trump (convicted felon, defamer, insurrectionist, contemnor, and rapist - $537M)

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

trump (the former guy, defamer, and rapist)

Post by Frater I*I »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:00 pm I'm guessing he's going with the extension cord thing because every boat we ever had had a couple of batteries for, you know, raising the prop, cranking over the motor and stuff, and I don't know a damn thing about boats, other than they're money pits.
B.O.A.T:

Break Out Another Thousand...

I'll come in again... :bag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Regarding his and the boys claim of MAL being worth $1.5B, part of me would like to see him prove it. However, you would get somebody like the Saudi royal family who might buy it for that. The resort would not be the value they are after and would be nothing but a little add-on trinket for their more significant purchase.

If he doesn't get elected, that would be a really expensive lemon.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:00 pm I'm guessing he's going with the extension cord thing because every boat we ever had had a couple of batteries for, you know, raising the prop, cranking over the motor and stuff, and I don't know a damn thing about boats, other than they're money pits.
Off Topic
As a good friend who once owned a boat said, your best days in life are the day you get a boat and the day you get rid of the boat.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

northland10 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:23 pm If he doesn't get elected ...
:o
"Man Struck By Lightning Faces Battery Charge"
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ty-service
Donald Trump is suing a former MI6 officer and the intelligence consultancy he founded, high court records in England show.

The former US president, who is mired in lawsuits in his own country, is bringing a data protection claim against Orbis Business Intelligence and its founder Christopher Steele, who previously ran the secret intelligence service’s Russia desk.

According to a court order published on Thursday, a two-day hearing for the legal action is set to start on 16 October , the PA news agency reported.

No other details of the case have been made available and the current frontrunner for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination is not expected to attend.

Steele was the author of the so-called Steele dossier, which included allegations that Trump had been “compromised” by Russian security service the FSB.
I don't know how he keeps track of all his lawsuits. I guess someone else does it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Does Steele live in the US. If not, how hard is it to sue someone in US courts if they live in a different country?

Oh wait! Is he filing in GB?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:23 pm Does Steele live in the US. If not, how hard is it to sue someone in US courts if they live in a different country?

Oh wait! Is he filing in GB?
Yep! "high court records in England"

Also, it's easier to successfully sue for libel in the UK than in the US.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Ah, but it says he has a "data protection claim," not a libel or slander claim.

Whatever that is. :smoking:
"Man Struck By Lightning Faces Battery Charge"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Is his claim based on pre-Brexit EU regulations, or post-Brexit UK regulations? Also too, the Steele dossier was created around 2015. Claims may be time barred.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:58 pm Ah, but it says he has a "data protection claim," not a libel or slander claim.

Whatever that is. :smoking:
Sounds like the former guy would like to invoke privacy laws. As personality in the public sphere he would be limited, needs a very competent lawyer to argue such a case. As for data protection laws, the codification at time of writing the Steele dossier would be used, the laws have become stricter since then. IMHO the former guy will have difficulty to proceed cause there were no contractual obligations between the parties. IMHO he first would have needed to request his personal data profile, then asked for correction, or deletion, years ago. IIRC the original was a workproduct commissioned by conservative interests from Fusion GPS, later aquired by the Democrats. Author Steele was a hired writer. I expect naming Steeles current company will fail. Also claims against Steele now are questionable cause he then was a employee. Fuskon GPS, now defunct, would be proper target.

Disclaimer: IANAL
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

RTH: the action is in the English courts, where defamation laws are not similar to the USA's.

My understanding (also very much not-a-law-ya) is that English defamation law requires the alleged defamer to prove their allegedly defamatory statements. If I have understood, the burden of proof is effectively opposite to the US, especially for public figures.

Time limits, etc. I know nothing about.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Wasn’t this a work product, compilation of intelligence from sources reliable and not? It wasn’t an article.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:00 pm Is his claim based on pre-Brexit EU regulations, or post-Brexit UK regulations? Also too, the Steele dossier was created around 2015. Claims may be time barred.
GDPR* was effective in 2018 after everything happened, and it looks like the UK passed an identical law in 2022. I am not sure if the UK law is being treated as retroactive to GDPR effective date or if they restart in 2022?

I don't know if they are suing under GDPR or the UK equivalent.

*GDPR: General Data Protection Regulation. This is the EU law that my day job instituted organization-wide because it was the easiest and most efficient way to deal with it, given our international nature.
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

If the Sandworms lawyers actually tried to raise a suit under GDPR in the UK, dey be SOL. Most (all material elements ) of the provisions under GDPR were incorporated into the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA 2018).

So, the relevant authority is the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) who HAVE to have the issue raised with them and they DO NOT involve themselves in this sort of sh*t.

I'm not going to go into the nitty gritty around data privacy but can state with some degree of authority that any attempt by Tiny Hands to try and use GDPR or DPA 2018 to sue an individual will not ever get to the stage of failure.

As such I have to assume this is a libel case brought under the Defemation Act 2013, although the probabilities of success are still vanishing small. As IANAL I can see at least a couple of defenses including the ever popular

Section 8 – The single publication rule

The single publication rule provides that the limitation period of 12 months runs from the date of first publication to the public, notwithstanding any subsequent publication of a statement which is substantially the same. It, effectively, ended the indefinite liability for online publications, which are ‘published’ each time they are accessed (previously ‘resetting’ the limitation period each time).

Section 9 – Action against persons not domiciled in the UK or an EU/Lugano Convention State

Section 9 provides that the court will not have jurisdiction to hear a defamation claim where the prospective defendant is resident outside of the UK, European Union, or the Lugano Convention states (Norway, Switzerland and Denmark), unless it can be satisfied that England and Wales is clearly the most appropriate place to bring the action. Parliament enacted this provision to address (somewhat exaggerated) concerns about ‘libel tourism’: foreign litigants using the courts of England and Wales to recover damages for libel from foreign publishers where the libel was more widely published in other jurisdictions.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:44 am
northland10 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:23 pm If he doesn't get elected ...
:o
I hope I was being hypothetical.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Donald Trump at the Republican Convention in California says “rich people from Beverly Hills, generally speaking, don’t smell so good” because of water rationing.

“So, when you meet somebody with a beautiful house in Beverly Hills, you know that person is sort of disgusting.”

Trump in California: "The state is rigged ... no way we lose this state in a real election" (Trump lost to Biden by more than 30 points in 2020)
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

This is a PAC not directly from Biden-Harris, but still funny.

Biden-Harris HQ (@BidenHQ)
Trump: We’re going to win California in a very big, beautiful, historic landslah. And you know, most candidates wouldgyah then we’re gonna win California
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:confuzzled: "we are going to win the California primary in a very big beautiful historical landslide" :think: :doh:

Does he mean to say that he, the former guy, will lead the Republican primaries, or did he think he could tell his GOPlets that the general election was theirs :?: :think:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:16 pm :confuzzled: "we are going to win the California primary in a very big beautiful historical landslide" :think: :doh:

Does he mean to say that he, the former guy, will lead the Republican primaries, or did he think he could tell his GOPlets that the general election was theirs :?: :think:
He's not talking Republican primary. He is talking about winning CA in the general electon :rotflmao:. Look up thread a couple of posts to the clip I posted.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Back in 2016 he was still doing Rallys in California in September. I don't know about October but no-one could talk him out of going there as he was convinced he could get it. Probably he wanted to "own" Hollywood for some slight or other.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Clearly he's still pissed at Hollywood since he claims they are smelly disgusting people. We are not in complete disagreement, but in my case I consider him part of the disgustingsmellyratzy as well.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Trump calls the Beverly Hills folk dirty so he can complain about water rationing because he hates low flow shower heads.

Next he will be complaining about folks in Louisiana refusing to drink salt water.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bob

Post by bob »

bill_g wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:28 am Clearly he's still pissed at Hollywood since he claims they are smelly disgusting people. We are not in complete disagreement, but in my case I consider him part of the disgustingsmellyratzy as well.
... yet has no problem with its rich donors give him money. :confuzzled:

(His California trip was neither a social call nor for sightseeing; it was to get OPM.)
Image ImageImage
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

bob wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:07 am
bill_g wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:28 am Clearly he's still pissed at Hollywood since he claims they are smelly disgusting people. We are not in complete disagreement, but in my case I consider him part of the disgustingsmellyratzy as well.
... yet has no problem with its rich donors give him money. :confuzzled:

(His California trip was neither a social call nor for sightseeing; it was to get OPM.)
Isn't it always? The man only has one speed.
bob

Post by bob »

To be fair, Dark Brandon also was in California this week, doing the same thing.

Dark Brandon, however, made the bold decision to not insult any Californians while doing so.
Image ImageImage

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”