INDICTED (INDICATED) #3 USA v Donald Trump - Judge Tanya Chutkan - #J6 Election Interference, Fake Electors - Jack Smith

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

INDICTED (INDICATED) #3 USA v Donald Trump - Judge Tanya Chutkan - #J6 Election Interference, Fake Electors - Jack Smith

Post by Maybenaut »

(he constantly answered simple hypotheticals by saying things like "We never suggested that this was the case.")
Lawyers who regularly engage in appellate practice understand that the appellate court is thinking, not just about this case, but how their decision would be applied to future cases, and they’re looking for the edges.

It doesn’t matter that your facts are different. If you want to do your client any good at all, you answer the hypothetical.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks, Maybe :bighug:

One of the judges actually explained this to Sauer, but it didn't make him stop. She raised her voice and was short with him at least three times over this issue. He actually argued with her that he would need to know the parameters of the hypothetical. She said, "I just gave them to you! That's all you need." Crazy.
much ado

Post by much ado »

I always like it when Trump lawyers piss off the judges.

Gives me warm feelings...
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

IANAL but I see two issues:

1. The case the DoJ was arguing - Gentile - was about the lawyers in that case, not the defendant. In that case, the lawyers got muzzled. It was never the defendant because he wasn't the one running his mouth. Normally, attorneys - gag order or not - counsel their client to stfu until trial. But this is Trump, so nothing is normal. It's my understanding that there aren't rules/laws about gagging the defendant bc it's not something that really happens. As usual, trump wrecking norms that we never knew we needed laws about.

2. Most - or at lease very few defendants in criminal cases - have huge online audiences. While witness intimidation is nothing new - I'd say it's usually a private affair: a phone call; strong arm guys from the mob paying you a visit; threats through a third party. In this case, tfg has social media - he makes his threats in broad daylight. There seems to be a reluctance to recognize crimes (esp with tfg) when they're done in the open, rather than in the dark, wearing a mask, covertly finagling the books, etc. I think the "system" is having a hard time grappling with witness tampering/threats when they're right out there for all to see. Exception: SBF got thrown in the slammer when he sent notes from Caroline Ellison - a cooperating witness/indictee - to the NYT. (NB: Idk if the NYT published that stuff, but the judge called it witness intimidation).
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Rolodex wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:14 pm IANAL but I see two issues:

1. The case the DoJ was arguing - Gentile - was about the lawyers in that case, not the defendant.
:snippity:

2. Most - or at lease very few defendants in criminal cases - have huge online audiences. While witness intimidation is nothing new -
Those are both good points. See my next post.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Teri Kanefield, a very experienced appellate defender, has some of the best commentary on Trump litigation.

Unlike most of the former government attorneys who are popular online, she is not a cheerleader for the prosecution. (Tristan Snell, a former assistant NY Attorney General who had a substantial role in New York State's civil action against Trump University, but little to no experience with criminal prosecution, is about as bad as it gets. I sympathize with his political views, but his analysis and predictions are mostly worthless. Even former federal prosecutors like Andrew Weissmann and Harry Litman, who do have substantial high-level experience with relevant federal white-collar prosecutions, and whose comments are more insightful, sometimes let their understandable disgust for Trump cloud their analysis.)

Here are Kanefield's thoughts on today's oral argument before the D.C. Circuit.

https://law-and-politics.online/@Teri_K ... 4724338434
Is anyone listening to the oral arguments in the appellate court about the Trump gag order in the D.C. case?

https://www.youtube.com/USCourtsCADC

Right now the appellate court is asking about Trump naming witnesses who are not public figures and the interest of the trial court to protect the integrity of the trial.

This is a place where the gag order is strongest.

They are discussing which test should apply.

/1

Here is what is gong on:: There is a gap in the law. The court has to devise a test because there isn't one.

There is no legal test because in the past, it was the lawyers who had to be silenced.

No defendant has challenged the routine gag orders that are applied.

The difference is an important one: Lawyers can be silenced because they are officers of the court and different rules apply to them.

The appellate court wants to come up with a test that will withstand SCOTUS scrutiny.

/2

The Court is now trying to figure out how to revise the gag order to take care of vagueness and prior restraint issues.

Reading the tea leaves: The Court seems to be acknowledging that there are portions of the gag order that need to be tweaked to address vagueness and issues of prior restraint.

The court keeps talking about "prophylactic remedies," which gets us to prior restraints, which are problematic, which is why this is going on and on.
3/

Hypothetical: It is public record that Pence is going to testify the next day. Can Trump tweet out, "Pence can still do the right thing if he says the right stuff tomorrow."

Court: Is this communicating with the witness?

Sauer said "no"

OH MY. Yikes. He won't give an inch.

The government lawyer is up, and he is also talking too fast. (Signs of overpreparing?)

They're talking about court staff, which is an easier issue.

4/

The reality is that the panel of justices probably drafted their opinion and they are right now poking the lawyers to see where their decision might be weak.

They're also pressing the government lawyer as hard as they pressed Sauer.

Also, the judge did throw in earlier that there are strong First Amendment protections for Trump.

Now they're talking about Trump naming the special prosecutor himself, which is more difficult under the First Amendment because he's a public figure.

5/

The issue here is that the word "target" in the gag order is too vague when applied to the prosecutors, who are public figures.

Actually, the government is also staking out an extreme position which is that if Trump thinks that the prosecutor is politically biased, he can file a motion but can't say it in the media.

(Nope. Public officials can't shield themselves from criticism)

Reading the tea leaves, it appears that the gag order will stand, but with numerous modifications.

6/

Tea leaves: The word "target" is too vague.

More tea leaves: Public figures will be excluded.

Now the issue is whether line prosecutors are public figures.

Next issue: What about witnesses who are also public figures? What if they are writing books about Trump? Is it fair to say Trump can't respond?

The standard the government is offering right now might be too vague.

The DA suggest that Trump should be limited to what other defendants could say, but he's the first to challenge it.

7/

I hope anyone listening comes away at least with this: These issues are not easy or straightforward.

Almost all the issues Trump raises in court are silly or without basis.'

This is probably the first issue I have seen Trump raise in court that is not a slam dunk in the Trump Will Lose Department.

The court pointed out (subtly through a question) that there is something wrong with the idea that the moment an indictment is filed, a defendant loses First Amendment rights.

8/

Aside: The fact that something has happened for years doesn't make it right.

Right now the judge is pointing out what I said in this blog post:

https://terikanefield.com/trump-gag-ord ... mplicated/

The judge: Most criminal defendants choose not to speak. They listen to counsel and shut up.

This defendant wants to speak.

The Gentile case they are talking about was one in which the lawyers were speaking out of line, the court then shut everyone up, but the defendant never wanted to speak.

9/

Someone asked: "what sort of criteria could be used to determine whether the line prosecutors are public figures?"

No doubt, Jack Smith is a public figure.

As far as the standard, I just did a quick search through New York Times v. Sullivan for an answer, and it appears that a person who has a "place in the government hierarchy" is a public figure.

So that would include line prosecutors.

But the court right now has to create law where there isn't one, so it isn't clear what it will do.

10/
I don't agree with Kanefield's conclusion that line prosecutors have a "place in the government hierarchy" for purposes of determining that they are First Amendment public figures. The bottom of a hierarchy may be a "place" for some purposes, but I think that the test requires some significant supervisory seniority. But aside from that, her analysis seems strong.
bob

Post by bob »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:09 pm The judges were awesome. I think they will uphold a lot of the (not a) gag order, but not all of it.
"For completeness," the panel was Millett (Obama nominee), Pillard (same), and Garcia (Biden nominee). (The same panel that issued the temporary stay earlier.)
Image ImageImage
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

chancery wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:50 pm Teri Kanefield, a very experienced appellate defender, has some of the best commentary on Trump litigation.

Unlike most of the former government attorneys who are popular online, she is not a cheerleader for the prosecution. (Tristan Snell, a former assistant NY Attorney General who had a substantial role in New York State's civil action against Trump University, but little to no experience with criminal prosecution, is about as bad as it gets. I sympathize with his political views, but his analysis and predictions are mostly worthless. Even former federal prosecutors like Andrew Weissmann and Harry Litman, who do have substantial high-level experience with relevant federal white-collar prosecutions, and whose comments are more insightful, sometimes let their understandable disgust for Trump cloud their analysis.)

I don't agree with Kanefield's conclusion that line prosecutors have a "place in the government hierarchy" for purposes of determining that they are First Amendment public figures. The bottom of a hierarchy may be a "place" for some purposes, but I think that the test requires some significant supervisory seniority. But aside from that, her analysis seems strong.
I subscribe to Kanefield, but this hadn't come across my emails yet. I think she mostly posts on Mastedon which I don't h have. I really do appreciate her point of view and easy to understand explanations.

I was listening to the hearing online, but missed parts of it as I was mixing and baking a cake so there were kitchen noises. It was really interesting. [I've misplaced my earbuds, so I just had my laptop speakers on which were no match for the Kitchen Aid]

I absolutely would not want to muffle anyone's 1A rights, even people I super disagree with. But there's a line when it comes to threats or witness tampering. I think trump could campaign to his heart's content - talk about policy, talk about his record. He has no political need to attack Mark Meadows or Chutken for any legit campaign need. (IMO)
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Welp, Trump got rejected again. The spaghetti defense (or, "fishing expedition" in the words of the judge) are good for racking up attorneys' fees.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Donald Trump Says Undercover Agents Should Have Stopped Jan. 6 Happening

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-u ... 1701189600
In a disclosure request to Judge Tanya Chutkan in Washington, D.C., on Monday, Trump's lawyers wrote that they want information on undercover agents to show that it was the security forces, not Trump, who could have stopped the Capitol invasion on the day President Joe Biden's election victory was confirmed.

"President Trump is entitled to all information regarding undercover agents and individuals acting at the direction of official authorities at the Capitol on January 6," the lawyers wrote, citing United States v. Zink, in which Trump supporter, Ryan Zink, was found guilty in September of three charges, for filming and encouraging the rioters from within the Capitol building. In the Zink case, the court ruled that the defendant "is certainly right that the identity of a potential undercover actor—assuming any were present at the Capitol on January 6—could be exculpatory evidence that the Government must disclose."

In their submission on Monday, Trump's lawyers wrote that the former president differs from Zink in that he is not claiming that he was led into illegal actions by an undercover agent, but rather that the undercover agents should have controlled the riot.

The presence of undercover agents or informers would "suggest that there were adequate controls in place and that the violence at issue resulted from a failure of those controls and/or failed sting operations rather than any directions from President Trump," the lawyers' submission states.

"It strains credibility to assert that President Trump is not entitled to the production of this information, putting aside, for now, whether such information is admissible at trial, it certainly aids the preparation of President Trump's defense," the submission states, adding that the federal government "must also produce all materials that are inconsistent with the prosecution's new theory that President Trump 'directed' and is 'responsible for the events at the Capitol on January 6.'"

"This includes any materials suggesting that non-parties 'directed' events on January 6 or are otherwise 'responsible'—in whole or in part—for the violence that President Trump sought to prevent," the submission states.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Zink was found guilty, and I'm assuming there was no evidence that undercover agents were goading innocent tourists into wiping their poo on the walls of the rotunda ever entered as evidence in his trial. But trump thinks he's going to get it entered.

Talk about straining credibility.

I want to see the "evidence" showing trump sought to prevent violence, cuz everything I've seen so far tells me he was enjoying it.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bob

Post by bob »

Federal undercover agents work for (or at the direction of) the USDOJ. The USDOJ is run by AGOTUS, who is nominated by POTUS.

POTUS on 1/6/21 was ... :think:
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/attorney-warn ... =105228569
One of former president Donald Trump's current attorneys told special counsel Jack Smith's team that, within days of the Justice Department issuing a subpoena last year for all classified documents at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate, she "very clearly" warned Trump that if he failed to fully comply -- but then swore he did -- "it's going to be a crime," according to sources familiar with the matter.

Sources said the lawyer, Jennifer Little, told investigators Trump "absolutely" understood the warning, which came during a pivotal meeting at Mar-a-Lago with Trump and another attorney, Evan Corcoran, who had recently joined Trump's legal team.

What Little allegedly told Smith's team earlier this year may shed further light on how Smith came to accuse Trump of knowingly violating the law, saying in his June 9 indictment against Trump that the former president defied a subpoena by hiding more than 100 classified documents from the FBI and even his own legal team, and then having his legal team certify otherwise.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

It's a shame the documents case is being handled by a sycophant/inexperienced judge. This case seems the slam-dunkiest of them all: it's all about documents which were not returned upon request/demand and all that is...documented.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

An important decision from the D.C. Circuit rejects Trump's claim of immunity from civil lawsuits arising out of January 6.

https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/ ... 029472.pdf

Harry Litman discusses the decision in a series of unthreaded posts

https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/ ... 5289372911
Harry Litman
@harrylitman
DC circuit opinion on immunity, rejecting trumps claim at least pending development on the Fax. This is the big legal development we’ve been awaiting, affecting schedule, civil and criminal trials. It’s very strong, provisional. Landmark development you could say.

https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/ ... 132165536
With the opinion in the immunity case involving the civil plaintiffs, we can expect Chutkan's immunity decision to follow in short order, and for this reasoning to apply. Very very good development for Smith 1/6 prosecution, including for prospects it be tried before 11/2024.
https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/ ... 8490521002
DC circuit standard: "can alleged actions reasonably be understood as the official actions of an office-holder rather than the unofficial actions of an office-seeker." Reelection campaign activity is NOT within outer perimiter of official responsibilities as President.
https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/ ... 4211037572
Concurrence by Katsas, conservative Trump appointee, affirms principle that when acting as a candidate for re-election or leader of party, he is not in his official capacity. And also that complaint plausibly asserts that's the case here.
https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/ ... 9719123269
The ideologically mixed opinions are styled as rejecting 2 "extreme alternatives"--1. Trump's arg that any speech of matter of public concern is official v 2. Plaintiffs=only speech in furtherance of a presidential power. I.e this will play as a balanced resolution,--> stronger.
https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/ ... 1627108684
To state the obvious, the standard of immunity--and proposition that when acting as a candidate, you're not acting in your official duties as Pres--would be controlling on the criminal allegations at least those growing out of jan 6.
https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/ ... 9167832413
How to distinguish official from private presidential speech--> "objective" inquiry into "context" of speech, & whether "clothed in the trappings of an official function." Can be borderline cases--& again, this is a decision on allegations, not final facts--but seems clear here.
https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/ ... 7481449833
Main reason for "objective" standard (Katsas): "As a general matter, motive-based inquiries are “highly intrusive” and thus inappropriate for scoping out immunity.", even in cases involving plausible
allegations that the President has acted for some
unconstitutional purpose."
https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/ ... 0500325747
Also more than a matter of what President says--can say the same thing at a political rally as at state of the union. idea is that state of the union, since "clothed in the trappings of an official function" would have immunity, rally would not.
https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/ ... 4039466239
Pres's official duties so pervasive that even campaign speech can be official==e.g uses campaign speech to fire Secretary of State. So fact based, contextual inquiry.
https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/ ... 3939416433
In retrospect, Trump blundered by serving up an imprudently broad argument : that he was entitled to immunity "whenever [he] speaks on a matter of public concern."
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

So that's what this nonsense is about.
MAGA leader Donald Trump re-posted a Truth Social post from an account called @hodgetwins, which called for the arrest of Capitol Police officers defending the lower west terrace tunnel during the Jan 6 insurrection.

The post claims officers in that portion of the Capitol "beat the hell out of innocent J6 protesters" and "should be charged and the protesters should be freed."
He's gonna pardon all them tourists, ain't he?
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I think this is the ruling that flowed out of a case where a DC cop sued Trump for causing an insurrection that cause injury to that cop. It's a civil, not criminal case, IIRC.

otoh, lots of cases are running together in my brain...
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

From the decision:
The plaintiffs are Capitol
Police officers and members of Congress who were at the
Capitol that day. They seek recovery for physical injuries and
emotional distress arising from the riot.
Although it's a civil case, the decision is likely to be persuasive for the criminal cases against Trump. The Supreme Court has ruled that former presidents enjoy absolute immunity from civil liability for acts taken in their official capacity. The D.C. Circuit has taken a strong stand against extending a former president's immunity into acts taken and statements made in his personal capacity as a candidate -- notwithstanding that the acts and statements involve matters of public concern that, in a separate context, could also be involved in his official acts.

The same reasoning may apply even more strongly to a former president's criminal liability, as to which there is no precedent for immunity. As the government has argued (Docket No. 109):
No legal principle, case, or historical practice supports the conclusion that a former president is immune from federal criminal prosecution for conduct undertaken during his presidency.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Friday Smackdown continues! :dance:

MeidasTouch
@MeidasTouch

Judge Chutkan DENIES Trump's Motion to Dismiss in which he argued he had "presidential immunity."

Best line from the order: "Defendant's four-year service as Commander in Chief did not bestow on him the divine right of kings to evade the criminal accountability that governs his fellow citizens. "No man in this country," not even the former President, "is so high that he is above the law."
https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/sh ... cr0257-171
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I could not possibly love Judge Tonya Chutkan any more.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

SuzieC wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:17 pm I could not possibly love Judge Tonya Chutkan any more.
Hmm, there's an ambiguous bit of grammar! I'll go with the approval interpretation :thumbsup:
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

chancery wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:50 pm Teri Kanefield, a very experienced appellate defender, has some of the best commentary on Trump litigation.
Thanks for the Kanefield links. I’ve subscribed. It is such a pleasure, in the clickbait era, to read well-written commentary.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

SuzieC wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:17 pm I could not possibly love Judge Tonya Chutkan any more.
She is wonderful!!!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I still luvs Judge Tanya, even if Susie does not any more. 8-)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”