Titan Submersible Vessel

tek

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by tek »

The OceanGate CEO who is trapped on a 22-foot submersible on an ill-fated voyage to see the Titanic wreck once explained how he didn’t hire “50-year-old white guys” with military experience to captain his vessels because they weren’t “inspirational.”
Stockton Rush, 61, added that such expertise was unnecessary because “anybody can drive the sub” with a $30 video game controller.
“When I started the business, one of the things you’ll find, there are other sub-operators out there, but they typically have, uh, gentlemen who are ex-military submariners, and they ? you’ll see a whole bunch of 50-year-old white guys,” Rush told Teledyne Marine in a newly resurfaced undated Zoom interview.
“I wanted our team to be younger, to be inspirational and I’m not going to inspire a 16-year-old to go pursue marine technology, but a 25-year-old, uh, you know, who’s a sub pilot or a platform operator or one of our techs can be inspirational,” he continued.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by AndyinPA »

According to a story in WaPo or Guardian(?), it cost $250,000 per person to do that tour.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Jim

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Jim »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:34 pm According to a story in WaPo or Guardian(?), it cost $250,000 per person to do that tour.
Wonder what the insurance rate for going down in one of those things cost?
much ado

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by much ado »

Jim wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:59 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:34 pm According to a story in WaPo or Guardian(?), it cost $250,000 per person to do that tour.
When you're that rich, you don't need no stinkin' insurance.
Volkonski
Verified:

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Volkonski »

And don't forget to tip your sub pilot at least 15%. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by raison de arizona »

Voyage to Titanic wreckage is a ‘suicide mission’, says German explorer
Arthur Loibl, who visited the site in 2021 in the OceanGate Titan submersible, said he was ‘incredibly lucky’ to survive his trip

A German adventurer who went to the site of the Titanic wreck two years ago on the missing Titan submersible has described the voyage as a “suicide mission”....
:snippity: :snippity: :snippity:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... hur-loibl/
Paywall.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
somerset

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by somerset »

Nothing, if you go barefoot (which I expect is the case).
Suranis

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Suranis »

Ya. And what do you get for your quarter of a Million bucks? You drop like a stone for two and a half hours to get to the wreck. Then, you spend most of your time looking at cameras as you have one porthole as a window. Where the view isn't that good anyway as it has to be thick as heck to be rated for the pressure that down. Then you spend 3 and a half hours going back up. You cant stand up or walk around for the whole trip as the sub is too narrow.

Alternatively you can sit in the boat, send down a drone with cameras, drink martinis. And you can have fun driving the drone around and the convenience of being able to go to the toilet. And if the drone fails no lives are lost.

I feel a bit guilty about not really being upset at these people dying, but it really was a disaster waiting to happen. The people involved sound like first class idiots. Basic safety is boring, but helps people enjoy getting to old age.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by raison de arizona »

IMG_5205.jpeg
IMG_5205.jpeg (112.85 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by AndyinPA »

Um, I don't think getting into your car equals going into one of the most formidable places on the planet without safety features. Your car certainly has more than you seem to have on that submersible.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RTH10260 »

may be worth the time to listen to

I guess this was what our Mouse aka Suranis referenced futher up.

Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Reality Check »

My only regret is that the anti regulatory asshole Elon Musk didn't join CEO Stockton Rush. They sound like kindred souls. As for the rest? You can't fix stupid. Looks like the Darwin award win for 2023 is in the bag.
Suranis

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Suranis »

sub.jpg
sub.jpg (68.12 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Hic sunt dracones
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by neonzx »

Suranis wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:44 amsub.jpg
Looks like a cozy tomb for these crazies.

I've seen a couple of documentary videos over the years of the Titanic wreck at the bottom from the comfort of my living room.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by keith »

neonzx wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:16 am
Suranis wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:44 amsub.jpg
Looks like a cozy tomb for these crazies.

I've seen a couple of documentary videos over the years of the Titanic wreck at the bottom from the comfort of my living room.
:yeahthat:
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
busterbunker

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by busterbunker »

A helluva lot of inheritance just went down Davy Jones' locker. Oceangate might make Watergate look like a drop in the bucket. Chalk up another ship to the Hubris Triangle.

Hey, it's a writers strike, we gotta write our own lines, just filling in.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by bill_g »

Harding's final words with his wife: "Honey, you feed the dog. I'll feed the fish."
tek

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by tek »

d-1.jpg
d-1.jpg (278.09 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Flatpoint High »

and the Conspiracies have begun
4tsogg8ebi7b1.png
4tsogg8ebi7b1.png (432.52 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by northland10 »

Oh, the irony. Some rich dude complains about safety regulations and then his submersible goes down while viewing a ship whose sinking helped create a bunch of safety regulations.
101010 :towel:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by keith »

Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
RVInit

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RVInit »

somerset wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:54 pm
Nothing, if you go barefoot (which I expect is the case).
There was a discussion on CNN about this - they were not able to get insurance. And passengers had to sign a waiver that basically says they know this is experimental and they can die. Not sure this really holds up when families ultimately file their lawsuits as I suspect at this point they probably will not be found, raised to the surface, and hatch opened while they are still alive. Or possibly ever. I'm not even sure they could keep their body temperature above 95 degrees for as many hours as they had oxygen. It would be damn cold inside that thing. I'm sure they huddled together, but it's been over four days at this point at probably near freezing or freezing temperature.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
AndyinPA
Verified:

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/exped ... r-AA1cRmd8
"Expedition Unknown" host Josh Gates considered dedicating an episode of his Discovery Plus docuseries to the mysteries of the sunken Titanic but after trying out the OceanGate's Titan sub decided to pass.

As the search for the five people in the company's tiny submersible entered its fourth day, with oxygen and hope running out, Gates tweeted, "I had the unique opportunity to dive in the @Oceangate

#Titan sub with Stockton at the helm in preparation for its maiden mission to Titanic."

He continued, "To those asking, #Titan did not perform well on my dive. Ultimately, I walked away from a huge opportunity to film Titanic due to my safety concerns w/ the @OceanGate platform. There's more to the history and design of Titan that has not been made public – much of it concerning."
RVInit

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by RVInit »

Oh no. It is being reported that a debris field has been located near the Titanic. It's being evaluated and today's update has been delayed until 3 PM EST instead of the usual 1 PM EST.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
Sequoia32
Verified:

Titan Submersible Vessel

Post by Sequoia32 »

This has all been sickening. Have to keep telling myself to change the subject in my mind.

I hope if the debris field is them, that they went early and quickly.

Return to “Science”