💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Rolodex

The 118th Congress with "My Kevin" McCarthy then "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House /Clowns

Post by Rolodex »

Foggy wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:57 pm
“If we’re gonna solve difficult problems we’ve got to deal with some very unpleasant truths, or lies, and make sure that we reject to the public what the truth is.”
:think: I think the Republicans are doing a fine job of rejecting what the truth is to the public.
They are just giving up on the GOP and capitulating to MAGA. I heard an interview on Fresh Air with Adam Kizinger (hawking his new book) and he's bemoaning the death of the traditional GOP.

It's sad because we need two strong reasonable parties and it seems like these folks like Buck, Kizinger - and others who aren't leaving but who don't speak out - are doing exactly what the terrorist branch has been trying to do all along. Their threats of primarying them or worse - threats of violence - are working. They either back MAGA in public while criticizing in private, or they leave. But, the ones who stay still end up voting for MAGA stuff, so I don't really care what they say in private.

Now, the task is to educate the marginally engaged R voters (they vote R because they always have and Ds are baby killers who want to give free stuff to lazy people) that it's not the same R party they've been a part of. I live in the middle of super trumper land, but I have a lot of friends who are Republicans. They vote R for "it's the party of business/lower taxes/pro-life" reasons, but MAGA is abadoning that. I need them to understand that the GOP is becmong MAGA, and, while some of them would be on board with this (I've seen some posting of how much they like Mike Johnson - although I hope they don't really know much about him except he's "conservative"), I hope some would not vote for Trump or our other MAGA reps if they just knew more. I think some of these folks voted for Doug Jones when it came down to him or Roy Moore. Good to see there was some line they wouldn't cross. Unless they wrote in Nick Saben.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
New Turtle

The 118th Congress with "My Kevin" McCarthy then "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House /Clowns

Post by New Turtle »

I wonder how quickly Bobo is gonna start looking for residence in the 4th district.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:15 pm :snippity:
Good to see there was some line they wouldn't cross. Unless they wrote in Nick Saben.
Why not, after all, Tupperware has already proven all you need to be a US Senator and become an expert on military effectiveness is winning a college national championship....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/texas-congre ... 3c8e48dc91
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — U.S. Rep. Kay Granger of Texas, the Republican chairwoman of the powerful House Appropriations Committee, said Wednesday she will not seek reelection in 2024 after nearly three decades in Congress.

Granger, 80, is the nation’s longest-serving GOP congresswoman and was first elected in 1996. Her district, which includes Fort Worth, is heavily Republican and is likely to remain out of reach for Democrats next yea r.

“It’s time for the next generation to step up and take the mantle and be a strong and fierce representative for the people,” Granger said in a statement.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Good to see the House GOP (and Senate) are getting serious about governing -- oh wait

Savage fights unravel GOP's newfound unity
Andrew Solender - 7 hours ago

Rogue tactics by Republican lawmakers in both chambers of Congress are prompting a flurry of intra-party attacks on social media and the Senate floor.

Why it matters: The public infighting threatens to cut short new House Speaker Mike Johnson's (R-La.) honeymoon as Congress is consumed by crises at home and abroad.

Driving the news: Reps. Chip Roy (R-Texas) and Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) went back and forth on the social media site X after Roy and 22 other Republicans voted against Greene's resolution to censure Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.). Roy, in a statement, called the measure "feckless" and "deeply flawed" for its use of the word "insurrection" to describe a Capitol Hill protest calling for a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war. Greene shot back in a post on X criticizing Roy – along with "CNN wannabe" Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.) and "vaping groping" Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) – for helping oust her from the Freedom Caucus and voting to certify the 2020 election. After Roy made a reference to Greene's prior comments on "space lasers," Greene replied in another X post: "Oh shut up Colonel Sanders, you're not even from Texas," accusing him of spending most of his time in the D.C. area. In a statement to Axios, Boebert spokesperson Anthony Fakhoury said the lawmaker is "not concerned about unprovoked attacks from MTG." A spokesperson for Buck did not immediately respond to request for comment.

Zoom in: Greene and Roy weren't the only House Republicans to exchange barbs on Thursday. Rep. Steve Womack (R-Ark.), after supporting a failed GOP-led vote to expel Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) from Congress, said on X: "Last night, the House saw its shadow. Unfortunately, this means there will be two more weeks of Santos." :lol: Santos responded by seizing on a news report about Womack's son pleading guilty to a federal drug charge, posting: "Instead of being home, taking care of your son, you're sitting pretty in the swamp." "I have been respectful of my colleagues through this process but I'm sick and tired of people with glass houses casting stones at me," Santos said. In a statement earlier this year, Womack said his family loves their son and "believe in our hearts he will redeem himself. We regret he is at the mercy of the criminal justice system and will respect the judgment."

The big picture: The public fights appear to be tearing at the fragile appearance of unity created by Johnson's election last week. After three weeks of internal discord in which three successive GOP speaker nominees failed to win over substantial blocs of detractors to secure the gavel, Johnson won it in a single ballot with zero GOP defectors. But signs of disunity showed almost as soon as soon as Johnson took office, with some Republicans dismissing the GOP solidarity that swept Johnson into office as a one-off, Axios' Juliegrace Brufke reported.

Between the lines: Things are little better for Republicans on the other side of the Capitol, even as the Senate has been noted this year for its relative harmony on issues like government spending compared to the House. Long-simmering tensions over Sen. Tommy Tuberville's (R-Ala.) months-long blockage of hundreds of military promotions in protest of the Pentagon's abortion reimbursement policy finally exploded into public view on the Senate floor Wednesday night, A group of Republican defense-hawks tried and failed to get unanimous consent to swiftly pass more than 60 routine military promotions, but Tuberville blocked each one. "Holding her hostage doesn't help the pro-life cause, it hurts our military," Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said of one military official whose promotion was blocked. "She had nothing to do with this [abortion] policy ... This is doing great damage to our military."
https://images.axios.com/S1pSEVeKUHo2FX ... jpg?w=1920

Nice shot of Marge & Kitara.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I think that shot of March and Whatshisname was taken way back in January during the McCarthy shitshow.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Johnson was made Speaker by God.
No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen @NoLieWithBTC wrote: Mike Johnson’s wife Kelly just responded after it was revealed her “Christian Counseling Services” compare gay people to bestiality and say sex out of wedlock “offends God.”

She said she “felt burdened for so many people” & says “God” made Mike Johnson Speaker. “It’s Biblical.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Rome fell due to rampant homosexuality. This is the Speaker of the House, second in line to the Presidency.
Biden-Harris HQ @BidenHQ wrote: Mike Johnson: “The fall of Rome” happened because they “condoned” gay people
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:51 pm Johnson was made Speaker by God.
No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen @NoLieWithBTC wrote: Mike Johnson’s wife Kelly just responded after it was revealed her “Christian Counseling Services” compare gay people to bestiality and say sex out of wedlock “offends God.”

She said she “felt burdened for so many people” & says “God” made Mike Johnson Speaker. “It’s Biblical.”
What the HELL is she doing in pants??????? SHAME SHAME
(for context-my mama was one of them there bible readin' practicn' people and we her 4 daughters were NEVER allowed to wear pants)
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:51 pm Johnson was made Speaker by God.

What the HELL is she doing in pants??????? SHAME SHAME
(for context-my mama was one of them there bible readin' practicn' people and we her 4 daughters were NEVER allowed to wear pants)

yes I am still a bit :brickwallsmall: :boxing: :talktothehand: over that and she has been gone since 2014

When my kid was born in 91 she wasn't even an hour old yet and all my mom could say was "suppose you are gonna let her wear jeans to school" Me during post birth care snapped at her and said I would probably home school her......shut my mom up for a while
raison de arizona

First Tucker Carlson, now Glenn Beck apparently gets them.
https://twitter.com/nicksortor/status/1 ... 55013?s=20
Nick Sortor @nicksortor wrote: 🚨 JUST IN: @SpeakerJohnson seems to be following through with his promise to release the January 6th tapes.

Johnson is now moving forward with the approval process to hand over Capitol CCTV videos and images to the Blaze—which was STALLED under McCarthy—according to @TPC4USA
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Well it's not like Glenn Beck is going to be able to find anything, any more than Carlson was able to with a lot more people and resources at his disposal.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

Interesting that they won't release them to AP, Reuters, or NPR.

Well, not really interesting.
raison de arizona

Johnson gets busy governing!
Ted Lieu @tedlieu wrote: Under new Republican leadership we are voting late at night on … stupid stuff. We are about to vote on:

-Reducing salary of EPA Administrator to $1

-Reducing salary of Director of Bureau of Land Management to $1

-Reducing salary of Secretary of the Interior to $1
https://x.com/tedlieu/status/1720266896254148679?s=20
raison de arizona

Kayleigh McEnany @kayleighmcenany wrote: @SpeakerJohnson gave me a tour of the Congressional Prayer Room.

"We'll be using it every morning."

"This will be my discipline to come in here and seek the Lord's guidance for what we do each day."
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Waiting with bated / baited breath for Muslim members of the House seek a moment of quiet in this room and have a Koran at ready. Also too not forget the Jewish community. Alas the FSM is still waiting for representation :twisted:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:05 pm First Tucker Carlson, now Glenn Beck apparently gets them.
https://twitter.com/nicksortor/status/1 ... 55013?s=20
Nick Sortor @nicksortor wrote: 🚨 JUST IN: @SpeakerJohnson seems to be following through with his promise to release the January 6th tapes.

Johnson is now moving forward with the approval process to hand over Capitol CCTV videos and images to the Blaze—which was STALLED under McCarthy—according to @TPC4USA
These people floor me. They clearly think their audience are a bunch of idiots. I bet someone can find video of Ted Bundy not killing women.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:17 pm Waiting with bated / baited breath for Muslim members of the House seek a moment of quiet in this room and have a Koran at ready. Also too not forget the Jewish community. Alas the FSM is still waiting for representation :twisted:
love it
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Well, if its the Congressional Prayer Room, it already had Jewish involvement in its design. It could also be Room 219, which is used weekly by the "Congressional Prayer Caucus" to show off how Prayery they are.

I do like the Stained Glass Window of George Washington in Prayer that they have in the actual prayer room.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Prayer_Room

Capitol_Prayer_Room_stained_glass_window.jpg
Capitol_Prayer_Room_stained_glass_window.jpg (82.03 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
Hic sunt dracones
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:55 pm
Kayleigh McEnany @kayleighmcenany wrote: @SpeakerJohnson gave me a tour of the Congressional Prayer Room.

"We'll be using it every morning."

"This will be my discipline to come in here and seek the Lord's guidance for what we do each day."
Oh Jesus Christ.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Suranis wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:04 pm It could also be Room 219, which is used weekly by the "Congressional Prayer Caucus" to show off how Prayery they are.
That's a great way of putting it.
And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
(I grew up with the KJV so that's what I use.)
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

If God appointed Mike Johnson, then God must really love Nancy Pelosi. She has served longer than any Republican.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS HIM

or sumthin

We are doomed
Nothing is going to get done.
June bug

Post by June bug »

neonzx wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:56 am THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS HIM

or sumthin

We are doomed
Nothing is going to get done.
Worse yet
Anything that does get done is going to be awful.

Return to “Current Politics”