💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

The 118th Congress with Kevin "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker /Clowns

Post by Frater I*I »

Annrc wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:22 pm Truth Suzie C. I am so sick of looking at his smug face. Would love to slap him.
I'll be in DC next week, would you like me to do it for you as your proxy should the opportunity arise....?
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
bob

Post by bob »

Politico: McHenry ordered Pelosi to leave her Capitol hideaway office by Wednesday:
The former speaker blasted the move as a “sharp departure from tradition.”

As one of his first acts as the acting speaker, Rep. Patrick McHenry ordered former Speaker Nancy Pelosi to vacate her Capitol hideaway office by Wednesday, according to an email sent to her office viewed by POLITICO.

“Please vacate the space tomorrow, the room will be re-keyed,” wrote a top aide on the Republican-controlled House Administration Committee. The room was being reassigned by the acting speaker “for speaker office use,” the email said.

McHenry, a close McCarthy ally, was first on his list to become acting speaker after the Californian was booted in a Tuesday afternoon vote.

Only a select few House lawmakers get hideaway offices in the Capitol, compared to their commonplace presence in the Senate.

The former speaker blasted the eviction in a statement as “a sharp departure from tradition,” adding that she had given former Speaker Dennis Hastert “a significantly larger suite of offices for as long as he wished” during her tenure.
Methinks there won't be an up-or-down vote on Ukraine spending.
Image ImageImage
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Does he really have the authority as acting s speaker? I wonder how gaetz ethics investigation goes now they he got his pound of flesh
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That didn't take long.

Show us where you're coming from without telling us where you're coming from.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Post by bob »

Dr. Ken wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:10 pm Does he really have the authority as acting s speaker?
Yes; the rules make pretty clear the Speaker pro tem. basically has as much power as the Speaker.

I see the point that the Speaker pro tem. ought to have an office in the Capitol Actual.

I would have suggested temporarily camping in the Speaker's office, and assigning Gaetz to the congressional equivalent of Siberia.
Image ImageImage
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:04 pm
Annrc wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:22 pm Truth Suzie C. I am so sick of looking at his smug face. Would love to slap him.
I'll be in DC next week, would you like me to do it for you as your proxy should the opportunity arise....?
Love it! Thanks in advance.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Pelosi said office space “doesn’t matter” to her, “but it seems to be important to them.”

“Sadly, because I am in California to mourn the loss of and pay tribute to my dear friend Dianne Feinstein, I am unable to retrieve my belongings at this time,” Pelosi said. “Now that the new Republican Leadership has settled this important matter, let’s hope they get to work on what’s truly important for the American people.”
So their first action was to be cowardly bitches as Pelosi is out of town, and they don't dare to do it face to face. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
Hic sunt dracones
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.salon.com/2011/05/25/patrick_mchenry/
McHenry has been one of the most completely shameless of House Republicans since his arrival in Congress, in 2005, when he immediately and publicly endorsed Tom DeLay's brilliant plan to exempt himself from ethics rules as his connections to Jack Abramoff began to end his career. But he was born to be cheerfully corrupt: He's a product of the College Republicans, an organization that trains little Lee Atwaters, Karl Roves and Grover Norquists in the arts of scorched-earth campaigning and wholly irresponsible "governing" on behalf of the monied interests that bought you your job. The ethos is win by any means necessary, legal or quasi-legal (or worse, as long as you never get caught), and McHenry was very good at that, according to Benjamin Wallace-Wells' memorable profile of the then-freshman in the Washington Monthly.

After the College Republicans, and a failed state legislature race, McHenry moved on to truly insidious conservative astroturfing/push-polling/communications firm DCI, then worked for Rove, then took a political appointment in the Bush administration, then moved to the district he now represents, where he started a real estate company that did not actually buy or sell any real estate, so that he could run for Congress as "a small businessman."

Once in the United States House of Representatives, McHenry personally intervened in a wild and bloody College Republican National Committee chair election, on behalf of a personal friend of his who'd become slightly toxic after he sent fundraising letters attempting to trick "elderly people with dementia" into donating to the CRNC. And he was successful! The horrible kid won, against all odds:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Here they go again. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Texas Republican will nominate Trump for Speaker of the House

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4237 ... the-house/
Rep. Troy Nehls (R-Texas) announced late Tuesday he will file paperwork to nominate former President Trump to be the next Speaker of the House.

“This week, when the U.S. House of Representatives reconvenes, my first order of business will be to nominate Donald J. Trump for Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives,” Nehls said in a statement. “President Trump, the greatest President of my lifetime, has a proven record of putting America First and will make the House great again.”

:snippity:

Before Republicans won back the House in the 2022 midterms, Trump said he would not be interested in taking the top job.

“No, I think that it’s not something I wanted. A lot of people bring it up. It’s brought up all the time,” he said last March. “No, it’s not something I want to do. I want to look at what’s happening, and then we’re going to be doing something else. No, it’s not something I would be interested in.”

Rep. Greg Steube (R-Fla.) also said he would back Trump for speaker.

McCarthy announced late Tuesday that he would not attempt to become Speaker again. The GOP conference will have a candidate forum next Tuesday to select their pick for the role, with Speaker Pro Tem Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) presiding.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

So they're back on vacation until Tuesday. They will regret the slap to Nancy Pelosi, wait and see. Worst move they could make.

POLITICO: The House GOP Is a Failed State
Kevin McCarthy’s ouster is dramatic evidence, if redundant, about the state of the modern GOP.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... e-00119842

Frank Luntz was LIVID. Appearing from London, on CNN he said, "Who's going to write the checks now?" (McCarthy was a big fundraiser.) And he meant it: "This is giving the House to the Democrats in 2024 guaranteed."

My favorite was a line from GA R Congressman Austin Scott: "They're not interested in governing. They're just interested in grifting."

What a mess that we all saw coming. Maybe this will start to wake them up. We should have an aggressive two-party system, this is just ridiculousness. But um that can be in 2025.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

This has to be read/seen to be believed. McCarthy's ouster now sets the stage for their master plan.

Luke Johnson 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious
#MikeLindell: Tonight on a Fantasyland #LindellReport, bursting-with-excitement Ivan Raiklin about 6 mins in lays out "The Next Phase" to "castrate the Deep State" to cheering & applause from Mike, Brannon Howse & Patriot Club of America in MD. Buckle up, it's something else. 🚀
5:02 AM · Oct 4, 2023

Raiklin: "We have a lawless illegitimate executive branch being funded to weaponize against our Constitutional rights." "It's great not to have a functioning House & defund the Exec Branch until 1/3/25..." Brannon: "So the FBI will be defunded & can't run around & steal phones?"

🚀 On a WILD episode of #LindellReport on #FrankSpeech, Mike Lindell & Brannon Howse are joined by aggressive #ElectionDenier Ivan Raiklin. They discuss post-McCarthy, including Trump as Speaker & Indicting everybody. Interview: https://frankspeech.com/Video/kevin-mcc ... r-now-what

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1709 ... 57912.html

Video at FrankSpeech (not on Rumble yet). Ivan appears about 6 minutes in: https://frankspeech.com/Video/kevin-mcc ... r-now-what

Speechless.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

is this the lighter side?

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Who Is Voting For Donald Trump As Next House Speaker?

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-h ... 1696408511
At least three GOP House members—Texas Rep. Troy Nehls, Florida's Greg Steube and Georgia's Marjorie Taylor Greene—have already indicated that they will support the former president in voting to select a new House Speaker.

"This week, when the U.S. House of Representatives reconvenes, my first order of business will be to nominate Donald J. Trump for Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives," Nehls said in a statement. "President Trump, the greatest President of my lifetime, has a proven record of putting America First and will make the House great again."

In a post on X, formerly Twitter, Steube wrote "@realDonaldTrump for Speaker."

Greene added that Trump is the "only candidate for Speaker I am currently supporting" in a lengthy X post praising the former president.

"We can make him Speaker and then elect him President," Greene added.

Tennessee rep. Andy Ogles included Trump's name in a list of potential candidates for House Speaker, but did not say whether he would support the former president. Ohio's Jim Jordan—seen as a potential replacement for McCarthy—told Fox News' Sean Hannity that Trump would be "great" as House Speaker, but did not suggest he would vote for him.
If a handful of MAGA fanatics vote repeatedly for Trump for Speaker the House GOP will be unable to elect anyone without some House Democrats' votes. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

bob wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:23 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:22 pm Why did Gaetz want McCarthy out?
Gaetz said the proverbial backbreaker was the "secret" deal with Democrats to vote on Ukraine funding.

But, really, Gaetz never wanted McCarthy in.
They were all wishing on monkey paws, all around. And I'm waiting to see what happens next. :daydreaming:
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:22 pm Why did Gaetz want McCarthy out?
Gaetz probably just wanted to fundraise off his heroic efforts to get rid of the deep state. Deep down he is probably horrified his vote actually got rid of McCarthy as now he has to try and pretend a MAGA firebrand is the Deep state if he wants to get in the MAGA buks.
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

McHenry is kicking Pelosi out of her Capitol Hill office.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/03/politics ... index.html
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Republicans are in a big mad pout that Democrats did not bail them out and are now on a "petty bitch" tour:

https://www.threads.net/@griffinkyle/post/Cx-oeHhuiVh
Kyle Griffin (@griffinkyle) on Threads
Steny Hoyer, the former majority leader, has also been directed to vacate his workspace in the Capitol. @NBCNews
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

No link yet, but just heard on MSNBC that Gym Jordan is in the running.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Andrew Solender @AndrewSolender wrote: “I wanted to meet with Steve first, so I did that,” Jordan says.

“We’ll see” if he can get support from moderates. “We need to unite the conference, I think I can do that. My colleagues who have reached out to me seem to think the same thing.”
Andrew Solender @AndrewSolender wrote:NEWS: Asked if he’s running for speaker, Rep. Jim Jordan replies: “Yes.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:41 am No link yet, but just heard on MSNBC that Gym Jordan is in the running.
CNN reporting that as well. ?? Does that mean he has to step down from his committees if he wins?
bob

Post by bob »

If there's a House rule that says the Speaker can't chair a committee, a majority could change that rule.
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/pol ... 055712007/
It's official: Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan is running to be the next speaker of the U.S. House.

"We are at a critical crossroad in our nation's history," Jordan wrote in a letter to House Republicans on Wednesday. "Now is the time for our Republican conference to come together to keep our promises to Americans. The problems we face are challenging, but they are not insurmountable. We can focus on the changes that improve the country and unite us in offering real solutions."

He concluded: "I respectfully ask for your support for Speaker of the House of Representatives."
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I love Fetterman!
-

Igor Bobic
@igorbobic
Fetterman on House speaker drama:

“Replacing one dick with a different kind of dick isn’t going to change anything in the House. We’re one DNA test from the Jerry Springer show.”

Return to “Current Politics”