It sucks growing old

John Thomas8

It sucks growing old

Post by John Thomas8 »

Heart catheterization is quite less entertaining than it sounds.

Would not recommend.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Thanks for the heads up!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
qbawl

It sucks growing old

Post by qbawl »

John Thomas8 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:22 am Heart catheterization is quite less entertaining than it sounds.

Would not recommend.
Just finished dealing with a right heart catheterization and its aftermath myself. I hope yours was more fun than mine.
Following is a long poorly formatted pity party with a fairly happy conclusion (at least so far)
TL;DR qbawl has a scary adventure
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
John Thomas8

It sucks growing old

Post by John Thomas8 »

I guess I got lucky. First indication of chest pains I wandered down to the local ER. Cardiologist didn't like my numbers and moved me to a bigger, better equipped facility and he did his thing. Found the start of a blockage and prescribed a farkton of meds.

Only an overnighter, the "anesthesia" wasn't knockout, but it did make it so I wasn't safe to drive.

Woot!.
Tiredretiredlawyer

It sucks growing old

Pshew! So glad both of you are still here with positive outcomes!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Patagoniagirl

It sucks growing old

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Well, probably a weirdo post but you all know me by now. Maybe.

Yeah, it does suck growing old. Some things are obviously worse than other growing old stuff. I sometimes sit in the late evening hours and (these days) enjoying a somewhat clear and breezy day. I look down at my arm where a bit of dandelion fluff has landed there. WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED with my arm skin?!?! Crinkly and flapping. Aide from the initial shock of noticing, it's quite harmless and fascinating.

A family member convinced me to shave my head and "start all over" after my hair was coming out in patches. Sweet family members at a reunion just mentioned today that I now look like Keith Richards. My Dad (86 y/o) told a saucey joke about gonads; Aunt Dot had our rapt attention on a verbal tutorial on crocheting scrubby pads and snuck a cigarette from me in the parking lot; my mother put on her extreme frailty act and flirted with Dad (45 years post divorce). There were two brothers, Dad, mom, aunt, a mother-in-law, one of my son's, his new future ex-wife (they're just dating so far but I see it a commin).

Were all getting older and elderly. And hopefully more forgiving of ourselves and others youthful mistakes.
W. Kevin Vicklund

It sucks growing old

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Dr. Vicklund's mom went in for surgery this week (she keeps throwing clots, this was to put stents in to filter out the clots so they don't go to the heart, lungs, or brain). After some fits and starts, surgery was completed on Friday. At about midnight, she went code blue and was resuscitated by chest compression after 17 minutes. She's now on a ventilator in a medically induced coma. It doesn't look good.
jemcanada2

It sucks growing old

Post by jemcanada2 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:57 pm Pshew! So glad both of you are still here with positive outcomes!!!
:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :bighug:
jemcanada2

It sucks growing old

Post by jemcanada2 »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:51 pm Dr. Vicklund's mom went in for surgery this week (she keeps throwing clots, this was to put stents in to filter out the clots so they don't go to the heart, lungs, or brain). After some fits and starts, surgery was completed on Friday. At about midnight, she went code blue and was resuscitated by chest compression after 17 minutes. She's now on a ventilator in a medically induced coma. It doesn't look good.
So sorry! :bighug: :bighug:
Volkonski
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Volkonski »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Sending love and healing energy :cry: :bighug:
June bug

It sucks growing old

Post by June bug »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: to you and all your family.
Annrc
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Annrc »

W. Kevin Vicklund

It sucks growing old

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Sadly, I have to move this to the RIP thread.
Phoenix520
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Phoenix520 »

Aw, no. :bighug: To you and dr vickland.
Volkonski
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Volkonski »

:( :( :( :( :(
:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

It sucks growing old

Post by Lani »

So sorry. :brokenheart: :bighug:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Uninformed

It sucks growing old

Post by Uninformed »

My condolences. :(
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Oh no, that's terrible news. Sending love. ❤️
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Tiredretiredlawyer

It sucks growing old

AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

First I saw. So sorry.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

And--

I've been getting warnings on my Apple Watch about my heart rate, and one that specifically said I was in Afib. I didn't have my watch on as the battery was depleted, but I could feel the fluttering and slight shortness of breath sitting on the train returning from NYC on Sunday. Tuesday, I called the doctor's office; Wednesday, I was in to see the PA. Last night, they called and asked me if I could send a copy of the ECG that said I was in Afib. I sent it in, and they forwarded it to a cardiologist. The cardiologist called back, said it did show Afib, set up an ultrasound and appointment the week after next. I am now on Eliquis, prescribed by my PCP, who called and talked to me about it before prescribing it.

Gotta say, and that's mostly why I'm sharing, that Watch made me aware of something I wouldn't necessarily have paid much attention to otherwise. I was thinking of upgrading from my 5 to the 8 because of the battery. I'll get the new one with money off that amounts to the cost of a battery on a trade in. I always said I would only trade up if it made sense. The 8 has more heart specific apps, so I guess I'm now trading up. But they no longer seem to have the rose gold case. :(

I don't know if other smartphones have the same types of apps, but I'm pretty grateful I have it at the moment.

And no, I don't want to get into a kerfuffle about Apple vs. Android. I can use either. I got into the Apple phone by accident. I had a Fitbit, which had some advantages over the Apple, but decided to try the Apple Watch, and like it well enough to stay with Apple for phone and watch.
Phoenix520
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’ve been on Eliquis for aFib since last summer, after the pneumonia hospitalization. I haven’t noticed any side effects, and it worked immediately. I’m fortunate that right now my doc has no other patients who take it and I get all his samples. 😁

The home health nurse discovered it. I had no clue but I knew something was off. Especially in the heat I would have to rest between each bag of groceries I brought in, for example.
MN-Skeptic

It sucks growing old

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My sister-in-law was an avid bicyclist - more than 5,000 miles/year. A little more than 2 years ago she ended up with Afib which made biking more of a challenge. Then she developed pancreatic cancer. Anyway, it turns out that they can try to use a controlled shock to get your heart back into a normal rhythm. They did that to my SIL and it worked on the first try! Sometimes it takes more than one shock. Anyway, my SIL had an Apple watch and loved seeing the normal rhythm after the treatment.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”