US v. Trump - Espionage Act - (9:23-cr-80101) District Court, S.D. Florida

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*

Will this case go to trial before the primary elections?

Yes, and it will be a wonderful circus
23%
No, Judge Cannon will dismiss the case on a motion to dismiss
5%
No, Trump’s attorneys will work out a plea bargain
2%
No, the case will be in the appeals court through the 2024 election
19%
No, Judge Cannon will grant numerous motions to delay the case
29%
No, this case will NEVER go to trial, but I don't know what will happen
8%
Some other option, which I will describe in a post.
3%
Debilitating brain aneurysm
10%

Total votes: 124

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, this is a really complex thing because of the secret documents that can't be made public, and the law that tells the court how to handle those issues (CIPA). So, lots of opportunity for Judge Cannon to mess up, or give Trump a (purported) reason to appeal before trial.

'Course, I'm hoping for "meteor strike" or even better, a plague of frogs. :towel:
Never trust a llama with a knife and a sombrero.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

One of my choices was no trial, but I’ll explain in the comments.

Maybe not an aneurism specifically, but I think something’s going to happen to Trump (NADT).

A good friend of mine (not a member of fogbow) watched the interview - I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch it. She said that Trump seemed more deranged than usual (syphilitic was the word she used).

So one potential option might be that he’ll have some competency issue. I’m not saying that *will* happen, or even that it’s likely - just another of a long list of possibilities.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I definitely think competency is in play here.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Is it likely his jury will be sequestered?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Estiveo wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:56 am My other option for the poll is Trump suffers a debilitating brain aneurysm...
in the courtroom, falls out of his chair, his bladder and bowels fail, and he vomits all over himself
...right before jury selection & spends the rest of his miserable life in an uncomfortable hospital bed, in the shittiest room at Mar-a-gogo, unable to communicate, with his only human contact being large, black, male nurses, because that's how Melania wants it.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:02 pm...in the courtroom, falls out of his chair, his bladder and bowels fail, and he vomits all over himself...
✅Change Approved!✅
Image Image Image Image
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Paretic syphilis. Or tertiary syphilis?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Reddog wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:42 pm Paretic syphilis. Or tertiary syphilis?
:rotflmao: Only on the Fogbow!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

Estiveo wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:56 am My other option for the poll is Trump suffers a debilitating brain aneurysm right before jury selection & spends the rest of his miserable life in an uncomfortable hospital bed, in the shittiest room at Mar-a-gogo, unable to communicate, with his only human contact being large, black, male nurses, because that's how Melania wants it.
Shouldn't that be Mar-a-poopoo? But I agree with the rest of it including the vomiting and shitting on himself in front of the jury.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Reddog wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:42 pm Paretic syphilis. Or tertiary syphilis?
why-not-both.jpg
why-not-both.jpg (116.3 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
Image Image Image Image
bob

Post by bob »

Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I know I'm the only plea bargain vote so far but it wouldn't be the first time he settled, especially if he can avoid jail time. Then he can crow to the MAGAts he was vindicated.

Narrator: He wasn't vindicated.

ImageImageImage x4
much ado

Post by much ado »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:41 pm I know I'm the only plea bargain vote so far but it wouldn't be the first time he settled, especially if he can avoid jail time. Then he can crow to the MAGAts he was vindicated.

What would a plea bargain even look like? What would he give up? What would he admit to?

Why would the DoJ be interested? To avoid lengthy litigation?

Does not make sense to me.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

much ado wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:12 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:41 pm I know I'm the only plea bargain vote so far but it wouldn't be the first time he settled, especially if he can avoid jail time. Then he can crow to the MAGAts he was vindicated.

What would a plea bargain even look like? What would he give up? What would he admit to?

I didn’t vote for plea bargain in the poll, but I could see it.

It would certainly save a lot of hassle and money for the government. They’re probably not all that interested in putting Trump in jail, and they’d get to say, See, no one is above the law.”

I’m less sanguine that Trump would go for it. Everything is transactional with him, and he’d need something more tangible than not going to prison since in his mind that’s not something that ought to be on the table anyway.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
much ado

Post by much ado »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:28 pm

It would certainly save a lot of hassle and money for the government. They’re probably not all that interested in putting Trump in jail, and they’d get to say, See, no one is above the law.”

I’m less sanguine that Trump would go for it. Everything is transactional with him, and he’d need something more tangible than not going to prison since in his mind that’s not something that ought to be on the table anyway.
Yes, but my question was what would a plea bargain actually consist of?

What actually would Trump admit he was guilty of?
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

much ado wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:18 pm

That’s impossible to predict, I think.

What it would look like would depend on the result of the negotiation. The government would want Trump to admit as much as it can get him to admit to. Trump would want to admit to as little as he can get away with.

The answer will depend on what each side thinks is a deal-breaker.

I could see, for example, the government requiring Trump to admit to retention of at least one of the classified documents. I could see Trump requiring the government to promise it won’t ask for jail time, for example.

But it’s all speculation.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

much ado wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:18 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:28 pm

I don't recall the show, but I watched Tacopina say DFG would never take a plea bargain.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

poplove wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:45 pm
I don't recall the show, but I watched Tacopina say DFG would never take a plea bargain.
I really don’t think he’d take one.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Even if he actually made a deal, he would change his mind the next time someone spoke to him. Trump makes decisions based on who last sopoke to him, to the extent that people used to literally fight in his administration to BE the last one to speak to him.

That's what Schumer said about negotiating with trump. He would agree to something then the next day say the opposite. Schumer said he is a terrible dealmaker. Trump THINKS he is a great dealmaker but he is actually terrible at it and just keeps going back on things. At best you might say its his way of trying to get a better offer, at worst you could say he cant deal with someone getting something from him or any sort of compromise.

A Plea deal is not happening. NEGOTIATIONS for a Plea Deal might, but Trump would turn around and blow it up. He literally cannot help himself.
Hic sunt dracones
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

So I voted YES, NO, and SOME OTHER OPTION WHICH I WILL DESCRIBE IN A POST.

Here's my other option: "I DON'T KNOW, BUT IT WILL BE SOMETHING UNEXPECTED"

I mean one has to cover all the bases doesn't one?
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm a contrarian by nature but this is my thought process: It would take a perfect storm, granted, but depending on the evidence Smith provides, the witness list, the real threat of jail time, even house arrest, (although I see that as more hyperbole than plausible), he might agree to some lesser charges/probation, ala Hunter Biden,which he would spin as complete absolution and his minions would buy it. Of course, the RWNJ media would push the absolution narrative as well so his reputation wouldn't be damaged in that circle. At least that's what his lawyers would tell him.

Didn't he say he'd never settle on the trump University thing, but he did. I think he has a long history of settling his civil suits but if they threaten to put him in solitary (for his own safety) in a SuperMax, he may reconsider. No spray tan, no dead ferret hairpiece and no lifts for his shoes. But he wouldn't have to button his top collar button so damn tight which would fix that, ahem, neck issue.

I find it plausible but that's just me.

Also too, this is Merrick Garland we're talking about and didn't we just see a WaPo article about him dragging his feet for a year on this crap? Ok, I think that was Jan 6, but still. Merrick Let's-Just-Put-This-On-the-Back-Burner-for- now Garland

ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:12 am
Didn't he say he'd never settle on the trump University thing, but he did. I think he has a long history of settling his civil suits but if they threaten to put him in solitary (for his own safety) in a SuperMax, he may reconsider.
That was just him putting out the "Me big tough guy ook ook I NEVER SETTLE ook ook" to look tough for the dipshits, but in reality the guy settled cases all the time.

That does not mean the justice department would offer a plea or believe any deal he proposed for a single second.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:04 pm Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
True dat.

Any plea bargain will also be affected by whether they insist that he pleads to at least one federal felony. Which would allow his political opponents to claim he's a felon, and thus disqualified for the office, even if the Constitution doesn't mention it.
Never trust a llama with a knife and a sombrero.
realist

Post by realist »

I have no idea what he may plead to or not in a plea bargain, but no matter what it may be, or even if he were tried and convicted of all or only one felony, I believe the chances of him doing time in prison is between slim and none and slim has left town.
Image X 4
Image X 32

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”