What are you watching?

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Thank you for the recommends.

Wow, RRR is a 3 hour flick, that may require a 3-day watch to get through.

The Boondock Saints.(I see there is also a later II). Which is better?

Peaky Blinders looks interesting and has very high viewer ratings -- but it is 6 seasons. I dunno if I can binge that much. In my elder years I overall prefer the one and done film.
bob

What are you watching?

Post by bob »

neonzx wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:24 pmPeaky Blinders looks interesting and has very high viewer ratings -- but it is 6 seasons. I dunno if I can binge that much.
Peaky Blinders was fun. And the seasons are comparatively short, like less than 10 episodes per season.

Having said that, I think you could watch the first few seasons and get it. It ultimately got repetitive: Those Shelby Family members are bad-ass mobsters who get tasked to do Some Big Job that has implications beyond just money; moral questions abound; some cutie shows up to be Tommy's love interest of the season; and Things Go Awry but sorta work out, to set up next iteration, but only bigger and brasher than the last.
Image ImageImage
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

neonzx wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:24 pm Thank you for the recommends.

Wow, RRR is a 3 hour flick, that may require a 3-day watch to get through.

The Boondock Saints.(I see there is also a later II). Which is better?

Peaky Blinders looks interesting and has very high viewer ratings -- but it is 6 seasons. I dunno if I can binge that much. In my elder years I overall prefer the one and done film.
Um, versus a 3-day watch, a certain most popular YouTube video of all time about Selachimorpha, elasmobranch fish characterized by a cartilaginous skeleton, is only two minutes. Three days are 4320 minutes, so that would be 2160 times to watch said video. :P

Damn Shonda Rhimes, Charlotte was too good and had to watch it. They try something interesting in episode four, not sure it totally works, but enjoyed seeing it. Lots of people like it more than the original Bridgerton.

ETA: More on Queen Charlotte, and an idea.

We all have so many different and wonderful interests. Thinking about it, had an idea: we could have Fogbow Ratings so when we watch something, we can compare it to reviews here to learn about folks who enjoy the same types of content. (Of course, we all give Mama June: From Not To Hot: Road To Redemption" 5 Stars. :wink:). So here are my ratings on Queen Charlotte. Not all shows deserve so many ratings, this is just for example.

I think it's a beautiful love story... actually a series of love stories. It's masterfully executed and beautifully acted. It's original in its storytelling (Netflix provides wonderful flexibility; the last episode, 6, runs 90 minutes). I have very high praise for this, even higher than the original Bridgerton. Out of 10:

Overall: 8.5
Cinematography/Art Direction: 8.5
Acting: 9
Story and Creative Concepts: 8.5
Direction: 8
Music: 8.5 (loved the use of contemporary songs reorchestrated to classical instruments)

If anyone else watches it, I'd love to hear your ratings too.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Slim Cognito
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm going to watch a lot more Disney, starting with Muppets Most Wanted. How can you not love a movie where Kermie ends up in a Russian Gulag directing a prisoner talent show with Tina Fey producing, and Ray Liotta and Danny Trejo singing and dancing?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
John Thomas8

What are you watching?

Post by John Thomas8 »

I've always been impressed with Mike Holmes' passion:

neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Another film I missed (2012). Ted starring Mark Wahlberg and his Teddy Bear. When he was 8 he makes a Xmas wish for Teddy to be alive... and it happens. Fast forward 25 years and they are BFFs. It is not a PG rated movie. LOL :lol: It is stupid silly adult humor entertainment. Sometimes that is good medicine.

It is on the Netflix.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

What are you watching?

Post by Frater I*I »

neonzx wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:26 pm Another film I missed (2012). Ted starring Mark Wahlberg and his Teddy Bear. When he was 8 he makes a Xmas wish for Teddy to be alive... and it happens. Fast forward 25 years and they are BFFs. It is not a PG rated movie. LOL :lol: It is stupid silly adult humor entertainment. Sometimes that is good medicine.

It is on the Netflix.
I like it and it's sequel...my friend and I thought we were gonna be thrown out of the theater for laughing so hard...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:31 pm
neonzx wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:26 pm Another film I missed (2012). Ted starring Mark Wahlberg and his Teddy Bear. When he was 8 he makes a Xmas wish for Teddy to be alive... and it happens. Fast forward 25 years and they are BFFs. It is not a PG rated movie. LOL :lol: It is stupid silly adult humor entertainment. Sometimes that is good medicine.

It is on the Netflix.
I like it and it's sequel...my friend and I thought we were gonna be thrown out of the theater for laughing so hard...
Checked into Ted 2, but it's pay-per-view only. And sequels normally suck by default and not worth the $$. But if I was hanging with you and your friend at the movie in 2012, we may have got booted from the theater.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

What are you watching?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Future watching!

TWO! Count 'em! TWO videos!! A trailer and a Ben Kingsley interview!

https://www.openculture.com/2023/05/wat ... iland.html
Watch Ben Kingsley Play Salvador Dalí in the Trailer for the New Film, Dalíland

By itself, the prospect of seeing Sir Ben Kingsley play Salvador Dalí would be enough to get more than a few moviegoers into the theater (or onto their couches, streaming). But then, so would the prospect of seeing him play practically anyone: Mahatma Gandhi (as the Academy acknowledged), or Georges Méliès, or Dmitri Shostakovich, or a foulmouthed London gang enforcer. Dalíland, which comes out next month, promises a rich portrayal of Dalí not just by Kingsley, but by also Ezra Miller, an actor possessed of a physical resemblance to the artist in his youth as well as a public life seen as scandalous and occasionally criminal.

This choice of casting, with the troubled Miller playing the young Dalí and the ultra-respectable Kingsley playing the old, reflects a certain intent to capture the duality of the character himself. Kingsley has spoken of developing his interpretation of Dalí “based on his language; his behavior; his taste in love, life, food, wine, and everything; and also his daring to break so many rules.”
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

Netflix. The Inside Man. David Tennant, Stanley Tucci, Dolly Wells, Lydia West. It came out in the fall, but I just got around to watching it yesterday. Just four episodes. Drama-thriller with a touch of comedy. Really enjoyed it. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:11 pm Netflix. The Inside Man. David Tennant, Stanley Tucci, Dolly Wells, Lydia West. It came out in the fall, but I just got around to watching it yesterday. Just four episodes. Drama-thriller with a touch of comedy. Really enjoyed it. :thumbsup:
The Netflix machine is telling me I have watched it. It is very good and is only 4 episodes so you're not dragged into a neverending soap opera series. I liked David Tennant in this -- outside of what I've seen him do before.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:25 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:11 pm Netflix. The Inside Man. David Tennant, Stanley Tucci, Dolly Wells, Lydia West. It came out in the fall, but I just got around to watching it yesterday. Just four episodes. Drama-thriller with a touch of comedy. Really enjoyed it. :thumbsup:
The Netflix machine is telling me I have watched it. It is very good and is only 4 episodes so you're not dragged into a neverending soap opera series. I liked David Tennant in this -- outside of what I've seen him do before.
I'm a big David Tennant fan. Both he and Tucci were great in their roles, as were the women.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

What are you watching?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.openculture.com/2023/05/the ... tings.html
John Singer Sargent’s Scandalous Paintings: An Introduction to Madame X and Dr. Pozzi at Home
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

Watched the final episode of Season 2 of Yellowjackets on Sunday. Still trying to process it.
Phoenix520
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Phoenix520 »

We stumbled upon Borgen on Netflix while looking for European noir. It’s the nickname for Christianborg, where the Danish government is seated.

Birgitte Nyborg is the new Danish PM, the first woman. Danish politics is not a thing I know anything about. I almost didn’t watch it - I’m sick of politics, I tell ya - but was hooked by the first episode.

The cast is excellent. The only actor I recognize is Pilou Asbæk (Euron Greyjoy in GoT). What’s really interesting to me is how different/same their politics are from ours.

Somehow, the business of the state gets done amongst all the infighting. They are constantly vying to “topple the government”, and position themselves to be the first on the next rung of the ladder. The Press are different, too, more feared and respected than ours.

There are four seasons, covering her four years as PM. I see there’s also an 8 episode sequel released last year.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

I think Denmark is the only other country to have a debt ceiling limit.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Go Denmark! I love that country and the people. Thanks for mentioning it, definitely will be watching.

Barbecue Showdown Season 2 just started on Netflix. I can't boil water, but love BBQ and how it's done. This competition show is great fun. Melissa Cookston and Kevin Bludso are terrific judges, and Michelle Buteau is also the host of The Circle. The casting is always fun with a cross-section of pitmasters. Season 1 was terrific, hoped there would be a S2 and it just popped up.

Beware of watching it if you're hungry -- you can smell the deliciousness through the screen.

ETA: Forgot to mention that Season 5 of All American is now on Netflix too. It's a CW show and S5 is 20 big episodes. Spencer James, the lead, turns out to be... British. And doesn't play football. His interview hearing his English accent is hilarious. He has a coach for football and speech and was shocked when heard the interview.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Thanks to Neon, here's another Netflix show to watch -- Floribama Shore. There are 75 episodes over 4 seasons so Neon said it's a heavy binge. Netflix has Season 1 with Jeremiah Buoni and Codi Butts. Amazon Prime has Season 4. If you look closely at episode 3, I think that's Neon on the mechanical bull.
Watch MTV Floribama Shore / Netflix
Eight lively young Southerners gather in a popular beach town on Florida's Emerald Coast for a summer of hookups and wild adventures, Floribama-style.

It's a serious, thoughtful show.

Jeremiah's Insta: https://www.instagram.com/jeremiahbuoni/?hl=en

neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

No, don't listen to orlylicious. I don't even have "MTV" and such cable channels. (that channel hasn't been "music" since perhaps 1990)

I will give a recommend... if any of you liked Leverage, there is a Netflix series in that vein/style. Comedic, lots of pop culture references but fast with action. It is called FUBAR on the Netflix. Season 1 (2023) is 8 episodes.
A C.I.A. operative on the edge of retirement discovers a family secret and is called back into the field for one last job.
Stars
Arnold SchwarzeneggerMonica BarbaroMilan Carter
https://www.netflix.com/title/81397077
Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

This continues to be a fav show -- Four in a Bed is a UK show where four sets of B&B owners visit and rate each other's properties. It's a great look at many parts of the UK, there's an attraction to visit each show with cathedrals, museums, farms, arts, or whatever the hosts want to showcase. It's fun to have a map in another tab to see all the locations.

The B&B owners are hardworking people and many are funny, there are some real eccentrics. It's a 30-minute show, Mon-Thu they all visit a different place each day. There are also contestants who are obviously trying to sabotage the competition to win by tanking their feedback/ratings and that makes for some fireworks on the Friday shows when they "settle some scores".

The show's been on forever so there are hundreds of shows. Channel4.com has a ton of other content too. Use a VPN if you're not in the UK and it works fine. With Adblock and Ghostery, it even skips the ads.

As an example of cool people and places, this pub and inn was great and the owner Jo Sandercock was a military guy, he was excellent. This is his episode mid-week: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/fou ... /73588-013

It's a 14th Century place, website: http://www.malthousetintagel.com/our-rooms/

Four in a Bed: Tintagel pub owner who saved 14th century inn 'winner' in viewers' eyes
Jo Sandercock has become a favourite with fans of the show after being the "perfect" host to his guests
ByMaisie Lillywhite Senior Audience Writer
18:52, 8 MAR 2023 UPDATED18:59, 8 MAR 2023

Jo stood outside The Olde Malthouse in Tintagel, Cornwall
Jo saved The Olde Malthouse from being turned into flats (Image: Channel 4)

Four In a Bed fans are hoping that a Tintagel inn owner wins this week's competition, which is mostly set in Cornwall. The Channel 4 show returned tonight, March 8, for a historic night at Jo Sandercock's 14th century pub, The Olde Malthouse in Fore Street, Tintagel, as he pulled out all the stops for his guests.

The Olde Malthouse boasts eight rooms in the heart of a village steeped in Arthurian legend, costing up to £135 per night at the time of filming, including breakfast. Jo's guests, who own accommodation and hotels in Gorran Haven, St Keverne and Sherborne in Dorset, were wowed by the traditional charm of the cosy rooms in the historic inn, although they did find a few hairs and a loose toilet seat in one room.

After taking his guests on a brisk walk along the local coastline, where they marvelled at the history of Tintagel Castle and the legendary cave beneath it, ex-soldier Jo welcomed them into the bar at The Olde Malthouse for a drink. As they chatted, Hannah Steele, who runs The Britannia Inn in Dorset with her husband, Lee, asked the publican what drew him to the inn.
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/celeb ... er-8230397
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

orlylicious, we need to expand your horizons beyond trashy reality TV. Not sure how to do it.

:P
Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Neon, it takes a village ;)

Kanopy https://www.kanopy.com/ is great, it's through Broward Library and gives six free credits a month... they have wonderful foreign films and classics. Most libraries provide access. Have been catching up on films I haven't seen in ages. Here are a few:

The Great Gatsby 1974 2hr 23min
The '20s never roared louder than in this sumptuously romantic retelling of F. Scott Fitzgerald's Jazz Age classic. Robert Redford stars as Jay Gatsby, who had once loved beautiful, spoiled Daisy Buchanan (Mia Farrow), then lost her to a rich boy. But now Gatsby is mysteriously wealthy… and ready to risk everything to woo Daisy back. A winner of two Academy Awards, THE GREAT GATSBY features a stellar cast and an elegant script by Francis Ford Coppola.'

Dial M for Murder 1954 1hr 45min
Ex-tennis pro Tony Wendice (Ray Milland) wants to have his wealthy wife, Margot (Grace Kelly), murdered so he can get his hands on her inheritance. When he discovers her affair with Mark Halliday (Robert Cummings), he comes up with the perfect plan to kill her. He blackmails an old acquaintance into carrying out the murder, but the carefully-orchestrated set-up goes awry. Now Wendice must frantically scheme to outwit the police and avoid having his plot detected. Nominated for a BAFTA Award for Best Foreign Actress (Grace Kelly). "The depth of focus, framing of characters and objects and use of the claustrophobic sets add extra pleasure to what was already a thoroughly enjoyable "perfect crime" nail-biter." - Allan Hunter, Daily Express (UK)

The Watermelon Woman 1996 1hr 25min
Cheryl Dunye plays a version of herself in this witty, nimble landmark of New Queer Cinema. A video store clerk and fledgling filmmaker, Cheryl becomes obsessed with the “most beautiful mammy,” a character she sees in a 1930s movie. Determined to find out who the actress she knows only as the “Watermelon Woman” was and make her the subject of a documentary, she starts researching and is bowled over to discover that not only was Fae Richards (Lisa Marie Bronson) a fellow Philadelphian but also a lesbian. The project is not without drama as Cheryl’s singular focus causes friction between her and her friend Tamara (Valarie Walker) and as she begins to see parallels between Fae’s problematic relationship with a white director and her own budding romance with white Diana (fellow filmmaker Guinevere Turner). Winner of Best Feature Film at the Berlin International Film Festival.

Hadn't seen this since it first came out, it's epic.

Reds 1981 3hr 15min
The story of John Reed, American Communist, journalist and activist, whose love affair with writer/feminist Louise Bryant (Diane Keaton) unfolds against the explosive backdrop of the Russian Revolution. The winner of 3 Academy Awards including Best Director.

Was involved with the play when it started at the Imperial on Broadway in 2007.

August: Osage County 2013 2hr 00min
Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts lead an all-star cast. A family crisis unites a dispersed group of siblings at the Oklahoma house they grew up in with the dysfunctional woman who raised them.

But importantly, I promise to keep you posted when FBoy* Island Season 3 hits The CW! So many at Fogbow were inconsolable when HBO canceled it, but the CW heard the pleas and it will be back! :P
FBoy Island 3 was announced to have been picked up by The CW after HBO canceled it, here's what we know about the upcoming new season. American dating reality television series FBoy Island is coming back with season three, this time on The CW after HBO canceled it post the release of season two. Fans of the show were ecstatic to find out their favourite reality series will be returning for another season and here is everything we know about the upcoming season three which was announced in May 2023.

FBoy Island's synopsis reads, "Three women on a tropical island are joined by 24 men, where half of them are self-proclaimed 'Nice guys' and the other half 'F-boys.' Whom will the women choose and will they find real love?" The concept of the show includes the three female contestants trying to figure out which of the male contestants are Nice guys who have come to find love and who are the F-boys who seek a cash prize and some hookups.

FBoy Island 3 release date and host
Despite the announcement of its renewal in May 2023, there has been no official release date announcement but the reality series is expected to premiere on The CW towards the end of the year. Stand-up comedian and actress Nikki Glaser will continue to remain the host of the series. "I'm so damn excited that my favorite reality TV show is coming back. It's icing on the cake that I get to host it again," the 39-year-old said in a statement.
https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment ... re-1223932

*F-Boys stands for Fu*k Boys.
John Thomas8

What are you watching?

Post by John Thomas8 »

RVInit

What are you watching?

Post by RVInit »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:34 pm Unapologetic cynicism:

https://www.youtube.com/@Honest_Ads
:lol: watched the honest cruise ad. Thanks.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Grumpy Git
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Grumpy Git »

Having fun with this series.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”