Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Maybenaut »

That is some scary shit. We've discovered so many electrical problems here at Maybelot, it’s a wonder the place hasn’t burned down. We’ve replaced about 80% of the wires and outlets here (and the electrical panel and all the circuit breakers). So Wifehorn’s doing the right thing by having the rest of it checked. You’ll sleep better.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by neonzx »

Glad everyone, including the cats, are ok. Yikes. Yeah, a licensed electrician is what you need. Not just to check the other outlets, but your house breaker box. The circuit should have popped quicker IMHO.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:42 pm
Foggy wrote: So an electrical outlet in my office shorted out and tripped the circuit breaker, but not before the fire started ...
That’s not supposed to happen.
No, it's not. I don't know how that could happen, but I shall ask the licensed electrician, when we find one and she gets here. We won't feel safe leaving the house again until we know why that was able to happen. It could happen somewhere else in the house.

And dig it - nothing has been plugged in or out of that outlet for more than five years. It had two cords plugged into it, a telephone extension charger and an extension cord for a power strip, which only had two things plugged into it.

Nothing was plugged in or unplugged. Nothing was turned on or off. The only change to that outlet was, it suddenly caught fire and the circuit breaker didn't stop it, and we were lucky as hell that we were home, because we had just been on a 45 minute walk, and if it had happened half an hour earlier we'd be homeless and our three beautiful cats would be dead.

My life is so exciting sometimes. :oldman:
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Kriselda Gray »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

So glad everyone is ok!!!
FiveAcres

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by FiveAcres »

I am so glad you, your partner, and your cats are okay. How terrifying.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by keith »

You been sneaking joints behind Wifehorn's back?

You ain't s'posed to hide 'em in the trash can til they are dead out.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Well, that's the irony, ain't it?

All those joints, all the weed ... the cigarettes ... and godonlyknowswhatelse ... and in seventy years, not a single fire.

But let me around an electrical outlet that hasn't been disturbed in at least 10 years, and boom. Well actually, a fire doesn't mean a boom.

But you know what I mean. :oldman:
pipistrelle

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by pipistrelle »

Forgive my stupidity but how does an electrical outlet short out and start a fire? Not that I'm paranoid.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by RTH10260 »

The cats may have not found all the mice that are relishing the quiet since the youngsters have moved out and now are crunching on the isolation ;)

On second thought, some water leak or moisture behind the drywall rusting away the junction box and cables.
Reddog

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Reddog »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:32 pm Forgive my stupidity but how does an electrical outlet short out and start a fire? Not that I'm paranoid.
My guess is high resistance connection created heat, which eventually deteriorated the connection further, creating more heat. At some point the heat could combust flammable materials within range, including the wire insulation (unless it was glass insulated). When the insulation melted I guess it would eventually contact an energized wire to a grounded wire or earth ground, then tripping the breaker.
The problem could take considerable time to become catastrophic.

In industry infrared cameras or is used as part of an electrical preventative maintenance to catch problems before they become a big issue.

I have a Fluke 279FC that I have used around the house also.

Aluminum wire is especially bad because of the oxidation on aluminum creates hot connections.
Silver is the be$t because silver oxide is actually a good conductor. High current contractors for motors etc. use brazed silver pads to pass current.

In short hot spots can exist and get worse even without disturbing the receptacle, as long as there is a load on the wires.

I believe there are more highly qualified Fogbowsers who can confirm, add to or refute my take on it

A good trade magazine (free for tradespeople) is EC&M.
Maybenaut

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Maybenaut »

Reddog wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:38 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:32 pm Forgive my stupidity but how does an electrical outlet short out and start a fire? Not that I'm paranoid.
My guess is high resistance connection created heat, which eventually deteriorated the connection further, creating more heat. At some point the heat could combust flammable materials within range, including the wire insulation (unless it was glass insulated). When the insulation melted I guess it would eventually contact an energized wire to a grounded wire or earth ground, then tripping the breaker.
The problem could take considerable time to become catastrophic.

In industry infrared cameras or is used as part of an electrical preventative maintenance to catch problems before they become a big issue.

I have a Fluke 279FC that I have used around the house also.

Aluminum wire is especially bad because of the oxidation on aluminum creates hot connections.
Silver is the be$t because silver oxide is actually a good conductor. High current contractors for motors etc. use brazed silver pads to pass current.

In short hot spots can exist and get worse even without disturbing the receptacle, as long as there is a load on the wires.

I believe there are more highly qualified Fogbowsers who can confirm, add to or refute my take on it

A good trade magazine (free for tradespeople) is EC&M.
My husband has one of those and uses it both for detecting potential fire hazards and finding cold spots that need insulation.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Sorry, I'm still a one-armed man taking zombie pills (Gabapentin) to get through the day.

But I am not yet truly undead. I shall post photos later.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

A small fire. The blue box is full of magazines Behind it is a random piece of wood I use for small projects. That got burned. None of the hats were burned.

The damage you see was created with axes. But they needed to do that, or they get insecurities.
fire1.jpg
fire1.jpg (413.33 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Closeup of the ignition point.

fire2.jpg
fire2.jpg (324.97 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Frater I*I »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:34 pm Closeup of the ignition point.

fire2.jpg
I'm still not buying the story...I think you were trying to torch the place and collect on the insurance money...what business are yous in again... :think:

I'll see myself out :bag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:41 pm ...what business are yous in again... :think:
Insurance. :mrgreen:
Maybenaut

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Maybenaut »

Holy smokes!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Oh crap, I used my right (good) arm too much yesterday and it's dying. Appt. with shoulder doctor at 11. No functional arms remaining. :blackeye:
MN-Skeptic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:08 am Oh crap, I used my right (good) arm too much yesterday and it's dying. Appt. with shoulder doctor at 11. No functional arms remaining. :blackeye:
Ouch. :bighug:
Rooster Typing.jpg
Rooster Typing.jpg (27.18 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
Annrc
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Annrc »

Bummer!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

I have two dislocated shoulders, and I have surgery tomorrow afternoon to fix them. :blackeyebig:

Doc: I never saw anybody with two at the same time before.

Me: Yeah, but I didn't do anything! What did I do?

Doc: I don't know, but whatever it was, don't do it anymore.

Me: :roll:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:22 pm I have two dislocated shoulders, and I have surgery tomorrow afternoon to fix them. :blackeyebig:

Doc: I never saw anybody with two at the same time before.

Me: Yeah, but I didn't do anything! What did I do?

Doc: I don't know, but whatever it was, don't do it anymore.

Me: :roll:
Can't Wifehorn use that maneuver I've seen done many, many times in the movies and pop them back in place? :bag:

Sorry for your suffering, but yeah, whatever you was doing, don't do it anymore.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

:roll: It's not like I was pressure-testing a submersible, using shoulder power. :?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Were you flapping your wings in your Dancing with Barbells class?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”