State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Post by raison de arizona »

FO remains to be seen.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Oh dear.

https://www.threads.net/@lincolnproject ... BiNWFlZA==
The Lincoln Project (@lincolnproject.us) on Threads

BREAKING: Judge Engoron has just ordered a gag order against Donald Trump for posting a personal attack on the judge's clerk, attorney Allison Greenfield. Violating this order could land Trump in jail for 30 days.
Oh dear.
Hic sunt dracones
much ado

Post by much ado »

(Lock him up! Lock him up!! Lock him up!!!)

(At least for a few hours. Serve him jail food.)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Jail food might be better than the junk food he likes so much. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

NYT reporting the Judges order applies to the Judge and all his staff and the staff of the court.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/03/nyre ... =url-share
Hic sunt dracones
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
Judge Arthur Engoron rebuked Donald Trump after the former president attacked his clerk in a social media post on Tuesday and forbade the parties from making any future comments about his staff.

"This morning one of the defendants posted on social media account a disparaging untrue and personally identifying post about a member of my staff. Although I have since ordered the post deleted and apparently it was, it was also emailed out to millions of other recipients," the judge said in court.
"Personal attacks of any member of my court staff are unacceptable, inappropriate and I will not tolerate them," the judge said.
The judge then said all parties must not speak publicly about any members of the court staff.

"Consider this statement an order forbidding all parties from posting emailing or speaking publicly about any members of my staff,” Engoron said. “Failure to abide by this .. will result in serious sanctions."

Trump posted on Truth Social Tuesday attacking Engoron’s clerk, claiming she was a “girlfriend” to Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, a New York Democrat, and showing a picture of the two of them together.

“How disgraceful!” Trump wrote. “This case should be dismissed immediately.”

It was not immediately clear there was a connection between Engoron’s clerk and Schumer beyond taking a photo.

Monday, Trump also went after the clerk in his comments outside the courtroom, though he didn’t mention her by name.

“And this rogue judge, a Trump hater. The only one that hates Trump more is his associate up there,” Trump said. “The person that works with him. She’s screaming into his ear almost every time we ask a question. A disgrace. It’s a disgrace.”
Lisa Rubin on MSNBC was in the courtroom. She was only on air for this news briefly, but it sounds like the judge was pissed.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

About time.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

His arrogance is on full display, and this is only the first trial. There are three more. Plus his own case. He's going to pop a cork, and get himself arrested.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

bill_g wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:00 pm His arrogance is on full display, and this is only the first trial. There are three more. Plus his own case. He's going to pop a cork, and get himself arrested.
A boy can dream...
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:50 pm :snippity:

Not saying Habba and Kise should necessarily get a pass, but to the extent they’re hamstrung by the decisions that are the client’s to make, they’ve got to play the hand they were dealt.
Too bad all the cards they got are jokers..... :violin:

I'll come in again....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

bill_g wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:00 pm His arrogance is on full display, and this is only the first trial. There are three more. Plus his own case. He's going to pop a cork, and get himself arrested.
I was hoping he'd pull the plug on the hallway rants fuckhead gives every time he comes in and out of the courtroom. Those are also disgraceful.

At the Alex Jones trial in...? Arizona ? Texas ? The judge forbade Jones from giving his post testimony rants on the courthouse premises (including the steps outside). Jones would go out on the sidewalk and spew vitriol and lies. Then he would go to his lair and malign the judge in living color (he favored flaming eyes and pitchforks).
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bob wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:02 pm Having said that, this is exactly why shipping clerks should* keep a low profile; to the protect the court from even an appearance of impropriety.
What is a shipping clerk, what is s/he supposed to do and what is this one doing wrong?

Thanks!!
bob

Post by bob »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:14 pm What is a shipping clerk, what is s/he supposed to do and what is this one doing wrong?
"Shipping clerk" is an inside joke here, referring to courts' clerks. Or, occasionally, the law clerk of a judge, who, despite the title, is an attorney.

Law clerks "advise" the judges on the law (i.e., do the heavy lifting on research and drafting). And, occasionally, they do pass notes or whisper in a judge's ear, if the judge asked a question and wanted an immediate answer.

This particular clerk hasn't done anything wrong; the defendants are just trying to make hay and channel rage.

The photo of the clerk with Schumer is unfortunate; some clerks would not have taken that picture, or taken only pictures within obvious context, e.g., "here's Schumer posing with the entire audience at a seminar sponsored by the court."

That government lawyers, even ones working in the judicial branch, may meet politicians at professional gatherings, is common enough.
Image ImageImage
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Shipping clerks handle bills of lading, general average, demurrage, flotsam, jetsam and all other admiralty requirements. I hope that helps. :roll:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bob wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:20 pm "Shipping clerk" is an inside joke here, referring to courts' clerks. Or, occasionally, the law clerk of a judge, who, despite the title, is an attorney.
Thanks, bob!
chancery wrote:Shipping clerks handle, bills of lading, general average, demurrage, flotsam, jetsam and all other admiralty requirements. I hope that helps.
Very helpful :mrgreen: :lol: Thanks!!
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Are there any predictions on how long this trial will last?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

“Consider this statement a gag order forbidding all parties from posting, emailing, or speaking publicly about any of my staff,” he said, revealing he had ordered Trump’s post deleted.

“Personal attacks on members of my court staff are unacceptable, inappropriate and I will not tolerate them in any circumstances.”

So does this include the judge? It effing should. But I suppose he is waiting a piccy of fuckhead aiming a baseball bat at his (Engoron's) head.

So apparently there was some off-the-record talk among the parties. I'm guessing Engoron told fuckhead's lolyers to knock it the hell off. Time will tell.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:31 pm “Consider this statement a gag order forbidding all parties from posting, emailing, or speaking publicly about any of my staff,” he said, revealing he had ordered Trump’s post deleted.

“Personal attacks on members of my court staff are unacceptable, inappropriate and I will not tolerate them in any circumstances.”

So does this include the judge? It effing should. But I suppose he is waiting a piccy of fuckhead aiming a baseball bat at his (Engoron's) head.

So apparently there was some off-the-record talk among the parties. I'm guessing Engoron told fuckhead's lolyers to knock it the hell off. Time will tell.
Just as importantly, does it include the prosecutors?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

https://themessenger.com/politics/trump ... uth-social
While the trial took an early afternoon break, Trump and New York Attorney General Letitia James moved in and out of court multiple times for private conferences with the judge. The first of these conferences had no stenographer memorializing the conversations. The former president, his son Eric Trump, and his lawyers Christopher Kise and Alina Habba were seen entering and exiting the courthouse repeatedly over the recess.
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

My new theory, as of this afternoon, is that TFG is hoping to piss the judge off enough to warrant a mistrial. TFG doesn't care how he gets it. And if not a mistrial, then something for the appellate courts to reverse it. He just needs to have the judge blow up, just keep poking the judge with a stick until... (If mistrial, then the next trial date would be in late 2024 would be my guess). And new judge, etc.
Just my thought process and if I am right, this latest threat of sanctions by the judge simply will spur TFG onto bigger and better threats until the reaction he wants occurs.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

He's extra good at this kind of strategic thinking. :lol:
You are what you eat.
Last night I was a chicken quesadilla.
somerset

Post by somerset »

Fiascoist wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:49 pm My new theory, as of this afternoon, is that TFG is hoping to piss the judge off enough to warrant a mistrial. TFG doesn't care how he gets it. And if not a mistrial, then something for the appellate courts to reverse it. He just needs to have the judge blow up, just keep poking the judge with a stick until... (If mistrial, then the next trial date would be in late 2024 would be my guess). And new judge, etc.
Just my thought process and if I am right, this latest threat of sanctions by the judge simply will spur TFG onto bigger and better threats until the reaction he wants occurs.
This is a civil trial with no jury. Kinda hard to get a mistrial.
bob

Post by bob »

somerset wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:55 pm This is a civil trial with no jury. Kinda hard to get a mistrial.
Yeah; basically would have to do something that could goad the judge into doing something beyond the pale. If the judge remains relatively chill, no mistrial (and no winning argument on appeal for judicial misconduct).
Image ImageImage

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”