X -Where Twitter goes to die.

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:55 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:46 pm I don't think he quite knows the meaning of blackmail.
What is he even trying to say?
I may be off base here, but I think Musk is trying to tell his advertisers to go fuck themselves. :mrgreen:

Specifically, if they want to influence Twitter's (and Musk's) anti-semitic and other nonsense.

What's the saying? Vote with your feet! And they are...
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:04 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:46 pm I don't think he quite knows the meaning of blackmail.
I may be off base here, but I think Musk is trying to tell his advertisers to go fuck themselves. :mrgreen:

Specifically, if they want to influence Twitter's (and Musk's) anti-semitic and other nonsense.

Those would be the former advertisers...

He's :crazy:
raison de arizona

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:12 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:04 pm

Those would be the former advertisers...

He's :crazy:
More context:
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:01 pm

Lots of them have warning community notes now.
I noticed that! I'm seeing way more ads with community notes than actual posts with notes. The funniest I saw recently was for a ball that is supposed to rebound to the height from which it's dropped. The picture shows (I never play the videos) a ball being dropped from a 2nd story window and the community note is all about physics. LOL
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Also, what happened with Elon's "thermonuclear lawsuit"?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
bob

Post by bob »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:49 pm Also, what happened with Elon's "thermonuclear lawsuit"?
Musk filed it last week. In Texas.
Image ImageImage
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

bob wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:58 pm
Rolodex wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:49 pm Also, what happened with Elon's "thermonuclear lawsuit"?
Musk filed it last week. In Texas.
Thanks. They want $100,000 in damages - that's so super thermonuclear! And a jury trial! Whee!
Why on earth does musk think advertisers are obligated in any way to advertise on any platform at all?
bob

Post by bob »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:05 pmThey want $100,000 in damages - that's so super thermonuclear!
I know that's what the plainsite says, but the actual lawsuit doesn't specify a dollar amount.
Why on earth does musk think advertisers are obligated in any way to advertise on any platform at all?
The lawsuit doesn't allege any obligation. It alleges Media Matters (and its reporter) made false representations. And made those representations with the intent to disrupt the site's relationships with its current and prospective advertisers.
Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

The current advertisers he just told to fuck themselves?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

No, any advertisers who have already left, can go fuck themselves, because they're not coming back anyway, so he can act all tough.

The tough guy act is so pathetic, it's hilarious.

Yanno, I hate that he bought Twitter and killed it. I really mourn the loss of Twitter in my life.

But the tough guy act almost makes it worth it.

Look, I haz a sword, just like a real tough guy! Look, I can do cuss wordz, just like a real tough guy! Look, Mommy! Look at me! :rotflmao:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:27 pm No, any advertisers who have already left, can go fuck themselves, because they're not coming back anyway, so he can act all tough.

The tough guy act is so pathetic, it's hilarious.

Yanno, I hate that he bought Twitter and killed it. I really mourn the loss of Twitter in my life.

But the tough guy act almost makes it worth it.

Look, I haz a sword, just like a real tough guy! Look, I can do cuss wordz, just like a real tough guy! Look, Mommy! Look at me! :rotflmao:
Yeah. And you’re forgetting the big gun he shoots from the hip. Like Chuck Connors.
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

Foggy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:27 pm :snippity:
:snippity:
Me, too. It’s painful to me every day not to be interacting with my coffee geek buddies, the anti-Bundy crowd, not to mention hearing all the breaking news. Now I get my news from The NYTimes, WaPo and some regional newspapers, all of which media do fact checking, are edited, usually can be relied upon to be trustworthy sources. What fun is that? :crying:
raison de arizona

Try Threads, it’s fun!
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I mentioned about a week ago that I was about fifty percent on Twitter, fifty percent on Threads.

When Elmo posted the pizza gate crap, I thought, what am I doing on Twitter? A quick look explained why I'm there at all.

1) Most of the politicians I follow are not on Threads, and many of the news outlets are not there.

2) Virtually none of the Ukraine accounts I follow are on Threads. Too also most of the international accounts I follow. I understand Threads is not available in Europe?

That's it. I'll keep waiting, but there is no point in reading replies on Twitter anymore. It is a sewer.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:40 pm Try Threads, it’s fun!
It is slowly getting better.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Bluesky is wonderful if you can get in. When I get invite codes, I'll offer them here, FCFS.
Image Image Image Image
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

I use Twitter mostly to get news and opinions; I rarely tweet; sometimes retweet. I follow about 500 people, mostly news reporters or sports/entertainment figures.

Lately I have picked up at least 50 followers who follow thousands of people but have maybe 10 followers. I'm talking several a week. Most of the accounts have sexy women as their avatar. I'm pretty sure they are bots who want me to "follow back". (I never follow back unless I like what those people are tweeting or retweeting.)

I don't mind having followers but if you follow me you're wasting your time.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Mrich wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:48 am I use Twitter mostly to get news and opinions; I rarely tweet; sometimes retweet. I follow about 500 people, mostly news reporters or sports/entertainment figures.

Lately I have picked up at least 50 followers who follow thousands of people but have maybe 10 followers. I'm talking several a week. Most of the accounts have sexy women as their avatar. I'm pretty sure they are bots who want me to "follow back". (I never follow back unless I like what those people are tweeting or retweeting.)

I don't mind having followers but if you follow me you're wasting your time.
I get those, too (weird follows) and ignore them. When I get bored I go block them.

Maybe there's a culture of twitter of automatically following back people who follow you? Idk, but I've never done that. I don't care how many followers I have. I like to follow court cases, and that's were people seem to live tweet them. I have found kindred spirits in my very red state, so that's been nice.
bob

Post by bob »

I'm on hiatus from actively engaging on Twitter. I'll occasionally pop on to look around, maybe hit a like button or something, but that's about it.

For my main account, I basically follow those who troll RWNJs. Which has the effect of ... showing me a lot of RWNJs. The arrogant ignorance isn't amusing me presently; it is, frankly, a bit depressing.

My alt account is just creative people I enjoy, and that account is mostly fun because it is basically just light-hearted fluff.

I say "mostly" because Musk has made that less fun as well. I used to marvel how my different accounts were very different experiences: The main was doom, gloom, anger, outrage, lies, and delusions (basically everything wrong with contemporary politics); while the alt was just an entertaining romp. Because Musk now has the site promote paid subscribers, and most of the remaining subscribers paying for that privilege are horrible people, my fluff account now also is populated with muckrakers paying to be in front of me. Nope. :nope:

Rolodex wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:19 pmMaybe there's a culture of twitter of automatically following back people who follow you? Idk, but I've never done that.
Yup. For people who live on Twitter, follower count is key; it shows how important you are. :roll: Many users love to dick measure, and to use followers as the measuring tape: "Why would believe what someone with only 37 followers says?", as if number of followers is a reliable indicator of accuracy.

So there's definitely an unspoken rule about mutually following, to inflate each other's numbers, and to improve each other's reach/engagement. :shrug:
Image ImageImage
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I've been on twitter since 2009 and yeah, iIve never cared about how many followers I have. I don't monetize. I'm not anybody.
Since Mush took over, I don't read comments much any more - the political ones esp are crazy.
I like the immediacy of weather event info, esp pics from a particularly serious event like a hurricane in Houston where I used to live.
I do like to troll my idiot rep, although I doubt he sees his own feed. It's always 10-1 anti/pro in the comments. LOL

Probably my favorite use of twitter has been customer service via dm. I get faster replies from big companies there than through their own website.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

I've been on twitter since 2007. have been slowly changing my feed over to wildlife photos. I haven't seen a lot of the trash postings due to the fact that I have muted a lot of words/terms/people.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Bluesky invite codes: if you use one, Bluesky will let me know, and I will follow you back:

bsky-social-j5vw5-yjeib

bsky-social-gllim-efapi
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

FiveAcres wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:22 am Bluesky invite codes: if you use one, Bluesky will let me know, and I will follow you back:

bsky-social-j5vw5-yjeib

bsky-social-gllim-efapi
THANK YOU!!! I used the second one. I have been on the waiting list for many months and didn't know anyone who had codes. But now I'm in and will be checking it out.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I'm on Bluesky too but I keep forgetting to go there!
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Media Matters for America names counsel in X Corp. v. Media Matters for America
Today, Media Matters for America named Elias Law Group :thumbsup: as counsel in the case of X Corp. v. Media Matters for America.

On Monday, November 20, X Corp. sued Media Matters for America following publication of a report which revealed that ads for major brands appeared on X next to content that touts Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party, despite CEO Linda Yaccarino’s claims that brands are “protected from the risk of being next to” toxic posts on the platform.

Media Matters President Angelo Carusone said, “Media Matters stands by its reporting. This case is not only significant for us, but has major First Amendment implications for all. With Elias Law Group, we look forward to continuing our work unabated and ultimately winning in court."

Abha Khanna, Partner, Elias Law Group, added, “Elias Law Group is proud to represent Media Matters for America in this case. X Corp.’s lawsuit against MMFA is a clear attempt to bully and silence anyone who dares to hold them accountable. X Corp. has fallen far short of its commitment to protect its users and advertisers from hateful, extremist content. We look forward to ensuring that MMFA is able to continue its important work."

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”