Lani

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
p0rtia

Lani

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks for keeping us posted. Glad he made it and is with family.

:heart: :heart: :heart:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Lani

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Lani

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Lani

Post by Lani »

He's staying while he's helping his dad finishes a book. Or a play. Not sure. His dad had written several plays. The biggist was Breaker Morant, which became a movie.

I'm glad they are together.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Lani

Post by keith »

Breaker Morant wasn't a movie,

It was a great movie! Though the acuracy is in doubt because every thing about the case is in doubt.

Morant is considered an Aussie mythic hero who was hard done by.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Lani

Post by Maybenaut »

Lani wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:22 am He's staying while he's helping his dad finishes a book. Or a play. Not sure. His dad had written several plays. The biggist was Breaker Morant, which became a movie.

I'm glad they are together.
We watched Breaker Morant in Officer Candidate School in the Coast Guard.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Lani

Lani

Post by Lani »

Meanwhile, son & partner have an apt now. :dance:

However, they don't have a bed. Just a cot for gf. It's taking awhile for their bed to arrive, so he shows up occasionally to have a nap.

Also, her 11yo cat is still in my home. Belle & Mocha are happy together. So kinda/sorta things are getting better.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
June bug

Lani

Post by June bug »

:thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Lani

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug: :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Lani

Post by bill_g »

I thought I posted about this already. We left everything in Detroit to move to Portland. So, things like beds were the first order of business when we landed in an apartment. We made beds out of cardboard boxes and sleeping bags. We broke the boxes down, flattened them out, layered them four deep, and drew upon our first grade art training to glue them together with Elmers. A razor knife trimmed them to the same size. And that's what we used for first few paychecks. We slowly accumulated real furniture from the Salvation Army and yard sales. We still have one of the bedroom chest of drawers, and a book shelf - refinished and pretty.

You can't be proud when you're broke.
sugar magnolia

Lani

Post by sugar magnolia »

2 milk crates and a full length mirror served as our dining table for the first year we were married. We couldn't afford to buy bar stools to eat at the counter and sitting on the floor to eat off the mirror didn't even require chairs.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Lani

Post by Foggy »

bill_g wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:24 pm You can't be proud when you're broke.
Sure you can. You're proud of making cardboard furniture, and you should be. I couldn't afford to pay mechanics, so I taught myself how to work on my car(s). I couldn't afford fancy restaurants, so I taught myself how to cook. I couldn't afford fancy clothes, but I lived near the garment district in LA. :mrgreen: I'm proud of a lot of things I did when I was poor.

And poor people are way more generous and helpful than rich people, IMHO.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
bill_g

Lani

Post by bill_g »

Foggy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:27 am
bill_g wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:24 pm You can't be proud when you're broke.
Sure you can. You're proud of making cardboard furniture, and you should be. I couldn't afford to pay mechanics, so I taught myself how to work on my car(s). I couldn't afford fancy restaurants, so I taught myself how to cook. I couldn't afford fancy clothes, but I lived near the garment district in LA. :mrgreen: I'm proud of a lot of things I did when I was poor.

And poor people are way more generous and helpful than rich people, IMHO.
Ha! Point taken. Check, check, and check on the fixin cars, cookin food, and makin clothes. I learned a lot of that growing up. Dad was very handy at making tables and chairs out of scrap wood. Mom insisted all of us boys learned how to feed ourselves. And she passed along the knowledge how to make used clothes fit. It was much easier to make shirts and pants smaller than bigger. Buy oversized, add a couple seams, hem the cuffs, and allow for growing kids. What is a little baggy today will be too small in a year. Style goes out the window, but you aren't wearing dirty rags.
bill_g

Lani

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:08 pm 2 milk crates and a full length mirror served as our dining table for the first year we were married. We couldn't afford to buy bar stools to eat at the counter and sitting on the floor to eat off the mirror didn't even require chairs.
That must have been a really thick piece of glass!

I brought home a six foot wooden cable reel. Sheets of cardboard smoothed out the top, and bed sheets became the table cloth. I made picnic benches to sit on. Mrs was very happy to get rid of that heavy thing. But the boys couldn't beat it to death. And you didn't have to worry about spilling on it. It's not like you could ruin it.
sugar magnolia

Lani

Post by sugar magnolia »

bill_g wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:59 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:08 pm 2 milk crates and a full length mirror served as our dining table for the first year we were married. We couldn't afford to buy bar stools to eat at the counter and sitting on the floor to eat off the mirror didn't even require chairs.
That must have been a really thick piece of glass!

I brought home a six foot wooden cable reel. Sheets of cardboard smoothed out the top, and bed sheets became the table cloth. I made picnic benches to sit on. Mrs was very happy to get rid of that heavy thing. But the boys couldn't beat it to death. And you didn't have to worry about spilling on it. It's not like you could ruin it.
It was originally attached to something else and was mounted on a piece of wood for the backing. We used it mirror side down. Probably from a dresser or chest.
Lani

Lani

Post by Lani »

Lani wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:30 am Meanwhile, son & partner have an apt now. :dance:

However, they don't have a bed. Just a cot for gf. It's taking awhile for their bed to arrive, so he shows up occasionally to have a nap.

Also, her 11yo cat is was still in my home. Belle & Mocha are happy together. So kinda/sorta things are getting better.
Now they have an apt that accepts a cat. Poor Mocha is sad that he doesn't from a cat friend. I'll have to find a kitten.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Lani

Post by AndyinPA »

Good luck with the kitty! :bighug:
Lani

Lani

Post by Lani »

Lani wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:30 am
Lani wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:30 am Meanwhile, son & partner have an apt now. :dance:

Also, her 11yo cat is was still in my home. Belle & Mocha are happy together. So kinda/sorta things are getting better.
Now they have an apt that accepts a cat. Poor Mocha is sad that he doesn't from a cat friend. I'll have to find a kitten.
I'm enjoying my condo :) Things have changed for Mocha & me. Still, there are boxes for son & partner in my condo, but we're working on it.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Lani

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
June bug

Lani

Post by June bug »

That’s great, Lani! :bighug:
Lani

Lani

Post by Lani »

Mocha wants a cat. I'll try to have a cat for him.
p0rtia

Lani

Post by p0rtia »

You are a good mom. :cat:
June bug

Lani

Post by June bug »

You are indeed.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Lani

Post by neonzx »

Best of luck finding a kitty companion for Mocha. :lovestruck:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Lani

Post by Foggy »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:52 am You are a good mom. :cat:
:fivestar:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”