Effect of DiFi's passing on the Senate (and who will replace her)

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://abc7.com/senator-dianne-feinste ... /13849612/
SAN FRANCISCO -- Senator Dianne Feinstein's remains returned to the Bay Area Saturday night, and was transported to a funeral home in San Francisco by a procession.

The body of the trailblazing politician, was transported to the Sinai Memorial Chapel in San Francisco. Feinstein's remains were accompanied by her daughter, Katherine Feinstein, as well as Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi and the senator's chief-of-staff.

Feinstein was the longest-serving female senator in U.S. history.
I haven't heard of any plans for her to lie in state in DC.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

busterbunker wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:14 am I like Barbara Lee just fine and her voting record. I live in her district. But I ain't gonna give you no blowback, she's starting to time out. We only get two senators so we need one who can stick around and get seniority and stuff.

I was never a fan of DiFi and the larger machine in which she was a part. Dating back to when she was mayor of SF, but that's off-topic.

The temp worker will be a loyal apparatchik. Padilla is an a loyal apparatchik. Some of my friends like Porter's politics, but she's too portly for the script. I'm rooting for Schiff.
:winner:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bob

Post by bob »

California's senior senator is now ... the person who replaced Harris in January 2021 (i.e., isn't very senior).
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

"For completeness," senators must be "inhabitants" of the states they represent.

Inhabitation is determined when the oath of office is taken.

It is relatively easy for someone (rich) to change inhabitation, as it is mostly a question of intent.
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

Santos was cribbing from this article.

"Article 5" was a reference to a draft of the U.S. Constitution. :brickwallsmall:
Image ImageImage
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Butler isn't being elected to the Senate. She is being appointed to it. Make any difference?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:16 pm Butler isn't being elected to the Senate. She is being appointed to it. Make any difference?
Ahem, channeling my inner bob: It depends. :mrgreen:

https://reason.com/volokh/2023/10/02/is ... alifornia/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

I'm not persuaded.

Article I specifies "when elected." But when Article I was written, senators were "elected" by states' legislatures. Because Butler wasn't elected, then the "be an Inhabitant"* requirement must refer to (if at all) when she was selected. So if a narrow definition of "elected" under these circumstances means "before when the governor selected her, and not after," then the governor just has to re-select Butler now that she intends to inhabit California.

The article talks about the difficulties in establishing a domicile (which means the intent to stay), but "domicile" isn't "inhabit."

Regardless, it is all academic because, as the article acknowledges, the Senate is the sole arbiter of a senator's qualifications. The 50-49 Senate isn't going to bounce Butler over this.

* It would appear "inhabitant" was a compromise at the Constitutional Convention because "resident" would suggest someone who resided there. At the time of First Congress, Congress convened in New York; senators resided there (or perhaps New Jersey) for at least part of the year. There was the fear someone would argue residing in New York/Jersey (and later Pennsylvania, once Congress moved to Philadelphia) would unreside senators from other states.
Image ImageImage
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

bob wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:12 pm
I'm not persuaded.

Article I specifies "when elected." But when Article I was written, senators were "elected" by states' legislatures. Because Butler wasn't elected, then the "be an Inhabitant"* requirement must refer to (if at all) when she was selected. So if a narrow definition of "elected" under these circumstances means "before when the governor selected her, and not after," then the governor just has to re-select Butler now that she intends to inhabit California.

The article talks about the difficulties in establishing a domicile (which means the intent to stay), but "domicile" isn't "inhabit."

Regardless, it is all academic because, as the article acknowledges, the Senate is the sole arbiter of a senator's qualifications. The 50-49 Senate isn't going to bounce Butler over this.

* It would appear "inhabitant" was a compromise at the Constitutional Convention because "resident" would suggest someone who resided there. At the time of First Congress, Congress convened in New York; senators resided there (or perhaps New Jersey) for at least part of the year. There was the fear someone would argue residing in New York/Jersey (and later Pennsylvania, once Congress moved to Philadelphia) would unreside senators from other states.
That being the case, given that she *does* own CA property (at least according to one article I've read), wouldn't she already be an 'inhabitant' if that term is explicitly separate from 'resident'?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Butler to be sworn in at 3 pm EDT today.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bob

Post by bob »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:02 pm Butler to be sworn in at 3 pm EDT today.
Taitz has like an hour to file her lawsuit! :waiting:
Image ImageImage
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Forcing Harris to swear in her former campaign advisor is totally Machiavellian. Newsom is angling for the White House, he's sporting an evil grin.
bob

Post by bob »

Guess Taitz didn't make it to the courthouse in time because Senator-designate Butler was sworn in.
Image ImageImage
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

She's from the same tiny little town (fewer than 2000 people) that my sister in law is, and she graduated from a local college. I hope she does us proud.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:51 pm She's from the same tiny little town (fewer than 2000 people) that my sister in law is, and she graduated from a local college. I hope she does us proud.
I think she already has.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Post by bob »

Feinstein will lie in state at San Francisco's City Hall.
Image ImageImage
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Here's some of the dope I'm getting from my community, now that we went full Monty Hall, door number three.

Folks are disappointed Barbara Lee didn't get the temp gig, it should have been hers.

Newsom speaks out of both sides of his mouth. Yeah, breaking news.

He called 8 or 9 black women before one finally accepted. The rest turned him down.
somerset

Post by somerset »

busterbunker wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:20 am Here's some of the dope I'm getting from my community, now that we went full Monty Hall, door number three.

Folks are disappointed Barbara Lee didn't get the temp gig, it should have been hers.

Newsom speaks out of both sides of his mouth. Yeah, breaking news.

He called 8 or 9 black women before one finally accepted. The rest turned him down.
Who are these folks?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Without knowing whether that's true or not, I'm glad there were 8 or 9 black women who were qualified, because the one he picked seems pretty impressive to me.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
bob

Post by bob »

somerset wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:59 amWho are these folks?
busterbunker lives in Lee's district (CA-12).
Image ImageImage
somerset

Post by somerset »

bob wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:33 pm
somerset wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:59 amWho are these folks?
busterbunker lives in Lee's district (CA-12).
Now I remember ;)

I've also donated to Schiff, and am happy Newsom appointed who I think is a very capable placeholder for the seat.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/dianne-feins ... f6f063cb04
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Mourners streamed into San Francisco City Hall on Wednesday to pay their respects to the late U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, honoring her as fearless, smart and the glue who kept the city together after two political assassinations that catapulted her into the mayor’s office and the national spotlight.

“She wasn’t afraid to do a man’s job. She wasn’t afraid to be a senator. She wasn’t afraid to go after what she wanted,” said Lawanda Carter, 48, of San Francisco. “And that’s encouragement for us women now to have courage.”

Carter was among the scores of everyday San Franciscans and political leaders alike who brought flowers, bowed their heads or clasped their hands in prayer as they stood before Feinstein’s casket, which was draped in an American flag and on display behind velvet ropes. Many said they had never met Feinstein, but wanted to honor an indefatigable public servant who fought to level the playing field for women, members of the LGBTQ community and racial minorities.

Return to “Current Politics”