US v. Trump - Espionage Act - (9:23-cr-80101) District Court, S.D. Florida

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*

Will this case go to trial before the primary elections?

Yes, and it will be a wonderful circus
24%
No, Judge Cannon will dismiss the case on a motion to dismiss
5%
No, Trump’s attorneys will work out a plea bargain
2%
No, the case will be in the appeals court through the 2024 election
20%
No, Judge Cannon will grant numerous motions to delay the case
28%
No, this case will NEVER go to trial, but I don't know what will happen
8%
Some other option, which I will describe in a post.
3%
Debilitating brain aneurysm
11%

Total votes: 123

chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

realist wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:45 pm
chancery wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:27 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:13 pm
Maybe bob or chancery will correct me, but I thought that depositions in criminal trials were the exception rather than the rule, and potential witnesses are deposed only when there is some need to preserve their testimony (like they have a terminal illness, for example), and only by order of the court after a showing of extraordinary circumstances.
:snippity:
IANACrL, but I have the same understanding.
Very common. I've done/seen hundreds of them, if not thousands.
RVInit wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:56 pm So, I guess federal cases must be different from state cases. I appreciate the lawyers weighing in and correcting me on this. I had been familiar that depositions are often used in criminal cases but didn't realize it was mostly for state level cases. :oopsy: :oopsy: :oopsy:

https://www.kevinkuliklaw.com/how-flori ... l-charges/
From RVInit's link:
Depositions in Florida Criminal Cases

If you are a defendant in a felony case, you have the right to depose all witnesses that may have information regarding the charges.
That's not the way it's done in New York State or any federal court I've practiced in, so clearly it's :shrug: :stars: :rolleye: .

Seriously, it seems weird to me. From the criminal law section of the wikipedia article on depositions:
Some jurisdictions provide that depositions may be taken for purposes of discovery. In these jurisdictions, the defendant does not have a constitutional right to be present, although such a right may be established by statute.
:confuzzled:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

As to that last sentence: Not gonna happen.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Off Topic
chancery wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:55 pm
realist wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:45 pm
chancery wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:27 pm

IANACrL, but I have the same understanding.
Very common. I've done/seen hundreds of them, if not thousands.
RVInit wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:56 pm So, I guess federal cases must be different from state cases. I appreciate the lawyers weighing in and correcting me on this. I had been familiar that depositions are often used in criminal cases but didn't realize it was mostly for state level cases. :oopsy: :oopsy: :oopsy:

https://www.kevinkuliklaw.com/how-flori ... l-charges/
From RVInit's link:
Depositions in Florida Criminal Cases

If you are a defendant in a felony case, you have the right to depose all witnesses that may have information regarding the charges.
That's not the way it's done in New York State or any federal court I've practiced in, so clearly it's :shrug: :stars: :rolleye: .

Seriously, it seems weird to me. From the criminal law section of the wikipedia article on depositions:
Some jurisdictions provide that depositions may be taken for purposes of discovery. In these jurisdictions, the defendant does not have a constitutional right to be present, although such a right may be established by statute.
:confuzzled:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

In the hundreds of cases I’ve worked on in the military only one involved a deposition. A recalcitrant victim refused to meet with defense counsel so the military judge ordered a deposition. The defense was able to use the deposition more effectively than if the defense counsel had merely interviewed her because the deposition was transcribed so she couldn’t say, “that’s not what I said!”
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

In Missouri, you can depose the prosecution's witnesses in any criminal case, including traffic cases and muni traffic cases on trial de novo.

https://www.courts.mo.gov/courts/ClerkH ... enDocument
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Bill Mitchell makes a huge announcement:
Bill Mitchell @mitchellvii 22m
MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT:
I'm going all in. Unless DeSantis wins the GOP nomination, I will quit social media and politics forever.

I can no longer work in a world where a narcissistic, lying, criminal like Trump is my party's nominee.

DeSantis is in or I'm out.
Bill Mitchell @mitchellvii
I'm locking down my posts. Only those I follow can reply. Every time I read a reply from one of these Trump whackos I lose a few brain cells and I don't have that many to spare.
Bye, Bill.

Reminder: My Clowns Twitter List at https://twitter.com/i/lists/1312003788702531586 is open now but I need to make it private again in the morning, a few MAGAts already saw it and blocked me. So check it out now and add whoever you want to a List.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I have thoughts, but I'm out the door for the day, Adventures with Ol' Wifehorn.

My favorite thing so far is Jack Smith being in the courtroom. I didn't hear Trump calling him a thug and a lunatic when they were in the same room. Jack put him in the defendant's chair and made him shut his damned mouth. :lol:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:51 am I have thoughts, but I'm out the door for the day, Adventures with Ol' Wifehorn.

My favorite thing so far is Jack Smith being in the courtroom. I didn't hear Trump calling him a thug and a lunatic when they were in the same room. Jack put him in the defendant's chair and made him shut his damned mouth. :lol:
I like the reports that Jack Smith stared tfg down the entire time and tfg just sat there with his head down. The PAB was afraid to make eye contact with Jack Smith.

That would make a great NFT card! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Ten things to think of before taking an escalator ride

10. Could I get indicated?
► Show Spoiler
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:50 am Ten things to think of before taking an elevator ride

10. Could I get indicated?
► Show Spoiler
escalator
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Is there a term for taking an escalator ride in elevator shoes?
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

jemcanada2 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:11 am
Foggy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:51 am I have thoughts, but I'm out the door for the day, Adventures with Ol' Wifehorn.

I like the reports that Jack Smith stared tfg down the entire time and tfg just sat there with his head down. The PAB was afraid to make eye contact with Jack Smith.

That would make a great NFT card! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That was my favorite part. The orange POS was afraid to make eye contact with Jack Smith. Great big tough guy is a scared little wimp.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I just love all these retired or fired by tfg former prosecutors speculating on the teevee.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Nice. The bond agreement.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I don't see anything on there about hanging out with felons (unless I missed it) so I suppose his appearance with Stone is A-OK.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Chilidog wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:36 am
RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:50 am Ten things to think of before taking an elevator ride
:snippity:
escalator
H/T - I had the replacement ready and it slipped thru :bag:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Well, now it's the next day and I have questions.

1. Where were Trump’s people?

As y'all know, he started putting out the call on Friday. They had four days. Anybody can travel anywhere in the world in four days. I could drive to California in four days, if'n I had to.They knew that guns were allowed. They knew that he was being charged with a crime, most unfairly, by people who are the real criminals. So where were they? :think: :confuzzled:

Dare I hope that the MAGAt frenzy is coming to the end?

2. If he books up a lot of rallies and fundraisers and stuff, will Jedi Aileen defer to his campaign schedule?

Judge: Howzabout September 11 for a hearing on that?

Lawyer: Oh no, he has a critically important rally that night in East Armpit, North Dakota.

Judge: Okay, well, let's see ...

'Cuz he could fill his whole schedule through the 2024 election.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
June bug

Post by June bug »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:49 am Is there a term for taking an escalator ride in elevator shoes?
An escalated escalator ride?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

andersweinstein wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:05 pm
There are only four judges for the jurisdiction that includes Palm Beach County. A local attorney says one of the four was effectively eliminated by prior scheduling, leaving only three judges to choose from. She needs more experience with criminal trials, but I would prefer she cut her teeth on something a little less critical than this one. It's not just that she is a Trump appointee or even that she was overturned. It was the commentary that her fellow judges used in writing their opinion when they overturned and explained why she had no jurisdiction to even take the case to begin with. I remember even in her very first reply to Trump when he filed in her court, she obviously knew she did not have jurisdiction as she questioned why he was filing in her court, but then went on to give hints as to what they could say that would prompt her to take the case. Then, Trump's attorneys responded by completely ignoring what she suggested, but then she just arbitrarily went ahead and took the case just because.

She is unserious. And has already shown highly questionable judgement. This is headed downhill. I expect prosecutors to wait to see how she rules and expect they will be prepared to appeal each and every decision if need be.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Jim

Post by Jim »

Which, of course, helps Trump with his delay, delay, and delay some more tactics.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Jim wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:35 pm Which, of course, helps Trump with his delay, delay, and delay some more tactics.
Oh, I fully expect she will give the Trump team anything their hearts desire. They will ask for the first court date to take place after the election next year and she'd likely be OK with that. Her previous decisions were so off base that one could only assume it was just plain and simple bias that drove her decision making.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I think the prosecution is ready for that.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

RVInit wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:41 pm
Jim wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:35 pm Which, of course, helps Trump with his delay, delay, and delay some more tactics.
Oh, I fully expect she will give the Trump team anything their hearts desire. They will ask for the first court date to take place after the election next year and she'd likely be OK with that. Her previous decisions were so off base that one could only assume it was just plain and simple bias that drove her decision making.
I was listening to some talking heads last and they said something about some guideline that it can't be delayed much because classified material something something.

I'll have to see if I can find more about it somewhere, not sure if it is A Thing or not.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

I read somewhere, maybe Joyce Vance, there are guidelines under CIPA, including expedited appeal on certain issues and the trial judge cannot set dates on those.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”