2023. Mayest thee get forked, by Jove.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

This year, I got several ear infections, got a huge agonizing infection on my face, got several abscesses on my Teeth, when I Drank I had liquid drool from the side of my mouth as part of my face was paralyzed from an Operation I had in September, had my flat burn down, and got a horrible foot infection.

I then had to spend 5 and a half months living with my mother (so far) because a company that was contracted to make new windows for my flat did so! And left them for 3 months in their warehouse without installing them. Then they delivered them the Friday before Christmas, after making a written undertaking that they would install them on the previous Monday. And didn't install them, left them sitting on the floor in my flat and forked off for the Christmas Holiday. I am breathlessly waiting for them to install one window in 2 months or so. And then another one in another 2 months.

The thing is that the rest of the flat cannot be completed until the windows go in as it has to be sealed.

And I've just recovered from a very nasty Stomach bug that had me bedridden for 2 days.

So, how was your 2023?
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Dave Barrys "humorous" review of the US year in Politics. To be fair its not too bad, quite funny in places, and it's accurate to the timeline.

Example:
Speaking of alarming developments, in...
OCTOBER

...conflict erupts between two bitter foes, ancient enemies whose intractable hatred for each other has defied all efforts to resolve the historic differences between them: House Republicans and other House Republicans.

The trouble starts when a renegade group of eight GOP representatives, guided by political strategist Dottie Weisenflanker, join with the Democrats to oust Kevin McCarthy as speaker, thereby negating the only solid legislative achievement the House Republicans have managed to pull off this year. They then proceed with Phase Two of their shrewd master plan, which is: They have no earthly idea.
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/dave-barry-re ... 00295.html
Hic sunt dracones
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Dave Berry has been snarkily accurate and consistently funny for over 3 decades.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Suranis wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:03 pm So, how was your 2023?
Wow! That's a rough ride. If there were awards for Worst Year, you'd be a contender. (pour) Here's to the shining promise of a New Year for you. Salud! (gulp)(slam)

I must compliment you on being succinct, focused, and still write a word picture that fills the imagination with a clear image. Thank you!
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Damn JJ! Whatever happened to the Luck of the Irish? If I we're there I'd be standing on my tippy toes giving your neck a big hug :bighug:
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Ya, not the bestest of years. Mr Heart Attack visited, landlord selling the house from under us, met the MTG of the Wake County NC family court judges, only sister passing.

Naw, 2023 can go fark itself. With a chainsaw.

Oh, and my Fogbow Fantasy Football Team set awesome records for futility and consistently poor performance. Woot!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I had four major operations on my shoulders, and I only have two shoulders. I vomited myself into the ER for Easter Sunday and had to self-discharge against medical advice, and had to get an echo cardiogram, an endoscopy, a colonoscopy, a frontal lobotomy and a brain replacement before it was over. My house caught fire, but I put it out while the firemen were coming, and we fixed the damage in a few weeks. My dad was hospitalized three times and forced to abandon his apartment.

My football team was 6-0 and 9th in the rankings, and we fell apart and lost 5 of the last 6 and finished 7-5.

Exciting year, though. :bored: :roll:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I mentioned it in Hijack, but it's worth repeating that today is Consecutive Day. 12/31/23

It's celebrated as Lawrence Welk Day in Minnesota, North Dakota, and much of Wisconsin. (an a 1 an a 2 ...)

And without futher adieu -

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Compared to other years, 2023 wasn't so bad for me. I did have a very dear sister-in-law pass away in April (5 years to the day after my husband had passed away). But that also meant that I spent a lot of time with my Seattle sister (SIL was her wife), both in Seattle and here in Minnesota.

I'm really looking forward to 2024. My brother lives an hour south of me and he has four daughters. Daughter #2 is expecting identical twin girls in April. Daughter #3 is getting married in June. And Daughter #4 is graduating from college in May - cello performance major - and has applied to 7 graduate schools. So far 3 have asked her to come and audition. It's just so much fun to see how their lives are going! Oh, and a nephew's step daughter is getting married in May, so I'll go to that Iowa wedding. This is SO much better than the pandemic isolation years!

Return to “General Stuff”