X -Where Twitter goes to die.

Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Not sure if trolling, or really that cataclysmically stoopit.
F3026OKX0AEzxvu.jpeg
F3026OKX0AEzxvu.jpeg (89.55 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
Image Image Image Image
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

The other night I found a way around the paywall on Tweet Deck that involved editing a stored cookie on Twitter that changed Tweet Deck version from "beta" to "legacy". That allowed me to access the old version of Tweet Deck. Now today it directs me to X-pro but I am still bypassing the Blue Check feature. Weird.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Estiveo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:30 pm Not sure if trolling, or really that cataclysmically stoopit.
F3026OKX0AEzxvu.jpeg
Not trolling, cataclysmically stoopit. He's been mentioning this for a few months now, seems on the level.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Not gonna happen.

Apple store guidelines:
Apple Store .jpg
Apple Store .jpg (198.83 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

That refers to bans vs. individual blocks, right?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I do not know. Not my field of expertise. :bag:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
F3189afWIAE7Q02.jpeg
F3189afWIAE7Q02.jpeg (198.74 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
Image Image Image Image
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Elon Musk's X follower count bloated by millions of new, inactive accounts
We took a close look at Elon Musk's more than 150 million followers on X aka Twitter. What we found is…concerning.
https://mashable.com/article/elon-musk- ... lower-data
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Elmo has apparently deleted his tweet about eliminating the block, and is floating the idea that it should be replaced by a stronger form of muting, which is, of course, a block.

He is a idjit.
Image Image Image Image
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Yeah. Fascinating to see how megalomaniacs operate. They get an idea. They are convinced that it's the best idea anyone ever had. They announce it and demand that their underlings make it happen. No planning, no interest in what harm it might cause, no thought there might be a reason other people think differently.

"I will be holding a press conference Monday and will provide irrefutable proof!"

"I'm eliminating blocks cause it's a dumb idea."

It always amuses me when folks think megalomaniacs are geniuses with brilliant ideas.
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

The Apple lawyer who wrote that into the T's and C's needs a slap with a stick, sort of sloppy stupidity that allows the likes of Elmo to get away with sh#t.

/ RANT ON

As written, so long as TWITTER has a mechanism for a user to report abusive behaviour which can lead to TWITTER instituting a block/ban then it meets the requirement.

The requirement needs to be more akin to "The ability for individual users, within the app, to actively block..."

This is the sort of sloppy writing I have spent way to much of my time red lining in contracts, T's and C's, letters of engagement and the like...... I have recurring bad dreams about some of the asinine paragraphs of idiocy I redlined in stuff JPMorgan Chase tried to get away with at one place I worked.......

/RANT OFF. , :mrgreen:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Assuming that section applies to users, which it may not. It may be in the part that applies to the app function responsibilities. I'm guessing there is another section that defines the user stuff, and it may be in there.

I don't know what's in it. I never read it.
Mr brolin

Post by Mr brolin »

Missing the core issue, it is not about the user T's and C's, which are totally seperate, which no one ever reads when they sign up or use an app.

These are the T's and C's that the app developer/provider must accept and adhere to that provides app store defined, mandatory requirements, that can be USED by the end user.

Without which acceptance the app cannot be loaded into the app stores.

As written, the wording only requires the app owners to have a mechanism in the back end to block, after they are notified. It does not, as written, mandate that there is an end user, usable function they can use at their discretion to block nasty folks.

As such, so long as Twatter has a "Report nasty stuff" button and at the discretion of Twatter they have the ability to block, they meet the requirements.

So, if Twatter actually followed through on Elmo's idiotic word jumble idea they would still be in compliance.

Which is why its a piss poor written requirement, argle bargled by a technically semi literate lawyer.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Mr brolin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:28 am :snippity:

Which is why its a piss poor written requirement, argle bargled by a technically semi literate lawyer.
There is a lot to dislike about both Apple and Google, but I reckon they are savvy enough to have effective fully literate lawyers that know how to write T&Cs that say exactly what they want them to say.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Ah, but in actual fact, lawyers are not seers.

A good lawyer foresees tries to foresee the potential troubles that could arise, and tries to deal with them in any written agreement. In prior centuries, this was not terribly difficult, because they mostly understood what could go horribly, horribly wrong.

And as you know, failure to accurately predict the future is the basis of many a case that ends up in court.

In the 21st century, it's getting harder and harder to see into the future and anticipate all the things that could happen that would make your T's and C's less useful than you wanted.
You are what you eat.
Last night I was a chicken quesadilla.
Mr brolin

Post by Mr brolin »

keith wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:44 am

There is a lot to dislike about both Apple and Google, but I reckon they are savvy enough to have effective fully literate lawyers that know how to write T&Cs that say exactly what they want them to say.
And yet the evidence is written there that they aren't.

You could say exactly the same about the lawyers for JP Morgan and Chase Manhattan as examples.

In both cases, when their standard, in house boilerplate contracts and SOW's were dropped in my lap, by my GC, to review the information security, controls, technical risk management, development controls and data privacy sections, I red lined, rejected and rewrote approx 40+ percent of the relevant req's.

Hell, I had to rewrite the entire "right to audit" section in toto as well as provide them with useable definitions and attainable controls around cloud computing which they now use and ponce off as their own.

So I speak with some detailed experience and can say the clause identified is a sack of crap.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Mrs. Betty Bowers

I'm trying to think of another organization that uses a burning cross . . .

It will come to me.

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Wait, are you saying that a generationally wealthy white dude from South Africa might could possibly be racist?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I know. Totally far fetched and impossible to imagine. He's got self landing penis shaped rocket machines (some with the occasional self immolation feature), self driving luxury car machines (some also with the random self immolation feature), and now he has a self expression computer machine that for some will be a self immolation platform.

He's a man with a mission.
somerset

Post by somerset »

Mr brolin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:13 am
keith wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:44 am

And yet the evidence is written there that they aren't.

You could say exactly the same about the lawyers for JP Morgan and Chase Manhattan as examples.

In both cases, when their standard, in house boilerplate contracts and SOW's were dropped in my lap, by my GC, to review the information security, controls, technical risk management, development controls and data privacy sections, I red lined, rejected and rewrote approx 40+ percent of the relevant req's.

Hell, I had to rewrite the entire "right to audit" section in toto as well as provide them with useable definitions and attainable controls around cloud computing which they now use and ponce off as their own.

So I speak with some detailed experience and can say the clause identified is a sack of crap.
Off Topic

When I interviewed with and later worked for Apple South Asia Pte Ltd in Singapore, I signed a NDA before my first interview. It was a fairly standard NDA and apparently copied from the one used in Cupertino for interviewees, because they left governing law and venue as Santa Clara County, California.

Apple lawyers are very good, and the ones at the top treat litigation as a blood sport. But they aren't infallible ;)

On a similar note, Apple once also tried to tap into the WeChat Red Packet money stream in China. WeChat Pay is a digital wallet that allows any user to transfer money to any other user (which is just about everyone in China. Even beggars on the street have a QR code so you can give them money), and for Chinese New Year (ahem, Spring Festival ;) ) in 2014 they introduced a feature that lets you give red packets (hong bao) to a WeChat group or any individual. Apple tried to tap into this money stream and demanded Tencent change the app so that they would get a "commission" on every transaction, as required in the App Store terms and conditions. The resulting uproar was so severe that Apple quickly backtracked, realizing WeChat Pay was more important than IOS to the ~1 billion users, and that going forward with this scheme would have decimated iPhone sales in China.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

There's a recurring theme. Musk sets fire to rockets. His electric cars catch fire. Now he''s setting fire to billions of dollars and to Twitter.

He's a pyromaniac.
Off Topic
It's Sunday, my brain's wandering. Why would I wonder while typing that if someone who liked setting fire to cheese would be a tyropyromaniac? Actually and disappointingly, they'd be a turopyromaniac, the upsilon is τῡρός is an oo sound. But then a person who enjoyed setting fire to dry cheese would be a xeroturopyromaniac. I don't think I've ever needed either word. Of course, a turophile is a thing. we probably have some here, perhaps even xeroturophiles.

Back to coffee and watching football (it's the women's world cup final).
raison de arizona

X Blue users will need to send selfie, data to Israeli software company
Subscription users of X, formerly Twitter, will need to send a selfie and copy of ID to an Israeli verification company.

X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter, will now require X Blue users to submit a selfie alongside a photo of a government-issued ID, according to a report by PC Magazine.

The user’s personal information required by the verification process will be handled by Israeli company AU10TIX software which will store the information for up to 30 days.

X said the data collected from a user’s profile will be used “for the purpose of safety and security, including preventing impersonation”.

Many X users were unhappy with the choice of the company to store user data, pointing out its employees’ links to Israeli intelligence. Others expressed their discomfort with giving a company their data when so many data breaches have been reported in the past.
:snippity:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/8/2 ... re-company
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

It's genius. You tweet anything Musk doesn't like, he posts your photo and home address to the entire planet.

What could possibly go wrong? :confuzzled:
You are what you eat.
Last night I was a chicken quesadilla.
raison de arizona

Poot fight.
James Woods @RealJamesWoods wrote: Thank you. If @elonmusk removes the ability to block concerted harassment by trolls or organized political entities, how will “X” be any different from Jack Dorsey’s horrid Twitter?

Musk, whom I once championed, is only doing this to protect his advertisers anyway. Users of X…
Andrew Munger @Stormlight1984 wrote: Replying to @RealJamesWoods
Well we got to make sure that doesn't happen James. You're one of the most important people on here. You help educate others. It's very important. You make a humongous difference and I'm sure you're aware of that. So what do we need to do in order for Elon to not do what he's…
Elon Musk @elonmusk wrote: Then delete your account
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:20 pm
X Blue users will need to send selfie, data to Israeli software company
Subscription users of X, formerly Twitter, will need to send a selfie and copy of ID to an Israeli verification company.

X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter, will now require X Blue users to submit a selfie alongside a photo of a government-issued ID, according to a report by PC Magazine.

The user’s personal information required by the verification process will be handled by Israeli company AU10TIX software which will store the information for up to 30 days.

X said the data collected from a user’s profile will be used “for the purpose of safety and security, including preventing impersonation”.

Many X users were unhappy with the choice of the company to store user data, pointing out its employees’ links to Israeli intelligence. Others expressed their discomfort with giving a company their data when so many data breaches have been reported in the past.
:snippity:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/8/2 ... re-company
This will immediatly disqualify Xitter from the EU - Elon Musk has just not heard of it yet. There are licensed companies in the EU that offer such services in the EU.

ps. does this apply to the US only? The Israeli company will be flooded if it has to hande world wide requests.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”