Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Sketchy used car dealers

tek

Re: Sketchy used car dealers

Post by tek »

Car prices are crazy right now. Carvana will pay my daughter today what she paid to buy her car new two years ago. Cash money.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I found a terrific mechanic a few years ago who only works on Lexi. My 2006 rx400h finally gave it up last year. Steve the mechanic had another customer who was moving to Thailand and selling her rx so I bought it. It’s not a hybrid, which I regret, but it’s a good, reliable car.

After reading this thread…thank dog!
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

jez wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:45 am I can commiserate. I'm starting the "New to me" car search myself. Looking at Forresters, Equinox, and Rav4. Yes, I'm looking for an SUV/Crossover type of vehicle. It's easier to get in and out of with my bad knees and hips then my lower sedan. My roommate has a Rav4 (2014) and I actually like driving it. Drives very nicely.

So, been starting the interwebz search to get an idea of pricing. So far, I'm looking at the 20-25k range for a new model (2018 or newer). I rarely drive anywhere as it is, so mileage isn't all that important to me. Though I don't want something with over 12k miles per year. It's gonna be a few months until I can get the down payment together and all that jazz, so I'm not in a hurry.
We are Jeep people

We gout our first new Jeep in 2004 and it was a 2005 model. We drove it until 2019 and bought our new one in April 2019. Will drive it until we can't
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

sad-cafe wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:42 pm We are Jeep people

We gout our first new Jeep in 2004 and it was a 2005 model. We drove it until 2019 and bought our new one in April 2019. Will drive it until we can't
I've looked at Jeeps as well. Might have to give them another look.

My little Chevy Cobalt has lasted 13+ years (I bought it new). Still runs well, just needs a few things done to it that would add up to about $700. So, just under the cars value. Might go ahead and get them fixed over the next couple of months, though that would put me behind on the new(er) car schedule.

If you are wondering: New tires, brakes need some work (basic wear and tear time), front driver's tie rod is a bit loose, and the ignition doesn't always recognize that I have removed the key, so the bell sound goes off when you open the door.

So, just a few things.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

neither of my jeeps ever let me down!

in 2016 in our Liberty, I got t-boned and although they fixed it well, it really wasn't the same after that. had radiator issues, window motors and things. We didn't like the mid-sized Jeep Patriot so we waited until the Renegade came out! LOVE IT
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

When I replaced my 14-year-old Ford Ranger a few years back, I finally moved from the pickup world (having driven some type of ranger for over 20 years) to a Jeep Grand Cherokee. In this case, the choice was calculated on size. I needed to be able to take at least one 88 key keyboard and sound equipment to various places (and still have room for me and music and, if out of town, a change of clothes). I ended up getting more toys than I went looking for but that was because the deal was pretty good on a year old car. I have never bought anything new once.

While the initial thought of the price was bigger than I would prefer, I also remember, I drive cars until they are near death. I get my money's worth.

At one point I did consider a Renegade as I had driven a rented Patriot up to Duluth and found it no better than my old pickup for comfort on a long trip (and a thimble of a gas tank). The keyboard size tossed the Renegade out the window.
101010 :towel:
filly

Post by filly »

We are about to get our third Subaru Outback. They are great cars, fun to drive, easy to park and carry all of the cargo we carry these days. Highly recommend.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

filly wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:30 pm We are about to get our third Subaru Outback. They are great cars, fun to drive, easy to park and carry all of the cargo we carry these days. Highly recommend.
That was high on my list of possibles when I bought the Jeep.
101010 :towel:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

filly wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:30 pm We are about to get our third Subaru Outback. They are great cars, fun to drive, easy to park and carry all of the cargo we carry these days. Highly recommend.
Subarus are great safe vehicles, especially for families with kids.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Subaru family here, too.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
tek

Post by tek »

Jeep here
IMGP4119crsmbl.jpg
IMGP4119crsmbl.jpg (229.05 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
(ordered 8 years and two days ago, its "birthday" is coming up in the middle of June)
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

We had a Subaru Forester (primarily my car) and it was getting to the point where I didn't really feel comfortable taking it on a road trip which involved multiple states in the US mountain West in 2015. We rented a car and were happy to see that the rental was a brand new Forester. We were so happy with its performance and comfort (my partner gets cramped joints and muscles pretty easily in some cars) that we decided it would be our next car. Originally, we didn't plan to get it for a few years. A month after we got home from our road trip, I asked my partner if we could move up the acquisition date. A few days later we took possession of our new Forester.

One of my Alaskan sisters-in-law was in Colorado and asked if her son could buy the old Forester from us. (Subarus are very popular in Homer, Alaska.) I told her I wouldn't be comfortable selling it but he could have it as long as he transferred the title and put new tags on it. We Fedexed the title to his father in Homer who arranged the title transfer and Fedexed the plates and registration back. (It was pretty funny when my nephew was putting the plates on. He kept saying how clean it was. Evidently, Homer uses salt on the road so he was used to seeing a lot of rust on older cars. Colorado only uses abrasives.) He drove it around the mountain West for a few years with Alaskan tags. (He is a snowboarder and worked in ski areas.) I've no idea where it is now but it was going strong last I heard of it.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

We've been a chevy family for the past few decades. Mainly because we have had a great relationship with out local dealership. And we have had pretty good luck with our purchases there.

Right now, a lot of where we go from here is going to depend of where the pup goes. He's got a number of applications out, and depending of it he has to gap year doing field work, or if he can get into a decent MS program that offers an assistanceship (or even both)...
It's going to dictate a lot of choices.

Given the used car market right now, it's almost worth it for him to go new. My favorite dealership actually has Colorado pickups in stock. Granted, they are WT trim, and RWD....

But they are affordable.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

neonzx wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:13 pm
Subarus are great safe vehicles, especially for families with kids and dogs.
FIFY
We're a Subaru family too, I have the new Outback (after my Impreza got totaled). MrD has the Forrester and my youngest son has the Ascent. My oldest son is a Mustang man, no kids, no dogs.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

MsDaisy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:00 pm
FIFY
We're a Subaru family too, I have the new Outback (after my Impreza got totaled). MrD has the Forrester and my youngest son has the Ascent. My oldest son is a Mustang man, no kids, no dogs.
When a younger friend of mine and his wife were expecting their first child, they traded-in/up from their Jeep (sorry tek) to a Forrester (because of baby and winter climate/safety). Then months later ended up with a dog, too. LOL Go figure.

I jokingly said to him at the time, "So you are lesbian now??", because Subarus have that reputation, too, also. :lol:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

neonzx wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:07 pm I jokingly said to him at the time, "So you are lesbian now??", because Subarus have that reputation, too, also. :lol:
:lol:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:07 pm
MsDaisy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:00 pm

FIFY
When a younger friend of mine and his wife were expecting their first child, they traded-in/up from their Jeep (sorry tek) to a Forrester (because of baby and winter climate/safety). Then months later ended up with a dog, too. LOL Go figure.

I jokingly said to him at the time, "So you are lesbian now??", because Subarus have that reputation, too, also. :lol:
My lesbian friends who have them refer to them as Lesbarus.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:41 pm
My lesbian friends who have them refer to them as Lesbarus.
The funny thing in this.. they had two vehicles. The family car was the Forrester. His car, was a Mazda Miata. :lol: So we had the lesbian mobile coupled with the gayest car ever.

Return to “General Stuff”