Republicans behaving badly

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Yeah that doesn’t sound racial at all.

:roll:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

The sad part is that as per The Daily Beast, (sorry, they don't do gift links), Walters used to teach the racial context when he was a history teacher; it's only since taking on the political position that he's framed it differently.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

No one person should have this kind of power.
Alexander S. Vindman ❎
@AVindman
·
2h
At this point
@TTuberville

@SenTuberville
has upended some 165 years of military order by preventing the
@USMC
from rotating in a new Commandant of the Marine Corps. Tubs is likely regretting his shortsighted, block of military promotion. His only play is to end the obstruction.
Quote Tweet

Alexander S. Vindman ❎
@AVindman
·
Jul 8
Are we willing to risk soldiers lives for @TTuberville @SenTuberville ‘s political grandstanding? His obstruction is already undermines national defense and will soon impact operations. National defense is a matter of life and death. Tuberville’s actions can cost lives.
raison de arizona

I support Republicans kicking each other in the balls.
https://twitter.com/PoliticsVerse_/stat ... 45084?s=20
PoliticsVerse 🇺🇸 @PoliticsVerse_ wrote: JUST IN:

A violent brawl took place at a Michigan GOP meeting.

Mark DeYoung, chairman of the Clare County Republican Party, approached the door, saw someone flip him off through a small window, and opened it.

“He kicked me in my balls as soon as I opened the door,” DeYoung said, adding that Mr Chapman ran at him and slammed him into a chair.
Republican Figures Brawl In Wild Ball-Kicking, Rib-Cracking Battle In Michigan
"He kicked me in my balls as soon as I opened the door,” Clare County Republican Party Chair Mark DeYoung told The Detroit News.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/michigan ... 308d95c1fc
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:55 pm I support Republicans kicking each other in the balls.

Mark DeYoung, chairman of the Clare County Republican Party, approached the door, saw someone flip him off through a small window, and opened it.

“He kicked me in my balls as soon as I opened the door,” DeYoung said, adding that Mr Chapman ran at him and slammed him into a chair.
"He kicked me in my balls as soon as I opened the door,” Clare County Republican Party Chair Mark DeYoung told The Detroit News.
Next thing you know, they'll be whipping out their micrometers.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

After reading it, I am of the opinion that this is really an issue not with the normally gathered GOP (not that they haven't had their own problems in the last) but of the guy who was trying to get in and instantly went to kicking the other guy. He's a political gladfly with a criminal record and issues with violence.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

northland10 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:25 pm After reading it, I am of the opinion that this is really an issue not with the normally gathered GOP (not that they haven't had their own problems in the last) but of the guy who was trying to get in and instantly went to kicking the other guy. He's a political gladfly with a criminal record and issues with violence.
So, he should fit right in at a GOP meeting? :twisted:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:49 pm [img]https:// pbs.twimg.com/media/FztX2byWAAEnhfU?format=jpg&name=small[/img]
Article with details from two weeks ago:
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/1 ... s-00101935
tl;dr: His problem is that the military pays for service members travel to states without bullshit restrictive laws for necessary reproductive care.
Nicolle Wallace and panel took a deep dive on this today. Worth hunting down and watching.
raison de arizona

Tuberville’s hold leaves Marines leaderless for first time in 164 years
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4088 ... eaderless/
raison de arizona

Acyn @Acyn wrote: Tuberville: There is nobody more military than me. [ :bwahaha: ]

Collins: This has a real impact on the families of these officers. They can't move or resettle their families. They can't enroll their kids in schools. Their spouses can't take new jobs…
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:55 pm I support Republicans kicking each other in the balls.

Or, as Cartman would call it, settling disputes through a round of playing Rochambeau.

raison de arizona

What about... What about... What about...
(What about if I make a bunch of crap up and throw it at the wall?)
Heartland Signal @HeartlandSignal wrote: Rep. Wesley Hunt (R-TX) rants, saying Joe Biden is the most unpopular president in a century (false) and he is trying to imprison Trump (false):

"He knows that the only way to stop President Trump from beating him in November is to put him in jail ... Let the people decide."
He says we need to "let the voters decide." Let the voters decide what? If tfg is guilty of criming? That is already put to the vote of twelve people.
raison de arizona

:torches: They weren't paying for that you insufferable fool, they were paying for service members travels for HEALTHCARE to states where it is allowed, if they are stationed in a backwater hick state that doesn't allow HEALTHCARE.
https://twitter.com/greg_price11/status ... 83556?s=20
Greg Price @greg_price11 wrote: BREAKING: The House just voted 221-213 and 222-210 in favor of amendments to the NDAA to ban the Pentagon from paying for expenses related to killing unborn babies and from funding gender transition procedures
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:explode:

Effing, stupid morons.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

This seems to be a DADT situation -- "Sergeant, I need these funds to see my preferred healthcare provider in <X State>." "Okay, just don't tell me why you're going, I don't need to know. Let me know how much leave you need, whether we can balance that with unit needs, and how much the travel costs."

Or something like that, but with more military bureaucracy speak involved.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The military should relocate its bases to blue states.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Asshole Republicans? Say it ain't so. Even their own party knows it. And after all Mace's talk, after all the interviews Mace gave against it, she voted for it.

Because of course she did.
I had the misfortune of hearing one of the interviews of Mace given before the vote after the vote occurred. It was infuriating to listen to her list the reasons the amendment should die, knowing that she voted in support of it. What an asshole.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:27 pm This seems to be a DADT situation -- "Sergeant, I need these funds to see my preferred healthcare provider in <X State>." "Okay, just don't tell me why you're going, I don't need to know. Let me know how much leave you need, whether we can balance that with unit needs, and how much the travel costs."

ImOr something like that, but with more military bureaucracy speak involved.
I agree. I don’t know how big a deal this would be, even in the (unlikely, IMO) event this were to become law. I tried to find the text of the amendment to the NDAA, but no luck on the small screen. I’m curious to see what it says.

HIPPA is a thing, even in the military. If the servicemember asks for travel orders to a particular location, and has a note from the doctor saying travel to that location is medically necessary, I don’t think the command could require her to spill.

But without seeing the text of the amendment, I don’t know for sure. If there is wiggle room, I think the results would likely be uneven - some commands would be sticklers (no travel for anyone) and some would authorize it so long as they didn’t know.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:00 pm I agree. I don’t know how big a deal this would be, even in the (unlikely, IMO) event this were to become law. I tried to find the text of the amendment to the NDAA, but no luck on the small screen. I’m curious to see what it says.
https://amendments-rules.house.gov/amen ... 110984.pdf

Here are the transgender ones that passed too:
https://amendments-rules.house.gov/amen ... 747484.pdf
https://amendments-rules.house.gov/amen ... 201937.pdf
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Republican senator finally ends crusade to defend white nationalists
Tommy Tuberville, from Alabama, had seemed determined to support extremists despite condemnation from his colleagues

Adam Gabbatt
Fri 14 Jul 2023 11.00 BST

Politicians typically enter office with a variety of interests, goals and focuses.

A wave of progressive Democrats were elected in 2018 with the stated goal of bringing universal healthcare to the US. Franklin Delano Roosevelt promised to lead the country out of the Great Depression with the New Deal. Donald Trump wanted to build a wall, “drain the swamp”, and force people to say “Merry Christmas”.

Tommy Tuberville, the Republican senator from Alabama, has taken a different tack.

In a series of interviews and statements in recent months, he has invested his political capital in an attempt to defend white nationalism, and white nationalists, in what one anti-racist group called a “deeply disturbing” crusade – one that only appeared to come to an end this week, after condemnation from his Republican colleagues.

Tuberville’s dalliance with white nationalism – understood by most in the US and elsewhere as a racist ideology – began in May, when he used a local radio interview to criticize the government’s efforts to “get out the white extremists, the white nationalists” from the military.

Asked in that interview if white nationalists should be allowed in the military, Tuberville, an avid supporter of Trump, said, “Well, they call them that. I call them Americans,” before going into a rambling aside about the January 6 insurrection.

“Right after that, we, our military and Secretary Austin, put out an order to stand down and all military across the country, saying we’re going to run out the white nationalists, people that don’t believe how we believe,” Tuberville continued. “And that’s not how we do it in this country.”

Invited to clarify his remarks a couple of days later, Tuberville did anything but. He said the military “cannot have racists”, but, when asked if white nationalists should serve in the military, said:

“You think a white nationalist is a Nazi? I don’t look at it like that,” the senator said.

“I look at a white nationalist as a Trump Republican. That’s what we’re called all the time. A Maga person.”

As Tuberville’s comments gained more attention, few have seemed to agree with his sanitized definition.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... tiomalists
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Thanks, raison! :bighug:

It pretty much says that the DoD Memorandum “Ensuring Access to Reproductive Health Care” is rescinded. Some (probably all) services have already changed their own policies to reflect the change. I think there’s wiggle room.

But I really doubt this is going to make it past the Senate.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona

from above article:
Asked by CBS, on Capitol Hill, to define a white nationalist, Tuberville said: “A white nationalist is somebody that thinks that they should be the only ones in this country.”

The CBS reporter followed up: “Racist, all the time?”

“Right, right: racist, that’s what I’m saying,” Tuberville said.

All it had taken was two months, a series of botched interviews, a slew of negative headlines and a rollicking from his party leaders, for Tuberville to get on board with the most of the rest of the US.
Too little, far too late. He's shown his true colors. Repeatedly and loudly, even.
raison de arizona

I’m tired of my Senate colleague threatening national security
The people who would be most hurt are our lowest ranking service members and their families.
By Tammy Duckworth, U.S. senator from Illinois

For months now, thanks to one man who has never served in uniform a day in his life, the United States Senate has been failing our troops and military families.

In March, Sen. Tommy Tuberville, R-Ala., began blocking all senior Department of Defense nominations, protesting a Defense Department policy that helps service members stationed in anti-choice states travel for basic reproductive care. With that decision, my Republican colleague effectively told the country that his own anti-choice agenda was worth jeopardizing our military readiness and our national security.
:snippity:

Let me be very clear: the Defense Department is not funding abortions. It simply allows service members reimbursement for travel if they are forced to make their way to a state with less draconian reproductive policies. There, they can receive a range of health care services, from IVF to, yes, legal abortions.
The GOP’s tantrum over this Defense Department rule redefines the word hypocrisy. I served in the Army, so I know firsthand that Republicans were just fine with me using my body as I saw fit — when I chose to use it to fight wars on our country’s behalf. They were even OK with me leaving parts of it strewn across a battlefield in Iraq in defense of this great nation. Many thanked me for my service — for making that incredibly personal choice about my own life. I know the same is true for other female service members and veterans, too.

So my question is, precisely when do anti-choice folks like Tuberville think that we military women no longer have that basic human right to make our own decisions about our own health?
Well worth the read: https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opi ... -rcna94290
raison de arizona

"I love the poorly educated."
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Mr. Braxton was elected mayor of Newbern Alabama in 2020, still hasn't been allowed to take office.

He's the town's only firefighter that will respond to residences with black people in them. He shows up to every fire.

https://capitalbnews.org/newbern-alabama-black-mayor/

I found the story in this reddit thread:

and this user's post hits it on the head:

We stopped fighting nazis and confederates, so they grew back, metastasized, and now the whole damn country's in stage 4. That is what happened.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”