💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Slim Cognito
Verified:

The 118th Congress with Kevin "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker /Clowns

Post by Slim Cognito »

I know I've said this a million times before, but we watched the Jan 6 coverage on PBS and there were scores of people getting the hell outta Dodge as we watched other people climbing the Capitol walls. Anybody with kids and strollers were long gone before any tear gas was lobbed. They may be pissed at the election results but they weren't going to stick around for an insurrection.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

:yeahthat:
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

You can have my chocolate milk when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers lips. Or not. I'm lactose intolerant, so I'd probably give it up readily.
Acyn @Acyn wrote: It’s late and Rep. Tiffany is proposing an amendment to protect chocolate milk with a come and take it sign
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Well its probably a better use of his time than watching the Republican debate.
Hic sunt dracones
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Good thing the House doesm't have anything else it needs to get done by the end of the week, eh?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Suranis wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:48 am Well its probably a better use of his time than watching the Republican debate.
So is getting your fingernails pulled out in a Viet Cong POW Camp.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/freedom-c ... eport-says
Freedom Caucus Eyeing Plan to Oust McCarthy as Early as Next Week: Report

‘PALACE INTRIGUE’
AJ McDougall

Breaking News Reporter
Published Sep. 28, 2023 9:29PM EDT
Jonathan Ernst/Reuters

Members of the far-right House Freedom Caucus are planning a coup and intend to dethrone Speaker Kevin McCarthy as early as next week, four people familiar with the matter told The Washington Post. The newspaper reported late Thursday that the ultraconservative faction is eyeing Rep. Tom Emmer (R-MN), the No. 3 House Republican, as McCarthy’s replacement. The caucus believes that Emmer will be more pliant and “attuned to their concerns,” the Post reported. Two insiders familiar with Emmer’s thinking said that it was unclear whether he would support McCarthy’s overthrow, or want to take up the speakership himself. “I fully support Speaker McCarthy. He knows that and I know that," Emmer told the Post in a statement. “I have zero interest in palace intrigue. End of discussion.” Making matters worse is the timing of the situation: just days before a potential government shutdown.
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Nothing moves in the House without a speaker in place. The shutdown will become unbearable for millions, and they won't care.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Suranis wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:44 pm https://www.thedailybeast.com/freedom-c ... eport-says

‘PALACE INTRIGUE’
AJ McDougall

Breaking News Reporter
Jonathan Ernst/Reuters

Members of the far-right House Freedom Caucus are planning a coup and intend to dethrone Speaker Kevin McCarthy as early as next week, four people familiar with the matter told The Washington Post. The newspaper reported late Thursday that the ultraconservative faction is eyeing Rep. Tom Emmer (R-MN), the No. 3 House Republican, as McCarthy’s replacement. The caucus believes that Emmer will be more pliant and “attuned to their concerns,” the Post reported. Two insiders familiar with Emmer’s thinking said that it was unclear whether he would support McCarthy’s overthrow, or want to take up the speakership himself. “I fully support Speaker McCarthy. He knows that and I know that," Emmer told the Post in a statement. “I have zero interest in palace intrigue. End of discussion.” Making matters worse is the timing of the situation: just days before a potential government shutdown.
So who is Tom Emmer? He's the Republican who replaced Michele Bachmann in the House in 2015. He lost his bid to be governor of Minnesota in 2010 to a Democrat whom I was not thrilled with. Minnesota is one of the states in which restaurants cannot adjust a restaurant server's wages by tips received. Emmer wanted to change that, declaring that some servers, in 2010, were making over $100,000/year in wages plus tips. I am NOT a fan of Emmer.
June bug

Post by June bug »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:47 pm Nothing moves in the House without a speaker in place. The shutdown will become unbearable for millions, and they won't care.
CNN just flashed that with McCarthy in place for now, they passed a procedural vote on some godawful funding bill. Meanwhile Rand Paul is slow walking any action by the Senate. They’re looking to blame the Dems for the shutdown. Whether that will work or not, I don’t know, but clearly that’s their plan.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I think that's one of the few propaganda things that doesn't work as well for the republicans.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2 ... s-00119085
Matt Gaetz is privately courting some House Democrats to help him oust Kevin McCarthy from the speakership.

The Florida Republican, who is threatening to force a vote on booting McCarthy if he works with Democrats to avoid a shutdown, approached multiple Democrats on the floor late Thursday night to discuss how they would vote on a possible vote of no confidence against McCarthy.

Among the Democrats he spoke to: Congressional Progressive Caucus Chair Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.).

While liberals have never been expected to bail out McCarthy, Gaetz’s maneuvering is the latest sign that he is serious about his efforts to try to oust the speaker in the coming days. His conversations with Democrats were confirmed by three people familiar with the discussions.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:02 pm
Suranis wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:44 pm https://www.thedailybeast.com/freedom-c ... eport-says

‘PALACE INTRIGUE’
AJ McDougall

Breaking News Reporter
Jonathan Ernst/Reuters

:snippity:
No. 3 House Republican?

Stefanik would love to hear that. Not.
bob

Post by bob »

Click through to see the community-notes trolling. :thumbsup:
Image ImageImage
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

It's like the agreement he made in May with Biden was just a dream....

Though it is interesting to observe the cornered-rat desperation in his thought processes.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I heard on the news that the Senate said they would deliver a bill Saturday morning. That’s why you have ask these idiots crowing that the Senate has done nothing, they won’t be able to do that after tomorrow morning, so they’ve got to get it all in now.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:09 pm I heard on the news that the Senate said they would deliver a bill Saturday morning. That’s why you have ask these idiots crowing that the Senate has done nothing, they won’t be able to do that after tomorrow morning, so they’ve got to get it all in now.
I don't understand what a purported Senate bill would do. The Constitution requires that any bill to authorize spending MUST originate in the House of Representatives.

So, how can the Senate pass a bill that would authorize even a continuing resolution?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Can't the House, (if it was a sane House) start with the Senate bill, make a few changes of their own and return it, claiming it as their new and improved bill?

(I never got that whole "new and improved" crap. Either it's new or it's old but improved, but whatev.)

ImageImageImage x4
bob

Post by bob »

Image ImageImage
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bob wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:46 pm
Welp, there's his excuse for pulling the speakership
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Ok, he can easily call for a vote (I think?) but what's the likelihood it would pass the House? I'd like to think Dems would sit it out and let the GOP destroy each other. Maybe this time it will come to fisticuffs. But I don't know any whip counts so....

Sometimes it's best to deal with the devil you know vs the devil you don't know. McCarthy sucks eggs but he did the right thing today, fuck Rapey McForehead.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Republican House Speaker McCarthy faces ouster threat for avoiding shutdown

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/republ ... 023-10-01/
Top U.S. House Republican Kevin McCarthy could face an untimely end to his role as speaker if party hardliners oust him, for averting a costly government shutdown on Saturday with a stopgap bill that drew more support from Democrats than Republicans.

The Republican-controlled House of Representatives voted 335-91 to adopt a 45-day stopgap measure hours before funding for federal agencies was set to expire. The Democratic-led Senate later approved the same bill with bipartisan support and sent it to President Joe Biden to sign into law.

But soon after the House action, hardline Republican conservatives began targeting McCarthy's role as speaker, claiming he had scored a victory for the "Uniparty" of Washington.

"Should he remain Speaker of the House?" Republican Representative Andy Biggs, a leading hardliner, asked on the social platform X, formerly known as Twitter.

McCarthy decided to bring a vote on a measure that could win Democratic support, knowing full well that it could jeopardize his job. One of his advisers told Reuters the speaker believed some hardliners would try to oust him under any circumstances.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Matt Gaetz has announced that he will attempt to remove McCarthy as Speaker.

So, who will Gaetz put forward as a new Speaker? What will the Democrats do?

Drama in the House.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

McCarthy was a dead man walking from the second he groveled his way into the speakership.

ImageImageImage x4
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:38 am McCarthy was a dead man walking from the second he groveled his way into the speakership.
There are worn, dog-eared paperback novels on my bookshelf with more of a spine than His Kevin.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"

Return to “Current Politics”