💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

The 118th Congress with "My Kevin" McCarthy then "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House /Clowns

Post by Frater I*I »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:25 pm As I've heard said, then abortion would be a sacrament.
And available on every street corner...

With drive thru service...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
bob

The 118th Congress with "My Kevin" McCarthy then "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House /Clowns

Post by bob »

WFMJ: Bill Johnson to begin serving as YSU President earlier than expected, resigns from Congress:
Johnson has submitted his resignation from Congress on Tuesday and his term as Congressman will end January 21 with him taking his position as University President the following day.

This is earlier than his projected date of March 15.
Image ImageImage
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

That's 3....

219 to 213.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

How long can we go with a congress that functions slightly less well than a hammer-pounded wristwatch?

There's members that actively assisted the J6ers still in the House. There's ineffective-as-humans like MTG, Goetz and Boebert who are as corrupt as any banana republic politician. The "leader" is an active christofascist, following a Hollywood-script villain trope like that's what it's getting paid to do. The gop senate "leader" is a bought an paid for russian plant who couldn't govern a single dwelling HOA effectively.

And throw into the maelstrom gop governors that reject funding to feed poor kids (Nebraska, Iowa) and others that spend tax payer dollars to fly "llegal immigrants" to cities that didn't ask for them instead of figuring out humane ways of dealing with them.

We don't have a government. We have a bunch of russian-back christofascists elected by mentally defective syncophants.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Johnson's appointment as President has been met with numerous criticism from YSU students, faculty and donors with some criticizing the Univerity Board of Trustees' closed search process, as well as Johnson's lack of higher education experience and comments made regarding "indoctrination" in higher education.
Wow.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:25 pm As I've heard said, then abortion would be a sacrament.
Eh, as soon as having lots of poor people isn't profitable, churches will suddenly discover that they always believed abortion was always godly. Always seems to follow economic needs.. you can almost tell how much of a workforce is needed by how big a sin it is.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Eh, as soon as having lots of poor people isn't profitable, churches will suddenly discover that they always believed abortion was always godly. Always seems to follow economic needs.. you can almost tell how much of a workforce is needed by how big a sin it is.
[/quote]
Yeah, That.png
Yeah, That.png (62.71 KiB) Viewed 76149 times
neeneko wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:40 pm
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Hey, Abortion is legal up to 16 weeks... in Iran. :bored:
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Jim Jordan and James Comer get shut down in effort to block probe of right-wing activist

Sarah K. Burris
January 2, 2024 7:41PM ET

Washington, D.C. Attorney General Brian L. Schwalb sent a letter to Reps. James Comer (R-KY) and Jim Jordan (R-OH) on Tuesday saying that he won't be cooperating with their investigations into conspiracy theories about a far-right judicial activist.

"After thoughtful consideration, I must reiterate what I stated in my prior correspondence of November 13, 2023: our office has a longstanding policy—consistent with the policies of law enforcement agencies across the country—not to confirm, deny, or otherwise comment on potential or pending investigations," explained Schwalb.

The lawmakers sought confirmation of, and documents related to, a "reported effort to investigate Leonard Leo and certain nonprofit organizations with which he is affiliated."

Schwalb explained that refusing to confirm or deny anything preserves the integrity of the investigation.

"Nothing in your latest letter sets forth a persuasive reason for deviating from that principled, well-established policy," said the letter.

He also explained that Congress typically doesn't request any information from federal, state, or local law enforcement from potential or pending investigations.

https://www.rawstory.com/leonard-leo-ja ... er-jordan/
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Okay, if I take a guess at what the above article means, I can sort of work it out. So the Jim's wanted to question the gov't guy so as to mess up the gov't guy's pursuit of a far right unnamed dude?

I guess.

Anybody???
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

From

https://accountable.us/recent-filings-r ... -groups-2/

A new Accountable.US analysis of DonorsTrust’s 2022 990 tax filing reveals that the right-wing “dark money ATM” closely tied to conservative kingpin Leonard Leo bankrolled a number of Southern Poverty Law Center-designated hate groups. The filing shows that DonorsTrust funneled over $250,000 to six hate groups in 2022, including the Family Research Council, David Horowitz Freedom Center, and Thomas More Law Center.

As the right-wing 'dark money ATM,' it’s no surprise DonorsTrust dumped hundreds of thousands of dollars into known radical hate groups. DonorsTrust has become infamous as a massive war chest for the far-right’s most extreme causes."

ACCOUNTABLE.US PRESIDENT CAROLINE CICCONE
Accountable.US’s review of DonorsTrust’s 2022 tax filing revealed that it funneled $257,600 to six organizations designated as hate groups by the Southern Poverty Law Center:

$142,000 to the David Horowitz Freedom Center, which has run “a network of projects giving anti-Muslim voices and radical ideologies a platform to project hate and misinformation.”
$34,500 to the VDARE Foundation, a white nationalist hate group that provides “a pseudo-intellectual veneer to classic racism” and whose founder Peter Brimelow “believes that diversity has weakened the United States.”
$30,000 to the Thomas More Law Center, an extremist group which has worked to overturn federal hate crimes law.
$20,000 to No Left Turn in Education, an anti-government hate group that helped lead the new, increasingly coordinated movement against critical race theory in schools.
$20,000 to the Center for Immigration Studies, an anti-immigrant hate group which “has a decades-long history of circulating racist writers, while also associating with white nationalists.”
$11,100 to the Family Research Council, an anti-LGBTQ hate group which has used “junk science” to fight against LGBTQ equality.
DonorsTrust is closely tied to Leonard Leo’s dark money network. The group’s 2022 filing revealed a nearly 30% increase in total giving — with millions more directed to key far-right groups in Leo’s network.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

House Majority Leader Steve Scalise to undergo stem cell transplant

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/05/politics ... index.html
House Majority Leader Steve Scalise will undergo a stem cell transplant, his office announced on Friday, which is expected to keep him out of Washington and working remotely until February.

In August 2023, the Louisiana Republican announced that he had been diagnosed with a form of blood cancer and had started treatment.

At the start of the new year, Republicans control just 220 seats while Democrats control 213, a narrow majority that means the House GOP can afford only a few defections on party-line priorities. That majority is poised to shrink even further by the end of the month with Ohio GOP Rep. Bill Johnson set to resign on January 21 to take a new job as president of Youngstown State University.

“Last month, Leader Scalise successfully completed induction chemotherapy and had a positive response. It has now been determined he is eligible for an autologous stem cell transplant,” the statement from Scalise’s office said.

The statement went on to say, “He is currently undergoing the transplant process, marking a significant milestone in his battle against cancer. Once the procedure is completed, he will be recovering under the supervision of his medical team and will work remotely until returning to Washington next month.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Good for him, and the best of luck. Hubs never made it to that point. They were going to assess him for the transplant and the appointments were made but then he started going downhill fast.

To be fair, AML is a much more devious leukemia than Scalise has, but there's no such thing as a good leukemia. I truly wish him the best.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

The Disastrous 118th Congress - "My Kevin" McCarthy "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, House Speaker /Clowns

Post by Volkonski »

Newsom announces special election to fill McCarthy’s seat

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/08/politics ... index.html
A special election to replace former Rep. Kevin McCarthy following the speaker’s resignation last month will be held on May 21, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Monday.

The primary for the special election is set for March 19, the governor said.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The Disastrous 118th Congress - "My Kevin" McCarthy "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, House Speaker /Clowns

Post by RTH10260 »

House Republicans to consider holding Hunter Biden in contempt of Congress
Representatives James Comer and Jim Jordan released resolution over Biden’s refusal to comply with subpoena for private testimony

Martin Pengelly in Washington
Wed 10 Jan 2024 14.00 CET

Republicans on the US House oversight committee will on Wednesday consider a resolution to hold Hunter Biden in contempt of Congress over his refusal to comply with a subpoena for testimony.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... epublicans
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:53 am
House Republicans to consider holding Hunter Biden in contempt of Congress
Representatives James Comer and Jim Jordan released resolution over Biden’s refusal to comply with subpoena for private testimony

Martin Pengelly in Washington
Wed 10 Jan 2024 14.00 CET

Republicans on the US House oversight committee will on Wednesday consider a resolution to hold Hunter Biden in contempt of Congress over his refusal to comply with a subpoena for testimony.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... epublicans
Great. Now do Gym Jordan, et al.
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Oh my, I came late to the show, but what a wild one. Two committees getting ready to vote on contempt of Congress for Hunter and guess who shows up unannounced? Chaos reigned, I only caught the last of Raskin's five minutes, but it seems like the other side was interrupting and shouting him down (could be wrong since I didn't actually see it). Nancy Mace came up next and she was talking all kinds of vile things directly to Hunter (who was not in the witness chair, but the audience). Then came Moskowitz (love him), and he said he'd vote for the contempt charge referral IF they also voted to refer all those subpoenas from the J6 Committee, Meadows, Jordan, Perry, et al and he asked for those subpoenas to be entered into the record.

MTG was ready to go and Hunter and attorneys left and CNN cameras left the room and followed Hunter while MTG was sputtering something about him being afraid of CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN WOMEN!!!
Edit: Thanks RTH, you snuck in with the video when I left my post in progress to get coffee :bag:
raison de arizona

Mace testifies to Hunter's lack of balls. I guess. Bunch a nimrods iffn ya ask me.
The Recount @therecount wrote: “You are the epitome of white privilege, coming into the Oversight Committee, spitting in our face, ignoring a congressional subpoena to be deposed. What are you afraid of? You have no balls.”

— Rep. Nancy Mace (R-SC) to Hunter Biden in the audience at House Oversight hearing
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

The democrats asked that hunter be allowed to testify right then and there and the Republicans rejected it
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

He spit in their face yet he has no balls?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Just because I know we are all big fans here...
MeidasTouch @MeidasTouch wrote: Oh my god Jasmine Crockett just went nuclear on them 👏
raison de arizona

Congratulations are in order!
https://x.com/SeanCasten/status/1745092 ... 16437?s=20
Sean Casten @SeanCasten wrote: Every Congressional session we get a new pin - it's our ID on the floor for the next 2 years. Today we're getting a new pin, half way through the term because the @HouseGOP didn't like the color. Big congrats to them on their first tangible accomplishment of the 118th.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Let me guess, the old ones are blue and the new ones will support the ex-KGB sultan in Moskva.
:oldman:
You are what you eat.
Last night I was a chicken quesadilla.
raison de arizona

Moskowitz is embracing his inner smurf.
Background (Comer calls Moskowitz a smurf):
► Show Spoiler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Looks like we may get another new Speaker in a couple of weeks.

MAGA Turns on Speaker Mike Johnson

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-johnson-s ... ns-1859430
Writing on X, formerly Twitter, one user said Johnson was "bending a knee to Schumer."

Political commentator Gunther Eagleman suggested a motion be filed to vacate the chair because of the spending deal.

"F*** it, if @SpeakerJohnson pushes the $1.6T spending bill through Congress, I say someone should file a motion to vacate the chair... Again," Eagleman wrote.

Return to “Current Politics”