George Santos (R-NY) and his imaginative (but dishonest) résumé

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

neonzx wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:56 pm Kitara had a court appearance today.

Just letting everyone know that Twitter is again not allowing unregistered people to view.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Azastan wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:25 pm

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1 ... 6637635585

Just letting everyone know that Twitter is again not allowing unregistered people to view.
The Recount @therecount wrote: As protestors chant “Resign,” Rep. George Santos (R-NY) walks out of a New York courthouse and gets an American flag from a supporter.

Someone also shouts, “You killed my dog!”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https:// twitter.com/therecount/status/1674825386637635585

That started today. I have always been able to view tweets via web page with no problem until this morning. Wants me to registered and I will NOT give them my phone number and date of birth. Oh well, less time suck I guess, but please keep the links coming guys :bighug:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:33 pm

That started today. I have always been able to view tweets via web page with no problem until this morning. Wants me to registered and I will NOT give them my phone number and date of birth. Oh well, less time suck I guess, but please keep the links coming guys :bighug:
Yeah, just letting everyone know that if you are going to put up links for Twitter, you will need to copy and paste any text, and if there isn't text, at least explain WHY (generically) you thought it was important to post a link.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

As protestors chant “Resign,” Rep. George Santos (R-NY) walks out of a New York courthouse and gets an American flag from a supporter an actor.

Someone also shouts, “You killed my dog!”
Correcting.
Hic sunt dracones
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Kendra wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:33 pm

Use 212-456-1414 for the phone and June 6th 1944.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Now it automatically goes to a 'try again' screen.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... 2063&ei=42
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Azastan wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:05 am Now it automatically goes to a 'try again' screen.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... 2063&ei=42
Elon Musk says Twitter users are being forced to sign in because of 'extreme levels' of data scraping by AI companies

And how does a user sign in prevent an AI bot from data scraping? They just need a number of new fake accounts.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:50 am
Elon Musk says Twitter users are being forced to sign in because of 'extreme levels' of data scraping by AI companies

And how does a user sign in prevent an AI bot from data scraping? They just need a number of new fake accounts.
It doesn't absolutely prevent it. It does make it harder to do. As you say, they need only create additional fake accounts to circumvent the rules.

But, those doing the scraping are going after millions of email addresses. So, in order to harvest 6M addresses, they would need 1,000 verified accounts. Not impossible, but time consuming. Actually, they would need a lot more accounts, since new accounts are limited to 300 per day.

In a way, I do sympathize with him on this point. I used to work for a county government IT department here in Ohio. We made residential property ownership records available on our website. Often, when someone complained that performance of the website was poor, we would find that a single IP address was issuing thousands upon thousands of requests, apparently trying to download our entire database, which included names and addresses of property owners, as well as ownership history, current and historical property values, etc.

In at least one case that I know of, we were able to identify the owner of the IP address. We contacted them and asked them to stop. They denied that they were doing it, but we blocked their IP address anyway.

We were a much, much smaller target than Twitter and didn't have nearly as much valuable information on our site. Nor did we have the ability to fire up backup servers to handle the increased load. Twitter's problem in this case, is, I'm sure, many times bigger than ours was.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

noblepa wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:16 pm In at least one case that I know of, we were able to identify the owner of the IP address. We contacted them and asked them to stop. They denied that they were doing it, but we blocked their IP address anyway.
In some cases, the scraping is being done from a compromised machine so it is possible that the owner was not aware of it. You still needed to block the address.
101010 :towel:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

according to some IT folk on twitter, "scraping is not the 'problem'. The 'problem' is that Muck hasn't paid google OR AWS for their hosting, and they, AWS, are throttling things.
20230702202015.png
20230702202015.png (486.67 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

How long until they shut it down completely? I am beginning to think Elmo's business brilliance is the Trump Finance Method, aggressive collection of AP and don't pay any invoices.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Is George Santos now running the Twit machine :?: I bet he was also long ago the hidden genius that programmed it .... :brickwallsmall:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:03 am Is George Santos now running the Twit machine :?: I bet he was also long ago the hidden genius that programmed it .... :brickwallsmall:
A valiant attempt to bring this back on topic. :)
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

In this episode, Santos gives an interview from the back seat of a car, where he says...he isn't going to sit in the back.
PatriotTakes 🇺🇸 @patriottakes wrote: Republican George Santos compared himself to Rosa Parks.

Santos: “Mitt Romney …tells me, a Latino gay man, that I shouldn’t sit in the front, that I should be in the back. Well guess what? Rosa Parks didn’t sit in the back and neither I am going to sit in the back.”
IIRC didn't Romney tell him he shouldn't be there at all? Because that is my recollection.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:21 pm In this episode, Santos gives an interview from the back seat of a car, where he says...he isn't going to sit in the back.
https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status ... 11905?s=20
PatriotTakes 🇺🇸 @patriottakes wrote: Republican George Santos compared himself to Rosa Parks.

Santos: “Mitt Romney …tells me, a Latino gay man, that I shouldn’t sit in the front, that I should be in the back. Well guess what? Rosa Parks didn’t sit in the back and neither I am going to sit in the back.”
IIRC didn't Romney tell him he shouldn't be there at all? Because that is my recollection.
Rosa Parks was not a lieing bag of :shit:
raison de arizona

Santos is running a new scam.
Why Are These Newbie Donors Maxing Out to George Santos?
Rep. George Santos' latest campaign filing has some very interesting new donors giving the maximum allowable amount. There may be an interesting reason for that.

Since his May 10 indictment, Rep. George Santos (R-NY) has brought in a surprising amount of money—about $133,000, according to his new campaign finance report—but what’s more interesting than Santos just raising money is who’s been donating to him and why.

The short answer? It may have something to do with Guo Wengui, the self-proclaimed billionaire who defected from China and is now an enthusiastic supporter of American right-wing causes.

The vast majority of Santos’ fundraising haul—a total of $101,861—rolled in over the course of just three days, between May 20 and May 22. All of those donors had Chinese surnames, almost all of them contributed the maximum allowable amount of $3,300, and 26 of them had never given to Santos previously, according to Federal Election Commission data. For 14 of those donors, it was their first political contribution ever.

On June 23, that same pattern returned, this time to the tune of $24,100, all from donors who had never given to him previously. And the bulk of that cash, it turns out, went right back into Santos’ personal pocket.

In all, Santos received $125,961 from those donors. About $66,000 of that amount came from donors who had never given to any federal committee before, and more than $50,000 came from first-time Santos donors. Of all his donors this quarter, only five had given to him previously—accounting for just $157 of his $133,000 haul.

The Daily Beast attempted to contact nearly all of these donors. Almost every number associated with these donors had an automated voice message. One woman picked up but quickly hung up after saying she didn’t speak English.
:snippity:
More (it gets worse): https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-are-t ... s?ref=wrap
Similar NYT article: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/14/nyre ... money.html
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:popcorn: my bet is that some donors will also appear on some DOJ list in the near future ...
raison de arizona

Ritchie Torres @RitchieTorres wrote: JUST NOW: My resolution to censure George Santos has been officially introduced.

Santos must be held publicly accountable for defrauding and disgracing the United States Congress.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I always find these "censure" resolutions amusing. It is not like they do anything effective. :lol: But I guess this is congress critters way of showing the public they are DOING SOMETHING. Not at all.
raison de arizona

https://twitter.com/ReallyAmerican1/sta ... 61248?s=20
Really American 🇺🇸 @ReallyAmerican1 wrote: Outrageous and absurd: Newly-elected New York Congressman George Santos, fresh off of being indicted on charges of wire fraud, money laundering, theft of public funds, and false statements, is now pleading for expanded travel rights for "dining and shopping."

The embattled new GOP member of Congress is restricted to travel within the 30-mile radius of Washington DC, as well as Long Island, NY and New York City, not exactly considered as restrictive as a 6ft x 9ft prison cell.

Santos' attorney, Joseph Murray, issued a request to the court, stating that the "small geographical area of the District of Columbia" is too small for someone such as Santos, with his frequent needs for "dining, shopping, meetings, events, and even use of the local airports."

House Democrats have recently proposed a resolution to censure Santos, who is clearly not taking his situation seriously, and it appears that they have at least six Republicans who are willing to support the resolution.

Do you believe Santos needs extra room to roam while awaiting his trial, or do you think he should be confined to a jail cell for one week, so he can see how good he has it now?
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

no put that skank in jail
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

".. with his frequent needs for "dining, shopping, meetings, events.."

:think:
Dining - Doordash, UberEats
Shopping - Amazon or a plethora of online sites
Meetings - Zoom
Events - Feeling the itch to perform in drag, gurl? :twisted:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:12 pm https://twitter.com/ReallyAmerican1/sta ... 61248?s=20
Really American 🇺🇸 @ReallyAmerican1 wrote: Outrageous and absurd: Newly-elected New York Congressman George Santos, fresh off of being indicted on charges of wire fraud, money laundering, theft of public funds, and false statements, is now pleading for expanded travel rights for "dining and shopping."
:snippity:
Last chance to spend those hard earned donor bucks off the campaign trail :lol:

Last chance to build up that summer fat reserve before goin ginto winter hibernation at the jail :biggrin:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:12 pm https://twitter.com/ReallyAmerican1/sta ... 61248?s=20

The embattled new GOP member of Congress is restricted to travel within the 30-mile radius of Washington DC, as well as Long Island, NY and New York City, not exactly considered as restrictive as a 6ft x 9ft prison cell.

Santos' attorney, Joseph Murray, issued a request to the court, stating that the "small geographical area of the District of Columbia" is too small for someone such as Santos, with his frequent needs for "dining, shopping, meetings, events, and even use of the local airports."

House Democrats have recently proposed a resolution to censure Santos, who is clearly not taking his situation seriously, and it appears that they have at least six Republicans who are willing to support the resolution.

Do you believe Santos needs extra room to roam while awaiting his trial, or do you think he should be confined to a jail cell for one week, so he can see how good he has it now?
He hasn't been convicted of anything, the purpose of being out on bail is just to ensure he shows up for trial. Let him go to Chevy Chase for dinner for 6 months, he'll get a few years in a 6x9 cell soon enough.

Return to “Current Politics”