Kevin McCarthy

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Flatpoint High »

Buttonwillow is safer
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Ben-Prime »

Flatpoint High wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:37 pm Buttonwillow is safer
Hell, Sunnydale was safer, and that had a Hellmouth.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Kevin McCarthy

Post by northland10 »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:23 pm
With a crime rate of 48 per one thousand residents, Bakersfield has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property
crime here is one in 21.

Bakersfield is known in some circles as the armpit of California. S’truth.
Do those bobbing oil wells cause some folks to get all crimey?
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:52 pm I bet McCarthy sucks at Frogger.
I wasn't all that good with it until I spent a couple of years having to cross Sheridan Road by Northwestern University. I improved bigly.
101010 :towel:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Flatpoint High »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:57 am
mmm Hellmouth
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Kevin McCarthy

Post by raison de arizona »

Flatpoint High wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:46 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:57 am
mmm Hellmouth
"I'm standing on the mouth of hell, and it's going to swallow me whole... And it'll choke on me."
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Kevin McCarthy

The Post Millennial @TPostMillennial wrote: Speaker McCarthy condemns several Democrats including Pramila Jayapal for their antisemitic comments: "It has got to stop."
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by AndyinPA »

Old news, long apologized for, IIRC.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Ben-Prime

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Ben-Prime »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:47 pm Old news, long apologized for, IIRC.
I think this one is specifically based on this (gift link): https://wapo.st/44OX8uB

raison de arizona

Kevin McCarthy

Yeah, right.
Republican Accountability @AccountableGOP wrote: Kevin McCarthy: "I hear from people who say, "You know what? I never voted for President Trump, but I am going to vote for him now based upon how he is being treated because if they can treat him that way they can do that to any American.'"
sugar magnolia

Kevin McCarthy

Post by sugar magnolia »

Of COURSE they can do it to any American. That's the whole point, you nitwits.

But they only want to do it to OTHER Americans, not them.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Slim Cognito »

Of all the things that never happened, that’s the one that never happened the most.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by AndyinPA »

You know what? He's lying.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Kevin McCarthy

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:
pipistrelle

Kevin McCarthy

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:18 pm You know what? He's lying.
It's a talking point. It, like many others, appears with regularity on Twitter as trolls/bots/whatever respond with talking points over and over. It's more obvious when you're reading posts by different commentators, and different accounts make the same comments in nearly identical language.
Kendra

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA1e757L
After House Speaker Kevin McCarthy suggested on national television last month that Donald Trump may not be the GOP’s best presidential nominee in 2024, the former president was furious — and wanted the California Republican to rectify the slight immediately.

“He needs to endorse me — today!” Trump fumed to his staff on his way to a campaign event in New Hampshire, according to people familiar with what happened. McCarthy, after all, had indicated to Trump’s team that he would do so eventually. Why not clean up the mess and announce his support now?

But the House GOP leader — who has felt compelled to stay neutral during the primary so as to not box in his own members — wasn’t ready to do that. To calm Trump, McCarthy made him a promise, according to a source close to Trump and familiar with the conversation: The House would vote to expunge the two impeachments against the former president. And — as McCarthy would communicate through aides later that same day — they would do so before August recess.

That vow — made reflexively to save his own skin — may have bought McCarthy some time, staving off a public war with the man who almost single-handedly rehabilitated his entire career and ensured he won the gavel in January. But it has also put McCarthy in a bind — and Trump world plans to hold him to his promise.

Several moderate House Republicans are loath to revisit Trump’s impeachments — especially the charges stemming from the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol. (In fact, though only 10 of their GOP colleagues voted with Democrats to impeach Trump after the Jan. 6 attack, several more wanted to but were too worried about threats to their offices and families to take the plunge.)
This report first appeared in POLITICO Playbook.
Kendra

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Kendra »

https://wapo.st/3T41Y4L
In the weeks after the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol, then-House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) traveled down to Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club and threw a lifeline to the former president, who was under a cloud of controversy for provoking the historic assault.

Keeping up with politics is easy with The 5-Minute Fix Newsletter, in your inbox weekdays.
The fence-mending session between the two Republican leaders ended with a photo op of the two men, grinning side by side in a gilded, frescoed room. The stunning turnabout of the House GOP leader, who had previously blamed Trump for the deadly attack, paved the way for the former president’s return to de facto leader of the Republican Party.

When the tables were turned almost three years later, however, Trump did not return the favor.

During a phone call with McCarthy weeks after his historic Oct. 3 removal as House speaker, Trump detailed the reasons he had declined to ask Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) and other hard-right lawmakers to back off their campaign to oust the California Republican from his leadership position, according to people familiar with the exchange who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to disclose a private conversation.
Gifted link.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by AndyinPA »

Read that earlier. And it really hasn't made a difference to McCarthy, or anyone else.
raison de arizona

Kevin McCarthy

McCarthy doesn't quit.
Ron Filipkowski @RonFilipkowski wrote: From the Department of Things Aging Very Poorly.
bob

Kevin McCarthy

Post by bob »

For 15 years, McCarthy was a team player while fundraising oodles for his party. Paid his dues, earned his shot.

In less than one year after his humiliating election to Speaker, he'll be out of Congress.

I almost could feel sorry for him. Almost. :violin:
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

Kevin McCarthy

https://x.com/RonFilipkowski/status/173 ... 06753?s=20
Ron Filipkowski @RonFilipkowski wrote: Because rumor is that he intends to use it in REPUBLICAN PRIMARIES to help establishment candidates fend off MAGA challengers as his revenge for the Freedom Caucus ousting him. 🍿
Ron Filipkowski @RonFilipkowski wrote: McCarthy has a big chunk of cash parked in his PAC. Wonder what he will do with it now?
raison de arizona

Kevin McCarthy

:bwahaha: savage community note
Ben-Prime

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Ben-Prime »

It's rare that a Community Note can be read in Ron Howard's Arrested Development Overvoice voice, but this one can.

New Turtle

Kevin McCarthy

Post by New Turtle »

He quit harder than Eric Cantor, which was quite embarrassing at the time.
Ben-Prime

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Ben-Prime »

New Turtle wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:01 am He quit harder than Eric Cantor, which was quite embarrassing at the time.
I know someone who lives in what was Cantor's district and we still joke about the time I could probably hear her gut-laughing all the way between Virginia and Florida.

raison de arizona

Kevin McCarthy

Jo @JoJoFromJerz wrote: When Nancy Pelosi had to step aside for a Republican Speaker, she remained in Congress, took on the role of mentor, paved the way for the next generation & announced her campaign for re-election.
When Kevin McCarthy lost his Speakership, he kidney punched a dude, whined nonstop & has decided to reduce his party’s already slim majority by leaving early.
But do go on about how women are too emotional to govern won’t you.
https://x.com/JoJoFromJerz/status/17325 ... 63337?s=20

Return to “Current Politics”