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta made the ruling from federal court in Washington, D.C., in a paperless order posted to the docket on Feb. 9. He also ordered that she be released from custody as she awaits her trial on charges that she conspired to obstruct an official proceeding, obstructed an official proceeding, entered and remained in a restricted building or grounds, and obstructed justice by tampering with documents.

She is under orders not to have any contact with Oath Keepers or other members of the far-right organization.
Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

If the groundhog had seen his shadow, they were going to keep her in for another six weeks.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Keeping her away from Rhodes improved her mental health.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

I thought this was interesting. Stewart's estranged son Dakota Adams is running for a Montana Legislature seat as a democrat
https://apnews.com/article/oath-keepers ... ce=Twitter
He also plans to sell the rifles, body armor and tactical gear he used to wear to anti-government protests alongside his father — Stewart Rhodes, founder of the Oath Keepers. It’s all part of an effort to push away the last vestiges of what Adams describes as an isolating and abusive upbringing that nearly ruined him, his mother and his siblings.

“I decided that I’m going to double down on betting on the electoral process,” Adams said in a recent interview.

Adams, who uses his mother’s maiden name and refers to Rhodes only by his first name, was raised in the shadow of one of the nation’s most notorious conspiracy theorists.

Rhodes graduated from Yale with a law degree, but Adams called him lazy, paranoid and a grifter who had an exaggerated sense of his own importance as a threat to the government. Rhodes started Oath Keepers in 2009 after Democrat Barack Obama was elected president.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Dr. Ken wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:27 pm I thought this was interesting. Stewart's estranged son Dakota Adams is running for a Montana Legislature seat as a democrat
https://apnews.com/article/oath-keepers ... Twitter\09 after Democrat Barack Obama was elected president.
He changed his twitter nickname to Adams for HD1 a while back. I'd say he's well into the left end of the spectrum. He writes extensively about how he fell into the abyss and how he got out of it. Rhodes was a Ron Paul supporter.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”