💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

The 118th Congress with "My Kevin" McCarthy then "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House /Clowns

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:06 pm
Estiveo wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:52 am Comer remarked that when he gives money to his kids, he doesn't expect it back. Of course, his kids aren't grown ass adults yet. I couldn't find ages for them, but his oldest daughter looks close to 18 maybe.

Also, he named his kids Reagan, Harlan, and Anniston, for the love of doG, which should be an impeachable offense.
Yes, impeach Biden because he didn't just GIVE his 40something child an $80k truck :lol:
https://xitter.com/Acyn/status/1731833504063803821?s=20
Acyn @Acyn wrote: Comer: When my son needs help or my daughter I just give her money, nobody ever pays me back
He gives em handouts? Fuck em I say. Let em get a job and stop living off the public teat.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The 118th Congress with "My Kevin" McCarthy then "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House /Clowns

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:50 am Would the DOJ not already have access to unredacted versions of these videos?
:rimshot:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

But it is important for the GOP to at least protect their storm truppen by blurring the footage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... hy-retire/
Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), the former House speaker who was ousted from his position in October in a revolt by hard-right members, will not seek reelection to his congressional seat and will retire from Congress at the end of this month, he announced Wednesday.
Keeping up with politics is easy with The 5-Minute Fix Newsletter, in your inbox weekdays.

“I have decided to depart the House at the end of this year to serve America in new ways,” McCarthy said in a Wall Street Journal op-ed. “I know my work is only getting started.”

McCarthy’s retirement will bring to an end a 16-year House career that saw him quickly rise through the ranks of Republican leadership, culminating with his stint as speaker. His ouster marked the first time in history that the House voted to remove its leader, a move that threw the chamber into a period of instability.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Oh, Keven*, taking your ball and going home now?

*Change Approved!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

That brings the house majority down to how many people?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:46 am That brings the house majority down to how many people?
I believe it was four, minus Santos and now McCarthy will be two. I think there are a couple more shoes to drop here as well.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I think California has to have a special election. He's likely in a very safe seat, but no idea how long before the election will be.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Bill Johnson is leaving to take a University president job as well, that will take them down to a -gasp- one vote majority.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

Good riddance to toxic and criminal rubbish.

Moar, please.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Remember these?

Young guns.

:rotflmao:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:36 pm Bill Johnson is leaving to take a University president job as well, that will take them down to a -gasp- one vote majority.
Pretty sure those aren't the numbers.

Max is 435

Dems are (hopefully) solid at 213

Reps recently filled a vacancy, and were a 222.

With Santos (gone), McCarthy (Jan), and Bill Johnson ("soon") that brings them down to 219, for a couple of months.

So they can afford to lose two votes (217 to 215). Three votes presents the possibility of a tie (216 to 216).
bob

Post by bob »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:11 pm I think California has to have a special election. He's likely in a very safe seat, but no idea how long before the election will be.
California will have a special election in March (the primary for the remainder of Feinstein's seat). I suspect that, in McCarthy's district, that is when his constituents also will vote in the primary for his seat.

With his district's special general election being in June.

McCarthy's district is very red. The March primary will determine which flavor of Republican will take McCarthy's seat.
Image ImageImage
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

CA Fogbowzers: Special election to fill McCarthy's seat? Any possibility Bakersfield area could go Dem?
bob

Post by bob »

SuzieC wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:12 pm CA Fogbowzers: Special election to fill McCarthy's seat? Any possibility Bakersfield area could go Dem?
No.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

p0rtia wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:07 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:36 pm Bill Johnson is leaving to take a University president job as well, that will take them down to a -gasp- one vote majority.

Max is 435

With Santos (gone), McCarthy (Jan), and Bill Johnson ("soon") that brings them down to 219, for a couple of months.

So they can afford to lose two votes (217 to 215). Three votes presents the possibility of a tie (216 to 216).
Math is hard. I don't know how it works and I'm getting the same numbers you are, but reporting all over is saying they now have a three vote majority, minus McCathry, minus Bill Johnson would be one, no? But the math doesn't work for that so I dunno how they are figuring.

Example, BBC:
With Mr Santos out, there are now 221 Republicans and 213 Democrats in the chamber. On any party-line vote, Republicans can only afford to lose three on their own side.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67594903

Halp!
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

221-3=218
213+3=216
If they lose 4 votes, it's a tie at 217. I'm assuming they are counting only a "clean" win and not a tie.
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:41 pm 221-3=218
213+3=216
If they lose 4 votes, it's a tie at 217. I'm assuming they are counting only a "clean" win and not a tie.
So if Rs lose two more (which they likely are), then it would be:
219-2=217
213+2=215
Yes? So they can only afford two defections. I thinks.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I think so far they haven't been able to pass anything with help from the Dems because of their crazy caucus, so I'm not sure how much the numbers technically matter. I'm not positive on that, though.
raison de arizona

The Lord had Johnson step forward to be Moses. The Lord told him so.
Right Wing Watch @RightWingWatch wrote: Mike Johnson told a gathering of Christian nationalists last night that weeks before he became House Speaker, "the Lord told me very clearly" to prepare to become a "Moses" who will lead the nation through a "Red Sea moment." https://bit.ly/3Ni4oZH
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:03 pm The Lord had Johnson step forward to be Moses. The Lord told him so.
https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/stat ... 02649?s=20
Right Wing Watch @RightWingWatch wrote: Mike Johnson told a gathering of Christian nationalists last night that weeks before he became House Speaker, "the Lord told me very clearly" to prepare to become a "Moses" who will lead the nation through a "Red Sea moment." https://bit.ly/3Ni4oZH
I hope your faith is strong and the Republican voters waters will not close upon you ....

NADT
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:28 pm
p0rtia wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:07 pm

Max is 435

Math is hard. I don't know how it works and I'm getting the same numbers you are, but reporting all over is saying they now have a three vote majority, minus McCathry, minus Bill Johnson would be one, no? But the math doesn't work for that so I dunno how they are figuring.

Example, BBC:
With Mr Santos out, there are now 221 Republicans and 213 Democrats in the chamber. On any party-line vote, Republicans can only afford to lose three on their own side.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67594903

Halp!
BBC is (of course) correct. As are you! Start with 221 (post Santos) Rs and 213 Ds (which is a combined 434 filled seats and one vacancy [Santos]). If 3 Rs decide to vote with the Ds, that makes 216 votes for the D side, and 218 votes for the R side, so the Rs still have control. So the Rs can "afford" to lose those 3 votes. But no more! Because if 4 Rs vote with the 213 Ds, that makes 217 votes for the D side, and leaves 217 for the R side. (221 minus 4). A tie. No control for the Rs. So 221 to 213 is a "3 vote margin".

If there are only 219 Republicans (post Santos, McCarthy, and Johnson), and those same three Rs decide to vote with the Dems, The Rs are down to 216 and the Ds go up to 216. A tie. No control for the Rs. So, the R's can only "afford" to lose 2 votes to the Ds, which would make it 217 to 215. A "2 vote margin."

I have not seen an explanation of the "1 vote margin" various mediaites and politicians have mentioned.
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:03 pm The Lord had Johnson step forward to be Moses. The Lord told him so.
This guy is so straight looking that I'm suspicious. Wait 'til he finds out the theocracy he's hoping for is actually gonna be a Trumpocracy.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .

Return to “Current Politics”