Architecture - let's talk buildings!

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I hope this is not geo-blocked.

https://www.australiandesignreview.com/ ... emolition/The Lost City of Melbourne captures a rich architectural history before its demolition
A new documentary called The Lost City of Melbourne charts a destructive period in Melbourne’s architectural history when much of its Victorian-era heritage was demolished.

Melbourne was the fastest growing city in the world in the 1850s due in large part to the Gold Rush, becoming more like the bustling cosmopolitan cultural centre it is now.

People would get dressed up in their Sunday best just to ‘Do the Block’ of Collins Street, walking past the expensive boutiques or down to the theatre district on Bourke Street.

Decorated with master craftsmanship, the city’s grand Victorian-era hotels, theatres, cafes and markets reflected the way of life for the well-to-do, as well as the sheer amount of money the local government spent on development.

It was also a reflection of colonialism, with this new city built on the land of the Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung and Bunurong Boon Wurrung peoples, destroying sites of cultural significance to reach that point.

A hundred years later, in the 1950s, the perfect storm of events came together to topple the architecture once again.
Melbourne's architectural heritage, lost and saved, brought to light by self-funded filmmaker
Melbourne filmmaker Gus Berger has a bone to pick with Australia's starry-eyed property developers.

Key points:
A Melbourne filmmaker documents the rise and fall of the city's great cinema houses
Gus Berger hopes the film will strengthen a broader campaign to protect architectural heritage
The filmmaker criticises the trend of facadism, where only the front of a historic building is retained
They can have their sleek city high rises and sprawling chic apartments — just not at the expense of the city's spectacular architectural heritage.

In his self-funded documentary, The Lost City of Melbourne, Mr Berger documents the demise of some of the city's grandest picture palaces after the advent of television brought its golden era of cinema expansion to a crashing end.

It showcases the architectural wonder of scores of theatres dotted from street corner to thoroughfare — all now lost to what some critics have called short-sighted decision making.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I have found that the film is available on SBS OnDemand, Fetch TV, Google Play, Amazon Video, You Tube, Apple TV and DocPlay.

The official site; https://www.thelostcityofmelbourne.org/

I have never heard of DocPlay before today, it seems to be a subscriber oriented documentary channel, I have no idea what it costs, but the film's website says its only for viewing in Australia and New Zealand. I suspect a VPN may solve that issue.
Edit: There's a 14 day free trial for DocPlay - and it looks like there's lots of cool documentary content
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

keith wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:50 pm
A new documentary called The Lost City of Melbourne charts a destructive period in Melbourne’s architectural history when much of its Victorian-era heritage was demolished.
I remember visiting Sydney about 4 years ago -- It was a Fall 2019 R&R from my first tour in the Foreign Service -- and I remember doing a similar museum exhibition and tour there. I may still even have the brochures for it somewhere, which involved attempts to catalog some of the 19th century and earlier architecture and city planning. As an accidental IT guy who was formerly a doctoral student in History wanting to focus on 'urban history' in the late Renaissance to early Modern area, my jam is visiting the exhibits on the histories of cities -- yeah, the general history museums, too, sure, but primarily the ones focused on the architecutre and material culture of how people walked and worked and shopped and socialized.

I get one more R&R out of my current assignment in the Pacific Rim, sometime in mid-to-late February; I'm tossing a coin between heading back to visit friends in London and hitting up Australia again. Maybe this time I'll get further out than Sydney and the Blue Mountains. This Melbourne read is fascinating and I've saved both links to continue reading on my mass transit rides throughout Kuala Lumpur today on this current R&R. Thank you!
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Quickly wanted to add a blatant plug for a specific museum next time anyone is in London. It can be done in 2-3 hours or less. And that's the Clink. Not far from the Globe along the Thames, it is literally the reason we use the phrase 'the clink' as slang for prison. It's a museum dedicated both specifically to the original prison of the Diocese of Winchester from which the term arises; and more generally to the building, architecture, and use of prisons in Medieval & Renaissance England. During my two years in London, I brought most of my guests to it since it can be done as part of a day wandering the South Bank of the Thames and I recommend it highly.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

…And The Anchor pub is just under the bridge to the west - The Globe Theatre being a bit further along.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:09 pm As an accidental IT guy who was formerly a doctoral student in History wanting to focus on 'urban history' in the late Renaissance to early Modern area, my jam is visiting the exhibits on the histories of cities.
Cool! Says the former medieval studies major who had done mostly technical things in his career.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Interesting. Thanks.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”