E. Jean Carroll v. Donald J. Trump and United States of America (poll added!)

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*

What will the jury decide?

Trump liable for rape; award of more than a million dollars
63%
Trump liable for rape; award of less than a million dollars
19%
Trump liable for rape; award of one dollar (it's possible!)
3%
Trump not liable for rape or assault
4%
Hung jury, which means mistrial and new trial later
11%

Total votes: 72

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

bob wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:58 pm
chancery wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:41 pmIMO it's unlikely that Judge Kaplan is considering issuing a sanctions order on his own motion.
Call and raise: Too also, the plaintiff also won't move for sanctions (I WAG).
Is that because the plaintiff's team has already won a massive victory so the they're not looking to start a fight that they don't need and would barely (if at all) benefit them?

Or is there a less obvious reason?

As always, thanks bob and chancery for your expert analysis and interpretation.
bob

Post by bob »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:07 pm Is that because the plaintiff's team has already won a massive victory so the they're not looking to start a fight that they don't need and would barely (if at all) benefit them?
Yes. And Rule 11 has procedural traps; you just don't waltz into court and say, "Sanctions, please."
Image ImageImage
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Society *needs* Trump’s current astonishing legal team to keep representing him.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

I agree with Bob.
the plaintiff's team has already won a massive victory so the they're not looking to start a fight that they don't need and would barely (if at all) benefit them?
That's one sufficient reason. Another is that judges hate hate hate sanctions motions.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

ISO of the ruling, reportedly it says tfg's arguments had no “merit” and are “entirely pointless.”
Trump motion for mistrial in E. Jean Carroll case is denied
The ruling comes after a New York jury reached a verdict last month awarding Carroll $83.3 million in damages.

A federal judge on Wednesday rejected Donald Trump’s motion seeking a mistrial in the E. Jean Carroll case after a jury found last month that the former president must pay her more than $83 million.

Trump’s attorneys had argued in their mistrial motion that Carroll deleted threatening messages, including death threats, which they said was cause for a mistrial.

In a 30-page decision Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan said that while Carroll admitted she deleted some of the purported death threats, the details of the deletions remain unclear. He ruled that Trump’s team failed to demonstrate that any of the missing messages would have aided his defense, which would have been necessary to show that her deletions were prejudicial.
:snippity:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... rcna137790
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Found it: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .284.0.pdf

Good stuff starts on page 12.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

So was he waiting on this motion (and his dismissal order) before entering the judgement? I just really want shithead to have to park $83 million while doing the appeal.

Side question: He had to park $5 million for the first judgement, which isn't huge amount (for him). $83mm is a whole nother thing. So, 2 questions: does he have to actually deposit cash or can he pledge/sign over assets with that value? And, what if he uses campaign funds...is that legal?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
bob

Post by bob »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:59 pmSo, 2 questions: does he have to actually deposit cash or can he pledge/sign over assets with that value?
Judge's discretion.
And, what if he uses campaign funds...is that legal?
The court won't ask (and the toothless FEC won't care/probably would bless).
Image ImageImage
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks raison! :bighug:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

chancery wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:16 pm I agree with Bob.
the plaintiff's team has already won a massive victory so the they're not looking to start a fight that they don't need and would barely (if at all) benefit them?
That's one sufficient reason. Another is that judges hate hate hate sanctions motions.
For Klayman, sanction motions are standard boilerplate filings. The motions get all the attention they require:

"No. Next".
101010 :towel:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

northland10 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:05 am :snippity:
For Klayman, sanction motions are standard boilerplate filings. The motions get all the attention they require:

"No. Next".
So the KKKlayman order is:
  • file a nonsense suit projecting his sins onto others
  • fail to serve defendants
  • identify that the judge is not a Trumpist idiot who will bend to KKKlayman's crap
  • sue the judge in a nonsense claim, stays in baffled clerk's in-tray
  • demand the judge recuse him/herself because the judge is inevitably biased as a consequence of KKKlayman's suit, dennied
  • appeal the recusal motion, dennied
  • demand summary judgement, dennied
  • defendants don't appear because not served, or, in the alternative, defendants' most junior attorney moves for summary dismissal, granted
  • case dismissed due to lack of jurisdiction, improper venue, not serving defendants, legal absurdity, or just general asshattery
  • sanctions motion against everybody
There are probably several more stops for KKKlayman's Legal Idiot Train.

I could be as good a lawyer as KKKlayman! Wait! I already am!!
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:22 am
northland10 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:05 am :snippity:

"No. Next".
So the KKKlayman order is:
Your list is seriously lacking in recusal motions. One should come before they are sued, the first time.

You also missed the large amount of motions for reconsideration and sanctions, and the obligatory, post-judgment, "I'm going to file bad things about you Judge meany in various places (Appeals, SCOTUS, naughty judge conference, various bars, the Hague, my extra special citizen grand jury with sprinkles, etc.)" notification.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

https://x.com/Victorshi2020/status/1755 ... 10011?s=20
Victor Shi @Victorshi2020 wrote: BREAKING: Judge Kaplan just affirmed the $83.3 million jury verdict against Donald Trump in the E. Jean Carroll defamation case. That means E. Jean Carroll can officially start the process of obtaining the damages. Bad news for Trump, but Justice for E. Jean Carroll at last!
bob

Post by bob »

Victor Shi @Victorshi2020 wrote: BREAKING: Judge Kaplan just affirmed the $83.3 million jury verdict against Donald Trump in the E. Jean Carroll defamation case. That means E. Jean Carroll can officially start the process of obtaining the damages. Bad news for Trump, but Justice for E. Jean Carroll at last!
Translation: The judgment was entered. Meaning NOW the various clocks (to file a notice of appeal, to seek a stay of enforcement and post a bond) start. (There is a temporary, automatic stay of plaintiffs' ability to enforce the judgment, to permit defendants to decide how to proceed.)
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

The judgment.
► Show Spoiler
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

bob wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:21 pm Translation: The judgment was entered. Meaning NOW the various clocks (to file a notice of appeal, to seek a stay of enforcement and post a bond) start. (There is a temporary, automatic stay of plaintiffs' ability to enforce the judgment, to permit defendants to decide how to proceed.)
Trump's lawyers are likely to file post-trial motions under rule 59 for a new trial and/or to alter or amend the judgment and maybe also for judgment as a matter of law under FRCP 50 (in your dreams, Trump). The time to file a notice of appeal will run from entry of the order disposing of the last such motion to be decided.

I don't think that such motions will extend the temporary automatic stay of judgment enforcement beyond the 30 days provided for by Rule 62.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

chancery wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:31 pm
bob wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:21 pm Translation: The judgment was entered. Meaning NOW the various clocks (to file a notice of appeal, to seek a stay of enforcement and post a bond) start. (There is a temporary, automatic stay of plaintiffs' ability to enforce the judgment, to permit defendants to decide how to proceed.)
Trump's lawyers are likely to file post-trial motions under rule 59 for a new trial and/or to alter or amend the judgment and maybe also for judgment as a matter of law under FRCP 50 (in your dreams, Trump). The time to file a notice of appeal will run from entry of the order disposing of the last such motion to be decided.

I don't think that such motions will extend the temporary automatic stay of judgment enforcement beyond the 30 days provided for by Rule 62.
So, bottom line question(s): when will he have to deposit $83 million? When will EJC actually get it?
Obviously, the $5 million from the other trial still hasn't been disbursed. How long does this usually take? I don't want poor EJC to die before it gets to her!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
realist

Post by realist »

Not speaking "legally" but from experience.
So, bottom line question(s): when will he have to deposit $83 million?

He may not have to post the full $83 million. That is up to the judge's discretion.
When will EJC actually get it?
If she ever gets it it'll be "whenever she gets it."
Obviously, the $5 million from the other trial still hasn't been disbursed. How long does this usually take?

Not being flippant but there's no "usually." It depends on many factors, but generally speaking it can easily take years, if it happens at all.
I don't want poor EJC to die before it gets to her!
Sadly, that's a distinct possibility.
Image X 4
Image X 32
bob

Post by bob »

Rolodex wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:47 pm So, bottom line question(s): when will he have to deposit $83 million? When will EJC actually get it?
Under FRCP 62, there's a 30-day stay before execution can start.

But, realistically, that will be extended once the defendant moves for a bond and also jockeys for a smaller bond, property in lieu of a bond, or something else.
I assume Carroll has entertained this possibility, and likely has instructions for her estate on what to do with the funds if they aren't delivered until after she dies.
Image ImageImage
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Thanks for the responses. I figured things would take a long time.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bob wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:55 pm
I assume Carroll has entertained this possibility, and likely has instructions for her estate on what to do with the funds if they aren't delivered until after she dies.
What if the opposite happens and the mango musolini shuffles off this mortal coil before he is forced to pay? Can Ms. Carroll (or her estate) collect the money from his estate?
much ado

Post by much ado »

noblepa wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:32 pm
bob wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:55 pm
What if the opposite happens and the mango musolini shuffles off this mortal coil before he is forced to pay? Can Ms. Carroll (or her estate) collect the money from his estate?
Yes. I think it was bob who already addressed this.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/stat ... 1776830685
Raffi Melkonian
@RMFifthCircuit
While we’ve been discussing Trump’s state court defeat, he’s also facing enforcement of the federal court defamation judgment. Apparently he has just asked for a temporary stay of that judgment without bond while he does post-trial motion practice.
The brief in support of the motion is here: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .287.0.pdf

I see that the firm of John Sauer, the Missouri lawyer who handled Trump's D.D. Circuit appeal seeking absolute immunity from criminal prosecution, is in the process of appearing as co-counsel with Alina Habba's firm for Trump Carroll v. Trump.

https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/stat ... 8499182836
Raffi Melkonian
@RMFifthCircuit
I skimmed the motion. It’s fine at a superficial level. It says the things you’d say. It’s just hard to both claim you’re mega rich and also you don’t have $90 for the bond.
I think that Raffi meant to say "$90 Million for the bond."
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

So… activity on a Sunday -

Judge Rejects Trump Attempt to Delay E. Jean Carroll Judgment
Federal District Judge Lewis Kaplan this morning rejected Donald Trump's request for an emergency stay on the collection of the $83.3 million dollar judgment won by E. Jean Carroll against him. Trump was asking the court for a delay pending post trial motions and appeals.

In rejecting the motion, the court noted that Trump waited 25 days after the judgment was filed to make his request right before the deadline for Carroll's lawyers to begin attaching liens on his assets. The court also noted that he hasn't even filed any post trial motions yet, only a request to delay the collection of the judgment. Judge Kaplan rejected the request and ordered that briefs be submitted next week.

"The court declines to grant any stay, much less an unsecured stay, without first having afforded plaintiff a meaningful opportunity to be heard."
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

"much less an unsecured stay,"

Yes please, force him to deposit the whole judgement value in advance :violin:

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”