Sanctions and Support

AndyinPA
Verified:

Sanctions and Support

Post by AndyinPA »

I don't eat much candy anymore, but I love those!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
humblescribe
Verified:

Sanctions and Support

Post by humblescribe »

What, no horehound?
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
MN-Skeptic

Sanctions and Support

Post by MN-Skeptic »

humblescribe wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:24 pm What, no horehound?
That’s a candy my mom liked. I haven’t thought about it in years.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Sanctions and Support

Post by poplove »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:57 pm
My dad did too!
Dave from down under

Sanctions and Support

Post by Dave from down under »

A nice way to ask for more.. :clap:
(Thales may or may not have been involved in the request :shh: )

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-13/ ... /102209284

With AC/DC's Back in Black blaring, and large macho-looking font exclaiming "how great these rigs are", Ukraine is ramping up its attempts to get Australia's attention.

Key points:
Ukraine has called on Australia to send its Hawkei protected mobility vehicles to the battlefield
The light armoured four-wheel-drive is designed and built at the Thales factory in Bendigo
The vehicle would complement the larger Australian-made Bushmaster already being used in Ukraine

After the effectiveness and popularity of the Australian-made Bushmaster armoured personal carriers, Ukraine's ministry of defence has released a social media video calling for its new military "crush".

"Our soldiers absolutely love Australian Bushmasters. But now they have a new crush: the Hawkei," the defence ministry tweeted.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Sanctions and Support

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

poplove wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:22 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:57 pm
My dad did too!
My dad loved horehound candy. I still don't know why. :confuzzled:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Sanctions and Support

Post by Volkonski »

From sunglasses to milking machines, US halts more exports to Russia

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-commer ... 023-05-19/
The Biden administration halted the export of a wide range of consumer goods to Russia on Friday and added 71 companies to a trade blacklist, as the Group of Seven wealthy nations announced new sanctions on Moscow over its war in Ukraine.

The new curbs targeted items that can be used to help Russia's military, including items used in daily life like clothes dryers, snow plows and milking machines, which the U.S. thinks could be repurposed to support Moscow's war machine.

"You can't even ship contact lenses or sunglasses now," said Washington lawyer Kevin Wolf, a former U.S. Commerce department official, as he reviewed the new rules. Wolf said "it would be simpler to describe the items that are not controlled for export to Russia."

The blacklisted companies include 69 Russian entities, one from Armenia and one from Kyrgyzstan. They were added to the Commerce Department's "Entity List," primarily for supporting Russia's military and defense sectors, making it even harder to ship any goods to them.

The targeted companies include aircraft repair and parts production plants, gunpowder, tractor and automobile factories, shipyards and engineering centers in Russia.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dave from down under

Sanctions and Support

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-08/ ... /102448688

Aryna Sabalenka has been on the end of a thrashing she usually reserves for on-court opponents as the tennis media and Ukrainian players demanded for months the 25-year-old Australian Open champion denounce the war in Ukraine.

She has done so now, and in no uncertain terms — that decision and subsequent statement could come with serious repercussions for the Belarusian star.

Not only did Sabalenka say she does not support the war, she also hit out against Belarusian strongman President Alexander Lukashenko, a staunch ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"I don't support the war," Sabalenka said

"I don't support war, meaning I don't support [Belarus President] Alexander Lukashenko right now."
Dave from down under

Sanctions and Support

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-08/ ... /102452394

Kyiv has assured the White House that it would not deploy second-hand Australian warplanes into Russian airspace if dozens of the retired F/A-18s are transferred to Ukraine.

Key points:
The sale of any F/A-18 Classic Hornets has to be approved by the White House as they have American intellectual property
If approved, the transfer would be Australia's largest-ever single transfer of military equipment to a foreign power
The F/A-18 fleet was retired by the RAAF in 2021 after nearly four decades of service

High-level international negotiations are continuing between Australia, Ukraine, and the United States over the fate of the decommissioned fighter aircraft, in what could become this country's largest-ever single transfer of military equipment to a foreign power.

The Royal Australian Air Force's fleet of Boeing "Classic" Hornets were retired in late 2021 after almost 40 years of service, which included bombing missions in the Middle East against Islamic State.
p0rtia

Sanctions and Support

Post by p0rtia »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:13 am https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-08/ ... /102448688

Aryna Sabalenka has been on the end of a thrashing she usually reserves for on-court opponents as the tennis media and Ukrainian players demanded for months the 25-year-old Australian Open champion denounce the war in Ukraine.

She has done so now, and in no uncertain terms — that decision and subsequent statement could come with serious repercussions for the Belarusian star.

Not only did Sabalenka say she does not support the war, she also hit out against Belarusian strongman President Alexander Lukashenko, a staunch ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"I don't support the war," Sabalenka said

"I don't support war, meaning I don't support [Belarus President] Alexander Lukashenko right now."
Bravo, Aryna. :notworthy:

I'm quite a fan of hers; been watching her assume the mantel of Grand Slam winner who is pretty much unbeatable unless your name is Iga Swiatek.

The tennis players are in a tough spot--the sport has made uneven moves to ban Russian players at some of the majors, and to show its disapproval by refusing to identify Russian players as Russian by banning the little flags next to their names on the TV graphics. IMO: better than nothing.

Speaking of Iga Swiatek--the current tennis superstar, an unasssuming and painfully awkward young woman from Poland (not a tennis hotbed) -- she wears a tiny blue and yellow ribbon pinned to her cap over her right ear.

Aryna has done good.
Uninformed

Sanctions and Support

Post by Uninformed »

I hope, as is probable, that Ukraine doesn’t overly depend on the Uk. One Grant Shapps has been appointed Secretary of State for Defence. An ever dependable, but incompetent and plausibly corrupt, yes man, he has shown his lack of expertise in a possibly unmatched variety of positions:

Minister of State for Housing and Local Government
Minister without portfolio
Conservative Party co-chairman
Minister of State for International Development
Secretary of State for Transport
Home Secretary
Business Secretary
Energy Secretary
Secretary of State for Defence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Shapps
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Dave from down under

Sanctions and Support

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-01/ ... /102803456

A man has been charged with seeking to export US-made electronics to Russia for military use.

Key points:

Mr Petrov allegedly used a Cyprus cover company to sell microcontrollers and integrated circuits
The alleged buyer was a Russian company who supplies tech for Russia's weapons makers
Mr Petrov could face up to 20 years in prison if found guilty
Russia-German man Arthur Petrov was arrested this week in Cyprus, accused of scheming to procure US microelectronics for a Russian firm which provides "critical electronics components" to the Russian military.

The US Department of Justice said the 33-year-old violated export controls.

Mr Petrov and two unnamed Russian co-conspirators allegedly used a cover company in Cyprus, telling US vendors electronics were to be used there or other authorised countries for fire security systems, the Justice Department said.

He allegedly sought to buy microcontrollers and integrated circuits which Mr Petrov knew could not be lawfully exported to Russia, the department alleged.

The alleged buyer of these goods was a Saint Petersburg company named Electrocom VPK, which supplies electronic components for Russia's weapons makers.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Sanctions and Support

Post by keith »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Sanctions and Support

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess there will be some support far behind the front lines and outside of the major cities, preventing casualities. Like army medical facilities. Surely there will be supporting advisory staff to use the Patriot air defense and the new arrival of F-16 fighter aircrafts.
Dave from down under

Sanctions and Support

Embassy marines
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Sanctions and Support

Post by Ben-Prime »

Dave from down under wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:20 pm Embassy marines
A Marine Security Guard tour is usually 12 months, 18 for the detachment commander. But it ain't impossible.

On the Medic thing, though, I'm a tad confused. 'Marine' Medics are Navy Hospital Corpsmen who deploy with the Marines, last I checked. So one could not be a Navy Corpsman and serve with an MSG unit to my knowledge.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Sanctions and Support

Post by keith »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:13 am
A Marine Security Guard tour is usually 12 months, 18 for the detachment commander. But it ain't impossible.

On the Medic thing, though, I'm a tad confused. 'Marine' Medics are Navy Hospital Corpsmen who deploy with the Marines, last I checked. So one could not be a Navy Corpsman and serve with an MSG unit to my knowledge.
I cannot relieve your confusion. I have related 100% of the information that I received from my sister this morning - except he seems to be suffering from the 'I don't wanna talk about it syndrome' - whether under orders or under trauma I don't know.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Sanctions and Support

Post by Ben-Prime »

keith wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:45 am
Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:13 am

I cannot relieve your confusion. I have related 100% of the information that I received from my sister this morning - except he seems to be suffering from the 'I don't wanna talk about it syndrome' - whether under orders or under trauma I don't know.
Don't doubt it. It's just a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, shelled like a peanut. :biggrin:
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Sanctions and Support

Post by Mr brolin »

It is eminently possible that Army, Navy, Marine and Air force peeos would be boots on ground, in limited numbers, performing non military duties, everything from

Admin duties involved in handing over "Weapons of War" to a 3rd paty (wars may come, wars may go but the bureaucracy goes on forever).
Security as part of the handover of "stuff", usually at the Poland-Ukraine border, sometimes legitimately further in country
Review of and validation of intelligence or performance of equipment and people using it
General assistance/guidance in logistics, something the US military is very good at and other countries aren't as good at, bullets and boots and bombs and beans

Or more, less or none of the above....... :eek: ;) 8-) :twisted:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Sanctions and Support

Post by Slim Cognito »

My son was a Navy corpsman embedded with the marines in Iraq during the Ramadi/ Fallujah push. When I tried to explain to people that he was a Navy medic embedded with Marines, some people insisted that he was actually a marine but he was not. He did have to go through marine boot camp but technically he was always Navy.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260

Sanctions and Support

Post by RTH10260 »

keith wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:45 am :snippity:

Do not want to elicit details from you, just express my gut feeling: the US is supporting Ukraine with far behind the front line medical facilities to treat heavily wounded Ukranian soldiers. What he may have observed is among the more drastic injuries not seen in training while not in a conflict zone.
RTH10260

Sanctions and Support

Post by RTH10260 »

Russian Airlines $12 Billion Disaster as Sanctions Force Russia into Plane Stripping & Subsidies

Joe Blogs
28 Dec 2023

RUSSIA is the largest country in the world, in terms of its geographical size, and is dependent upon air travel. Following the invasion of Ukraine the two biggest aircraft manufacturers, Boeing and Airbus, applied sanctions against Russia which meant that Russia was no longer able to buy planes, parts, technology or maintenance directly. This has caused major problems within Russia as more than 75% of of all of the aircraft in Russia at the start of the war were made by Boeing and Airbus and the global airline industry is dominated by these two manufacturers. Russia has therefore been forced to scrap old planes for parts, fund purchases from the black market and is now attempting to scale up its own aircraft manufacturing industry. In this video I provide more details of the issues that Russia is facing and discuss the implications for the Russian Economy.

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Sanctions and Support

Post by Foggy »

... and is now attempting to scale up its own aircraft manufacturing industry.
That's not gonna fit.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
RTH10260

Sanctions and Support

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:57 pm
... and is now attempting to scale up its own aircraft manufacturing industry.
That's not gonna fit.
All those CNC machines that are waiting for western computer chips :bored:

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”