Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Special Counsel Jack Smith: Judgement Day (one way or the other)

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Well - it's the newest and bestest technology avaiable - noone stores their backup any longer in the cloud. Why wait until it rains. Just store the videos in the server pool. :twisted:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Such a coincidence, isn't it? And I'm not a lawyer or a criminal defendant, but I'm guessing that the Feds couldn't take the worker's phone without an order from a judge?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Story on Trump lawyers' meeting w/DOJ updated to include existence of a separate grand jury in classified documents case that is sitting in Florida and is hearing from new witnesses up to at least Wednesday.
w/
@maggieNYT
and
@GlennThrush
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

So charges in DC and FL?
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:33 pm So charges in DC and FL?
Hope so :popcorn:

Andrew Weisman was talking about it on DeadLine WH. For stuff that took place in FL, i.e. MAL employees helping out in the *cough* cover up *cough* would have committed those acts in FL = FL grand jury jurisdiction and not DC grand jury jurisdiction. At least that's how I understood it. We all need law degrees following this stuff. :oldlady:
bob

Post by bob »

Kendra wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:17 pmAnd I'm not a lawyer or a criminal defendant, but I'm guessing that the Feds couldn't take the worker's phone without an order from a judge?
Yes (although consent is technically an option.)
Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

So the documents investigation has two fronts, FL and DC? And there's also a Jan6 investigation?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:11 pm So the documents investigation has two fronts, FL and DC? And there's also a Jan6 investigation?
That's what I understand from today's news, but :oldlady: so grain of salt and all.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:popcorn:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:57 pm
Suranis wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:56 pm You wouldn't believe the amount of times I drained a pool into a server room when I was doing tech support.
I was hoping someone might clarify that. Thank you, Suranis. :biggrin:
I have actually had to deal with the aftermath of a flooded server room, though not flooded by a pool (not sure how they would pull that off). It resulted in months and months of fun. Our production servers were all backed up so there was no loss of data but we had to live on slow temp servers for longer than I would have preferred.

The various test environments were a total loss which was disappointing and it took IT forever to get them back up and running (an annoying problem if you need to update things and deploy them to production). The one good part was it washed away a huge mailing list project I was so happy to forget. Sadly, last year, I had need to go to the Quality Assurance environment whose server is housed in India. That stupid mailing list project was still there.. Doh.
101010 :towel:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Suranis wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:56 pm You wouldn't believe the amount of times I drained a pool into a server room when I was doing tech support.
The closest incident in my career is still one about which I tell the tale. It goes thusly:

From March-ish 2006 until June-ish 2008, I was the one-man-band IT team of a mental health clinic with two locations -- an outpatient and administrative center, and an inpatient center. The clinic's inpatient arm dealt with youth who were dual diagnosis; i.e., having both a drug or alcohol or other substance abuse behavior *and* an underlying mental health issue.

On Mother's Day weekend of 2007, one particular in-patient decided that though his own mother was deceased, everyone else on the floor deserved to go home to theirs, and so he did something that was simultaneously clever, stupid, and destructive. He lay on his bed -- the top bunk in his room -- and kicked the ceiling-mounted sprinkler-head until the pressure valve on it broke and it went off. This set off all the other sprinklers in that area as the fire alert system assumed that the first sprinkler went off rightly due to a fire.

Due to bad design when they had first built the building that neither the two part-time contractors who came before me, nor myself as the first full-time salaried dude in the gig could resolve, the clinical treatment dorm rooms were above the server room. So flooding those floors with water also collapsed the plaster ceiling on our clinic location's server room.

Did I mention that the kid did this at 2am? So by 2:30am, I get the call, drag my butt out of bed with apologies to my then-live-in-SO-now-ex-wife, and drive the half-hour to that location from my home. Myself and the clinical director, in shorts and t-shirts that were soon ruined, spent until dawn shoveling wet plaster off of and away from the servers and erecting temporary diversions to the still-dripping water. Years later, I still tell that story because that clinical director, though we have not really crossed professional paths since, is the kind of man for whom I will work anywhere, anytime. He had no reason to roll up his sleeves and help me, but he felt that as clinical director, he needed to take co-ownership of a job too big for me to do on my own. So, yeah.

Not as cool as draining an entire pool, but I always thought to myself, and still do, 16 years later, "That kid has more wit and creative problem solving energy than any CEO I have ever known."
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:46 pm From the CNN article cited above -
Prosecutors from the special counsel’s office have focused their obstruction inquiries around Trump, Trump’s body man Walt Nauta and a maintenance worker who helped Nauta move boxes of classified documents ahead of federal agents searching the property last summer, and potentially others, sources told CNN.

The sources say that the maintenance worker is the person who drained the pool that led to the flooding of the IT room where the surveillance footage was held.
So... the maintenance worker who helped move the boxes is the SAME maintenance worker who drained the pool.

Nothing suspicious there! :roll:
And he's also the one who had asked about the timeframe that video is saved, i.e. how many days/months is video saved before it's overwritten. He seems concerned about what might be on that video.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I heard Parlatore on CNN tonight. He was asked the question "Was the video supplied to the special counsel from Mar-a-Lago complete"? They were getting at the fact that the video turned over from Mar-a-Lago was missing certain days - most likely the days that boxes were moved out and then back in to the storage room. Parlatore did not answer honestly - he kept saying "The special counsel has complete video from Mar-a-Lago" and then went on to talk about how victimized Trump's team is - we are being accused of not turning over all the video. Well, to say that Smith "has all the video" is not the same as "he got the complete video from us, we absolutely turned over all video with no missing time frames".
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Indictment Watch, what an insane concept for wannabe American leaders.

Costa did a roundup for CBS Evening News, not really anything new but a catch-up putting Pence, Haley, RDS and other events in context.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Ben-Prime wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:37 pm
The closest incident in my career is still one about which I tell the tale. It goes thusly:

:snippity:

Not as cool as draining an entire pool, but I always thought to myself, and still do, 16 years later, "That kid has more wit and creative problem solving energy than any CEO I have ever known."
Ouch. I never had to deal with a water flooded computer room, but one time the computer room got flooded with hydraulic fluid.

In the late 60's, early 70's CDC had a disk unit that held 64K 60 bit words. Man those things were big! As in 4ft on a side cubes. The platters were 3 1/2 foot in diameter. Several dead platters were in various dorm room as coffee tables.

The heads were moved by hydraulics, and the rods were so worn that the gaskets kept wearing out, but to replace them meant they had to be made bespoke, there was about a two or three month lead time, and they were extremely expensive. The University was too cheap to pay for it, so they relied on the maintenance guys to keep replacing the gaskets before they blew out altogether.

One day the gaskets failed altogether in spite of the attention paid to them. I happened to be on the operators desk at the time and a strange message came up on the console. I called the systems programmer who came running screaming "Hit the off button HIT THE FUCKING OFF BUTTON". Just as I slammed the off button the disk drive shat its load all over the computer room under floor.

We were cleaning up that soggy smelly mess for weeks. The worst was bailed out in a few hours, but it got into everything under the floor.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

If Walt Nauta lied to FBI investigators while physically in Florida that false statement charge can only be brought in FLA. Absent his waiving venue, which he won’t do. That cd be the reason for all the FLA buzz we are hearing.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

EXCLUSIVE: Special Counsel Jack Smith, who is overseeing the Trump classified documents investigation, is questioned by NBC News' @GaryGrumbach about the timing of a possible indictment. Smith did not respond to questions.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Since when is someone NOT answering questions considered "breaking news?"
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

He's EXCLUSIVELY ignoring NBC News. :boxing:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:06 pm Since when is someone NOT answering questions considered "breaking news?"
Breaking news: Jack Smith did not shave off his beard!
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

poplove wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:34 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:06 pm Since when is someone NOT answering questions considered "breaking news?"
Breaking news: Jack Smith did not shave off his beard!
Next up, GOP protestors demanding he FREE THE BEARD!
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:waiting: for an indictment.

I expect that prior to that happening, would unusual activity start with Capitol Police and DC Police prior to any announcement, like it did with the Bragg indictment?
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Mark Meadows testfied to the Grand Jury. Clip is of Nicolle Wallace:

Mark Meadows Testified to Grand Jury in Special Counsel Investigation of Trump
Mr. Meadows, the final White House chief of staff under Donald Trump, is seen as a potentially key witness in the documents and Jan. 6 inquiries.
By Jonathan Swan, Michael S. Schmidt and Maggie Haberman June 6, 2023, 5:32 p.m. ET

Mark Meadows, the final White House chief of staff under President Donald J. Trump and a potentially key figure in inquiries related to Mr. Trump, has testified before a federal grand jury hearing evidence in the investigations being led by the special counsel’s office, according to two people briefed on the matter. Mr. Meadows is a figure in both of the two distinct lines of inquiry being pursued by the special counsel appointed to oversee the Justice Department’s scrutiny of Mr. Trump, Jack Smith.

One inquiry is focused on Mr. Trump’s efforts to cling to power after losing the 2020 election, culminating in the attack by a pro-Trump mob on the Capitol during congressional certification of the Electoral College results on Jan. 6, 2021. The other is an investigation into Mr. Trump’s handling of hundreds of classified documents after he left office and whether he obstructed efforts to retrieve them. It is not clear precisely when Mr. Meadows testified or if investigators questioned him about one or both of the cases.

For months, people in Mr. Trump’s orbit have been puzzled by and wary about the low profile kept by Mr. Meadows in the investigations. As reports surfaced of one witness after another going into the grand jury or to be interviewed by federal investigators, Mr. Meadows has kept largely out of sight, and some of Mr. Trump’s advisers believe he could be a significant witness in the inquiries. Mr. Trump himself has at times asked aides questions about how Mr. Meadows is doing, according to a person familiar with the remarks.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/06/us/p ... -jury.html
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I watched part of the CNN coverage, but still wondering - did he testify today, or sometime in the past days/weeks?
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

From the NYT story:
It is not clear precisely when Mr. Meadows testified or if investigators questioned him about one or both of the cases.
As with 98% of the recent reporting concerning the Special Counsel's investigation, this was pretty clearly another self-serving leak from counsel for Trump or other witnesses. Doesn't mean it's false, but it's undoubtedly incomplete and subject to spin; and so take it with some salt.

Return to “Current Politics”