This Is One Reason Charter Schools Suck

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Found on a charter school website, based in NC:

The bold text below is mine, theirs didn't transfer during the copy.

Our Pledge

The following pledge is for all faculty, employees, and students and is recited ever day after the pledge of allegiance. Elementary school students recite the lines in bold type and middle school students memorize and recite the whole pledge. We encourage each parent, guardian, or sponsor who agrees to mentor the student to stay faithful and encourage the tenets of the pledge, applying it to the student’s life and their own life as well.

I pledge to keep myself healthy in body, mind, and spirit,
staying physically fit,
mentally awake,
and morally straight.

I pledge to be truthful in all my works,
guarding against the stains of falsehood from
the fascination with experts,

the temptation of vanity,
the comfort of popular opinion and custom,
the ease of equivocation and compromise, and
from over-reliance on rational argument.

I pledge to be virtuous in all my deeds,
with the courage to exemplify
faith in my beliefs,
hope for a better future, and
charity towards my neighbor –
with prudence in new undertakings,
with justice when called on to judge,
with fortitude in the face of adversity, and
with temperance toward temptation.

I pledge to be obedient and loyal to those in authority,
in my family,
in my school, and
in my community and country,

So long as I shall live.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Is that the Chapter House of the Handmaiden School?
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Dave from down under wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:38 pm Is that the Chapter House of the Handmaiden School?
Wish this was fiction.

This is a "normal" charter school in North Carolina.

Obscene is what it is.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Your tax dollars hard at work creating the “perfect” society.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

:sick: :sick: :eek: :eek: :sick: :sick:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:vomit:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
realist

Post by realist »

Pretty much all of them seem to have some sort of "pledge" or similar. All different.

I'm sure I'll be the minority here, but two of my children attended Charter schools, by our choice, and no other reason. They both received excellent educations, were ahead of their friends in math, science and probably other subjects, both were accepted to the colleges of their choice and did well. I have no problem with Charter schools. I'm sure like any other business there are good, bad and better ones, but to lump them all into the "they suck" category in my experience and opinion is ... well, as are many other things that receive the same treatment ... just BS.
Image X 4
Image X 32
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

realist wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:16 pm Pretty much all of them seem to have some sort of "pledge" or similar. All different.

I'm sure I'll be the minority here, but two of my children attended Charter schools, by our choice, and no other reason. They both received excellent educations, were ahead of their friends in math, science and probably other subjects, both were accepted to the colleges of their choice and did well. I have no problem with Charter schools. I'm sure like any other business there are good, bad and better ones, but to lump them all into the "they suck" category in my experience and opinion is ... well, as are many other things that receive the same treatment ... just BS.
This is North Carolina, charter schools are an unregulated religious racket. There's no accountability, they're not required to meet any education standard outside ones the religious "leadership" that found them set.

Of course I can't speak about all of them, only the ones I have experience around. Those ones here in North Carolina uniformly suck at educating but excel at religious propaganda generation.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

John Thomas8 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:23 pm
realist wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:16 pm Pretty much all of them seem to have some sort of "pledge" or similar. All different.

This is North Carolina, charter schools are an unregulated religious racket. There's no accountability, they're not required to meet any education standard outside ones the religious "leadership" that found them set.

Of course I can't speak about all of them, only the ones I have experience around. Those ones here in North Carolina uniformly suck at educating but excel at religious propaganda generation.
My grandkids went to a charter school in North Carolina before they moved out of state (one graduated from the charter High School). Their school was very academically challenging, and the two still in school are two years ahead of their peers here in rural Virginia.

There was no religious BS at their school (my daughter wouldn’t have put up with that).
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Religion and Politics”