US v. Trump - Espionage Act - (9:23-cr-80101) District Court, S.D. Florida

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*

Will this case go to trial before the primary elections?

Yes, and it will be a wonderful circus
23%
No, Judge Cannon will dismiss the case on a motion to dismiss
5%
No, Trump’s attorneys will work out a plea bargain
2%
No, the case will be in the appeals court through the 2024 election
19%
No, Judge Cannon will grant numerous motions to delay the case
29%
No, this case will NEVER go to trial, but I don't know what will happen
8%
Some other option, which I will describe in a post.
3%
Debilitating brain aneurysm
10%

Total votes: 124

Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:49 pm That's why I think he will one day take the stand in at least one of his cases.
:yeahthat: :yeahthat:
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Judge Cannon ruled that Trump must only view classified documents in a SCIF, and she strongly implied that it not be at Mar-a-Lago.

It is amazing that Trump was asking the court to allow him to repeat the crime for which he is charged (keeping docs at MAL) while he is on trial for doing so.

It is true that there is a Secret Service presence there, but that does not make it a SCIF.

I remember reading somewhere that he suggested building a SCIF at his club. Can a private individual even HAVE a SCIF that meets the requirements of the federal security agencies? Wouldn't private ownership automatically bring into question the integrity of the SCIF? And that doesn't even take into consideration his well-earned reputation for lying, double dealing, cheating and being otherwise untrustworthy.
bob

Post by bob »

noblepa wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:28 pm I remember reading somewhere that he suggested building a SCIF at his club. Can a private individual even HAVE a SCIF that meets the requirements of the federal security agencies? Wouldn't private ownership automatically bring into question the integrity of the SCIF? And that doesn't even take into consideration his well-earned reputation for lying, double dealing, cheating and being otherwise untrustworthy.
IIRC, the Republicans made a to-do about the disclosure of third-party SCIFs, usually at law firms that handle security-related litigation.

In other words, they do exist, but only with the government's blessing.
Image ImageImage
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Teri Kanefield
@Teri_Kanefield@law-and-politics.online
Cannon isn't giving Trump what he wants.

Here's the latest order:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .150.0.pdf
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

News, Opinions & Views
@newsopinionsandviews@mastodon.social
Raw Story:
Trump co-defendant Walt Nauta loses bid for wide access to classified docs

Walt Nauta, a personal valet for Donald Trump, was barred from being able to broadly view classified information in his Florida trial.

In a Wednesday order, U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon ruled against Nauta's bid to have comprehensive access to classified documents that his boss allegedly mishandled.

https://www.rawstory.com/walt-nauta-cla ... documents/
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Judge Cannon just quietly revealed why Trump can't delay longer: legal expert

https://www.rawstory.com/cannon-documents-no-delay/
Legal analyst Lisa Rubin noted that Judge Cannon, who has previously been reversed on appeal for her deference to the former president in an underlying civil matter, entered a fourth order on Wednesday in which she summarized other orders issued throughout the day. In that filing, however, there is reportedly a hidden nugget of key information.

"Judge Aileen Cannon entered a fourth order today, both summarizing her rulings on the government's protective order motion and setting up further briefing. But in a footnote, she seems to have quantified the volume of classified discovery to come," Rubin wrote.

Specifically, Rubin reported, Cannon "says that yesterday, the Special Counsel acknowledged the classified information in this case 'consists of approximately 3,500 pages classified at various levels.'"

Rubin then added:

"If that's the totality of the classified information at issue, Trump's team review and analysis thereof may not exactly justify further delay. After all, the general rule of thumb is that a banker's box of materials contains roughly 3,000 pages."
much ado

Post by much ado »

bob wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:44 pm
noblepa wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:28 pm I remember reading somewhere that he suggested building a SCIF at his club. Can a private individual even HAVE a SCIF that meets the requirements of the federal security agencies? Wouldn't private ownership automatically bring into question the integrity of the SCIF? And that doesn't even take into consideration his well-earned reputation for lying, double dealing, cheating and being otherwise untrustworthy.
IIRC, the Republicans made a to-do about the disclosure of third-party SCIFs, usually at law firms that handle security-related litigation.

In other words, they do exist, but only with the government's blessing.
Yes. Really. If it is in the government's interest that you have a third-party SCIF, and they trust you (security clearances and all), then sure, you can have one.

However, if you are under criminal indictment by the government for the mishandling of privileged government documents, then there is no way you will get the government's blessing for your own SCIF. (Give me an effin' break.)

But since it was Judge Cannon, I guess they felt they had to ask.

But she may no longer be the push-over she once was. So sad, Donald.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Doesn't matter, I no longer believe in the US judicial system. This mutt will slide on everything and die in its Florida shitgibbon hovel.
much ado

Post by much ado »

John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:47 pm Doesn't matter, I no longer believe in the US judicial system. This mutt will slide on everything and die in its Florida shitgibbon hovel.
Maybe so, but in the meanwhile, I just delight in how miserable all this is making his miserable life and how much it is costing him/his supporters. That, in itself, more than justifies the effort.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:47 pm Doesn't matter, I no longer believe in the US judicial system. This mutt will slide on everything and die in its Florida shitgibbon hovel.
And for those that think GA will be the key...the State SC is all QOP, who eventually will be up for reelection...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I just sat through a shitgibbon judge ignore all the evidence presented and rule for a NPD fucknut.

I do not believe justice is available.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

much ado wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:56 pm
Maybe so, but in the meanwhile, I just delight in how miserable all this is making his miserable life and how much it is costing him/his supporters. That, in itself, more than justifies the effort.
Add to the misery that he cannot leave the country. No visits to his golf resorts in Ireland and the UK. :violin:
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

much ado wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:42 pm
bob wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:44 pm In other words, they do exist, but only with the government's blessing.
Yes. Really. If it is in the government's interest that you have a third-party SCIF, and they trust you (security clearances and all), then sure, you can have one.

However, if you are under criminal indictment by the government for the mishandling of privileged government documents, then there is no way you will get the government's blessing for your own SCIF. (Give me an effin' break.)
Every significant defense contractor in the world has a bunch of SCIFs, overseen by fire-breathing dedicated Government Security teams that make sure that procedures are followed without exception. At our place, we even have our own fire department because city firefighters don't have the needed security clearances to enter a burning SCIF (ours also have a lot more specialized training in hazmat procedures). Everyone ignores the one unmarked, inconspicuous door in the middle of a very long hallway because that's probably an entrance to a SCIF. They certainly don't label them with big red signs.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Republican Accountability @AccountableGOP wrote: Trump on taking classified documents: “I’m allowed to have these documents. I’m allowed to take these documents…When I have them, they become unclassified. People think you have to go through a ritual. You don’t, at least in my opinion.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

JUST IN: Prosecutors say they’ve turned over 1.28 million pages and more than 1,700 hours of CCTV footage to Trump and codefendants in the Florida docs case. storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.usco…
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:19 pm
Republican Accountability @AccountableGOP wrote: Trump on taking classified documents: “I’m allowed to have these documents. I’m allowed to take these documents…When I have them, they become unclassified. People think you have to go through a ritual. You don’t, at least in my opinion.”
I hate this. I don't give a flying fuck what he lied. Again. For the umpteenth time on the same shit. I care what _she_ said. Anything new? C'mon Republican Accountability--get with the actual news here.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

People think you have to go through a ritual. You don’t, at least in my opinion.
And do you understand that your opinion is the reason you were indicted on multiple felony counts, which you are making it easy to prove?

:loser:
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

How many times did he turn deaf ears on his lawyers? Cause he knows so much more than them ...
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

The talk about SCIF reminded me of something
Off Topic
► Show Spoiler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Good memory!

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

What a piece of garbage tfg is.
Trump wrote to-do lists for assistant on White House documents marked classified: Sources
Molly Michael told investigators about the documents, according to sources.

One of former President Donald Trump's long-time assistants told federal investigators that Trump repeatedly wrote to-do lists for her on documents from the White House that were marked classified, according to sources familiar with her statements.

As described to ABC News, the aide, Molly Michael, told investigators that -- more than once -- she received requests or taskings from Trump that were written on the back of notecards, and she later recognized those notecards as sensitive White House materials -- with visible classification markings -- used to brief Trump while he was still in office about phone calls with foreign leaders or other international-related matters.

The notecards with classification markings were at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate when FBI agents searched the property on Aug. 8, 2022 -- but the materials were not taken by the FBI, according to sources familiar with what Michael told investigators.

When Michael, who was not present for the search, returned to Mar-a-Lago the next day to clean up her office space, she found the documents underneath a drawer organizer and helped transfer them to the FBI that same day, sources told ABC News.

The sources said Michael also told federal investigators that last year she grew increasingly concerned with how Trump handled recurring requests from the National Archives for the return of all government documents being kept in boxes at Mar-a-Lago -- and she felt that Trump's claims about it at the time would be easy to disprove, according to the sources.
:snippity:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/trump-wrote-l ... =103226113
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Good to see that she is a co-operative witness.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

As per Micheal Popok lawyers for the former guy are seeking to delay the proceedings in the Cannon court with a new filing

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Trump Is Said to Have Told Aide Not to Acknowledge She Knew of Document
Molly Michael, a former assistant to Donald Trump, told investigators he had instructed her not to tell them about classified files he kept at Mar-a-Lago: “You don’t know anything about the boxes."

By Maggie Haberman and Alan Feuer
Sept. 19, 2023

A former assistant to Donald J. Trump has informed investigators that the former president told her to say she did not know anything about the boxes containing classified documents that he had stashed at his private club in Florida after leaving the White House, according to a person briefed on her comments.

The assistant, Molly Michael, who worked for Mr. Trump in the area outside the Oval Office and then in his post-presidential office, told the investigators about Mr. Trump’s comments when she was interviewed as part of the inquiry into his handling of sensitive government documents.

“You don’t know anything about the boxes,” Mr. Trump told Ms. Michael when he learned that federal officials wanted to talk to her in the case. Her account was first reported by ABC News and was confirmed by the person briefed on her comments.

Ms. Michael also told investigators that Mr. Trump would write notes to himself on documents that he gave her listing tasks he wanted done. She later realized that in some cases the documents had classified markings, the person briefed on her comments said. The specific nature of the documents in question remained unclear, the person said.

“These illegal leaks are coming from sources which totally lack proper context and relevant information,” said Steven Cheung, a spokesman for Mr. Trump. “The Department of Justice should investigate the criminal leaking, instead of perpetrating their baseless witch hunts.”

Ms. Michael could not be reached for comment.

The revelations about Ms. Michael’s discussions with investigators were the latest to show the scale and nature of the evidence gathered by federal prosecutors working on the classified documents case. Mr. Trump stands accused of illegally holding on to dozens of highly sensitive national security records after leaving office and of conspiring with two aides at Mar-a-Lago, his club and residence in Florida, to obstruct the government’s repeated attempts to get them back.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/19/us/p ... ments.html
gifted link https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/19/us/p ... =url-share
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Trump's lawyers request postponement of classified documents trial until after 2024 election

by ERIC TUCKER Associated Press
Thu, October 5th 2023, 5:19 PM GMT+2

WASHINGTON (AP) — Lawyers for former President Donald Trump have asked a judge to postpone his classified documents trial until after next year's presidential election, saying they have not received all the records they need to review to prepare his defense.

The trial on charges of illegally hoarding classified documents, among four criminal cases the Republican former president is facing, is currently scheduled for May 20, 2024, in Florida.

In a motion filed late Wednesday, Trump's lawyers urged U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon to push back the trial until at least mid-November 2024. The presidential election is set for Nov. 5, 2024, with Trump currently leading the GOP field in the months before the primary season.

The defense lawyers argued that a postponement was necessary because of scheduling conflicts — another federal trial is scheduled for March 2024 in Washington, and one of Trump's attorneys, Christopher Kise, is also representing him in an ongoing civil fraud trial in New York — and because of what they say are delays in obtaining and reviewing the classified records cited in special counsel Jack Smith's indictment.

The Special Counsel's Office has not provided some of the most basic discovery in the case," said the motion from Kise and another Trump attorney, Todd Blanche. "Given the current schedule, we cannot understate the prejudice to President Trump arising from his lack of access to these critical materials months after they should have been produced.

The defense lawyers said they have access to only a "small, temporary facility" in Miami to review classified documents, an arrangement that they say has slowed the process.

Prosecutors with the special counsel last week suggested that the Trump team was seeking unreasonable delays in the case. Though they acknowledged a "slightly longer than anticipated timeframe" for certain procedural steps, the prosecutors said it was false to accuse them of delaying the production of evidence in the case.

https://nbc24.com/news/nation-world/tru ... al-counsel

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”