Healthcare Behaving Badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Kentucky

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Brooklyn NY (NYC) ~2007.

I was visiting family and taking a solo walk around the neighborhood. This late 20-something year old guy was just hanging out in front of building where my family's flat was. I immediately became concerned. I didn't feel threatened. He asked if could have some water. I told him to wait there on the sidewalk and went to the flat got a bottle of water and a half sandwich and brought it down to him.

I sat with him and he explained to me that he was in the hospital the previous day, but they kicked him out after he was "stable" (no, he was in distress still). He still had the hospital ID bracelet on.

After talking with him for 10ish minutes, I called EMS and explained what was going on. They showed up along with LE.

I was pretty adamant that this patient should not have been released like this. They did put him the ambulance.

So it is not just red-states that will kick patients to the streets... Liberal NYC does it too also.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

Was going to put this in the bad results from Dobbs thread as it has to do with our fragmented healthcare system and leaving stuff to the States, but this works too.

My 33 year old niece is going blind. We (the family) have decided she can't live alone anymore. She also needs very specialized care as they think it is an autoimmune thing and maybe genetics.

Since losing her job due to the loss of sight, she is on Medi-Cal, California's version of Medicaid. Every state administers Medicaid differently, and of course many red states flat out won't cover many people in need.

She has been living and working in Ventura, Ca. We live in Sacramento, Ca. Her Mom is in Mississippi and/or Floriduh. Dad is in Southern Oregon, nearest "big" city is Medford. When I worked in NICU in Portland, transports from Medford were called "Medford messes". Not good care there.

She can't live with either parent because of the lack of access to care/insurance.

Well, today another shitty example of this fragmented system:

She is in Oregon with her father for a short visit. They discovered she is out of her eye drops. Mom is scrambling to get her prescription transferred, but since she has Medi-Cal, it can only be filled in California. So Dad or someone, has to drive to Yreka, Ca to get it.

We need a REAL national healthcare plan that will cover all of us, everywhere. Let people/employers pay for fancier stuff, but come on, this is getting worse and worse instead of better.
:mad2:
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

I do not understand why this great USA doesn't have a NHS. I was born at Walter Reed and raised in the Air Force, my first Mister was a clarinet player in the Army Band for 20 years and when I divorced him I lost my military health insurance then having to get it through the private system. What a fucked up system! The cheapest I could get then was $900. a month and it covered very little, not that I ever had many medical issues, mostly sinus infections and allergies. Thankfully now I'm old enough for Medicare and the supplement is nothing as bad as that. Also luckily I still have no medical issues, other than allergies & ADHA. I was prescribed meds for both but generally only take the allergy meds when my face slams shut and I only take the ADHA meds when something is coming up that I need to pay attention to.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

I don't understand why employers aren't clamoring to get rid of the HR departments bloated by all of the issues and expenses with providing health insurance.

And people having to mess with HSAs and other crazy crap?!? Deductibles! Co-pays!

I worked one night with a nurse who was being treated for breast cancer. She looked like death warmed over. I heard she had to work to keep her health insurance, not only for herself, but for her husband and 2 kids. Never saw her again. She died. Her name was Rosemary. I can still see her in my mind. Makes me cry.

Thank goodness I didn't get diagnosed until I had not only Medicare, but Medicaid. I would have had to just die without both. I would not even have been able to afford what Medicare didn't cover.

Chemo: 1500/tx 1 x per week for 18 weeks. Radiation: 750/day, 5 days per week x 7 weeks. Plus $750 Md appts and much, much more. I have no idea what my anti-cancer pills cost. Or pain pills, or ... all of the rest.

Yeah, I get mail that tells me how much I'm costing, but it is just too much to deal with. I'm just now able to get out to the kitchen to get my own friggin' OJ that I need due to my critically low potassium, that hopefully is normal now that I am able to eat/drink.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Sequoia32 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:14 pm I don't understand why employers aren't clamoring to get rid of the HR departments bloated by all of the issues and expenses with providing health insurance.
Because some employers are saturated in the pre-Affordable Care Act mindset that locks you into a job because of the health insurance. I stayed at my old hated job for 10 years in part because of that, and it was my ex-wife's insistence that I stay at it so that she could have health insurance when she quit her job to go back to school that in part ended our marriage ... or at least led to the marriage ending fight.

But I digress, as I am wont to do. The point is that to some employers, the cost of HR bloating is an acceptable cost of locking in a compliant, needy workforce.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

Hmmmm ... that makes sense ... and another reason it's got to change.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

From This is True

https://www.statista.com/chart/30313/he ... istrue.com

https://www.prosperity.com/rankings?utm ... istrue.com

I haven’t heard the claim that “the U.S. has the best healthcare in the world!” claim lately, which is good because it isn’t close to true. But what country’s IS on top, and where does the U.S. really fall? (69th!) A fairly eye-opening and quick read at Statista: The Healthiest (& Unhealthiest) Countries in the World. It’s in recognition of the 75th anniversary of the U.K.’s National Health Service, which is also nowhere near the top, but significantly higher than the U.S. To see their source data and where every country ranks, look at the Legatum Prosperity Index; click the healthcare header to sort by that column (third from right). You’ll find there that the U.S. is nowhere near the top for “Personal Freedom” either. But hey! We’re at #17 for “Investment Environment”!
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I don't know if there's a separate thread for this, so I'll put it here -
-

Complete text of twitter thread -
Robert Weissman
@Rob_Weissman

Major blow to Big Pharma's bad-faith effort to block Medicare drug price negotiation, as a federal judge rejects a preliminary injunction request to block the Medicare drug negotiation program. 1/4

It's not just that the 6th Circuit judge requested the preliminary injunction motion filed by the Chamber of Commerce ... He eviscerated the core argument Big Pharma is making in lawsuits across the country. 2/4

Big Pharma claims that the negotiation process constitutes a "taking" under the Fifth Amendment and that drug companies are entitled to be paid the price-gouging, monopolist rates they currently impose on Medicare ... as a matter of constitutional right. 3/4

There are many reasons this is wrong, but the judge focused on the most basic: Medicare is a voluntary program. If drug companies don't like the negotiation process, they are free not to sell to Medicare. Thus, no taking. 4/4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Rokhanna takes it to Johnson & Johnson re: above lawsuit.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”