State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
chancery
Verified:

State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/lawofruby/status/17 ... 3063198111
Lisa Rubin
@lawofruby
And an update: Ivanka has lost her bid for an interim stay of her testimony and remains on the trial schedule for 11/8.
No order that I can find on the docket, but it's not likely to say anything but "denied."

Writing and putting together that motion likely cost her a number of tens of thousands of dollars. Gone with the wind.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I dunno if they are making up the legal stuff, but it was persuasive to me :shrug:
She hasn’t lived in NY for seven years, hasn’t been involved with the company in that time, which is why she got dismissed in the first place. What information are they looking to get from her? I assume they aren’t going fishing.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

This tweet includes the image of the document denying her request.
bob

Post by bob »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:36 pm She hasn’t lived in NY for seven years, hasn’t been involved with the company in that time, which is why she got dismissed in the first place. What information are they looking to get from her? I assume they aren’t going fishing.
Presumably she is percipient witness to various (not time-barred) conversations, e.g., that Thanksgiving where they all laughed uproariously about all the lies they told to them dumb green-visored, pencil-necked geeks.
Image ImageImage
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

When I read that Don Jr had made a quip of "I should have worn makeup" I laughed at it. I remember thinking well, sounds like a little bit of sense of humor there. But then when I saw the video of him actually saying it I did not think it came out funny at all. On paper sounded funny, but coming from his mouth I was actually surprised at how flat it fell. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

You mean her White House travel and activities didn't make for hardship mid-school week? I'm shocked.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Yep. DENINED!!

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

chancery wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:33 pm https://twitter.com/lawofruby/status/17 ... 3063198111
Lisa Rubin
@lawofruby
And an update: Ivanka has lost her bid for an interim stay of her testimony and remains on the trial schedule for 11/8.
No order that I can find on the docket, but it's not likely to say anything but "denied."

Writing and putting together that motion likely cost her a number of tens of thousands of dollars. Gone with the wind.
Pocket change when you have Saudi billions
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:36 pm I dunno if they are making up the legal stuff, but it was persuasive to me :shrug:
She hasn’t lived in NY for seven years, hasn’t been involved with the company in that time, which is why she got dismissed in the first place. What information are they looking to get from her? I assume they aren’t going fishing.
Ivanka Trump has recently reestablished a role at a number of the Trump corporate defendants. More to the point, she never ceased doing business in New York State through her company, Ivanka OPO LLC, located in the Trump Tower, as well as in a NY consulting firm and other entities.

That's probably enough to give the court jurisdiction to enforce a subpoena for her to testify, and that's what the Judge found.

Judge Engoron's transcript order denying the motion to quash is here: https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef ... _IAgKLPQ==

The NYAG's opposition to the motion for a stay is here: https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef ... FgJW9Qbw==
raison de arizona

Thanks chancery, bob.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

From the NYAG's opposition to the motion for a stay:
Second, Ms. Trump owns and uses real property in New York, which is enough to give rise to personal jurisdiction here. See C.P.L.R. 302(a)(4). The unrefuted documentary record demonstrates that Ms. Trump, through various corporate entities, owns an apartment in the Trump Park Avenue building in Manhattan and owns a tenancy interest (through at least 2031) in another apartment in the same building. (See Ex. 1, Trump Park Avenue Unit PH20 Documents; Ex. 2, Trump Park Avenue Unit 6G Emails.) Such real-estate interests in New York are sufficient for personal jurisdiction, particularly given that OAG intends to prove at trial that defendants fraudulently and illegally inflated the value of the very apartment owned by Ms. Trump (see Ex. B, Compl. ¶¶ 107-12). See also Sen v. GR Realty Holdings LLC, 202 A.D.3d 580, 580 (1st Dep’t 2022). Though Ms. Trump’s counsel stated that she “is not a resident of the State of New York and does not maintain a residence there” (Ex. 3, Moskowitz Affirm. ¶ 3), Supreme Court properly did not accept counsel’s representations that were made without personal knowledge and that are refuted by the documentation of her Manhattan real-estate interests.

Third, Ms. Trump still transacts business in the State, which also suffices for personal jurisdiction. See C.P.L.R. 302(a)(1). Aside from the corporate entities relating to her personal real-estate interests and other corporate ownership interests, Ms. Trump is the sole member of Ivanka OPO LLC, which has its principal place of business in the Trump Organization’s headquarters in Trump Tower in Manhattan (Ex. 4, Ivanka OPO LLC Operating Agreement § 1.7), and a member of TTT Consulting LLC, which is undisputedly based in New York (see Memo. of Law in Supp. of NonParty Ivanka Trump’s Mot. to Quash at 4, People v. Trump, No. 452564/2022 (Sup. Ct. N.Y. County Oct. 19, 2023), NYSCEF Doc. No. 1566).2 Those entities’ conduct of business is pertinent to OAG’s claims. Ivanka OPO LLC received the wrongful proceeds of the sale of the Old Post Office building at issue in this matter, and TTT Consulting, LLC received proceeds from real-estate licensing deals that defendants falsely and misleadingly inflated in Donald J. Trump’s statements of financial condition. (Ex. B, Compl. ¶¶ 34, 554.)

Fourth, Supreme Court has general jurisdiction over numerous corporate entities (such as Ivanka OPO LLC) that have listed their principal place of business as New York and that were subpoenaed in New York. See People v. Trump, 217 A.D.3d 609, 612 (1st Dep’t 2023) (holding the same as to other Trump Organization entities). In subpoenaing an entity in New York, OAG may properly “compel the entity to produce a specific individual to testify” by “identify[ing] the individual to be produced” in the subpoena. 4A N.Y. Prac., Com. Litig. in N.Y. State Courts § 46:5 (4th ed. Oct. 2023 update) (Westlaw). As this Court has held, a subpoena may thus properly identify and require “the sole officer” of a corporate entity to testify. B & D Jewelry Corp. v. Schneier, 78 A.D.2d 809, 810 (1st Dep’t 1980). Here, because Ms. Trump is the sole member of certain entities (such as Ivanka OPO LLC), the subpoenas properly identify her as the witness to be produced. (E.g., Ex. G, Ivanka OPO LLC Subpoena.)

Ms. Trump’s arguments are based on the false premise that witnesses with relevant, firsthand knowledge may be called to testify only if they are “a primary actor” in the case. (See Mot. at 10 (quotation marks omitted).) In fact, OAG is generally entitled to call any “competent witness who possesses information relevant to such action.” See Kajoshaj v Greenspan, 88 A.D.2d 538, 539 (1st Dept 1982). Ms. Trump errs in arguing that specific jurisdiction applies only to “the defendant” (Mot. at 9 (emphasis in original) (quotation marks omitted)), when in fact the governing statute provides for “personal jurisdiction over any non-domiciliary,” C.P.L.R. 302 (emphasis added). Contrary to Ms. Trump’s argument based on citations to trial-court decisions (Mot. at 14), this Court has applied such specific jurisdiction to out-of-state nonparty witnesses. See American Dental Co-op., Inc. v. Attorney Gen. of State of N.Y., 127 A.D.2d 274, 280 (1st Dep’t 1987); see also La Belle Creole Intl. v. Attorney-Gen., 10 N.Y.2d 192, 197-98 (1961). Ms. Trump cites Judiciary Law § 2-b as a statutory limit on Supreme Court’s subpoena power (Mot. at 14), but that statute pertains to out-of-state “service of a subpoena” and not to personal jurisdiction. See DuPont v. Bronston, 46 A.D.2d 369, 371 (1st Dep’t 1974); Peterson v. Spartan Indus., Inc., 40 A.D.2d 807, 807 (1st Dep’t 1972).
I thought it was weird that they were making a motion based on lack of personal jurisdiction and irreparable harm without an affidavit from Ivanka herself. NYS courts can be surprisingly lenient with attorney hearsay affidavits in lieu of admissible evidence, usually when there's no real dispute about the factual content of the affidavits, but I wouldn't have taken the chance here. Of course, it's possible that she couldn't honestly provide an affidavit that would support her position. :whistle:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

chancery wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:33 pm https://twitter.com/lawofruby/status/17 ... 3063198111
Lisa Rubin
@lawofruby

Jared will book that as petty cash on the Saudi investment account :twisted:

ETA ninjaded by pipistrelle :thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:49 pm You mean her White House travel and activities didn't make for hardship mid-school week? I'm shocked.
But she will need to grift extra for the nanny for that day ;)
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

chancery wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:17 pmOf course, it's possible virtually certain that she couldn't honestly provide an affidavit that would support her position. :whistle:
Just being helpful ... :roll:
"Man Struck By Lightning Faces Battery Charge"
raison de arizona

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1720178725872951598
erica orden @eorden wrote: Kise is continuing to complain about the clerk, saying she is passing notes to the judge.

Judge Engoron pounded on the bench: "That's right!" he shouted. "Confidential communications for my record. Absolute right to it. You don’t have any right to see it"
erica orden @eorden wrote: After Trump lawyer Chris Kise made a reference to Judge Engoron's law clerk, the judge said: "If there is any further reference to anyone on my staff, I would consider expanding the gag order to include the attorneys."
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
Friday’s court session in Donald Trump’s New York civil fraud trial began with another extended debate about the role of Judge Arthur Engoron’s principal law clerk.

On Thursday, Engoron and Trump attorney Chris Kise had a tense argument about his clerk in response to criticism of her, prompting Engoron to threaten to extend his gag order barring public commentary on members of his court staff.

Kise picked up the debate Friday morning with a lengthy speech complaining about the clerk, raising an allegation from a right-wing website and claiming that the political bias could be cause for a mistrial.

“The entire country if not the world is watching this proceeding,” Kise said, arguing he had a right to put allegations of bias and the perception of bias in the court record. “The rulings are frequently, if not inordinately against us on almost every major issue,” Kise complained.
Engoron defended his rulings and his clerk’s role in the trial, sitting alongside him, saying he believes he is deciding issues in the trial “right down the middle.”

Assistant Attorney General Andrew Amer said if Trump's team has evidence of extrajudicial conduct that suggests the law clerk is biased then they should go ahead and make a motion. "Making speeches," he said, was "wasting a lot of time."
bob

Post by bob »

Breitbart published a story alleging the judge's shipping clerk made political contributions beyond those allowed the court's ethical rules. And those contributions favored Democrats.

On first blush, it does appear the shipping clerk violated the ethics rule. How that translates to "Step Three: Mistrial" remains a "mystery."
Image ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/03/politics ... index.html

The judge overseeing Donald Trump’s civil fraud trial has expanded a gag order in the trial to extend to Trump’s attorneys after continued lengthy discussions about the judge’s communications with his law clerk during court this week.

In a written order Friday, Judge Arthur Engoron prohibited Trump’s attorneys from making any further comments about confidential communications between the judge and his staff inside or outside of the courtroom.

“Since the commencement of this bench trial, my chambers have been inundated with hundreds of harassing and threatening phone calls, voicemails, emails, letters and packages. The First Amendment right of defendants and their attorneys to comment on my staff is far and away outweighed by the need to protect them from threats and physical harm,” the judge wrote.
raison de arizona

Thugs, the whole lot of them. They know what they are doing. Lock 'em all up.
► Show Spoiler
bob

Post by bob »

It is difficult for me to fathom how dumb all of this is.

Judges routinely pass notes to clerks. Anything from, "get me a copy of [relevant authority]" to "draft a written order memorializing what I just said" to "half-caf, no sugar, almond milk."

All of which are confidential conversations that the parties (and the public) have no right to access to. So "commenting" upon them is especially dumb.

Of course, this is all being done for a party of one (and his cult), but it in no way will further the defendants' case, or counsels' reputations in the legal community.
Image ImageImage
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

bob wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:11 pm It is difficult for me to fathom how dumb all of this is.
Honest to FSM. I keep waiting for Engoron to lean across his bench and ask, "Is this your first trial, Mr. Kise?" :mad:
"Man Struck By Lightning Faces Battery Charge"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Deadline WH just had a great long breakdown of today's testimony and the gag order. LOL, there was much laughter over Eric's shifting story of how busy he was building buildings and pouring concrete. Going to have to watch again when I can queue it up on On Demand.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

bob: Judges routinely pass notes to clerks. Anything from, "get me a copy of [relevant authority]" to "draft a written order memorializing what I just said" to "half-caf, no sugar, almond milk."
:yeahthat: The judge doesn’t have a Diet Coke button. Too, also, it’s not like this is the ONLY case the judge has.

There’s no defense so harassment is on the strategy list.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

There have been stories here of judges passing notes commenting on suspects' appearance, making lewd jokes, etc., but although IANAL I would assume it's normal for judges to communicate with staff. Does that make me more qualified than Kise?

(Yes, am aware of the audience of Orange.)

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”