Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Special Counsel Jack Smith: Judgement Day (one way or the other)

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Derek From Nola @derekfromnola 13h
Replying to @blondina_winter @Michael25827300 and @mitchellvii
since i am no longer part of the cult, I look back at the last 6 years and wonder what was real and what wasnt when it came to him. We were had! That said we have a real option now to take the fight to the deep state so desantis or bust it is!
This is epic and tragic.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:shock: :o :cantlook:
Trump shared secret attack plans even though he was unauthorized to do so

In July 2021, Trump shared unauthorized information about his desire as president to attack a certain country and a classified conversation with a senior military official during an interview with an unnamed writer and their publisher.

“Look what I found, this was [the Senior Military Official’s] plan of attack, read it and just show … it’s interesting,” Trump told the writer, the publisher and two members of his staff, acknowledging he held on to classified documents detailing the plans. None of those he spoke with had security clearances to know that information.

“See as president I could have declassified it,” Trump said. “Now I can’t, you know, but this is still a secret.”

in https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... indictment
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

Laura Looney wrote:I literally am flying back from the West Coast to Miami . . .
Better she's flapping her wings than her gums.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Trump’s lawyer Christina Bobb says she’s not worried about the indictment because the Special Counsel doesn’t understand how the Presidential Records Act works.
somerset

Post by somerset »

Kendra wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:48 am
Trump’s lawyer Christina Bobb says she’s not worried about the indictment because the Special Counsel doesn’t understand how the Presidential Records Act works.
Who gets to tell her that "The President" is Joe Biden, not tfg?
bob

Post by bob »

Bill Mitchell wrote:Did Smith do Trump a big favor by appointing Trump Judge Aileen Cannon to oversee the case?
Except prosecutors don't get to judge shop. :brickwallsmall:

Normally I would say a computer with a sense of humor assigned this case to Cannon.

But Cannon likely drew this case because she already has touched the related proceedings. There's a presumption of judicial efficiency when a single judge focuses on related cases.

So a shipping clerk likely saw identical parties and subject matter, and internally linked the cases.
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I finally read the indictment from beginning to end. Holy hell, they seem to have built a strong case that anyone who reads it would understand.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Post by bob »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:09 pm I finally read the indictment from beginning to end. Holy hell, they seem to have built a strong case that anyone who reads it would understand.
Yeah; and you would (not) be surprised by how many of his defenders haven't read it.

It was written with an eye toward how the public (and history) would consume it. The authors were aware of an audience beyond just the judge and defendant.
Image ImageImage
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

bob wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:18 pm It was written with an eye toward how the public (and history) would consume it. The authors were aware of an audience beyond just the judge and defendant.
I thought that too when I read the quotes of Trump saying that he considered handling secret documents correctly to be very important. Otherwise its only value would be to deflect an argument of "I didn't know about that, nobody told me" but even this non-law-person knows that ignorance of the law is rarely a usable defense, and one unlikely to be employed by Trump, who is by his own admission claim the smartest guy in any room.
somerset

Post by somerset »

bob wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:14 pm
Bill Mitchell wrote:Did Smith do Trump a big favor by appointing Trump Judge Aileen Cannon to oversee the case?
Except prosecutors don't get to judge shop. :brickwallsmall:

Normally I would say a computer with a sense of humor assigned this case to Cannon.

But Cannon likely drew this case because she already has touched the related proceedings. There's a presumption of judicial efficiency when a single judge focuses on related cases.

So a shipping clerk likely saw identical parties and subject matter, and internally linked the cases.
How difficult/problematic is it to "unlink" things and get a new judge assigned?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I heard (on MSNBC I think) the following explanation for Aileen:

There are four subdivisions within the Southern District of Florida. On the cover sheet when they file an indictment, it asks which one is the scene of the crime (basically, you know what I mean). And the DOJ lawyers were obligated to check the box for the northern one, where Mierda Lardo is.

And there are only four judges in the northern subdivision, and one of them is familiar with the case.

Having said that, I suspect that Judge Cannon has not learned her lesson. I'd be surprised if she hasn't been speaking with Trump on the phone in the past 24 hours. I think she is going to sabotage the case.

But in the long run, it won't matter, so I refuse to be upset about it. :think:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bob wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:18 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:09 pm I finally read the indictment from beginning to end. Holy hell, they seem to have built a strong case that anyone who reads it would understand.
Yeah; and you would (not) be surprised by how many of his defenders haven't read it.

It was written with an eye toward how the public (and history) would consume it. The authors were aware of an audience beyond just the judge and defendant.
Before the indictment was unsealed, someone here (I think it was you, Bob) said that this might be a "speaking indictment", meaning that unlike most indictments, it would detail at least some of the important facts that led to the indictment.

I haven't read the entire indictment, and probably wouldn't understand it if I did, but did it turn out to be a speaking indictment, or do we have to wait for the trial to see the government's evidence?
bob

Post by bob »

somerset wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:04 pm How difficult/problematic is it to "unlink" things and get a new judge assigned?
Motion to recuse, essentially. While such a motion wouldn't surprise me, I can't say it will happen.

And Foogy is correct: Because of the crimes' situs, the indictment ultimately had to be sought in this venue.

But I doubt there was any 4-D chess about nominating supertoadies to this particular division.

If Donofrio keeps this up, he'll need his own thread.
Image ImageImage
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bob wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:52 pm If Donofrio keeps this up, he'll need his own thread.
The Stupid Thread.
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

NYT: Cannon assigned randomly through normal procedures per chief clerk; certain factors increase her odds of being the one to draw a West Palm Beach case (does not mention prior involvement). Assignment is permanent unless she recuses.

jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

I felt kind of bad for Christina Bobb because she got suckered into signing the paper that all the files had been returned. I believe she’s Attorney 3 in the indictment. After watching the above clip, I hope she gets a lesson on the PRA from Jack Smith.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Just looking at Judge Crazy Eyes, I know she's gonna do something crazy.

I don't know what it's going to be.

But it will be crazy. Maybe even sooper dooper crazy.

A man can dream. :daydreaming:
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

If she tries to appoint a special master or do anything similar to what she got judge slapped for previously, I'm sure a motion to recuse will be immediate.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:26 pm Just looking at Judge Crazy Eyes, I know she's gonna do something crazy.

I don't know what it's going to be.

But it will be crazy. Maybe even sooper dooper crazy.

A man can dream. :daydreaming:
Sooper dooper disbarred crazy would work for me.
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

noblepa wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:39 pm Before the indictment was unsealed, someone here (I think it was you, Bob) said that this might be a "speaking indictment", meaning that unlike most indictments, it would detail at least some of the important facts that led to the indictment.

I haven't read the entire indictment, and probably wouldn't understand it if I did, but did it turn out to be a speaking indictment, or do we have to wait for the trial to see the government's evidence?
It's very much a speaking indictment and, as Bob said above, it's speaking to a lay audience. So you should read it, and I'm sure you will understand it.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Noblepa, read it. You’ll understand it just fine. Mr Smith made absolutely sure of that. Even MTG would, if she bothered to read it.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yes, it's crafted as a story, and a very interesting story. It isn't short, because it includes a lot of details. But the details are relevant and necessary.

It's not a masterpiece of legal writing. It might not get a high grade as a law school assignment. But it's a masterpiece. I really enjoyed reading it.

My dad is 95, and he enjoyed it.
tek

Post by tek »

Foggy wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:26 pm Just looking at Judge Crazy Eyes, I know she's gonna do something crazy.
I hope it is sufficiently crazy it leaves no doubt that she's gotta be kicked off the case.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

She's got that Michele Bachmann look. :shock:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I listened to Joyce Vance on Preet Bharara's show on Friday. She says in the past she has worked on cases where she requested the judge be recused and she opines there is a good chance Cannon's record of obvious bias rulings in the first round will get her booted off the case. It isn't enough that Trump foisted her onto the court (after he had already lost the 2020 election), but it's her record on the case where there wasn't a scintilla of legal justification for her rulings that can likely get her removed from the case.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “Current Politics”