Assault on the Capitol (DC)

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:31 pm I'm a little concerned about the 'gutteral screams' part in context -- a good many deaf people (I believe other articles point out this guy is deaf and was a Gallaudet student) do end up with speech differences as well, right? Apparently, the guy reacted when the ASL interpreter started signing out the way things were heading and, yeah, freaked out.

At least, that's the version of the story I heard, and I think that social and psychological context is important. Does it *excuse* his attempts to flee violently? No, and I want to stress that I believe that. But it does make it seem less freakish and alien, I think, the idea that a terrified deaf person who has legitimately experienced the world differently than most may react to fear differently.

Just sayin'.
Didn't realize that. Saw this.
A Jan. 6 defendant who allegedly sent multiple antisemitic, doxxing threats to federal agents connected to his case violently resisted arrest in D.C. federal court Monday after being ordered detained by a judge as he awaits sentencing on several felony and misdemeanor convictions.

"As noted, since last weekend, the defendant's conduct has escalated significantly," prosecutors wrote in their filing earlier this month. "Previously, the defendant had used his social media to track and publicly harass members of law enforcement and the FBI's Washington Field Office. This alone was concerning. But now, he has sent intimidating, direct messages to a specific law enforcement officer who previously testified in this case."
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jan-6-d ... =104485810
somerset

Post by somerset »

The first Instagram story in Figure 1 above stated: “Spotted them outside the Zionist FBI
WFO. Most of them are murderous perverted sociopaths.” The second Instagram story stated:
“Why is it so difficult to find a list of FBI agents’ contact infos [sic] on the internet? You can
easily find a cop’s name and contact info within several minutes.” Another posting, not reproduced
in this filing, singled out an individual associated with the FBI who was present when the defendant
was arrested in January 2021.

This past weekend, on October 14 and 15, 2023, the defendant’s harassing conduct
escalated. In the evening of Saturday, October 14, one of the law enforcement officers associated
with this case received the following text messages from the defendant’s cell phone number:

Figure 2: Text Messages received from the defendant’s cell phone.

Specifically, these text messages were sent from the defendant’s cell phone number to the cell
phone number of one of the law enforcement officers who had arranged the defendant’s FBI
interview and arrest in January 2021 and who later testified at a hearing before this Court in this
case. Last weekend, the defendant also attempted to place phone calls to the same cell phone
number.
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .194.0.pdf

Deaf or not, this guy definitely crossed the line with his texting behaviour. I can't easily show the screenshots of the text messages, but they're in linked filing.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

somerset wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:55 pm Deaf or not, this guy definitely crossed the line with his texting behaviour. I can't easily show the screenshots of the text messages, but they're in linked filing.
Agreed. And, again, not excusing his offenses before the law, just making it clear that to me -- assuming I have the facts right about his deafness -- some of the stories excluding that as completely irrelevant or just missing it kind of do the truth a disservice by making the guy seem even more alien than his actual law-breaking behavior.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:33 am
somerset wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:55 pm Deaf or not, this guy definitely crossed the line with his texting behaviour. I can't easily show the screenshots of the text messages, but they're in linked filing.
Agreed. And, again, not excusing his offenses before the law, just making it clear that to me -- assuming I have the facts right about his deafness -- some of the stories excluding that as completely irrelevant or just missing it kind of do the truth a disservice by making the guy seem even more alien than his actual law-breaking behavior.
Thank you for that clarification. Guttural screams can signify anything from excitement to joy to terror, but the phrasing in that context makes it sound like animal behavior.

And totally off the subject, but the campus at Gallaudet was much noisier than I expected. Slamming doors, stomping feet, lots of random "guttural screams" and other noises. On the other hand, we had a fire alarm go off in the dorm one night that I slept through because they use flashing lights but no audible alarm.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:49 pm
Powell man who spread misinformation even after Jan. 6 conviction is sentenced to prison

Jordan Laird, The Columbus Dispatch
Thu, April 27, 2023 at 11:20 PM GMT+2

A Powell man who was convicted for his participation in the Jan. 6, 2021 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol — and who continued to spread misinformation about that day and the 2020 election to his more than 67,000 Twitter followers — is now facing federal prison.

Alexander Sheppard, 23, was sentenced Thursday in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia in Washington to seven months in prison. Federal prosecutors had asked for 15 months.

U.S. District Judge John D. Bates also ordered Sheppard to pay $500 in restitution. Bates moved forward with the sentencing despite Sheppard’s request on Wednesday to postpone sentencing while he files a request for a new trial.

In January, a federal jury convicted Sheppard of five criminal counts, including obstruction of an official proceeding and disorderly or disruptive conduct in a restricted building. The jury found Sheppard not guilty of remaining on the floor of Congress.

Bates called the events on Jan. 6 an extremely disturbing assault on the country's democratic values and the peaceful transition of power.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/powell-man-s ... 01502.html
(original: The Columbus Dispatch)
Alexander Sheppard 🇺🇸 @NotAlexSheppard wrote: Today I turn myself in to federal prison for the 19 month sentence I received for peacefully protesting inside the People’s House on January 6th, 2021.

I was 21 years old at the time, and I have been fighting these charges for the last 3 years.

It is my great honor to be held hostage as a political prisoner in these United States of America.

Goodbye, for now…
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Don’t let the door hit ya…
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

Insurrectionist Jagoff wrote:Today I turn myself in to federal prison for the 19 month sentence . . .
It will likely be the first of a number of prison sentences.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:58 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:49 pm
Powell man who spread misinformation even after Jan. 6 conviction is sentenced to prison

Jordan Laird, The Columbus Dispatch
Thu, April 27, 2023 at 11:20 PM GMT+2

A Powell man who was convicted for his participation in the Jan. 6, 2021 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol — and who continued to spread misinformation about that day and the 2020 election to his more than 67,000 Twitter followers — is now facing federal prison.

Alexander Sheppard, 23, was sentenced Thursday in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia in Washington to seven months in prison. Federal prosecutors had asked for 15 months.

U.S. District Judge John D. Bates also ordered Sheppard to pay $500 in restitution. Bates moved forward with the sentencing despite Sheppard’s request on Wednesday to postpone sentencing while he files a request for a new trial.

In January, a federal jury convicted Sheppard of five criminal counts, including obstruction of an official proceeding and disorderly or disruptive conduct in a restricted building. The jury found Sheppard not guilty of remaining on the floor of Congress.

Bates called the events on Jan. 6 an extremely disturbing assault on the country's democratic values and the peaceful transition of power.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/powell-man-s ... 01502.html
(original: The Columbus Dispatch)
Alexander Sheppard 🇺🇸 @NotAlexSheppard wrote: Today I turn myself in to federal prison for the 19 month sentence I received for peacefully protesting inside the People’s House on January 6th, 2021.

I was 21 years old at the time, and I have been fighting these charges for the last 3 years.

It is my great honor to be held hostage as a political prisoner in these United States of America.

Goodbye, for now…
The article says he was sentenced to 7 months (DoJ has asked for 15) but his post says 19 months. Did he get more piled on or is he just lying?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
raison de arizona

Rolodex wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:20 pm The article says he was sentenced to 7 months (DoJ has asked for 15) but his post says 19 months. Did he get more piled on or is he just lying?
DOJ press release says 19 months :shrug:
Alexander Sheppard, 24, of Powell, Ohio, was sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge John D. Bates to serve 19 months in prison and 24 months of supervised release. Sheppard also was ordered to pay $3,170 in restitution and fines.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/ohio ... tol-breach
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Sadly, all Yahoo news does is suck up articles from wherever, no matter how shitty. I'd go with the justice link.
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Former Trump State Department appointee sentenced to 70 months in prison after assaulting police officers at US Capitol

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/03/politics ... index.html
Federico Klein, a former State Department appointee, was found guilty following a bench trial before Judge Trevor McFadden this summer of multiple counts, including assaulting multiple police officers that day.

“Your actions on January 6 were shocking and egregious,” McFadden, also a Trump appointee, said during Friday’s sentencing.

According to the judge, Klein assaulted an officer during an initial breach on the Capitol grounds, telling the officer “you can’t stop us.”

McFadden also detailed several other assaults on officers from Klein, many of which occurred in the lower west terrace tunnel, one of the most violent scenes that day.

“This is a government of law, not of men,” McFadden said, adding that Klein had “betrayed your office.”

During Friday’s sentencing, former US Capitol Police Sgt. Aquilino Gonell told the court that Klein had attacked him multiple times with a police riot shield.

Gonell questioned how “someone who took the same oath as I did” to protect the Constitution, could be involved in such an assault on the Capitol.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thanks V, you beat me to it. From the CNN article,

:snippity:
Stanley Woodward, Klein’s attorney, said in court that Klein had not planned to attack the Capitol that day, adding that “no one person caused January 6.”

Woodward, who also represents Trump’s co-defendant Walt Nauta in the classified documents case in Florida, noted Klein had worked on Trump’s 2016 campaign.

Klein’s actions on January 6, Woodward said, were “not a betrayal” of his service in the military and the State Department, but was part of attending “a protest turned wrong.”
raison de arizona

Federico Klein.
Kyle Cheney @kyledcheney wrote: NEW: A Trump-appointed State Department official who was one. of the earliest Jan. 6 defendants arrested for violence in the Lower West Terrace tunnel was sentenced today to 70 months in prison.

w/ @joshgerstein

https://politico.com/news/2023/11/03/tr ... n-00125326
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Good, although I'm sorry it wasn't 10 years. I know people in the State Department. Klein is a disgrace.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

chancery wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:31 pm Good, although I'm sorry it wasn't 10 years. I know people in the State Department. Klein is a disgrace.
[tfg appointee] is a disgrace. Fits most of them. Maybe all.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:51 pm
chancery wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:31 pm Good, although I'm sorry it wasn't 10 years. I know people in the State Department. Klein is a disgrace.
[tfg appointee] is a disgrace. Fits most of them. Maybe all.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Also forgot he's a former Marine.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:39 pm
Also forgot he's a former Marine.
Usually this is where I would tell one there are no "former" Marines.

In this case, yeah, [expiative deleted] him :fuckyou:

He betrayed his oath, one that I was told after I graduated boot camp does not expire until you take your last breath...

Enjoy prison traitor.... :fuckyou:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Frater I*I wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:50 pm
He betrayed his oath, one that I was told after I graduated boot camp does not expire until you take you last breath...
Isn't that the whole point of the "Oath Keeper's" schtick?

That was certainly the point of the argument I had with "what's-his-name" when he was floating around recruiting. He couldn't understand why I was hesitant to trust him to distinguish between an actual affront to the Constitution and therefor the oath of office, and an affront to whatever bug he had up his ass this week. He got really snarky about it for some reason.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/grego ... r-AA1jBGXQ
Gregory Yetman was never arrested after the Capitol riot. Now an FBI search is under way

A search was under way in Middlesex County, New Jersey, for Gregory Yetman, who is wanted for his role in the Jan. 6 Capitol riots, according to the FBI.

Yetman fled his home in the small town of Helmetta on Wednesday morning after FBI agents and local police attempted to serve him with an arrest warrant, Helmetta Mayor Christopher Slavicek told USA TODAY.

In videos from Jan. 6, the man identified as Yetman can be seen picking up a large canister of pepper spray from the ground and spraying it toward Capitol police and protesters. Photos of that man were posted on the FBI's wanted list for the insurrection, and he was labeled as suspect #278 AFO. AFO stands for “Assault on a Federal Officer.”

Yetman, who was a military police sergeant in the New Jersey National Guard at the time of the riot, told USA TODAY earlier this year that he had been present at the Capitol that day, but said he did not commit a crime. He said he had been interviewed by the FBI shortly after the insurrection.

“Everything’s been resolved, everything’s good,” he said in early 2023.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

gee, wonder what happened?
castigat ridendo mores.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... rcna124683
WASHINGTON — An associate of a Jan. 6 defendant pleaded guilty this week to charges that the two men plotted “to murder employees of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.”

Austin Carter, who was a 26-year-old security officer and a member of the Army Reserves at the time of his arrest in December 2022, admitted in a plea agreement that he “unlawfully and knowingly combined, conspired, and agreed with his co-defendant,” Edward Kelley, to kill FBI personnel.

Carter admitted that he provided a cooperating witness “with a list of FBI employees that CARTER received from KELLEY” on or about Dec. 13, 2022, and that Carter instructed the cooperating witness “to memorize the FBI employees identified on the list and then burn the list.” Kelley and Carter “discussed plans to attack the FBI Field Office in Knoxville, Tennessee” and that the purpose of the conspiracy was “to retaliate against government conduct,” Carter admitted.

A court filing from December said that the list Kelley provided included about 37 names of law enforcement personnel who worked on Kelley’s Jan. 6 case, and identified which officers were present when Kelley was arrested.
Flatpoint High
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:33 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/grego ... r-AA1jBGXQ
Gregory Yetman was never arrested after the Capitol riot. Now an FBI search is under way

A search was under way in Middlesex County, New Jersey, for Gregory Yetman, who is wanted for his role in the Jan. 6 Capitol riots, according to the FBI.

Yetman fled his home in the small town of Helmetta on Wednesday morning after FBI agents and local police attempted to serve him with an arrest warrant, Helmetta Mayor Christopher Slavicek told USA TODAY.

In videos from Jan. 6, the man identified as Yetman can be seen picking up a large canister of pepper spray from the ground and spraying it toward Capitol police and protesters. Photos of that man were posted on the FBI's wanted list for the insurrection, and he was labeled as suspect #278 AFO. AFO stands for “Assault on a Federal Officer.”

Yetman, who was a military police sergeant in the New Jersey National Guard at the time of the riot, told USA TODAY earlier this year that he had been present at the Capitol that day, but said he did not commit a crime. He said he had been interviewed by the FBI shortly after the insurrection.

“Everything’s been resolved, everything’s good,” he said in early 2023.
the gumshoes got him. He surrendered
https://6abc.com/gregory-yetman-helmett ... /14039612/
castigat ridendo mores.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Yes!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

My hold for Ryan's book Sedition Hunters is ready for pickup at the library. Guess what I'll be doing this afternoon.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”